• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

incap stopped (due to investigation) HELP please

topCatDC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

I found out by accident that I'm being investigated by dwp fraud dept .

I went to the post office last month and no money paid in so as you do I rang them and was given a number to ring , the lady on the phone asked questions such as when do I get paid etc. , I though security checking no problem . then the bomb shell , she said I was being investigated for fraud apparently I was working (news to me ) ,I had been going to see my family who run a company and sitting chatting in the office. 3-4 days a week as my wife's father was seriously ill and I needed a break from it all . I didn't even answer a phone just chatted , so now my money stopped from April ,I get no money in at all and we have to live off my wife's wages .

any way I asked how long the checks would take and how soon my money would restart

and was told literally" how long is a piece of string "and the lady refused to give any details, I don't know where I stand or how we are going to pay our bills until its sorted

I was told also if they find any thing I would be spoken to under caution (I think)

so I asked if I needed a solicitor and was told why are you guilty .

I said No but I would need to know what my next step is . when she hung up .

so now we owe 4 weeks rent £95 week and 2 months council tax (I have spoken to the rent office and now receive £8 discount) but with my health not good and my wife's I need to find answers

and where I can get legal aid for this as we have no money

oh sorry about the ramble ,

please any advice that can help would be appreciated .

oh spoke to cab and was told don't sign jobseekers as that's admitting your fit for work

Unfortunately, without a decision there is nothing to appeal. But what you can do is be proactive, write a letter explaining the situation, send it with a letter fom the family member who runs the business, and if you can get them, statements from unrelated workers at the company saying you were just visiting and being near your family, and not working. Also send copies of yours and your wife's bankstatements showing no payments going in. In the letter that you write, explain you are in financial hardship due to the benefit suspension, and that you feel the suspension of your benefit with no contact or chance to explain the situation is unfair and has directly caused the hardship.

Also put in another letter of complaint to the complaints team, that your benefit suspension was unwarranted and has caused you hardship - you were not contacted, and as far as you are aware the only evidence against you is that you regularly went to visit family at their place of work (was this at a time when you'd otherwise be alone, if so be sure to mention that, and also any stress you are under and any mental health issues that might mean company of family is beneficial), also point out this action has put your home at risk.

Hopefully that should get things moving. Send everything next day delivery, then give it two weeks, and if you've heard nothing, call the woman every day asking for an update (or get someone to call on your behalf).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

well some good news , I contacted the local authorities and Im entitled to £8 housing and £1 council tax refund :whoo:

not much but better than now't

the investigator contacted me yesterday and I explained to her about my situation and she promised they would deal with it urgently :jaw: yep right .

2 months so far. oh she also said after they go to the alleged place of work , they will decide if I need interviewed under caution .

she said also I could sign the jobseeker ,but I replied "no chance that would be admitting I'm fit for work" .

any way ill keep you all informed of developments . (I did wright down our conversations so it cant be twisted round timed and dated )

• 1 month later...

well I have finally got a letter I get interviewed next Wednesday

I was doing allowed work (or so I believe )or what ever its called, I was not physically working just instructing/consulting some one how to do a job .

so I hope I haven't shot my self in the foot . Any way knowing my luck lately they will throw the book at me .

I have decided to go with a solicitor for advice , I haven't a clue what details they have , so wish me luck im going to need it .

So your story has already changed from just sitting in an office chatting to doing what you see as permitted work.

They would have a QB9 wage enquiry completed by the employer if they have paid you anything for your "consultaing" which will show any hourly rate and hours/days worked etc.

All I can advise is get your story straight as to what happened and if you think it was permitted work stick with it and you should ok, unless the earnings, if there is any or if the hours worked is above the permitted threshold.

thanks for the advice ,,I will get on it now .

Out of interest,when did you 1st claim Incapacity benefit ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I did start off just visiting that's true , and for the last few months I did the same . I was asked to consult on some work , that's true .

I didn't fill in a pw1 never heard of it .

I've been on incap for 12 years , i have arthritis right through my body and colitis and have serious problems walking , in-fact doing any thing physical .

I did phone up and ask about permitted work and was told yes you can do 15 hours a week I never went over that . I did if I remember right tell them I would be doing it .

I never got any more info from them that I can recall , if I have been naïve and get in to trouble ill put my hands straight up for it .

I've always been law abiding

not sure what will happen or what they will do to me , but I'm expecting to be taken to court , but what will happens there I've no idea.

I have never claimed any other discounts or benefits including housing tax and rent .

sorry if I misled people it wasn't intentional .I'm just so stressed at the minute with this and other family tragedy's that have happened.

about £90- per week I wasn't told how much was allowed.

