insurance claim right off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi folks thanks for any advice in advance, i am on here due to an insurance claim for my vehicle, where they are saying the value to repair is £2800 and that they are going to write off my vehicle and off me only £2200 i have looked online at cars on a like for like basis and they are nearly £1500 more than what i am being offered for mine.

the accident was not my fault, was a young driver aged 18 who has had 4 other accidents since passing his test, he was driving on the wrong side of the road, windscreen covered in frost, unable to see a thing, have taken pictures of this, we were nearly stopped as it was just outside our driveway when he drove in to the front of us

whats annoying is we are going to be out of pocket by nearly 2k because of his actions we have a private plate on the car, so will have to pay for that to be removed, we had just filled the car full of diesel, and to get something the same its going to cost us a lot more than the insurance company is offering, can anyone offer us some advice where we can go with this, if we have any rights

many many thanks

Can you sue the other driver for the extra costs ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

E-mail your complaint, keep it in writing highlight your issues, link pictures adverts of similar vehicles. Insurance is there to make sure you're not out of pocket ie dvla plate change. Do they have the car? If so tell them you want it back until dispute resolved.

am not sure if can sue the driver, if i tried that then as he is 18 prob have to wait for ever, at the moment the garage still has our car, they came back to us with the options today, telling us the price of repair and that the insurance company are going to write it off, still not sure if thats what my insurance company is offering, or if thats his insurace offering that, the garage that has the car we could take the money buy the car back for £200 and have it fixed ourselves, i would rather the car back as it is well maintained no faults on it and reg serviced, but the hassle of trying to deal with finding someone to do it

Who is actually initially paying your claim out, is it your own Insurer or the other Insurer?

It's important to know who is paying your claim out as if it's your own they need to abide by the Ombudsman's guidance on settling write off claims, if it's the other Insurer then they do not need to abide by it.

It will affect what advice you're givem

I had a similar problem. I claimed on my own policy (protected no claims) but if I had taken their offer I would have been out of pocket even though I wasn't at fault . In the end I contacted the third party's insurance . It saves them money if you deal direct and they will pay you out within a couple of weeks . Got a better settlement and keep the car! I would ring them . Just a phone call .

You can sue the other driver and his insurer as joint parties. They will take over the claim fairly quickly unless he informs them that he isnt going to settle the full amount himself. Do you have legal cover on your motor or household insurance? If so, use it.