Blocked external drain - who's responsible?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

The external drain which deals with waste from the kitchen is totally blocked and flooding our front garden.

My husband attempted to clear it by putting rods down but cannot open to cover as a key is needed.

The Landlord doesn't have anything to open it and informed us that as he's away on business we'll have to sort this ourselves!

I'm far from happy about this as I don't believe it to be our responsibility as it's an external drain plus we cannot afford to get anyone out to clear it for us.

It is really badly blocked, any water going down the sink or from the washing machine is flooding straight onto the path and quite frankly I'm sick of my kids having to wade through it everyday dragging all sorts of mess into the house with them.

We live in a detached house and the drain isn't shared with anyone else.

Any advice appreciated

Lisa

Check your tenancy agreement I think as the drain up to know has been running free that its probably your kitchen waste grease fat etc that's blocked it so unless you can prove otherwise collapsed drain or neighbours problem then it's down to you.

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem caused through fat and debris as I have strainers on the plugholes to catch waste and I've poured gallons of boiling water straight down the external drain with caustic soda and it backs up straight away as if something solid is blocking it. I don't have any drainage issues with the internal pipes.

Just a thought, we had the cavity wall insulation done last week and it's been since then that it's got bad, they made a real mess leaving loads of debris over the garden, mainly bits of insulation, but in all fairness it had snowed that day so it was hard to see. Maybe that's what's blocking the drain, responsibilities for which would lie with the insulation company, but how to prove?

I think your trying to pass the buck. It's your drain on the property you rent, you have used it, you said nobody else uses it, you should clear it.

And a strainer would not stop fat. Fat liquifies then resets in the drain and over time 1 bit sticks to the next until it forms a one huge solid mass.

Just buy the key and rod it again. Job done.

Hi

Just a question are their any large trees near the area of the drain and trees are notorious for their roots damaging drains?

You would need to prove either way whether the drain is simply just blocked and needs clearing or if the drain is collapsed/damaged by tree root etc.

If it is simply blocked then I agree you would have to resolve but if drain is collapsed/ damaged by tree roots etc then IMO that would be the landlord responsibility.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hot water & caustic soda will not clear soap powder & grease build up, only drain rods, pref with metal screw attachment on end. Soap powder & nappies/kitchen towel/sanitary towels are the usual cause of blocked underground pipes.

Alt it could just be the external sink U bend that is blocked with gravel & rotted leaves, esp in wintertime. Ask hubby to remove the kitchen sink grid, stick his hand down and scoop out any debris from the water trap (U bend) Also invest in manhole cover key and rod the pipes in both directions.

I then flush with large volume of water or use a long plastic garden hose attached to outside tap and fed along the pipes.

No need to employ prof pressure jetting Co's, thanks to my inheriting Dad's rods.

How long have you rented the property?

• 3 weeks later...