I was paid fortnightly so near enough £200 per fortnight .

the lady on the phone asked questions such as when do I get paid…apparently I was working (news to me ) ,I had been going to see my family who run a company and

sitting chatting in the office. 3-4 days a week….I was doing allowed work (or so I believe )or what ever its called, I was not physically working just instructing/consulting…I did start off just visiting that's true , and for the last few months I was asked to consult on some work…I've been on incap for 12 years , i have arthritis right through my body and colitis…I did phone up and ask about permitted work and was told yes you can do 15 hours a week I never went over that…about £90- per week I wasn't told how much was allowed….I was paid fortnightly so near enough £200 per fortnight

Well if I was the investigator and you had told me that story – you are bang to rights!

You go from – no I don’t work – to yes I have for the past few months and earned about £200 a fortnight.

What bit don’t you understand about working and being too ill to work that you don’t understand?

Permitted Work has to be approved by the DWP BEFORE youstart.

Your story seems to have developed as the factsemerge, attempting to try and cover up what you did

Well if I was the investigator and you had told me that story – you are bang to rights!

You go from – no I don’t work – to yes I have for the past few months and earned about £200 a fortnight.

What bit don’t you understand about working and being too ill to work that you don’t understand?

Permitted Work has to be approved by the DWP BEFORE youstart.

Your story seems to have developed as the factsemerge, attempting to try and cover up what you did

As long as it falls within the type of work that is permitted and the earnings isn't over the threshold limit your allowed to earn, then the DM should class it as permitted work regardless of whether you informed them or not.

You may be open for a civil penalty for not informing them but no too sure if they are handing these out yet.

It will all be down to what FIS has received from your employer and/or bank statements they may have obtained.

about £90- per week I wasn't told how much was allowed.

I was paid fortnightly so near enough £200 per fortnight .

You can only do permitted work at that rate for a year - so anything over that you won't be able to argue permitted work. Also the higher level permitted work threshold was lower in previous years, so you may well have been above that if you earned in previous years. and anything 16 hrs or over also is not allowed, unless earning less than £20 a week.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Out of interest,when did you 1st claim Incapacity benefit ?

27July 2013 15:51

I did start off just visiting that's true , and for the last few months I did the same . I was asked to consult on some work , that's true .

I didn't fill in a pw1 never heard of it .

I've been on incap for 12 years , i have arthritis right through my body and colitis and have serious problems walking , in-fact doing any thing physical .

I did phone up and ask about permitted work and was told yes you can do 15 hours a week I never went over that . I did if I remember right tell them I would be doing it .

I never got any more info from them that I can recall , if I have been naïve and get in to trouble ill put my hands straight up for it .

I've always been law abiding

not sure what will happen or what they will do to me , but I'm expecting to be taken to court , but what will happens there I've no idea.

I have never claimed any other discounts or benefits including housing tax and rent .

sorry if I misled people it wasn't intentional .I'm just so stressed at the minute with this and other family tragedy's that have happened.

OP posted this on 5th February 2009 13:42

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?182068-suspended-from-work-but-contract-has-expired!!!

ok my problem is Ive been suspended from work untill further notice since 2nd jan 2009 but my contract has ran out on the 25th.......what are my opitions Im still under investigation for alleged gross misconduct (which I believe I didnt do) but Ive has no feed back, telling me if im still in employment, none of the team leaders are giving me any real feed back, just the same old line, "I cant tell you that at the moment I'll have to speak to so-n-so who is investigating, they will get back to you"

HELP!!!! bills are due and although I have been looking for new employment I was told that during suspention that i would get full pay.

5th February 2009 19:23

thanks for the info .

just one little thing as i was suspended on full pay before the contract ended will or should i get paid as usual .

any info at all would be Greatfully Received

30th July 2008 18:06

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?153957-Discount-for-gas-elec-if-on-inc-dla

I have just spoken to my power suppliers and there is a scheme

where you can get a discount on your energy bills if you are disabled .

according to EDF all the big company's do this but don't advertise it

it took 5 minutes and a couple of questions , (its called social care , its not a charity)

i now receive a 15% discount on both gas and electric.

hope this helps someone

regards TC

19th June 2007 18:00

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?95197-my-employer-is-making-changes-to-my-contract-without-asking&p=928737&viewfull=1#post928737

I believe what i have stated is correct but if any one know better please let me know I had 2 company's for 25 years

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

As long as it falls within the type of work that is permitted and the earnings isn't over the threshold limit your allowed to earn, then the DM should class it as permitted work regardless of whether you informed them or not.

You may be open for a civil penalty for not informing them but no too sure if they are handing these out yet.

It will all be down to what FIS has received from your employer and/or bank statements they may have obtained.

I agree " the type of work that is permitted and the earnings isn't over the threshold limit your allowed to earn, then the DM should class it as permitted work regardless of whether you informed them or not", but you cannot expect the DM to agree it AFTER the event. Given the number of times the poster has changed their story, how is the OP ever going to prove to the DM that the work undertaken was not contrary to that claimed that resulted in ESA being granted.

Are you suggesting that if someone is caught working for 11 months and earning less than the limit at the time they can just walk away with telling the DM that it was PM? There is a lot of suspicion here. I feel that the OP is trying to 'fit' their circumstances into such an argument that they can walk away with being caught out.

Getting a DM to view it now will be a lot harder than if they had contacted them beforehand and had a ruling before undertaking any work.

If what you say everybody in this situation (hours and duration) can use this get out clause - i'm surprised that it isn't used more often by other benefit cheats.

I agree " the type of work that is permitted and the earnings isn't over the threshold limit your allowed to earn, then the DM should class it as permitted work regardless of whether you informed them or not", but you cannot expect the DM to agree it AFTER the event. Given the number of times the poster has changed their story, how is the OP ever going to prove to the DM that the work undertaken was not contrary to that claimed that resulted in ESA being granted.

Are you suggesting that if someone is caught working for 11 months and earning less than the limit at the time they can just walk away with telling the DM that it was PM? There is a lot of suspicion here. I feel that the OP is trying to 'fit' their circumstances into such an argument that they can walk away with being caught out.

Getting a DM to view it now will be a lot harder than if they had contacted them beforehand and had a ruling before undertaking any work.

If what you say everybody in this situation (hours and duration) can use this get out clause - i'm surprised that it isn't used more often by other benefit cheats.

That is exactly what a DM would do under ESA or have in the majority of cases I have looked at.

Incap is slighlty different which is what the OP is on, however the DM will still generally go down the permitted work route if it fits all the criteria.

Obviously if they are over the hours/earnings threshold then it is a different kettle of fish.

I know the story has changed to suit, but until the IUC they will not know what FIS has.

• 3 months later...

well just to let you know the dwp have sent a letter saying I have been over paid a large amount (total with held) and they want it back (which is fine by me as I wasn't trying to [problem] any one as I told them in my iuc , ) any way I 'm non the wiser what happens now with the process , the dwp are claiming I have been working for 7 years which I have not done , my old bank account shows payments of £75 a week going in from the company but I did not work for it , and have no way of proving it .

I did explain things in the iuc as best I could ,.

they contacted the company I was at and said" its going to court" (this was the lady who did the iuc ) but then she has said "it might or might not be" .

can she decide or is it up to a higher authority . oh I've also lost my mobility car as part of this so I'm now stuck in the house unless my wife or some one takes me out .

I did hold my hands straight up to the work part of the investigation and explained I did seek permission first . , how ever I have no idea what's going to happen now .

thanks to the people who advised on my questions and I didn't mean to mislead any one .

how ever I have no idea what's going to happen now .

A file of the case will now be sent to the CPS to consider prosecution. The investigator had to contact your employer again as they are classed as a witness & could be called if the case gets to court & you plead not guilty.

A file of the case will now be sent to the CPS to consider prosecution. The investigator had to contact your employer again as they are classed as a witness & could be called if the case gets to court & you plead not guilty.

Thanks for the reply at least I know now , thanks again .

well just to let you know the dwp have sent a letter saying I have been over paid a large amount (total with held) and they want it back (which is fine by me as I wasn't trying to [problem] any one as I told them in my iuc , ) any way I 'm non the wiser what happens now with the process , the dwp are claiming I have been working for 7 years which I have not done , my old bank account shows payments of £75 a week going in from the company but I did not work for it , and have no way of proving it .

I did explain things in the iuc as best I could ,.

they contacted the company I was at and said" its going to court" (this was the lady who did the iuc ) but then she has said "it might or might not be" .

can she decide or is it up to a higher authority . oh I've also lost my mobility car as part of this so I'm now stuck in the house unless my wife or some one takes me out .

I did hold my hands straight up to the work part of the investigation and explained I did seek permission first . , how ever I have no idea what's going to happen now .

thanks to the people who advised on my questions and I didn't mean to mislead any one .

Thanks for the reply at least I know now , thanks again .

So can you tell us then how much they are asking you to repay !

Edited by 45002