Forced to use Universal Jobmatch

Abbtt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3736 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Amen to that.

Call me old-fashioned, but when I apply for a vacancy I want to know the name of the company and their address, the full job details and the salary. A lot of UJ jobs don't give you any of this. I'm afraid 'Administrator wanted, North East' just isn't good enough. I always assume it's dodgy.

You'd think the genuine companies advertising would complain, because the bogus ones are deterring genuine applicants.

Also..Happy Birthday to the CAG site; just read it was created 10th Jan 8 years ago. Hope we can all keep the site going as it's a good 'un.

It's taken me a long time to figure it out...bogus ads don't want to be called up/out on their so-called 'offer', so they won't put up a phone number. This isn't just on UJM, this is prevalent on the website my own profession predominantly uses. Been going on for well over a decade, and I still only just worked it out....looks like I'm still young, dumb and full...erm...nice weather today!!

On the other hand, beware recruiters who call with a number displayed; the great majority of actual recruiters will come up on your caller display as 'Blocked', because often we leave our mobile's on our desks when we pop out quickly, which can then be picked up by well-meaning colleagues, they know this and don't want to tip off a candidates current employer or colleagues that he's looking for a job.

Edited by Jaybee in CF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's taken me a long time to figure it out...bogus ads don't want to be called up/out on their so-called 'offer', so they won't put up a phone number.

Other giveaways for dodgy jobs. Mobile or premium rate phone numbers, gmail/yahoo/hotmail contact - A reputable business will use a real number and have their own email server.

Keywords: Revolutionary product, unmissable opportunity, wellness adviser, guaranteed selection, etc.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

A lot of the jobs on there dont exist. They are put on by bogus employers and agencies (I could name them as well) in an attempt to glean personal information from cv's to sell onto sales companies etc.Or to get adverts on their own websites under the pretence that they are an actual agency. So be careful about that. Bogus agencies generally advertise too good to be true jobs with adverts such as 'we are recruiting for a major high street retailer ' and the wages are fantastically high for that sort of job. I.e £9-50 per hour for retail etc. Also you dont usually need experience for the job (so as to gain maximum CV submissions).

There are a lot of bona fide agencies and most of them you will have heard of such as Manpower, Reed etc etc. The dodgy ones are where they advise you they 'are an online company and dont welcome telephone enquiries'. Or they just have a screen requesting a cv.

These bogus employers and agencies are also having an effect on the vacancies notified figures. I.e the govt will be stating that Uni Jobmatch had so many vacancies last month /year etc ,when in fact many of them are bogus. This then is contributing to the govt giving inflated figures.

Dont give your advisor permission to view acct as he/she wil; badger you with jobs you dont want to apply for and will stop your benefit if you dont follow up anything they have notified for. If you are a competent ,reasonabily intellgient person you can look for work yourself. In fact the JC advisor is an hindrance. Giving permission for them to view it is not really meant to help you ,but for the DWP to use it as a tool to monitor you with a view to giving you a sanction .Many claimants who arent looking for work may well deserve that, but it will generally be used to sanction 'jobseekers' as well.

Thanks for the confirmation of this. This is something I will complain about and I have done in the questionable way before. I asked for clarification of what I thought were dodgy entries which can come from anywhere except reputable agencies (they will vet CVs as well). Work Programme agencies is the most numerous source though.

• 2 weeks later...

:help:

skwalker1964.

wordpress.com/2013/09/21/yet-more-dwp-illegality/comment-page-1/

whatdotheyknow.com/request/compulsory_use_of_universal_jobm

johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/claimants-snub-universal-jobmatch-and-foil-dwps-snooping-plans/

The above links are worth surfing before you decide what to do. Also check out these;

dg_202270.pdf

ombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint

And; email to the following who are asking claiments to share their experiences of JC+, their breaching of rules & privacy rights, being 'bullied' into using UJM - with a view to bringing a class action to the courts

noconsentuj

@gmail.com

Good luck & spread the word. The more of us who stand together the harder it is for them to push us around.:help:

This is well worth a read for you: tells you what JS+ can and cant do & what you can do if they are found in breach of standards

also how much compensation could be awarded - K got 10,000 quid!

www ombudsman.org.uk/reports-and-consultations/reports/parliamentary/small-mistakes,-big-consequences/15

I think Universal Jobmatch is a great website. It is irritating when you end up on a 3rd party website and have to go through all the nonsense, but the fact is that is why we get JSA, we are paid to look for a job, it's that simple. As we are out of work, we are supposed to spend all our time looking for a job, it's fair enough! It done my head in spending hours filling out applicationf forms and then not even getting an interview but you have to keep doing it. The people in the jobcentre HAVE to view your activity on Universal Jobmatch and they HAVE to reccommend jobs for you on there otherwise THEY get in trouble. You need to record ALL your job search activity on Universal Jobsearch even if your activity has involved other websites etc, it isn't a big deal and it help YOU see what jobs you've applied for and keep track of everything, plus they can't stop your benefit if you have a lot of activity recorded. After 3 months on JSA I finally got a job, my dream job, via U.J so maybe I am biased!

