Job Centre and Emails

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes I can now remember the gay guy gate on these forums from before and didnt you post the same thing on another forum?

Yeh it turned into a big argument and the thread was closed :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm,why don't you give up flogging this gay guy thing?,its 2014 nobody cares a damn if you are a homosexual or not,you are obviously some kind of attention grabbing type,come down off the cross,do yourself a favour,nobody really cares.

Indeed.

You're probably better off just using something like your name or initials.

[...] do you think my Job Centre advisor will have a problem with this email? if so how?

You have had one run in with a JCP adviser over your choice of clothing, why create another molehill to fight over ?

(most) people don't give a rat's backside about your orientation - What will annoy them is having it rammed down their throat along with cries of "discrimination". Take a small piece of advice: Keep your email address neutral, dress appropriately for any interview, and don't try waving the discrimination card around.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Is there some sense in which a straight man applying for jobs using the email address [email protected] wouldn't be "advertising" his heterosexuality?

Depends on who you talk to

For some no matter what you do you wouldn't be "advertising", you could be with 2 women kissing etc but that's not advertising unlike holding hands with a partner/husband

You have had one run in with a JCP adviser over your choice of clothing, why create another molehill to fight over ?

(most) people don't give a rat's backside about your orientation - What will annoy them is having it rammed down their throat along with cries of "discrimination". Take a small piece of advice: Keep your email address neutral, dress appropriately for any interview, and don't try waving the discrimination card around.

More people care then you think tbh

It's hardly ramming when it's an e-mail address though

Depends on who you talk to

For some no matter what you do you wouldn't be "advertising", you could be with 2 women kissing etc but that's not advertising unlike holding hands with a partner/husband

Sure, there is discrimination of course. But context is important. We were not asked whether it was right or wrong for Gay_Guy1986 to use a particular email address, but more whether it is wise from the point of view of a person seeking work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

More people care then you think tbh

It's hardly ramming when it's an e-mail address though

No, it's hardly the worst thing that could happen. But employers can and do make judgments about potential employees, and what's objectionable about this email address isn't that it indicates the user is gay, it's that it indicates the user has absolutely no sense of what is or isn't professional.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Sure, there is discrimination of course. But context is important. We were not asked whether it was right or wrong for Gay_Guy1986 to use a particular email address, but more whether it is wise from the point of view of a person seeking work.

I just don't like the term "advertise" in certain context as it's applied unfairly and I still don't see a problem with it as an email address

It's not rude or anything and so I personally don't see an issue

First impressions count.

If a prospective employer were to get an application from [email protected], they might think "Hey, is this guy going to start harassing our female staff ?... Better not risk it, bin the application.".... On to the next applicant... "OK, this [email protected] looks like he has some skills we could use, invite him in for an interview...."

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

First impressions count.

If a prospective employer were to get an application from [email protected], they might think "Hey, is this guy going to start harassing our female staff ?... Better not risk it, bin the application.".... On to the next applicant... "OK, this [email protected] looks like he has some skills we could use, invite him in for an interview...."

http://youtu.be/MW3P54c847I

Or could think the person likes music

Surely it's best to keep any personal preferences out of a professional email address. I don't think it's appropriate to have an address [email protected], or [email protected] or, [email protected] or an address stating sexual preference, whatever that is. Whatever is on your CV or application form says a lot to your employer, even the email address you choose for professional contact. If the email address states a personal interest/preference, as an employer, a thought might cross an employer's mind about what boundaries the person puts between their personal and professional lives, what image are they going to present in person to a client, what chit chat will they make, how will they get on with the rest of the staff, will they be talking to clients about star trek, or talking to easily shocked Brenda in the coffee room about their latest nudist holiday.

These are things that an employer will be thinking. Also some employers, who are less than 'modern' (bigoted, prejudiced) might feel uncomfortable about employing someone who is a nudist, or a star trek fan or a polygamist, and even though it is reprehensible to have these sort of prejudices, this is the real world. (And also advertising that you base jump off cliffs is just screaming out 'I will have long term sick leave from an injury').

Yes, once employed, an employer has no legal right to discriminate against someone on certain grounds - but certainly nothing stops them making an early cull of the applications/CV's of anyone who presses their particular prejudices. I've heard of unemployed people with 'ethnic' sounding names, getting their name changed because there are plenty of racists out there who will just see the name and discard the application.

I wouldn't have my email address as [email protected] - some would discriminate on the disability, others on the political ideology - is this right? No it certainly isn't, but in the real world people discriminate. We don't live in a utopia where people don't even mention their sexual preference because it really doesn't matter except to those who might be interested in dating you. We're not there yet.

