• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Still digging and it would seem that this is an ongoing problem that needs some clarity. In this FOI request https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_tax_an_unjust_law_is_a_c_9?unfold=1 the repsonse regarding one of those cases was: Stepney Corporation v Osofsky (1937) held that the debtor has first choice over allocation of payments; that the choice may be express or implied, and that the creditor cannot exercise discretion unless there is no indication by the debtor.

Surely implied choice must be to the best advantage of the debtor, not the creditor?

Why aren't we revolting?

This from Wakefield https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/allocation_of_funds_towards_coun_6?unfold=1

"With regard to this particular scenario the payment would not be automatically allocated to the earliest non-secured debt. As mentioned in our previous response we must have regard to the debtor's intentions , be those express or implied, before appropriating the payment.

If the debtor subsequently advises what their intentions were regarding a particular payment it would be re- allocated accordingly."

Why aren't we revolting?

You

Which is what has been said earlier - the Council will match the payment as best they can but if made aware later they'll look again at it.

The council would be quite within their rights though to argue a payment was allocated as it matched the amount and the request is just being made not to change that in order to frustrate their actions under legislation (this was discussed within Osofsky but it was not part of the ruling).

If something was regard by the magistrates simply as an attempt to frustrate justice they'd be quite within their powers to agree with the local authority and allow the summons to stand.

An appeal to a higher court would then be needed.

I don't think he is (not intentionally anyway) - but if he was to state to the council about the payment made in respect of the reminder and that it should have been allocated differently then the council are likely to take it that he is (as may well the court).

They may allow him discretion though if he asks nicely and doesn't have a past history of non-payment.

They may allow him discretion though if he asks nicely and doesn't have a past history of non-payment.

This may well be how the council would like people to 'behave', but it is evident that he does have a history of struggling with payments, and both parties have the potential to be nice, do they not? It's plain where your expertise comes from.

Why aren't we revolting?

I'm still interested in this, having suffered a similar situation myself. There's a comment on one of those FOI requests that seems very helpful (in case law) https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_tax_an_unjust_law_is_a_c_9?unfold=1

Paragraph 113 of the case between Eon Energy Ltd v The Brackley Anitique Cellar Ltd 2013:

http://www.39essex.com/docs/general/eon_...

Appropriation

113. The law is as set out in Chitty on Contracts 31st Edn at Paras 21-060 to 21-061 which states:

“where several debts are due from the debtor to the creditor, the debtor may, when making a payment, appropriate the money paid to a particular debt or debts, and if the creditor accepts the payment so appropriated, he must apply it in the manner directed by the debtor. If however the debtor makes no appropriation when making the payment, the creditor may do so.

It is essential that an appropriation by the debtor should take the form of a communication, express or implied, to the creditor of the debtor’s intention to appropriate the payment to a specified debt or debts so that the creditor may know that his rights of appropriation as creditor cannot arise. It is not essential that the debtor should expressly specify at the time of the payment which debt or account he intended the payment to be applied to. His intention may be collected from other circumstances showing that he intended at the time of the payment to appropriate it to a specific debt or account. Thus, where at the date of payment some of his debts are statute barred and others are not, it will be inferred (in the absence of evidence to the contrary) that the debtor appropriated the payment to the debts that were not so barred”.

That would seem to be clear that the debtor can elect where the payment should be allocated at a later date. How the system is organised is not the debtor's business unless they were expressly so advised in advance. That the creditor may have already allocated it in accordance with their particular habit does not mean that it cannot be altered, or that one must grovel to achieve it.

Why aren't we revolting?

Yes, that seems reasonable and appropriate. In this particular case I'm not sure without full checking whether the council specified how payments would be allocated although I do remember the (I paraphrase) comment "try to keep up with the instalments due for this [current] year". Certainly I hadn't given the matter a great deal of thought, generally seeking to agree repayment over time with the council according to my means and in that seeking also to avoid legal action or additional costs, but if pressed I suppose I'd have drawn on the general business situation as I understood it, namely that I was paying towards a totality of debt to the council and generally clearing earlier and longer-outstanding debts.

• 3 months later...

Update:

I was able to cobble together enough cash to pay the claim for the outstanding amount and the £40.00 court fee and so paid that on the Friday before the court sitting on the Monday. My name was therefore presumably removed from the list as I certainly didn't get any further advice on that, for instance about an order having been made.

I then wrote a detailed letter to the council requesting a return of the court fee and making certain arguments about my view that the summons should not have been raised anyway.

Nothing happened and so after a wait of six weeks or so

I wrote again saying that subject to their reply and to the refund of the court fee not being made I was minded to make a formal complaint to the council CE.

I also asked for specific information on the costs incurred by the council in issuing summons (to see how realistic the charge of £40.00 was given the bulk process).

Initially there was no reply and then while I was away in November there was a telephone call asking me to ring a particular person but giving no further detail.

This was then followed up by a letter some ten days later saying that they'd agreed to refund the £40.00 but giving no further information (for instance about the costs incurred).

that's at least a reasonably satisfactory outcome and there it rests.

Thanks to everyone for their help.