I think Universal Jobmatch is a great website. It is irritating when you end up on a 3rd party website and have to go through all the nonsense, but the fact is that is why we get JSA, we are paid to look for a job, it's that simple. As we are out of work, we are supposed to spend all our time looking for a job, it's fair enough! It done my head in spending hours filling out applicationf forms and then not even getting an interview but you have to keep doing it. The people in the jobcentre HAVE to view your activity on Universal Jobmatch and they HAVE to reccommend jobs for you on there otherwise THEY get in trouble. You need to record ALL your job search activity on Universal Jobsearch even if your activity has involved other websites etc, it isn't a big deal and it help YOU see what jobs you've applied for and keep track of everything, plus they can't stop your benefit if you have a lot of activity recorded. After 3 months on JSA I finally got a job, my dream job, via U.J so maybe I am biased!

My view is I wish we had this facility when I was younger. It beats looking through newspapers and paying for stamps etc.

However, it does mean more competition for jobs. The best bet to improve my chances is to sign on with the Recruitment Agencies and UJ gives a lead on how to do this.

Job clubs were quite good in the past. I got a job through them, but it was too far away from home. Guidance in completing CVs is good as well. Mine was not up to scratch. It really needs checking. I got help from Careers Advice.

I live in an employment black spot as evidenced by the location of suitable jobs. Too far away for my comfort and that has been the case for years.

Hi Jmarie80,

I am happy for you that you found a job and that it was one suited to you career aims, well done.

I am still in transition since graduating and trying to find the job that will spark my career in medical research; so far I have taken a number of temporarylow paid manual jobs and between these had to rely on benefits of one for or another.

I am still actively seeking work and will take whatever opportunity is afforded to me.

My point isn't that UJS should be removed it is more about the way 'hardline' elements within JC+ are misusing the stipulation to register with UJS to vent their wn political frustrations on benefit climants in general.

It has been a mixed bag. Some job advisors have been incredibly professional and helped me personally find work; others have been autocratic, judgemental and interested only in their own ability to 'wield power' over someone in less fortunate circumstances - life is a mixed bag!

I have found other sites and email feeds of more use to me and more productive in finding and applying for jobs of all kinds. UJS has not [in my experience] improved on performance. So it is my objection to being bullied and intimidated by advisors who are poor at their jobs - and consequently, adverslely affected my job search activity - which has made me politically active. These advisors are misleading claimants, applying directives inappropriately and riding roughshod over peoples rights to privacy.

I don't want to live in a nanny state where I am presumed guilty prior to facts with an autocrat frog-marching me to JC+ every day and standing over me to 'make sure' I pay with blood sweat and tears for a benefit I am entitled to and have 'when working' paid national insurance contributions for.

If we should follow the rules stipulated my the new statutes then so should these advisors.

It is becoming more apharent that breaches in the way JC+ deliver their service, and possibly illegal targets [see recent news reports of whistle-blowers and the use of sanctions to reduce the benefits bill] as the undisclosed 'bear traps' put in place to legitimise the removal of JSA from claimants - these measures can ruin lives and should only be applied sparingly as a last resort, not routinely to enable a bad government to ballance its books after implementing a raft of badly thought out policy.

I hope this clarifies my position a little.

I still continue to job-search to the best of my ability and continue to be held back and frustrated by elements in JC+ who seem to have chosen me to 'punish' as a focus for their own personal limitations as human beings.

I wish you all success in your new job Jmarie80.

Glad you got a job from UJ - by the law of averages it has to happen to a few people, but I and the vast majority find UJ to be the worst-designed and unreliable job site I've ever encountered - and even the few decent advisors at my jobcentre heartily concur. Have a look at UJ, then at Reed.co.uk and CV-Library.co.uk and you'll see how inferior UJ is, both in design and especially in available vancancies. Both Reed and CV-Library are also 'one click apply' and generate automate acknowledgements to your personal email account as proof of application.

You certainly don't have to use UJ to record all your jobsearch, nor even your actual UJ jobsearch; my own account is totally blank as I show evidence in other ways. If advisors 'get into trouble' for not forcing - and that's the word to use - people into using something they don't have to, then my heart bleeds for them even as I smile in satisfaction. If they don't follow correct guidance then they deserve everything they get.

As to it being a safe way to store jobsearch and thereby avoid sanctions, I think quite a few would loudly disagree with that - especially the person who saved all their fortnight's evidence on UJ and found it had all vanished, resulting in the advisor issuing a sanction doubt. UJ is run by a company with a known history of data loss and hacking and prone to crashing, and is the absolute last place I'd want to store my jobsearch evidence.

