Ever changing solicitors bill - HELP!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had the misfortune to have a legal dispute with a neighbour ( a big corporate business) over parking rights. Knowing the history of the land and that predecessors in title had parked for over 35 years and being physically threatened and harrassed I went to a solicitor for some initial advice. That solicitor advised that a potential witness was a friend of his and we agreed that I would write to my legal insurance company to see if they would cover him undertaking the work, given his unique position.

To cut a long story short, though I wrote to my insurance company straight away my solicitor did diddly squat in respect of contacting potential witnesses and thus provide my insurance company with the information they required to assess if they would cover my claim. I only found this out when he presented me with a bill. He only started doing any work after I received court papers from the other party some three months after I had initially visited him. It was at the point that he forwarded details of his costs and I discovered that my legal insurance only covered claims and not defences and I was f*cked financially. The other party settled out of Court and I won my right to a parking space but I was left with large legal bill. I complained to the Legal Ombudsman after complaining to the solicitors and getting no response within 8 weeks.

Initally the Pre Legal Ombudsman found that there had been a delay but that there no issues re costs and that as I had no written evidence of my right to park it was doubtful that the insurance company would have funded the matter.. My solicitors had by then responded to my complaint acknowldeging a costs issue and offering a 20% reduction in fees which the pre Omdudsman person felt was fair. The firm presented me at this time with a bill for just over £5000. I appealed this given that the solicitors had accepted that there were cost issues and that the legal premise for my claim to park, prescriptive easement was based on there not being any documentation but witness's statements from those who had been parking there since the 1970's The actual Ombudsman then found that there was no delay ( no reason given) but that there were costs issues. He dismissed the fact that I could have had legal insurance to cover at least part of the costs on spurious grounds and found that the firms offer of a 20% discount was reasonable (what a surprise) but should extend to all the fees paid to them in the past and the future.He stated that he would not get into the reasonableness of the costs which I may latter wish to complain about but that I would have cause t complain if they did not offer a discount in the future. I was presented with a bill for just over £5000 to cover all the outstanding costs by the firm.. I have already paid over a grand to the solicitor and £2500 for the barrister. I paid £4500 and promised to pay the £500 + at the beginning of the next month. I hand delivered a cheque for the outstanding amount as promised and thought no more.

Then I get another bill for just over £1700 relating to costs that I thought I had already paid when I paid the £5000 bill, especially given the firms letter of offer states that I owed just over £5000 and that following the Ombudsman's decision ( which I didnt accept) the firm again wrote to advise “that the total from start to finish of your case is £5000” inclusive of VAT taking into account the 20% discount offered.

I knew this was incorrect as Id already paid them a £1000 and the legal Ombudsman seemed to arrive at a different figure but I just wanted to draw a line under the whole matter and move on and similarly to not challenging the Ombudsman's decision, which I could have as he gave no reason as to why he found no delay, I didnt challenge it and just paid it. As work was still continuing I expected a further invoice for approx £1000 minus 20%

Anyway, I ignored the bill thinking they would realise that they had made an error but then a further letter arrived stating that I still owed monies but not specifying what they were. I checked my online account and noted that the cheque I paid had not been cashed. I wrote another cheque for the £500 + which I hand delivered and emailed advising that I had again hand delivered a cheque for the outstanding monies as my first cheque appeared to have been uncashed by them and highlighted the erroneous letter wanting £1700

Today, a four days later I receive a letter advising that owe £1000 for the continuing work which I have no problem with apart from them appearing not to have included the 20% reduction, and further stating that I still also owe a further £1000+ for some retrospective stuff. Included was an intinerary of invoices sent and paid, which is incorrect in that one invoice, the most recent I have never received and others dont tally with dates or amounts I have been invoiced, and a credit note for over £200 as they had made some other errors and miscalculations.

Im finding this all absurd and stressful. Its a bill that wont die even though I make payments. I cant believe, well actually I can, the incompetence of the firm. Im mindful to send the a cheque for the £1000 + minus the 20% and tell them to sing for the rest. Ive paid what they have invoiced me for and in accordance to their offer given the mistakes. Can they keep changing the goal posts? Informed advice needed please.

Thank you

The issue here is confusion and a lack of clarity as much as anything else. I think the best way forward would be to write a short letter or email to the firm, asking them to clarify what each bill is for and what total amount is outstanding.

