WONGA ordered to pay £2.6m Compensation for misleading Debt Collection Practices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I 'think' you have misread what I wrote; unless you see the last registered payment towards an alleged debt as the agreement start date. :???: In any event, I can assure you that Equidebt did proceed on what Intrum Justitia gave them. Real solicitor or not, they certainly would have got nowhere. Not entirely irrelevant to the topic, as it further illustrates how creditors keeping poor records can have it come back to haunt them in the future.

Anyhow, like you said, let us proceed with mercilessly investigating Wonga. If you wish to discuss this further, then please just pm me and I will be very happy to start a new thread. :?:

Equidebt were pretty easy to see off if you kept your own records - their attention to detail was sadly lacking.

I have never been able to understand people not keep important documents such as credit agreements and statements.

Keeping records od ones accounts of all types is essential.

I agree, since at least 2006, it has been highlighted everywhere that keeping "everything" including the envelopes, is very important. It has been pointed out so many times on CAG that the devil is in the detail.

With DCAs being provided with limited data on their purchases and Original creditors destroying anything over 6 years of age, or just their shoddy record keeping, it is very important that the "debtor" have their own records to counter some of the claims being made.

I am sure everyone has read of the Harrison v Link/MBNA case, Mr Harrison was very meticulous - he kept every letter/email - recorded every telephone conversation in court it became very clear that MBNA's record keeping was very poor. It was most certainly instrumental in producing the Judgment in Mr Harrison's favour.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

records. I too kept everything received when I was deep in debt, with a detailed spreadsheet as well for ease of reference and / or combat. There can be many reasons that some may fail to keep their ammunition, eg sheer incompetence or a false sense of security. But still it is hard to understand in many cases. What I find almost as hard is the widespread practice of telling the enemy what is wrong with what they are claiming rather than simply refuting and making them find out for themselves . . . from records they often don't possess.

All I can say further regarding Equid is that I know of solicitor's letters ["will" type, not "may"] which, if ignored, were not followed up, but the recipients did have records to hand in case the solicitors were to go to court. I still don't understand how, renegot, you believe only your record keeping prevented further action.

Anyway, as Equidebt went down the tubes, they can't be called to account, so their past antics don't much matter. The last letter I saw from them was offering 80% discount, and the one before it to consider "any realistic amount, no matter how small". Pathetic. Sometimes it doesn't take a genius to determine when the party is over.

I'd second what CitizenB says there, what the record keeping does is kills-off the assumptions made by Judges that we are all filthy debtors and that the finance companies are the nice professional organisations who have teams of lawyers constructing agreements and highly technical administration systems collating all our documents which proves we are filthy debtors trying to get off on technicalities from paying what we should.

What appears to have happened in the above case demonstrated that evidence provided was not as it was being portrayed by this 'professional' organisation.

I went to court and made a counterclaim against a company's actions, the judge said to me " You realise what you are claiming here Mr Andrew1? - it was a fairly large counterclaim and I did feel somewhat embarrassed to submit it, but.....I replied " yes your Honour I do and appreciate the moral appearance of this" and she interjected before I finished and said "We are not here to judge the morals Mr A1, Just the facts"......

Come up with the facts.....they're stuffed.and that's all I do now, I just use the facts and you can only use those facts if you do as Harrison did..keep every word and envelope, record every phone call and keep a diary of events. It will, just like this Wonga situation, come back to haunt them.

I still want to know though, what happens to the litigation which has been taken by these so called 'solicitors' like DG? In-house pieces of paper submitted as solicitor firms, what happens to those cases which have been submitted to a court and won by the creditor.......are they legal or not?..... and if not, what are the remedies?

A1

• 2 weeks later...
I still want to know though, what happens to the litigation which has been taken by these so called 'solicitors' like DG? In-house pieces of paper submitted as solicitor firms, what happens to those cases which have been submitted to a court and won by the creditor.......are they legal or not?..... and if not, what are the remedies?

I suspect that they could all be challenged, but it would not be automatic in any way at all. Everyone would have to pursue their own case individually.

All I can say further regarding Equid is that I know of solicitor's letters ["will" type, not "may"] which, if ignored, were not followed up, but the recipients did have records to hand in case the solicitors were to go to court. I still don't understand how, renegot, you believe only your record keeping prevented further action.

Well, I said to pm me if you wanted to discuss this further, but you never did. You then continue the conversation on this thread, when it was you who was complaining about it taking the thread off topic. I am a bit confused by that and by your lack of understanding, not to matter though and no hard feelings, as I have started a new thread for your perusal here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?432153-Baron-Renog-s-Dad-Versus-Equidebt.&p=4605851#post4605851

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

And the saga continues to take some more twists and turns, email from Wonga:

Dear xxx

System errors

We sent you an email on 26th June 2014 informing you about an internal investigation in which we identified certain system errors, which resulted in the miscalculation of some customers' balances. Some customers overpaid Wonga whilst a greater number underpaid.

All known balance calculation issues have been addressed. As a result, where customers have overpaid Wonga this will be repaid with interest and those who underpaid Wonga will not be asked to pay the shortfall.

We unreservedly apologise again for this issue and we are committed to putting things right and compensating those who experienced financial loss as a result.

Latest developments

Following our ongoing investigation, we can confirm that the vast majority of customers who overpaid Wonga overpaid by less than £5 and a significant proportion of customers overpaid by less than £1. For most customers this will mean an adjustment of their outstanding balance.

Please be assured that we are working hard to identify all customers who have been affected by this issue and to resolve it as quickly as we can.

Further information

We know your debt has been transferred to another company. However, Wonga will be handling all elements of the redress process so please direct any queries you have relating to this process to us. If you have other queries in relation to any outstanding debts, please direct these to the company who took over ownership of your debt. The system errors do not affect any payment arrangements you may have in place with these third parties.

We aim to be in contact again with an update within the next 12 weeks. If you have any queries in the meantime please contact our customer service team on our freephone number, 0800 840 0836 or national call rate number, 0333 005 0836.

Yours sincerely

Tim Weller

Interim CEO, Wonga Group

Now they apparently need another 12 weeks:mad2:

No. Because you dont have a licence.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yes i also received this email!

Can we not charge Wonga the interest they charges us @ 5000%APR?

Might actually be worth at try, write to the head shark and suggest it.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

So i could theoretically claim it @ 4851% APR? ... Legitimately?

I can see no bar to placing the interest claim at the contractual rate of the account.

I can however foresee the brown stuff hitting the device for moving air!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?433969-***********Wonga-Writes-Off-330-000-Customers-Debts*****************

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/wonga-to-write-off-debt-of-330000-customers-9769003.html

The Financial Conduct Authority has taken the unprecedented step of making the short-term lender cancel the outstanding debt of 330,000 borrowers and scrap the fees and charges of 45,000 more.

Hopefully the FCA will extend this to the rest of the irresponsible lenders.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Compared to certain other PDLs wonga was very responsible (in the same way Saville was better at looking after children than Issa Sesay), which raises the question when will the loans from companies that have never done one single affordability check be written off?

They want to start looking at CFO Lending - they are trashing people's credit files with default amounts inflated by over £1,000 !!!

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

How about this link about the poor lot at Wonga loosing 53% profits - wonder how their favourite political party will now view the lack of contribution from them! Would love to see Wonga's own I&E - apparently from the article they are not doing any adverts at the moment...

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/article/17423/online-news/wonga-profits-fall-53