Possible fraud at my address, please help!

ian-d
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I received a driving license in the post for someone else, with my address on it. I called up the DVLA and they told me to just return it, as it might be an error on their system.

I have today received a letter from Lloyds TSB stating that this same person (at my address) has reached their overdraft limit (and beyond) and explaining about overdraft charges. I have phoned Lloyds and they have just told me to return it as "not at this address".

Naturally with receiving two bits of information, I'm now worried someone is using my address for fraudulent activities.

I have lived at this address for over 6 years since it was built, so there has never been any other residents.

I have carried out a credit report with Equifax which is absolutely clear (no credit checks) and I'm just waiting on the report from Experian, though hope/expect it to be the same.

Is there anything else I can do at this stage? I'm incredibly protective of my privacy, always shredding documents etc, so am concerned.

PS - I have retained copies of everything before sending back, just in case.

Bad news for your situation is that credit checks are on YOU, not your property. You can inform them that no-one else is resident there but it wont make a difference in the long run but will raise a flag for anyone doing a credit check in the near future.

Thanks, but they are using my address, not my name or details, so I assume any credit check is against the person and wouldn't cause me an issue as we are not linked/associated. I think they have just changed addresses using standard forms to avoid what ever; just hope nothing more comes of it!

Bad news for your situation is that credit checks are on YOU, not your property. You can inform them that no-one else is resident there but it wont make a difference in the long run but will raise a flag for anyone doing a credit check in the near future.

What will raise a flag?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

To ian-d:

If you get anything else, the first port of call is to send a full complaint to the creditor/company that is sending the documents. One can be seen as an error. Multiple.... not a chance.

If you get multiple and the company doesnt stop it, then contact actionfraud. They will log the details, and give you a case number so you can update if you get any more. Once it crosses their "seriousness" marker, they will investigate.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

True. But AF will say to discuss it with the company first. Had it happen to be a fair few years ago.

True. But AF will say to discuss it with the company first. Had it happen to be a fair few years ago.

OK Not dealt with them myself, follow Rens advice Ian.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I guess I'm just going to have to see what happens next and hope they haven't used my address for loads of things.

Hopefully credit associated with the address cannot damage my credit rating. I guess this is a regular problem with rentals, but feels horrible when it is your own home which you've owned since day dot!

It shouldn't affect you if they haven't used your name, a credit file is for you, not your address.

Just keep tabs on your file and keep us informed of any developments.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

ActionFraud don't investigate anything, ever. They fill a database and run statistical reports.

Thank you for imparting your experience, be sure to comment again in 7 years Roy...:spy:

I've been lurking seven years - wow. The mention of ActionFraud touched a nerve with me. I won't hijack the thread with details, but in my experience the fraud has to be huge before the police will get out of bed. Four figures and a cast-iron ID on the perpetrator just doesn't register. Been there.

Another thing the OP absolutely mustn't do is have anything to do with CIFAS. In principle, if you believe you are at risk of identity theft, you can put a 'protective registration' on your name and address, which means a lender should take extra care to check that you are who you say you are. In practice, every credit application that you or anyone else at you address makes will be turned down. They're not supposed to do that, but they don't have the manpower to check and it's simpler for them just to say no.

you can put a 'protective registration' on your name and address

Didn't know that! Something to look into and research a bit more...