Do the bills include detailed narratives of the time spent by each fee earner? If so, I would be tempted to ask for this as per the firm's time recording system. If anything looks improper or excessive you can ask them to reduce it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

You must ask for a breakdown of all your costs; itemised with the time and what it was for so you make an informed decision. You can then check this against when you gave them instructions and when you paid.

Also they are supposed to keep you informed of expenditure as they go ( code of conduct ). so you can give them instructions or change them.

Do their costs reflect the instructions you gave them at each stage?

Did they send you a clear initial letter explaining what your instructions are and what they will do and how much that will cost. They have a duty to keep you informed.

Did you go through the firms complaints procedure? Should have a Partner dedicated to this.

Then if not satisfied you can take it to the Legal Complaints Service ( is this what mean by ombudsman? ); they have the power to reduce bill and oreder compensation or did you appeal this and go to the Legal services ombudsman?

If you are still having problems then go back to the Service

I understand the LCS run a free bill checking service.

If you have exhausted all these then taking them to court would be the only answer, but risky.

Thanks Steampowered and raydetinu,

I've not explained the situation very well. The firm and the Ombudsman both agree that there issues re costs given that I never received information regarding costs. I paid my first bill (£1000+in November 2011) the second bill (£1000+ end of November 2011) Myself and my solicitor agreed to defer payment given that it would not look good to keep getting loans..better to just have one load. When asked he verbally informed me the whole thing would cost £8000 including barristers costs if we went to court. He put in writing that barristers fees would be £2-3000 (in the event I paid £1500 for barrister to read my stuff and attend half day at court to discuss the offer the other party made). My solicitor never followed my instructions. He left the firm in October 2012 just before my Court date ( to become a judge!). I then had to deal with a locum solicitor who I did have discussions with via email mainly because his understanding of my case was very limited initially and he was giving contradictory advice. I complained to the firm who didnt respond at all. I then complained to the Ombudsman and during this process the firm offered to reduce my costs by 20% and presented a bill for £5000+ taking into account the 20% reduction. The Ombudsman felt that a 20% discount inclusive of VAT of previous bills was warrented and highlighted that I might challenge the reasonableness of the £5000+ bill and subsequent bills but that that would constitute a seperate complaint. The firm rebilled for the £5000+ me following the Ombudsmans decision which I didnt agree with. Just wanting to get on with my life I paid that bill in two parts, one cheque for £4500 and when I got paid a couple of weeks later I paid the outstanding £500+. I cant tell if that is a reasonable amount or not given the circumstances, though I am sure I used more time discussing things with the Locum because he didnt understand the important finer details of my case, eg I had initially made a claim to right of way onto my property also. The Locum said that was a seperate issue and I advised it was in my original claim etc.

Anyway I was expecting a further bill for approx £1000 to execute the deed we agreed and make amendments to the land registry etc. I then get a bill from their debt recovery section (a partner) advising that I owe £1700+ from outstanding invoices including the £5000+ bill. I checked with my bank and it appears that they didnt cash my cheque for £500+. The other outstanding bill I believe is from November 2011 and I thought it was included in the £5000+. I wrote another cheque for £500+ which they have now cashed and informed them of their error.

They wrote back with a list of invoives sent to me. Firtly this is innaccurate in that they assert they sent me an invoice in June this year for £1000+ when they havent. I dont have a problem with this bill apart from they forgot to deduct the 20% from it. For some reason they enclosed a credit note for this amount. Also one alleged invoice is for £6000+ not £5000+ (I have the orignal copies of invoices and letters). From this they deduce that I still owe another £1000+. I dont. I think the difficulty is the outstanding bill from November 2011 for £1000+. This amount has to be dicounted by 20% in addition to 20% of the £1000+ invoice I paid earlier that month, meaning I owe a further £6-700 odd pounds. However given that they stated in a letter that the £5000+ bill was all I owed, that at least some of that £5000+ bill constituted me bringing the new locum uptodate which I could complain to the Ombudsman again about given I had no costings what so ever, and that I am having to waste more of my time and energy on this matter due to their incompetence, that £6-700 should waived.

I am so p*ssed off with them. They havent even apologised for their past and continuing errors.They just made out that was trying to look for errors because I didnt want to pay my bill for no reason. I am tired of it all and I just wanted to pay my bill and put this all behind me with the knowledge that I would rather remove my own Kidneys with a spoon and no aneasthetic than deal with a lawyer again (and I've got a law degree!). They cant even do simple sums and obviously have no conscience.

