• Tweets

• Hi. I've moved your thread to the Residential and Commercial lettings forum. People should be along to advise later. HB
    • Ah I never even considered it, odd f9r me because im Tech savvy. Had a look and sure enough its all there in my google timeline. Perfect. 
    • is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome Finance any dealings???

falcon185
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Explanatory Notes to Consumer Credit Act 2006 2006 Chapter 14

© Crown Copyright 2006

Explanatory Notes to Acts of the UK Parliament are subject to Crown Copyright protection. They may be reproduced free of charge provided that they are reproduced accurately and that the source and copyright status of the material is made evident to users.

It should be noted that the right to reproduce the text of these Explanatory Notes does not extend to the Queen's Printer imprints which should be removed from any copies of the Explanatory Notes which are issued or made available to the public. This includes reproduction of the Notes on the internet and on intranet sites. The Royal Arms may be reproduced only where they are an integral part of the original document. The text of this internet version of the Explanatory Notes which is published by the Queen's Printer of Acts of Parliament has been prepared to reflect the text in printed form and as published by The Stationery Office Limited as the Consumer Credit Act 2006, ISBN 0106414069. The print version may be purchased by clicking here. Braille copies of the Explanatory Notes can also be purchased at the same price as the print edition by contacting TSO Customer Services on 0870 600 5522 or e-mail: [email protected].

Further information about the publication of legislation on this website can be found by referring to the

Frequently Asked Questions.

To ensure fast access over slow connections, large documents have been segmented into "chunks". Where you see a "continue" button at the bottom of the page of text, this indicates that there is another chunk of text available.

These notes refer to the Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c.14) which received Royal Assent on 30 March 2006

CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 2006

EXPLANATORY NOTES

INTRODUCTION

1. These explanatory notes relate to the Consumer Credit Act 2006, which received Royal Assent on 30 March 2006. They have been prepared by the Department of Trade and Industry ("DTI") in order to assist the reader in understanding the Act. They do not form part of the Act and have not been endorsed by Parliament.

2. The notes need to be read in conjunction with the Act. They are not, and are not meant to be, a comprehensive description of the Act. So where a section or part of a section does not seem to require any explanation or comment, none is given.

3. Because this Act covers several subject areas, each of the main areas is introduced and described separately in the commentary (although a short explanation of the background is given in paragraphs 5-7). Paragraph 8 gives a brief overview of the Act's structure.

SUMMARY

4. For the purposes of these notes the Consumer Credit Act 2006 will be referred to as "the 2006 Act". The 2006 Act principally amends the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the "1974 Act"), which is the statute governing the licensing of, and other controls on, traders concerned with the provision of credit or the supply of goods on hire or hire-purchase to individuals and with the regulation of transactions concerning that provision or that supply. The purpose of the 2006 Act is to reform the 1974 Act to:

• provide for the regulation of all consumer credit and consumer hire agreements subject to certain exemptions;

• make provision in relation to the licensing of providers of consumer credit and consumer hire and ancillary credit services and the functions and powers of OFT in relation to licensing;

• enable debtors to challenge unfair relationships with creditors; and

• provide for an Ombudsman scheme to hear complaints in relation to businesses licensed under the 1974 Act, as amended.

SHORT BACKGROUND

5. In July 2001, the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry announced a review of the 1974 Act. After a process of public consultation with interested parties on the effectiveness of the existing regulation of information disclosure, early settlement, unfair credit transactions, consumer credit licensing, the financial limit above which agreements are not regulated under the 1974 Act and consumer redress, there followed the publication of the White Paper "Fair, Clear and Competitive - The Consumer Credit Market in the 21st Century" in December 2003.

6. The review also considered the problem of over-indebtedness in the United Kingdom, and the ways in which government, working with industry and consumer representatives and advisers, can tackle this issue. This led to the publication of the joint DTI and Department for Work and Pensions paper "Tackling Over-indebtedness - Action Plan 2004".

7. The Government's responses to these consultations may be found at www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/consumer_finance.htm#review. In respect of the issues of pre-contractual disclosure, advertising and early settlement, the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Employment Relations, Competition and Consumers made the Consumer Credit (Advertisements) Regulations 2004, the Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004, the Consumer Credit (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2004 and the Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004 in June 2004, the Consumer Credit (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2004 in October 2004 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Electronic Communications) Order 2004 in December 2004. The remaining proposals for reform (relating to unfair credit relationships, consumer credit licensing, the financial limit and consumer redress) required primary legislation to amend the 1974 Act and other legislation and are dealt with in this 2006 Act.

