DWP contact after death of ex partner

roacheroo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone, looking for some slight assistance.

An ex partner of mine (we split in 2008 and I have had little or no contact with him since, bar the occasional facebook hello) passed away a month or so ago, something I was actually unaware of until the DWP sent me a letter informing me and asking for details regarding his death, care, estate etc etc as he was claiming disability living allowance.

I have replied to them with a letter stating that I wasn't aware of his passing until they sent me the request and that I haven't lived with him since 2008 and that I'm not even sure how they even know my contact details as I never agreed to be mentioned on or signed anything whilst we were together.

Has anyone else come across this before? Should my letter be enough to end this?

Thanks!

Your enquiry here could relate to an outstanding debt with DWP. Maybe this could have something to do with his claim for DLA, only speculating here could it be possible you were named as a carer to support his claim?

If you are as stated unaware of his passing until informed by the DWP then the letter to DWP should suffice. But I would be asking why they are contacting you. If as you have said you have had little or nothing to do with him for many years then until then I would wait until they contact you with further requests for information or supply it to you.

Was there any financial connection with him since your relationship ended?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Your enquiry here could relate to an outstanding debt with DWP. Maybe this could have something to do with his claim for DLA, only speculating here could it be possible you were named as a carer to support his claim?

If you are as stated unaware of his passing until informed by the DWP then the letter to DWP should suffice. But I would be asking why they are contacting you. If as you have said you have had little or nothing to do with him for many years then until then I would wait until they contact you with further requests for information or supply it to you.

Was there any financial connection with him since your relationship ended?

None that I am aware of, I wasn't even aware I was financially connected at the time of living with him, other than a shared adress for less than a year.

I've been registered on the electoral roll where I am now since 2008, and I have been in continuous work here. I also stated in the letter that I was happy to provide evidence of this should they need it.

I think I'm shocked more than anything, he has siblings which would be those in charge of his estate and finances.

It's more a case of I literally have no idea what he's been doing since I left. They even ask for the national insurance number of anyone dealing with his estate, I don't even know their names!

I think all you can do is to respond, advising that as you have not lived with or been in contact with the ex since 2008, you are at a loss to understand why they have made contact with you.

That you have no knowledge of anyone who might be dealing with his estate, by name, let alone NI numbers ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D