• Tweets

• Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unknown CCJ -DHL £177 'customs fees' **SET ASIDE**

jaisunny
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3595 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

One last thing, do i still apply for the set aside with the £80 fee? or the method im about to attempt would it on incur a £45 fee? because in the letter i have produced i have noted that if they would consider to accept the order to be set aside and that i would be paying all fees for this. Just need to make sure i word this correctly without looking like i am 10 year old.

• 1 month later...

Just to update i've received diddly squat back from DHL now and its been 6 weeks. I think its fair to say i will not get a response from them.

Ironically you'll never guess what happened 2 weeks ago, We had a delivery from DHL and my unsuspecting partner gave cash to the driver. He did not sign the document that was supposed to be signed and my partner being dozy at the best of times did not notice.

Looks like another CCJ on the cards again in the next 1 or 2 years time from now.

ARGH!

Thread moved to the correct forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If you are "suggesting" that the DHL drivers are "misappropriating " cash payments you should take this up via formal compliant to DHL. You will need to gather evidence of course before making any such allegation.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Right, so i have contacted DHL twice now on the address which was stamped on the original court papers/claim forms. Absolutely no response what so ever.

I would like some help if possible, could anyone recommend an alternative DHL representative to contact regarding this? and finally could anyone knowledgeable on this matter take a quick look at the letter i sent DHL to tell me if its adequate or not?

Many thanks

As DHL aren't communicating with you, then it's highly unlikely they will agree to having the CCJ removed. If that's the case then I would proceed ahead with the **Setting aside procedure.

**Added to say; Don't leave it too much longer to action this!

I've done this twice now & was successful on both occasions.

You do have to pay the £80 fee (I believe if your on benefits/low income it could be cheaper) at the time you submit your setting aside application. (SA)

What will happen next is; You will be given a date to appear before the Judge, it's really informal (no where as bad as I'd originally feared) & you give your reasons & proof for why your requesting a SA.

The opposing claimant (in your case DHL) if they show up will also have a chance to speak. (On both my SA the opposing claimant argued against my getting it!) Then the Judge can ask you to leave for a short time, whilst they peruse all the information etc.

Approx within 30 mins you get called back in & the Judge gives his determination. With having won both of our SA, what happens then is the CCJ is removed & you revert back to how you stood before you got the CCJ.

"But this also means the opposing claimant can re-issue Court proceedings against you for whatever debt is owed" Make sure you defend it thoroughly as you could end up with another CCJ if you do not defend it/act in a timely manner.

I would advise anyone who succeeds in getting a SA, that once you get the Courts Certificate of Satisfaction/Cancellation, that you ring the Ministry Of Justice (allow 28 days min) & confirm with them the CCJ has been removed. And to also send copies of the Certificate to Equifax, Experian & Call Credit as they update once a month "supposedly"!

As one of our CCJs was still showing on Call Credit over 6 months after winning the SA. It was a pain  having to chase this up & get it removed.

Good luck & I hope this helps.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I'm sorry jaisunny we do have to keep everything discussed on here, in the forum. The PM is mostly for sensitive information &/or disclosures that can't be mentioned in public as required by Site Admin.

So to keep to the Site rules, I'm pasting a copy of your PM here on your thread for continuity.

My response is below;

Hello there,

Thank you for your reply to me thread, the CCJ is really effecting me and i really want to go ahead with the SA. I wondered what your reasons were to SA? its been nearly 1 year now since i got the CCJ and i will be honest, i plan to if successful to get SA to pay it right away so no more CCJ. Below is the letter i have sent to DHL and wondered if the grounds i noted would be good enough for a success in SA.

#################

Dear whom it may concern,

It has been brought to my attention recently that I have a court order raised against myself for unpaid customs and duty charges which mount to £107.25 and £11.03 (please find attached). Please accept my sincere apologies for any non-payment, at the time of the unpaid duties back in 2011 I had actually contacted HMRC and submitted form C285 for customs relief on the grounds that the duties should not have been applicable due to the goods being non value samples, unable to resale on. The value of the samples were incorrectly recorded by our suppliers. Unfortunately I did not hear back from HMRC and with it then at the back of my mind I did not remember to follow it up. That part admittedly my fault.

Unfortunately I have noticed that in July 2013 a court order was issued, I was unable to attend court nor had the court forms come to my attention within the time frame allocated to reply. I was too late and staying away due to ill health, which is still present till this day.

My reasoning in sending this letter today is to ask you if you would kindly accept that we both could get this matter at court set aside, I will pay all the associated fees with the set-aside and immediately pay the monies owed to DHL INTERNATIONAL via your preferred method of payment and to whom. All I would require from yourselves is consent / acceptance of this so I can proceed with the set aside.

Please check my accounts history via my old address and new address (above) you will see that I have always paid upfront or to the DHL delivery driver on time, in advance and promptly up to this day apart from those 2 outstanding. I have had many deliveries from DHL which is the carrier I choose my suppliers to ship goods to myself. I hope that as its such a small amount that we can resolve this matter fairly quickly, Appreciate your time.

######################### #######

Of course the court will want good reasons for the SA, i want to be ready and clear my name.

One last question, when you paid the £80 fee did you pay when you submitted the SA form? or later in court? is it refundable if they do not accept the SA?

Many thanks

-------------------------------------------

Hi jaisunny,

My reasons for my 1st SA were due to the fact the Court papers were sent to a previous address we hadn't lived at for a year or more. The SA was granted & the Court proceedings were not reissued.

As for the 2nd SA, reason was due to being illegally evicted (Our LL changed the locks in the last 2 weeks of our Tenancy & with held our property) & tried suing us for ridiculous reasons!

Also the LL sent the Court documents to this address! How we were supposed to know about them after he changed the locks I don't know!! This SA was also granted & we countersued the LL & we won against him.

As for your other questions; You pay the £80 fee when you submit your N244 (setting aside application) to the Court.

Lastly as for your grounds for an SA. I can't give you a reason as I do not know all the ins & outs with your DHL dispute.

The Court will want clear cut reasons & proof of them reasons as well as a defence!

I.E in my 1st SA I proved to the Judge that I hadn't lived at the named address for at least a year before Court proceedings were brought against me, So i wouldn't of been able to defend it.

This site below has an up to date fact sheet regarding "How to set aside a judgement"

http://www.nationaldebtline.org

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

• dx100uk changed the title to Unknown CCJ -DHL £177 'customs fees' **SET ASIDE**