Benefits cap leads to eviction notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Benefits cap leads to eviction notices in trial area

Social landlords in Haringey say changes to welfare system are forcing them to take legal proceedings to terminate leases.

Story http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/may/01/benefit-cap-eviction-threat

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tenants participating in a trial of the government's controversial benefit cap are being sent eviction letters because the welfare changes mean they "may not be able to afford the rent" and they may have to leave their homes within 14 days, according to documents obtained by the Guardian.

Oh, so they are forcing the tenant to "prove" they can afford to stay in the property by issuing an eviction notice and offering them the chance to defend !!

The letter from Genesis says it has been forced into taking these steps because of the "significant changes being currently introduced to the welfare benefit system". The letter warns that, if the tenants do not offer a defence, a court can force eviction within 14 days.

Haringey council says it is "astonished by the premature threat" of eviction – which raised the possibility that scores of families may end up on the streets. It has 660 households who face an average £50-a-week loss because of the cap – and is spending £1.5m over three months to offer them homes within 1.5 miles of the borough.

Claire Kober, the Labour leader of Haringey council, said she knew of a number of social landlords using the threat of eviction since the benefit cap was introduced. "This behaviour of housing associations is completely unacceptable, especially given their stated social mission," she said. "But this underlines to me that the fears that we expressed to government about the consequences of the benefit cap are coming true.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

8 week payment to landlord tactic :ninja:

There is still the mechanism to switch UC payments from claimant to landlord if there is 8 weeks of arrears.

Expect unofficial under the counter advice to be;

1, put 8 weeks rent into a bank account

2, we as social landlord will make application for direct payment.

3, pay us 8 weeks saved or use as an interest free loan with monthly repayments!

4, que taking the **** bailiffs, WONGA, loan sharks and mass homelessness.

Ah but that homelessness will be classed as voluntary so Council will tell you to bugger off!

This is the letter being sent by Genesis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43573[/ATTACH]

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This article is lazy reporting.

Genesis, like many housing associations, assist local authorities with housing those on the housing waiting lists. They do this by renting private properties and renting them to these homeless families at market rents. The private landlord gets a guaranteed period of time of rental (it can be 3 years or more), and the local authority reduce the size of their immediate homeless families. The tenancies are ASTs and therefore subject to the same possession claims as any other AST - i.e. a no fault s21 can be served, a PO will be granted - usually for 14 days, but can be extended to 42 if necessary. The warrant has to be executed after the 14 days - and the bailiffs give at least 7 days before the actual eviction date - and in most London boroughs the bailiffs are so busy it is more likely to be three or four weeks after the 14 days.

That aside, the bottom line is that the houses they are planning to repossess are from private landlords, and if the rents cannot be met, then the housing association suffer the loss as the private landlord will still demand to be paid. It is untenable, and therefore the housing association is issuing notices in order to stop arrears arising in the first instance. If those in the properties can afford the shortfall, they get to stay - and that is pretty much exactly the case for anyone with any form of property - you pay, you stay, you don't (or can't) pay, you go. It's basic business and isn't some hidden agenda by the housing association to hurt people.

The article barely touches on the fact that the people affected will not be homeless, they will merely be rehoused to further ASTs in properties that don't cost as much.

The article is essentially hot air and a non-story.

I don't believe a word of this, this is just political point scoring. the act has only been on trial for less than two weeks, they haven't got to eviction level yet.

PS If a family can't survive nicely thank you on £500 per week, they are living the luxury style too much.

I don't believe a word of this, this is just political point scoring. the act has only been on trial for less than two weeks, they haven't got to eviction level yet.

PS If a family can't survive nicely thank you on £500 per week, they are living the luxury style too much.

Have you considered nicotine replacement therapy or Valium?

I've never ever stalked anybody on here but have incidentally come across your posts!

How about a lovely fag? You know it makes sense! Or a bit of meditation? A nice massage? I'll even pay!

technobabbled-lovelyfags.jpg

Have you considered nicotine replacement therapy or Valium?

I've never ever stalked anybody on here but have incidentally come across your posts!

How about a lovely fag? You know it makes sense! Or a bit of meditation? A nice massage? I'll even pay!

Mate, come on. You know the rules round here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

... If a family can't survive nicely thank you on £500 per week, they are living the luxury style too much.

This reads like political point scoring. Many households who rely on the benefits system don't receive £500pw ...

Mate, come on. You know the rules round here.

Rules apply for goose as well as the gander!

Not the 1st time (but hopefully the last) site admins have trolled the benefits board with political opinionated [naughty word]!

Admins should be a neutral impartial decider of fact which can be quite factious on here! Not just some pure statement of assumption, bias, I read the daily fail and I can get away with it because I'm site team!

End of!

Thank god I'm enjoying my mint juleps tonight or I'd really kick off! This one has previous and I'm squiffed and wordy atm!

Come on Wadey ya mad bi polar darts playing god! He's doing the walk on girl as well if the naked twitter pick id to believed. He's not as bouncy (well he probably is latter) for his darts :-x

• Confused 1

Rules apply for goose as well as the gander!

Not the 1st time (but hopefully the last) site admins have trolled the benefits board with political opinionated [naughty word]!

Admins should be a neutral impartial decider of fact which can be quite factious on here! Not just some pure statement of assumption, bias, I read the daily fail and I can get away with it because I'm site team!

End of!

Thank god I'm enjoying my mint juleps tonight or I'd really kick off! This one has previous and I'm squiffed and wordy atm!

