style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My stepson lives in a HMO with an AST, his contract is up in just over a month. The landlord tonight has told everyone they must leave in 1 month as he has sold the house.

He has told them that 2 months notice does not apply as it's written in the contract he only has to give 1 month.

LL does not live in the building.

Does the LL still have to issue a section 21 for a HMO?

The deposit is not protected, the LL said he did not need to protect it. In the contract is says it should. (I know it should be protected).

What exactly are the rights of someone renting just a room in this situation?

What is it with these LL that think they are above the law & can treat people in this way!!

It makes me sick.....

I've a similar(ish) situation involving a young man, who has found himself in an awful predicament with a LL who also does what he wants!

As I've only a few mins to spare atm, I didn't want to rant & run.

So with regards to your step son, I found the following which should be useful (as it was for me too). Click on the PDF link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-of-houses-in-multiple-occupation-in-england-a-guide-for-tenants

Good luck!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Hi all,

My stepson lives in a HMO with an AST, his contract is up in just over a month. The landlord tonight has told everyone they must leave in 1 month as he has sold the house.

He has told them that 2 months notice does not apply as it's written in the contract he only has to give 1 month.

LL does not live in the building.

Does the LL still have to issue a section 21 for a HMO?

The deposit is not protected, the LL said he did not need to protect it. In the contract is says it should. (I know it should be protected).

What exactly are the rights of someone renting just a room in this situation?

Only way LL can End a AST is with a s21, Court order and bailiffs removing the tenants.

Sounds like the LL hasn't a clue or wants to carry out a illegal evictions hope not.

Have a read of this http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_of_assured_shorthold_tenants

All the tenants need to contact CAB/Shelter/local law center asap...

Enter your full post code in one of the below links to find what's nearest to you

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ices_directory

take All the paper work with you.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Have sent S.O.S. to Lea_HTH as requested.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

45002's advice is accurate: the tenants need to take their paperwork to someone who can look over it.

Whilst the OP states the LL doesn't live in the property, it all changes if the LL states that he does and has a room there - so what is written in the contract itself might have a bearing.

If the LL definitely doesn't live in the property, the HMO probably should be registered (check with the local authority), and if it isn't, then there may be a claim arising out of that for return of the rent. If the LL doesn't live there, then a s21 will have to be served - unless the AST is some other form of contract, where the LL specified it was not to be an AST.

Too many 'IFs' for anyone to give an accurate answer without looking at the paperwork - which is why 45002's advice was spot on.

• Haha 1

45002's advice is accurate: the tenants need to take their paperwork to someone who can look over it.

Whilst the OP states the LL doesn't live in the property, it all changes if the LL states that he does and has a room there - so what is written in the contract itself might have a bearing.

If the LL definitely doesn't live in the property, the HMO probably should be registered (check with the local authority), and if it isn't, then there may be a claim arising out of that for return of the rent. If the LL doesn't live there, then a s21 will have to be served - unless the AST is some other form of contract, where the LL specified it was not to be an AST.

Too many 'IFs' for anyone to give an accurate answer without looking at the paperwork - which is why 45002's advice was spot on.

2 more scenarios to consider.

1) Has LL sold the house or has it been reposessed?

2) Not all HMP)s have to be registered. EG mine doesnt as the building "houses less than 4 seperate dwellings" As advised above you would have to check with your L.A as each has different definitions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

S21 not valid, if deposit not protected.

Tenancy still valid with new owner ( unless repossessed ).

problem for seller if he has sold it with vacant possession, as it will not be!

You need to find out what the sale situation is?