Being forced into having a water meter.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Southern Water are currently in the process of putting all households on to metered water. Apparently I don't have a choice. Based on their calculations this will cost me £100 a year MORE. There are 2 adults plus a toddler, we live in a little 2 bed flat, no garden, no hosepipe, no dishwasher etc. Can they really force me on to a meter? They mention a "No Access Charge" which is what I'd be charged if I don't "assist" them but I expect that'll be extortionate.

I'm already struggling with the £35 a month :/

Hi clemma

It isn't great when you happy as things are and changes are forced against your will. Not a great situation.

Here's some information:-

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/mediacentre/leaflets/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf

Also have a read of the following section, does it apply to you:

Help with metered water bills: Watersure Tariff

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/about-us/about-southern-water/our-customer-promise/code-of-practice-for-domestic-customers/Default.asp

From Page 19 of the pdf above..

Do I have to have a meter?

Your company can choose to install a meter at your property. However, it can only

charge you using the meter if you:

• use an automatic watering device (such as a garden sprinkler);

• automatically fill a swimming pool;

• have a power shower or extra large bath;

• use a reverse osmosis water softening unit;

• are the new occupier of a property (provided it has not already sent you an

unmetered bill); or

• live in a water stressed area where the Government has allowed compulsory

metering as part of a plan to maintain secure water supplies.

Do you own the flat or rent it ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi clemma

Does the following apply to you?

In accordance with the current legislation, we offer assistance to vulnerable groups to help them avoid hardship with their metered water bills. The regulations ensure that customers who meet specific qualifying criteria receive a bill capped at the average for the Company rather than the actual metered bill they would face.

To be eligible for protection, a person residing at the premises served has to be in receipt of one of the following benefits or tax credits:

• Income Support

• Pension Credit

• Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance

• Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

• Council Tax Benefit

• Housing Benefit

• Child Tax credit - must be above the basic family element

• Working Families Tax Credit.

Secondly, either you, your child or another member of your household must suffer from a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water. Or you must have responsibility for three or more children under 19, in full time education and for whom you receive child benefit.

To receive assistance, it is necessary for customers to complete an application form. If you meet the qualifying criteria and would like to apply for assistance, please ring our Debt Advice Centre to request an application form: 0800 027 0363.

I'm surprised it would cost you so much clemma. For a 3 bedroom house with 3 adults, washing machine, dishwasher, garden that got plenty of watering last year, occasional car washing etc, I pay £24 a month. Had the meter a few years now but think I paid about £37 with water rates then.

Admittedly we tend to shower rather than bath, turn off tap while cleaning teeth, don't overfill kettle but otherwise don't really cut down on water usage.

You can put a brick on your loo to cut down on water for flushing too.

Edited by caro
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro, does that include your sewage costs as well ?

I pay £58.00 per month, not on a meter.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes it does. :)

We first had it when we had to move out of our house due to a flood and the house we moved to had a meter. There were 4 of us then and I'd already looked into meter costs and thought it would work out more. Was very pleasantly surprised so changed to a meter in our own house. Tbh we don't even think about the water we use.

Edited by caro

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi clemma

Does the following apply to you?

In accordance with the current legislation, we offer assistance to vulnerable groups to help them avoid hardship with their metered water bills. The regulations ensure that customers who meet specific qualifying criteria receive a bill capped at the average for the Company rather than the actual metered bill they would face.

To be eligible for protection, a person residing at the premises served has to be in receipt of one of the following benefits or tax credits:

• Income Support

• Pension Credit

• Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance

• Income Related Employment and Support Allowance

• Council Tax Benefit

• Housing Benefit

• Child Tax credit - must be above the basic family element

• Working Families Tax Credit.

Secondly, either you, your child or another member of your household must suffer from a medical condition which requires significant additional use of water. Or you must have responsibility for three or more children under 19, in full time education and for whom you receive child benefit.

To receive assistance, it is necessary for customers to complete an application form. If you meet the qualifying criteria and would like to apply for assistance, please ring our Debt Advice Centre to request an application form: 0800 027 0363.

Nope. But thank you.

I'm surprised it would cost you so much clemma. For a 3 bedroom house with 3 adults, washing machine, dishwasher, garden that got plenty of watering last year, occasional car washing etc, I pay £24 a month. Had the meter a few years now but think I paid about £37 with water rates then.

Admittedly we tend to shower rather than bath, turn off tap while cleaning teeth, don't overfill kettle but otherwise don't really cut down on water usage.

You can put a brick on your loo to cut down on water for flushing too.

It's currently £412 a year. Their estimation of my usage with 2 adults and a toddler is £526 a year. Only time well tell as I really don't have a choice.

It's currently £412 a year. Their estimation of my usage with 2 adults and a toddler is £526 a year. Only time well tell as I really don't have a choice.

According to the estimates as a family of 4 we were better off without a meter. In fact we were much better off, but as you say, time will tell.

You can apply to go onto the Changeover Tariff which lasts for 3 years and is calculated for year one 2/3 of your unmeasured charges and 1/3 of what would have been your metered charges, then I think 50:50 for year two and 2/3 metered 1/3 unmeasured in year 3.

The measured charges will be based on readings taken for the first 6 months consumption after the meter is installed so you will know then whether you will be better or worse off when receiving that first bill and a quick call to them will sort this out.

If you think you will be better off you can go metered from the moment your meter is installed.