So, you want to advertise your sexuality in the email address you're going to use for job applications. That's your choice entirely, and I respect your right to make your choice. If your application crossed my desk, my thought would be, why does this person want to ensure that everyone that see's their email address, T shirt etc knows they're gay. It wouldn't stop me short listing you as an applicant if you had the right experience and qualifications, but if you had the same skills as someone else who had chosen a more professional email address and that was all that separated you, then I would pick the more professional person, exactly the same as if you had a email address with star trek etc etc.

What you need to ask yourself is what are you trying to achieve. Is your aim to declare your pride in your sexual orientation and challenge anyone who reads your email address or sees your T Shirt to accept you or declare their prejudice? If so that's what you're achieving. If your aim is to give yourself the best chance of being shortlisted for a job, then you need a more professional email address.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I just don't like the term "advertise" in certain context as it's applied unfairly and I still don't see a problem with it as an email address

It's not rude or anything and so I personally don't see an issue

It's certainly not rude, that's true. And I do know what you object to - gay guys who kiss in public, for example, are often accused (unjustly) of "advertising" their sexual orientation when no-one would bat an eyelid if it were a straight couple doing the exact same thing. But this is a different issue. It's an issue of workplace professionalism.

It's certainly not rude, that's true. And I do know what you object to - gay guys who kiss in public, for example, are often accused (unjustly) of "advertising" their sexual orientation when no-one would bat an eyelid if it were a straight couple doing the exact same thing. But this is a different issue. It's an issue of workplace professionalism.

I can see your point but I don't like it when "advertise" is used, if it was explained like you have then that's fair enough, certain terms just are like chalk on a blackboard to me as they are not of positive connotations

I have had to laugh at this thread I was offered a job yesterday (yeeeesssss) when I applied for it I sent my CV and letter from the wrong email account which is madamvice gmail

I didn't think I would even hear from them as its an employer affiliated to the Church so was surprised when I got an interview.

Turns out the person interviewing me had not seen my email but had been sent my CV and letter from the HR dept.

I made sure I gave them my normal professional (and boring) email address as a point of contact.

That's probably the easiest way to get yourself sent on a few useless courses.

However, I don't know if you can be mandated to give your email address to the Jobcentre. Personally, if it's possible I'd use whatever email address I chose and simply not tell them what it is.

FOI response dated 23/7/2013..(which hopefully still applies)

Providing an email address or telephone number is not mandatory, therefore failure to do so is

not sanctionable.

However, a Jobseeker's Allowance claimant may be issued with a Jobseeker's Direction,

requiring them to take a reasonable, specific activity that will help them find work, e.g. getting a

telephone number or email address. The decision to issue a Jobseeker's Direction must

always take into account the claimant’s individual circumstances.

So even though you don't have to give the JC your email, they can still ask to see proof of one to make sure you're doing everything you can to get work. So they get it one way or another - unless you show them emails you've received and blank out your address.

There's been some good comments on this thread, I agree with just picking a neutral and professional-sounding email name solely for job applications, irrespective of sexuality, race, religion, etc. Don't give an employer any chance to reject your application, whether rightly or wrongly

As a Gay person with experience with HR

If I saw Gay-Guy or Straight-Guy I would react the same way.

Although whilst jobseeking I have used a Neutral Comedy Email to help me stand out from the crowd. Try picturing a Sabre.tooth.Sheep

So far it has been successful :)

I have to admit, in my opinion based on your threads gay_guy, you seem to be waging a war against the job center. Point scoring with them is not going to help you. You will get more wound up and stressed. The best way to BEAT the system is to leave it EMPLOYED and do not give them the credit for helping you into work.

Do everything in your power to make yourself "employable and desirable" You are looking for work for YOUR benefit not theirs. Remember that. As useless as JC can be your aim should be to improve yourself for yourself. Fighting the world for every single point can become exhaustive. Trust me, I know. Sometmies its better to duck and dive rather than charge headlong into every battle you can find. Pick and choose your battles and if you can avoid Unnecessary stress for outcomes that do not further yourself, then sometimes its best to do so.

• Haha 1

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Am I being a total moron or is FIRST NAME (dot) SURNAME (@) Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail/Outlook too obvious to use? Why try and be 'hip and cool' with an unprofessional address for job searching?

Hello, just wondering if anyone can answer this for me?

I have decided to create a new email address after having my current 1 for almost 3 years and decided to have a change.