It's a minefield for those who are not computer-savvy too; miss seeing one notified job alert from your advisor and it's 'sanction city'. Nobody is fully aware of exactly what advisors can see from your account, should you grant them access - I assume they can see everything, including log in times and especially those apparently suitable jobs you looked at but for some reason didn't apply for. Also remember that giving them access means they can poke about your account weeks or months later and raise doubts even after telling you at the time your evidence was satisfactory. All sanction fodder.

I show paper-based evidence only and the advisor can check this in less time than it would take for her to log on to my UJ account so I can't see how UJ is even faster. The JC staff are always claiming to have so little time so I'm actually helping them process claims faster by not using UJ.

The sooner UJ is replaced by something more sensible or preferably dispensed with altogether, the better.

• 4 weeks later...

Kerion: You may find the following FoI worth reading - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mandated_access_to_a_universal_j - The annotations quoting sections of the Decision Maker's manual are worth following up. If need be, refer to the relevant paragraphs when penning your mandatory reconsideration letter.

The relevant internal guidance extract below is taken from the Availability and Actively Seeking

Employment chapter of the Labour Market Conditions Guide.

188. The JSA Regulations do not specify that claimants must keep written records of their job

search. However, encouraging a claimant to keep a written record of the steps they have taken

can help them to remember what they have done, and will help to build up a picture of the

progress the claimant is making in their efforts to find work.

189. A claimant may have set up their own records, but if their record keeping is inadequate, or

non-existent encourage them to use the Jobsearch Activity Log (ES4).

190. The evidence of jobsearch produced when they attend to have their regular reviews may

be in various forms:

 information they have provided from their Universal Jobmatch account;

 evidence in writing from employers, employment agencies, or other organisations which

they have contacted;

 copies of letters they have sent to employers;

 the claimant’s un-corroborated written evidence, for example an ES4;

 the claimant’s verbal evidence

 evidence from previous Jobsearch Reviews recorded on LMS.

In response to the question you have raised about requiring jobsearch evidence from Universal

Jobmatch. Advisers cannot mandate claimants to give them access to their Universal

Jobmatch account, nor can they force a claimant to print out screen prints of their UJ account.

Reviewing jobsearch activity - claimant using Universal Jobmatch (No DWP

access to their account)

87. To help assess that a claimant is actively seeking work you may suggest that they show

you:

 prints of any number or all of the screens/pages detailed in paragraph 86 from their

Universal Jobmatch account. However, this will not be possible for claimants who do

not have access to a printer or cannot afford to print out copies of these pages

here's the evidence.

I'm glad i have found this thread because i recently have experienced similar problems.

I was made redundant in Dec 2012 (a day before we were due to break up for Christmas, which was nice). I'd been at the company for just under 22 years. I've had a few interviews since i left but unfortunately, nothing as come of any of them.

I started signing on in April of last year and despite all the horror stories that I've heard about and read, it's not been as bad as i thought it would be. Yes, there's been a couple of Personal Advisers who were a bit overbearing but some have been fantastic, up until my latest one which i met for the first time last week. I can assure you that the following actually happened last Wednesday.

We chatted for a little bit and she seemed ok at first, until i showed her my job log and that's where the trouble started. She tried to log onto my UJM account but she couldn't because i hadn't ticked the little box. She acknowledged that i didn't have to give her permission to view the account but she did need proof that i had applied for the jobs that were on the form. She asked me if i could remember my signing on details and when i said i couldn't, she asked me how long it would take me to go home and come back so i could print them out upstairs. We agreed on 4pm (at this time it was 1pm). She also noted that there was one job i had applied for via email and said that she would need proof of this as well and asked me to accompany her upstairs, where she led me to a room with a few pc's and a printer and asked me to log into my aol account and show her the email in question. It felt wrong at the time and i should have said something there and then, but i just wasn't prepared for it at all.

Back downstairs we went and shortly afterwards i left, only to reluctantly return at 4pm. Again, we went back upstairs and i logged into my UJM accounts and i printed off my main page. Back downstairs i decided to query it and again she said that although i didn't have to give her access to my account, she did still need proof. She also asked me if i had a camera on my phone and said i could take pictures of my applications on my laptop. At this point, i started to laugh, said that was ridiculous and decided from there on in to take notes, which she didn't seem too impressed with.

Anyway, my question is, was she within her right to do any of this? Should i complain? I've got to go back tomorrow and this time I've been down the library and i've printed out what I've applied for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A JCP adviser can ask for supporting evidence of a job application, this can be an acknowledgement email, a copy of the letter sent, or a screen print.

If this adviser is demanding that you log on to a personal account from an untrusted computer (e.g. a DWP provided internet access device), be aware that the details could be intercepted - unlikely to happen at the JCP, but is possible if you use an internet cafe. I would strongly recommend that you change your passwords on a regular basis.