Come on Wadey ya mad bi polar darts playing god! He's doing the walk on girl as well if the naked twitter pick id to believed. He's not as bouncy (well he probably is latter) for his darts :-x

Dammit, this ain't easy. We may be ST, but that doesn't mean that we're not entitled to opinions. And you're free to disagree with those opinions, you're just not free to respond with personal abuse.

As you say, onwards and upwards, right?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi

this is the link to there response to the letter of 11th April 2013 from there own website: http://www.genesisha.org.uk/news/response_to_media_reports.aspx

it states:

Genesis responds to media reports

Genesis regrets any distress that the letter dated 11 April 2013 and sent out to 57 temporary housing residents in the London Borough of Haringey may have caused to these families. At Genesis we have strict processes in place to ensure all our communications to our residents are of the highest standard, we accept that on this occasion we did not meet this standard.

The letter was not a notice of eviction; Genesis is not evicting, nor has it sought to evict any residents as a result of welfare reform. We have contacted all those that received this letter, to reassure them of this fact.

Genesis acts in partnership for these properties with the London Borough of Haringey and third party landlords. The nature of temporary housing is such that managing agents have lease obligations, guaranteeing a landlord full vacant possession at the end of the lease. In order to ensure that this happens, a section 21 notice is required. These letters were for that purpose.

We will continue to work with our residents to help them sustain their tenancies. We have over the last year been working closely with both temporary housing tenants and our own tenants who are at risk list of benefit reductions as identified by the DWP, and subsequently by the local authority. This work includes home visits by Genesis staff, to discuss ways in which tenants can minimise the impacts of welfare reform on their households.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I'm just trying to dissuade the most established and esteemed poster who is held in high reverence and is abusing their station by the use of comedical embarrassment!

How about a disability awareness course followed by the fact the Daily Fail is not always true course?

I'll agree to go on a think before you drink n post course in return!

My spearmint n sugar penguins are melting into tasty bourbon mint juleps: 1st world problems that are tasty :-D

This reads like political point scoring. Many households who rely on the benefits system don't receive £500pw ...

And the minority who do, either live somewhere like London or have several children.

I'm just trying to dissuade the most established and esteemed poster who is held in high reverence and is abusing their station by the use of comedical embarrassment!

How about a disability awareness course followed by the fact the Daily Fail is not always true course?

I'll agree to go on a think before you drink n post course in return!

My spearmint n sugar penguins are melting into tasty bourbon mint juleps: 1st world problems that are tasty :-D

He wasn't abusing any station, he was expressing an opinion. And you're free to offer comments on that opinion. Just not personal abuse, yeah? Seriously, I'm trying to keep this light and easy. Work with me, man.

• Haha 1

It was a pure statement based on my own income and lifestyle, there is absolutely no political intent whatsoever.

Why do those who either can't or won't answer always hide behind the 'you must be a DM reader'.

You want an honest answer? Well imo maybe because thats the kind of it's the view that the Mail is known for. Complete ignorance for anyone apart from the rich and making out that anyone who's on social security is overly pampered and living the life of Riley, when in reality thats far from the truth. Most of peoples income goes towards paying private landlords for a start.

But as you're a mod on here I'd have thought you'd at the very least be aware of that?

Edited by sadone

What I fail to get my head around is the blatant double standards displayed by this government, anyone unfortunate enough to be out of work or unable to work due to health issues is regarded as an unwanted burden on the hard working tax payer.

Yet companies like Goldman Sachs can be let off £20 million in unpaid tax interest by HMRC. It is only right and proper that this is now being challenged in court by UK Uncut Legal Action.

Every year £25 billion is lost to the public purse through tax avoidance schemes such as the one Goldman Sachs used. The government cannot seriously claim to be clamping down on tax avoidance whilst it continues to let companies off millions in tax owed.
source http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2013/05/02/hmrc-in-the-high-court-over-goldman-sachs-sweetheart-tax-deal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+org%2FlWWh+(Tax+Research+UK+2)

When are we going to get a level playing field in this country? I'm sick to death of welfare recipients taking the blame for all the countries ills.

• Confused 1

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Because it's always easier to kick those who are already down and who don't have the power to fight back. It's what made the Tories what they are today dont'cha know. :D

• Confused 1

My husband and I were discussing this last night, and were saying that the 'entitlement culture' attributed to those on benefits actually doesn't exist, and it's the well off that have a culture of entitlement, 'I pay my taxes so I'm entitled to.....', 'I've worked hard all my life for what I have so I'm entitled to...', 'I employ thousands of people and create jobs so I'm entitled to.....', 'They haven't paid in/contributed/been born here, so they're not entitled to....'.

You're a soul waiting to be born, you have no idea where you'll be born, what type of person you will be, who your parents will be, what attributes or disadvantages you'll have, whether you'll be rich or poor, healthy, sick or disabled, how intelligent or adaptive you'll be, what life skills you'll have, and how life events will treat you, whether you'll be loved or abused, or what you'll be able to make of your life. Now design a tax and welfare system. This is how it should be. Not how it is now, which is to reward those who are luckier with their 'life allocation', and assume that those that haven't 'made it', just haven't been trying hard enough.

Not everyone is born with the same abilities, and some experience life events that ramatically curtail their abilities.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Plenty of people have expressed jealousy of my lifestyle because I don't have to go out to work every day. I'd be happy to swap places with most of them.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.