However, my new email address is: gay_guy1986 (yahoo), do you think my Job Centre advisor will have a problem with this email? if so how? I thought in the work place, its equal opportunities? what if he states, I need to change it because an employer might be homophobic and might not want to employ me, could this be the reason why he might have a problem with it? if an employer don't want to employ me based on my sexuality then surely he is in the wrong?

Just looking for help on this matter, thanks :)

As you have stated, on another forum, that you have had nothing but trouble with your various coloured T-shirts, all proclaiming you are gay, and the fact that the JC think you should dress properly for interviews, with trousers and shirt, and as you have already been sanctioned for thinking that being gay means you can do as you like, might it not be an idea to just ignore your sexuality for a while (as the rest of us do) and just co-operate with the JC towards actually getting a job?

They have told you that they really don't mind what your sexuality is, but they would just like you to look at getting a job, and forget the fact you are gay, for a while.......

You are not the only gay in the village, and nobody cares, or is homophobic. Most job interviews involve conversations around skills and experience. I have never, not once, in many years, been asked what side I bat for, so forget the bedroom, and do the CV. lol

Lin ;)

Bloody hell I never knew there were so many of us on here. Bloody poofs get everywhere :whoo:

Seriously though

If you are job seeking then frankly you need a professional email address. People will make assumptions about you if you use the gay guy email address , not least that you want to try and get a reaction from them. Why not go the whole hog and use bottomboi@ or wellhung@

I would also say that anyone who thinks that homophobia is dead really needs to get in the real world. Yes it is loads better than when i was young and yes it is a lot easier but it is very far from dead . I will say that I have experienced little direct homophobia but lots of indirect some of it by people who would be upset if I said it was. I will not get on my soapbox .

I am not sure who said that Str8 people can wear rings etc, plenty of gay couples I know wear rings , it means nothing

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I have to admit, in my opinion based on your threads gay_guy, you seem to be waging a war against the job center. Point scoring with them is not going to help you. You will get more wound up and stressed. The best way to BEAT the system is to leave it EMPLOYED and do not give them the credit for helping you into work.

I am afraid that from reading many of the posts that gay guy has made he is waging war on everyone. It is never his fault, always someone elses. At the risk of sounding like my father ,when he grows up he will realise that you do have to pick your battles .

The way i work is that i do not wear a rainbow badge but if a question comes up I answer it honestly and if I am talking about what i did at the weekend etc , again I answer it honestly , well politely and honestly ..not that I was on gaydar all weekend .

Am I being a total moron or is FIRST NAME (dot) SURNAME (@) Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail/Outlook too obvious to use? Why try and be 'hip and cool' with an unprofessional address for job searching?

Mine is not offensive, it shows humour and character.

There are plenty of "professionals" out there. My correspondence is always professional. The email address just adds a bit of character early on.

It works too. Lots of interviews :) It also lays the ground for my "Bubbly Character" that I can display at interview. I am waiting on some paperwork to come back from a government body then I start my new job soon :)

Remember part of the process is also about "How you fit into their team"

However it is a risk. Not everyone appreciates the same humor. I did get good feedback form my email address too.

Has this now gone off topic? Its now become a general discussion about email addresses and job searching haha

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Was it intended to be a discussion on email addresses or on homophobia or a rant at the job centre.

People do make assumptions on all sorts of things, in one interview I was called a quitter because one of my jobs only lasted 2 years ( I have had 3 jobs in nearly 30 years. Sabre refers to his "bubbly character" now some people would assume that he is overweight just as I have assumed that he is indeed a he.

Just like everyone I have certain prejudices many of them unfair . I had better not say because i am bound to upset someone , even some usernames on here make me angry but others I like . God alone knows what the actual people are like in real life

Making your CV stand out is the thing to do and it needs to stand out in a positive way . Many employers dismiss the standard template C.V's that are done by the job centres or work providers .

I am afraid that from reading many of the posts that gay guy has made he is waging war on everyone. It is never his fault, always someone elses. At the risk of sounding like my father ,when he grows up he will realise that you do have to pick your battles .

The way i work is that i do not wear a rainbow badge but if a question comes up I answer it honestly and if I am talking about what i did at the weekend etc , again I answer it honestly , well politely and honestly ..not that I was on gaydar all weekend .

And, we should note, that hopefully no employer would be stupid enough to even ask a candidate (at interview, not including those equal opportunity forms) whether they are gay or straight. That would be a discrimination action waiting to happen if the candidate doesn't get the job.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks