childcare tax fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help me. I have totally screwed up and know I am facing prison.

I have received a letter asking for my childcare receipts to finalise my 13-14 award. My ex moved back in within the last few weeks, this was totally unexpected so the kids no longer need childcare. I have called the tax credits and told them this and have had a letter saying I no longer qualify and have to pay the last few weeks back.

That's not my big problem, the problem is now I can't call and finalise my 2012-13 award as I have claimed childcare costs that I haven't paid.

My ex was out of work so started picking the kids up, I wanted to call and tell them but I was desperate for money and would have lost my house without the extra money. I thought just another week and then a another week and now the whole year has gone by and I've actually only paid £216 childcare instead of the 10K I have said I paid.

I don't know what to do, I can't sleep, I'm shouting at the kids, I want to kill myself but I love my kids and it would effect their lives forever.

Please help me.

I am sorry I don't have info/advice to give you here, but I do know that those who can will come along soon and help in any way that they can. Sometimes the weekend can be quiet on CAG. The only thing I can say is that there is always a way through any situation. However you may be feeling please remember that.

Have you tried the citizens advice? I am sure they can give advice, I know they have a website also which may be worth a visit. Have you thought of getting a solicitor? even just one of those one off set payment appointments for info and what to do first? Forgive me if you have done all this, these are just my thoughts of how to help.

HMRC rarely prosecute in these cases. what happens is that you admit the truth to them, you get an overpayment which is then clawed back from your tax credits award - normally at 25% og your award, if I remember rightly, but if this causes you financial difficulty then you can apply to have it reduced to 10%.

You made a mistake that lots of desperate people do, come clean, and you'll find all this worry and stress will be off your shoulders.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I can't contact cab. I work full time and they only open office hours. There is only me and boss in office so couldn't get out without her knowing.

I can't believe I have been such a fool. Without the child tax money I will lose my house. I've spent all day working money out and even with iva I don't know how I'll manage.

How do I tell them. Shall I write I'm to scared to call. What do I write. I haven't got a clue.

Any help please

Just write the facts, give details of when you paid childcare and didn't, and apologise.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Please try not to worry because I was in the same position 3 years ago. I was claiming more than my fees were and when the letter turned up for the check I felt sick.

Anyway I called the number on the letter and admitted what i'd done. There was no point in lying as they had already been i touch with the nursery prior to writing to me.

The lady adjusted my award to reflect the new fees and adjusted the previous years award which is the information they were actually asking for. I only provided the tax year they were referring to.

I asked if I would be prosecuted, or receive a fine and she said no as I had admitted straight away what i'd done.

I'm now in the final tax year of the 3 it has taken and repaying 25% per week they are taking from my award.

I must admit though I wrote to them 3 times asking for the 25% to be reduced as my husband became ill and lost his job they refused each time even though I only worked 24 hours per week.

But my advice is just be honest and provide the imformation for the tax years they are requesting.

Thanks for replying sirbob but it sounds like you had some childcare costs I haven't used the childcare provider listed at all and the new one I've only used a couple of times.

What amount of money did you owe?

I keep claiming down and then all of a sudden it all hits me again and I panic like mad, they say I'm not entitled to anything now so they wont be able to take it from my award. I am going to have to do an IVA as at the moment I after bills I have £30 left a week for food, kids, clothes, petrol etc. I need car as without it I cant get to work, with no work I'm in bigger mess.

If I can't pay what will they do, do they send people to prison if they can't pay?

I wish I had never bothered going back to work after I had kids, I wish I had got council house and lived off state. I have worked full time and missed all my kids sports days, trips, class assembly's etc. I am always tired and grumpy cause I work and what have I achieved I have got us more in the **** than ever.

Hi Hunni, I'm in exactly same position as you, I had claimed the childcare and kids weren't using it, I have wrote a letter detailing all of this and apologised I'm awaiting respond I will keep u updated ad to what happens try not to worryxxxx

I wasn't using the nursery either. I was claiming for the school holidays but then my in-laws would offer to have the kids so they never went.

My overpayment was almost £6000 which like I say they have been taking off me at 25% per week.

I hope you get sorted soon and like I say just be honest with them.

Thanks for the replies. I can't believe what a fool I've been. All these years of hard work and going without and I've just completely ruined it all by being so stupid.

I just hope I get a fine and slapped wrists. Don't think I'd cope very well if they prosecute.

I'm going to send letter tomorrow any ideas how long till I hear anything. I suppose it will be weeks. God knows what state I'll be in by then. Struggling to sleep and every time I eat I feel sick. Oh well only got myself to blame.

Good luck rachie and keep me informed. Any idea what you'll owe? Will it just be the childcare element that we owe or will we owe what we've been paid for whole year?

I'm guessing just the childcare, I thnk I'm going to owe around 8grand, I don't check renewals and really thought I had cancelled but nope, I sent letter last weds so only been a few days will keep u updated as mc as poss, I'm still so scared xxx

Whatamess.. You're not being asked to finalise 13/14 award. They're asking you to finalise 12/13 and renew for 13/14. You can't confirm for 2014 as it hasn't occurred yet.

You can put your childcare costs for last year 12/13 as nil and for this year 13/14 nil and add your partner if you're going to make a joint claim x

scotgal 

Hi scotgal do you think I will be in much trouble. Have you been through something similar.

I'm just worried, I have tried for so many years to give my kids a good start and now their mum could have a criminal record. What sort of example is that setting. Really annoyed with myself.

If anyone else has been through this I would appreciate knowing the outcome. Has anyone been prosecuted.

I'll keep you informed rachie x

Hi does anyone know if this would effect my child benefit, was due to go in today and hasn't, all child benefit Iain partners name cause of my step children living with us and they won't speak to me, I haven't told him about any of this awfull mess, he suffers with ME and think all this stress would bring on a bad patch,I just can't cope with anymore of this. I thinking child benefit may have stopped as jack his eldest is 16 now, but that shouldn't make it stop comp,etly surely there is 4other children on the claim, also he is still in school doing gcse xxx

Whatamess, from others experiences and outcomes the likliehood is a penalty along with your overpayment. I've never heard of anyone getting prosecuted. If you'd claimed for fictitious children or forged childcare receipts then it's a different ballgame. Finalise your award for last year by saying exactly what u paid in fees and then put your fees as zero in your renewal x

scotgal 

Rachie it shouldnt affect your CHB, did partner let them know the 16yr old was staying in full time education? They will stop paying for him immediately he turns 16 if he didn't. CHB stop paying if they've had mail returned, a discrepancy in address, mismatching data. Or maybe you were paid early due to sons approaching 16 and you haven't noticed? I can't speculate, best thing is for partner to ring x

scotgal 

Child benefit doesn't stop as soon as a child turns 16, my daughter turned 16 in january & it's still going. I think it stops in the August/september if they're not going on to further education but they would write & ask about that.

Mine just didn't go in one month. I rang them and was told it was because my child was 16, I had to then tell them they were staying on at school, it was reinstated, but you're right I think it does continue up until the first Monday in september x

scotgal 

Hi sorry been busy with kids and dept agency. I've posted my letter so just a waiting game now. Wish I could sleep and my heart would stop pounding. Any ideas how long till I hear. On other threads it says 4 to 6 weeks.

Could do with some more advise please. I am looking at doing an IVA. I really don't know much about them but can't risk losing the roof over our heads. I have also applied for an evening job. I already work 40 hours and this would be another 12. Can they do an IVA and include the childcare overpayment I'll get (hopefully). I've read that any money owed to government can't be included but lady from dept place said it can but I have no idea how much I will owe. She wants me to sign next week. Really confused would I be better to just work my way through this. The last thing I want is to do something wrong and get in more trouble.