Im thinking of writing to them pointing out the errors, advising that when the invoice of the £1000 I agreed to pay is sent to me I will pay it but I will not pay any further monies for the reasons I have given above.

Sorry that this is all rather confusing to read.

Edited by Blinkin73

It is a bit protracted and sympathise with you in your frustration.

You have tried to give a chronological view of events and if it was me I would, as you suggest, write a letter to the Partner dealing with the accounts or complaints giving the chronology details as you have laid out here and add your comments/concerns on each. You should not have to pay for a new solicitor to get up to speed at such a critical time.

At the end if you feel they should waive what they consider is the outstanding amount then say that, or if you feel inclined, make them an offer of somewhere in between as a full and final settlement of the account.

I doubt they would threaten court action to recover the money, but from what you say, you would have a good defence.

Thank you very much raydetinu for taking the time to read and understand my garbled ramblings.

I shall write them advising that the information they provided to clarify things is incorrect and that when I receive the invoice for the most recent works undertaken I will pay that £1000 + and consider that the end of the matter given the continuing shoddy miscalculations and errors rather than go back to the Legal Ombudsman in respect of invoices.

Presumably they included the 20% discount by giving you a credit note. This should not be a problem.

If you are unsure whether you still owe the 2011 bill, then just ask them.

If you think the £5000 bill includes locum time, ask for the detailed narratives and then ask them to remove anything which looks like handover time. Perhaps this has already been written off, perhaps it hasn't - you would need to see the narratives to check.

If you are confused then just write to them and ask them to clarify what bills are outstanding, advise them that you did not receive a copy of the £1000 bill and ask them to check that the 20% discount has been properly incorporated.

Proposing a partial settlement before you have clarified what is outstanding is very aggressive and very unlikely to be accepted. The solicitor is not going to write off a substantial portion of the bill without a very good reason. If you end up with the Ombudsman making a settlement offer now will make it look like you are just complaining to reduce the bill. I think you should get a proper breakdown first, including the narratives, so that you can properly justify any challenge.

Hi Steampowered, thanks you also for your time.

I have written to my solicitor only this Sunday to advise of the innacuracy of a bill recently presented to me when I thought I had paid everything. They wrote back to me on Thursday with a larger invoice. They also provided a document they entitled invoices rendered which is incorrect in that it states an invoice for a £1000+ was sent in June. It wasnt but I will pay that. It then details an invoice in April for £6700+. When actually, as I have a copy of that invoice, the amount was for £5600+ minus 20% before VAT when it should be after I just realised. The letter accompanying that invoice states "This means that up to the 29th November 2012 , the total from start to finish of yur case in respect of legal costs is £5000+. I paid it.

I have the narrative for that invoice but it means little to me. Here it is. Ittalics are mine

"professional charges for services rendered when you continued to instruct us ( being in a little town there was no other alternative). Preparing draft witness statements for Mrs w and Mr x ( One of these were completed month or so prior to the date encompassed by the invoice according to other documentation that I have). Writing to the Land registry for details of former registered proprieters. Preparing further information required by Claiments solicitors.Writing further to the land registry and to a former owner of my property (not sure who that would be as two previous owners are deceased and the only other one advised in months earlier that he couldnt help. Finalising witness statements and sending same to witnesses ( there were four witness's two of which had already signed and returned the statements by this period). Preparing list of documents and sending the same to you (actually I collected them from the office and have an email to detail this arrangement). Exchanging list of documents with the claiments solicitor. Requesting copy documents form them by way of disclosure. Furhter correspondance with the claimants solicitor on this subject. Attending Ms Y to put together aa witness statement. Completing the filing Listing questionaire with the Local Court. Seeking dates to avaid with witnesses (which he did incorrectly initially) Preparing supplemental list of documents and forwarding to claiments solicitor together with copies of relevant documents. Agreeing Directions with claiments solicitors in advance of case management conference. Dealing with the exchange of witness statements. Advisibg yourself and witnesses of trial window, Receiving without prejudice offer from Claiments solicito and taking your instructions theron. Preparing Brief for Counsel and advising of Court dates to avoid. Receiving Trial Bundle and forwarding the same to Counsel. Receiving report from Counsel and yourself as to the Pre trial review (my solicitor went to the wrong Court and therefore never attended. Locum takes over as my solicitor has left the firm). Forwarding draft Tomlin Order to you. Lenghty correspondence as to the terms of the same and of the terms of a draft Deed of Easement (this is where I had to the Locum up to speed in respect of previous advise given) Preparing Amended Defence and submitting the same (the previous one was erroneous having important elements omitted) Agreeing terms of the Tomlin Order, signing same and forwarding to the Claimants solicitor for submission to Court.

Does this constitute £5600+? I also have no idea at what rate the Locum worked on my behalf, but I presume it would be for the same rate as my previous solicitor who left to becme a Judge.

Im sorry if I seem aggressive but I am really angry at the firm for being so tardy. I thought this was all settled and done and in the past. But no. I obviously would write a more contrite explanation to the firm than the one I above which would be sure to get their backs up.

They must break down their fee into number of hours for such and such and at what rate for who? different rate for clerks/ qualified solicitor/para legal etc. also post telephone calls etc. etc.

they can charge you a lump sum for a quantity of work to achieve a section of work, providing you agreed to that in the first place.

I would be the same, and want to get it clear if what they are charging is fair let alone the errors you say they have made.

If they have made errors you must point them out and get them to agree or explain.

Go back to the Legal complaints service if you have to.

Hello again raydetinu,

I understand what you are saying but because the firm didnt do what you described the Ombudsman raised the fact that there was an issue regarding costs, even though I hadnt as I wasnt aware of this, and the firm admitted that there were costs issues and offered a 20% reduction. No quotes were given to me regarding any part of the £5000+ bill so I couldnt and didnt agree to anything.

Because the firm offered a settlement figure of £5000+ I paid it without querying it or complaining about its reasonableness as the Ombudsman stated I might. Im tired of it all after more than two years. Now the solicitors want more.

I still have time to complain to the Ombudsman if needs be, and it would be useful to ask the firm the explain how it derived at that £5000+ figure by breaking down the costs and making them more explicit. But I dont think they are able to.

The fact that they have even cocked up the most recent invoice because they forgot the 20% reduction, which they say they have sent but I truly have never recieved, and have written the wrong amounts regarding invoices issued again calls into question their ability to add things up correctly. Honestly, the mistakes that I have so far catalogued are just the tip of the iceburg. Its like a tragic comedy of errors!

Yes, the work you described in post 8 could easily add up to £5,000. But you could ask for the detailed narratives if you wish. They should be able to provide these. Solicitors generally have to enter timesheets each day, often broken down into 6 minute units, and must enter a narrative for each entry. You can therefore ask for these entries as per the firm's time recording system.

Why do you think the firm was offering a "settlement figure"? Until post number 10 you were just describing it as a bill. I would think the £5,000 bill only covers the items of work described in the bill.

I would just write to them stating which invoices you did not receive and which invoices they should send you a credit note for as they forgot to incorporate the 20% discount.

If there is work ongoing, ask for a fee estimate covering that work and then ask them to cap their costs at the top of that fee estimate. I think this is by far the best way to control solicitors' costs and is how most commercial clients do it.

Hello Steampowered,

The reason i thought the £5000 + figure (bill, invoice, settlement figure whatever you wish to call it as I was not distinguisihing those terms) was the end of the matter is because swiftly following the Ombudsman's decision the firm wrote to me advising, Italics are mine

"I am able to confirm that the amount due in respect of the bills for November 2011 (which I had paid) and March 2012 totals £1747.20 including VAT,(nope, they totalled over £2000) but rather than part paying those two invoices, the very same discount is incouded within the rest of the time spent on your matter withing the enclosed bill numbered 18655 as shown under the sub-total and marked as "20% discount on the previous invoices to include VAT"

This means up to the 29th November 2012, the total from start to finisn of your case in respect of legal costs is £5063.23+ , taking int0 account the discount offered to you by the firm"

Now can you see why I thought Id completed my payment?

Today, the firm has sent me the outstanding invoice for £1000+ that I am expecting. However even that is confusing because the accompanying letter states that the figure represents the total having deducted the 20%, but it doesnt, i guess this is where I use the credit note.

Thanks raydetinu. I will pay this latest bill/invoice and do just as you have suggested.

