******EBAY Cyber-Attacked - Change your password*******

rebel11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ebay has asked users to change their passwords following a cyberattack that compromised one of its databases.

The auction site said that the database contained encrypted passwords and other non-financial information.

The US firm added that it had no evidence of there being unauthorised activity on its members' accounts.

However, it said that changing the passwords was "best practice and will help enhance security for eBay users".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27503290

So when are ebay actually going to inform there customers as I for one aint happy to find this out via the news reports and press that this happened a few months ago and ebay knew.

Nice customer service for there users to find out in the press first.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I've changed my password but what worries me is that the database hacked also included names, addresses, email and home address and date of birth. Its all very well ebay saying there is no evidence of any unauthorised activity on users accounts but this information could be used anywhere for identity fraud.

I've changed my password but what worries me is that the database hacked also included names, addresses, email and home address and date of birth. Its all very well ebay saying there is no evidence of any unauthorised activity on users accounts but this information could be used anywhere for identity fraud.

Passed experience says that if the hackers are going to do anything, they will wait for us all to forget and then try their luck.

There is no evidence that they have taken anything, just that they have managed to hack into the database. I can't understand why all data isn't encrypted, it costs next to nought and that's a one off payment.

heres an intresting thought from a computery person

if the name and email addresses were not encrypted but the passwords were then if the hackers were smart enough they will have had several accounts on ebay themselves

they would then sort through the files till they found their own email address, as they know what the unencrypted password was they can then use this to reverse engineer the encrypted one till they found what code gave the correct output

they then apply that code to the rest of the list and see the output

they then have a username, email address and password

people will most likely change their ebay password but still use the old password on other sites with the same username or email address

i would expect hacked ebay accounts to actually decrease a little as people are more security concious for a while but then other site hacks to rise

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: