Will Utility and CT arrears stop house exchange?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As not sure where to post this I am sorry if in wrong place.

This is Sandy, ( B/C'S o/h )

AS some of you know we are trying for a house exchange but would like some advice re arrears.

We know if you have rent arrears they need to be paid before an exchange,

but we have water rates arrears as well as Gas and Electric arrears,

we pay the last 2 every 2 weeks and the water every month, currently £11 a month,

our question is

do these need to to be paid before we move,

all the arrears amount to quite a bit,

the water rates has on it, over £700, bear in mind atm Bob is on JSA due to losing his job,

we also have council tax arrears which we are paying back as £10 a month,

we are really worried as I want to move to be near my daughter who had her first baby in Feb

and do not want to miss out on her growing up.

If anyone can help, be much appreciated it TIA

Sandy xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

thanks DD, Will hit triangle, need this resolved, not sure how to change the title lol, have hit triangle xx

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

thanks hun x

thanks Rebel sorry for posting in wrong place

Are utility accounts (water, gas elec) in Ts or LL name?

If you have an agreed payment plan for CT arrears, keep paying it after you move, until cleared.

Are you seeking a house exchange in same HA or elsewhere?

Normally exchanges can be refused for rent arrears, only Councils can advise on Policy for other arrears.

water, gas and electric our in our names,We hope to move to Derbyshire, we know about rent arrears

Council tenant exchange? Yes you can move and your landlord likely won't even find out. You are correct, it is only the actual rent that would stop an exchange going ahead. (Council tenants - secure tenants I talk about here).

If for any reason it does come up, then just say (and be ready to prove) that you have arrangemenets in place, you stick to them and you are taking the debts with you. It says in your agreement I expect a ditty about being responsible for outgoings. Well, yes this is so, and you are being responsible for them, so not a ground to stop an exchange.

Let the people you owe know where you are off to, keep to the arrangements, and off you start again. (Do it all in writing just in case).

Good luck hope you enjoy that new baby!

thank you, we are HA tenants ,hoping to go to Derbyshire but have got someone in Loughbrough who loves our house

tyvm Jackieandwayne

I agree it is generally rent arrear only that affect a house exchange with HA but as has been said always be ready to prove you have payment arrangements in place for the other arrears just in case it comes up.

Good Luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

thanks all but been let down once again, really had enough!

this is not the first time it has happened and as time goes by I am missing out more and more on my granddaughter growing up , it is not as she is just up the road from me but is 3 hours away and as money is tight right now I can only go when finances permit