The thing is I never intended to get involved in a Court battle in the first place, especially where I had no legal cover. I went to see the solicitor on a fixed fee basis in July advising that I thought I had a prescriptive easement to park where I have lived for the past 10 years. I made is clear that I would be relying on my legal insurance cover. The solicitor agreed in writing to respond to my insurers requests and contact a witness whom he said was his friend, but wasnt as that witness did not respond to my solicitor initially until I went to see them in person and they advised that my solicitor was tardy. My solicitor did absoultely nothing until 3 months later when I was served with Court papers by the claiments despite the fact that the the claiments wrote to me several times threatening this and I had passed these letters to my solicitor. I imagine the claiments thought I was just digging my head in the sand. I wasnt though, I was relying on my solicitor to assist but he didnt even inform the claiments solicitor that he was representing me. He didnt seek or provide the evidence requested by my insurance company to enable them to decide if they would fund my case. This all came to light in November when he requested Court fees and I asked why he was asking me and not my insurance company and he advised that things had moved too swiftly to get the insurance company on board - that was four months after I had initially visited him and he had agreed to contact a witness to get evidence to provide to my insurance company. I a single women who works for hard for the local goverment and has a mortgage to pay. Im not rich and have had to live a life of almost deprivation to pay the fees. The solicotor charges over £200 and hour, I make £500 a week. And I am supposed to spend my spare time checking all the details of what they have written and telling them how to do maths?

So I am annoyed that I have to spend even more time on this matter. I feel very let down and angry abut the whole episode. I just want to end the matter so I can put those feelings and thoughts in a box and store somewhere and forget this ever happened.

Edited by Blinkin73

I understand your position and the desire to put things behind you, but don't get screwed either!

I think they have behaved very badly, from what you say and have not acted with due diligence and given you the duty of responsibility that they should, Not professional at all, very shoddy!

Why pay the last bill? until they comply with your request and I would make a fuss on how they treated you initially and never keeping you informed of what's going on; That would be enough for me not to pay them.

They remind me of those sharks, that once they get their hooks into you and you pay up they keep coming back for more!

Thanks for your support raydetinu.

I dont want a big fight about money. I really really want to put it all behind me and I thought I had. IThat's why I am going to pay the latest bill, copy them the invoice and letter they sent me in Apriladvising that all I owed was the %00+ and tell them that as far as I am concerned I have now paid all the invoices and that that is the end of the matter and I will not be paying anymore.

I cant believe their cheek really

It is all very stressful, I know, and you want it all to stop.

But they are not going to look at it like that, probably don't even think about it until the next account meeting at the end of the month or so.

As long as you are sure that will be it, leave them in no doubt that is it!

Good luck.

Yes, I see why you thought you completed your payment. The letter says total up to 29 November 2012 should be £5k, although I guess there could be new bills for any work done after that date.

Personally, before paying the latest bill I would ask them to confirm exactly what you owe, copying that letter. Once you pay the bill you lose leverage.

Steampowered Im glad we both agree that after paying that £5000+ bill it was reasonable for me to conclude that I no longer had any debt with the firm.

Yes, they then had a little more work to complete but the Ombudsman advised them to reduce this by 20% also otherwise I would be able to make a seperate complaint to the Ombudsman as I might also do in respect of being given the £5000+ bill. They have just invoiced me for that work, and cocked that up too hence the credit note.

I really objected to them trying to make out that I just didnt want to pay my bill when I complained to the Ombudsman, and dont want that to give them the opportunity to do that again. Thats why I'm going to pay this latest bill.

I've written an email that I am going to send to today unless I am advised otherwise. Comments would be appreciated

Dear Ms Duff,

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 9th August 2013 and enclosed documents (a schedule of invoices issued and payments received and a credit note for £213.53) which I received on 10th August 2013

I would like to highlight that your account of the details contained within invoice number 18655 does not resemble the information contained in the actual invoice . The schedule suggests the amount of work done tallied up to £6728.04, the invoice records the original amount as being £5606.70 before deductions and the VAT.

Furthermore when you furnished that invoice, the accompanying letter that you sent, stated

I am able to confirm that the amount due in respect of the bill for November 2011 and March 2012 totals £1747.20 inclusive of VAT, but rather than part paying those two invoices, the very same discount is included within the rest of the time spent on your matter within the enclosed bill numbered 18655 as shown under the sub-total and marked as “20% discount on previous invoices to include VAT.

This means that up to the 29 November 2012, the total from start to finish of your case in respect of legal costs is £5063.23, taking into account the 20% discount to you by the firm.

I would be grateful if you would please settle the outstanding invoice by return

Notwithstanding the fact that no costs information was provided to me throughout this period and I was not updated regarding the amount I owed despite the fact that I had made the firm aware that I would struggle financially especially given that Mr Collins failed to take any action in respect of my legal insurance cover, I did not query the amount and paid the bill,(in two parts £4500 in May 2013 and a cheque for the remainder which I delivered at the beginning of June 2013 but your firm failed to cash so that I had to write a further cheque in August 2013) on the the basis that that would be the end of the matter and that I had paid a full and final settlement figure and could put the whole matter behind me. That is still how I regard the situation.

I note that you purport that invoice no 19008 was provided to me on 13/06/2013. This is incorrect. Indeed ,I only received that invoice on 11th August 2013. I also note that the letter accompanying the invoice written by Ms Curd, makes a point of emphasising that the hourly rates reflect a 20% discount, which you yourself have acknowledged is incorrect after I queried another letter which was sent to me by your firm on July 16th 2013 incorrectly advising that I owed a further £1734.23. In order to settle invoice 19008, I have today personally hand delivered, in an envelope addressed to you, a cheque for the amount of £978.91 and enclosed the credit note you sent me after realising the errors.

I hope this is the end of my very disappointing experience with your firm, however should it still be thought that I still owe money, I would be happy to take the above issues up the Legal Ombudsman or defend myself in Court and request that you provide me with more in depth information regarding invoice 18655 such as time spent on what tasks and rates charged etc as clearly your firms numeracy skills and conscience are questionable. I would expect this information to be delivered to me by 17th August 2013

Forgive me but I don't understand your letter!

I would certainly not include the last paragraph, except for describing your experience in dealing with them! No point in asking for details as you are going to settle?

You can do that later if anything develops.

Also you say you paid the final bill in August following their letter; I presume this means the cheque you are going to deliver.

It may be better understand your stance and amounts if you actually list in date order ( with a note if necessary ) what they sent and what you paid.

As I see it;

1. original invoice 18655 in £5606.70 plus vat.

2. 20% reduction = £1121.34 = £4485.36

3. plus vat = £897.07 making £5382.43 new total.

4. you paid £4500.00

5. balance =£ 882.43

6. new invoice 19008 in £1747.20 inc vat and 20% discount? and balance from 5 ????

8. less credit note for £213.53??

9 less cheque for £500.00

10. new balance = £1033.67 ( not £987.91 )

probably wrong as sort of gleamed this from you have put.

Edited by raydetinu

Haha raydetinu :lol:. Thank you for trying to work it all out. You so nearly got it right!

Using your example, this is what I think has happened, but its hard to tell because they keep providing mixed up figures, and I am confued in respect of deductions being made sometimes before and sometimes after VAT and then of there were the deductions made on bills in respect of invoices already paid.

1. November 2011 invoice for £1014.00 - Paid in December 2011 despite the fact that I received an estimate for this piece of work for £600 + VAT. I had oridinally attended his office in July 2011 to contact witnesses so that I could get witness statements re my rights and hopefully come to an agreement with the other side. But my solicitor did nothing at that time and the other party then sued me three months later.

2. March 2012 - invoice for £1170.00. Not paid. No estimate given. Verbally discussed costs with solicitor and agreed, whole thing including 3 days in Court if it got that far and a Barrister would cost another £8000, I to save up for barrister (costed at approx £3000 and he put this in writing to me) and pay solicitors costs (£5000) at the end when I could finance this with a loan, rather than getting several little loans. These costing were utter tosh.

3. April 2013 - invoice for £4945.63 and £118.60 of disbursements =£5063.23 . This figure derived by deducting 20% from original sum of £5606.70 = 4485.36 + VAT =£5382.43 then subtract 20% discount from Nov and March bill (£436.80) =4945.63

4. £4500 bill paid in May by cheque

5. £563.23 paid by cheque in June 2011

6 Letter recieved stating I owed £1734.23 in July 2013

7. Wrote another cheque in August for £563.23 after checking with bank and establishing that my previous cheque had not been cashed. Therefore completely discharging the £5000+ bill

8 Further works incorrectly invoiced for £1192.44 ( within the estimate given) because solicitors fees (originally £889.70 plus VAT) had not been reduced by 20% hence credit note for £213.53. hence I will provide cheque for £987.91

9 The little schedule of invoices they recenlty provided shows I owe £2013.31 all together including the bill above for £1192.44

Does that make (some sort of) sense?

I think they forgot to include March 2012 bill in their bill in April 2013. But thats not my problem. They said that the £5000+ was all I owed and I paid that

I will take on board your other suggestions too

Edited by Blinkin73

Thank you. Im sure it wont be the last that I hear from them, but I think Im justified in thinking that I have paid everything now and any monies they believe I still owe, arent in fact owed due to their own mistake.