THE ACT

8. The main areas covered by the 2006 Act are:

• the regulation of consumer credit agreements and consumer hire agreements;

• the provision of information to debtors and hirers after the agreement is made;

• unfair relationships between debtors and creditors;

• the licensing of consumer credit and hire businesses and ancillary credit businesses;

• the powers of OFT in relation to the licensing of consumer credit and hire businesses and ancillary credit businesses;

• appeals from decisions of OFT in relation to the licensing of consumer credit and hire businesses and ancillary credit businesses; and

• the extension of the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service established under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.

9. In addition to amending the 1974 Act, the 2006 Act amends:

• the Sheriff Courts (Scotland) Act 1971 and the Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980 to allow the lay representation of debtors or hirers in applications relating to time orders in Scotland;

• the Bankruptcy (Scotland) Act 1985, the Insolvency Act 1986 and the Insolvency (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 as a consequence of the provisions in the 2006 Act dealing with unfair relationships;

• the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 as a consequence of the provisions in the 2006 Act concerning powers of OFT in relation to entry into premises;

• the Tribunals and Inquiries Act 1992 as a consequence of the provisions in the 2006 Act concerning the establishment of the Consumer Credit Appeals Tribunal; and

• the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 as a consequence of the extension of the jurisdiction of the Financial Ombudsman Service.

10. The 2006 Act has no freestanding parts, apart from the transitional and other supplementary provisions in sections 66-71. All the substantive provisions are amendments to the 1974 Act and the other Acts mentioned above.

INTERPRETATION

11. The 1974 Act sets out a framework for the regulation of the supply of consumer credit and the hiring of goods in the United Kingdom and provides that a licence under the Act is necessary to carry on a consumer credit business, a consumer hire business and an ancillary credit business (for definitions of these terms, please see paragraph 14 below). The 1974 Act regulates the supply of credit and the hiring of goods throughout the United Kingdom to "individuals" (which includes natural persons, unincorporated associations and partnerships of any size) where the credit provided or payments for hire do not exceed a specified limit (currently £25,000).

12. The 1974 Act imposes a system of trading control through regulating the general business activities of those traders that constitute the consumer credit and hire industry and it does this by licensing (Part 3 of the 1974 Act) and controlling the methods of seeking business (Part 4 of the 1974 Act). Control over agreements is done through the regulation of individual consumer credit or consumer hire agreements, that is entry into agreements (Part 5 of the 1974 Act), matters arising during the currency of agreements (Part 6 of the 1974 Act) and default under and termination of agreements generally (Part 7 of the 1974 Act).

13. The 1974 Act also regulates the giving of security in relation to agreements regulated under the Act and pawn broking (Part 8) and the licensing of ancillary credit businesses (Part 10).

14. These explanatory notes use key terms defined in the 1974 Act, as set out below, as well as, for convenience, certain abbreviated terms (which are marked with an asterisk). Where the term is one used in the 1974 Act and the 2006 Act amends it, the definition below is that used in and for the purposes of the 1974 Act prior to such amendment.

• 1974 Act: Consumer Credit Act 1974. *

• 2006 Act: Consumer Credit Act 2006.*

• ancillary credit business: any business so far as it comprises or relates to credit brokerage, debt-adjusting, debt counselling, debt collecting or the operation of a credit reference agency.

• commencement: the date or dates on which a provision of the 2006 Act commences (whether for all or specific purposes) in accordance with an order made by the Secretary of State under Section 71. *

• consumer credit agreement: an agreement between an individual (the "debtor") and any other person (the "creditor") by which the creditor provides the debtor with credit not exceeding £25,000.

• consumer credit business: any business so far as it comprises or relates to the provision of credit under regulated consumer credit agreements.

• consumer hire agreement: an agreement made by a person with an individual (the "hirer") for the bailment or (in Scotland) the hiring of goods to the hirer, being an agreement which is not a hire-purchase agreement, is capable of subsisting for more than three months and does not require the hirer to make payments exceeding £25,000.

• consumer hire business: any business so far as it comprises or relates to the bailment or (in Scotland) the hiring of goods under regulated consumer hire agreements.

• exempt agreement: a consumer credit or hire agreement which is not a regulated agreement under the 1974 Act by virtue of an exemption by or under section 16 of the 1974 Act.

• FOS: the Financial Ombudsman Service. *

• FSA: the Financial Services Authority. *

• FSMA: Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. *

• fixed-sum credit: any facility under a credit agreement, other than running account credit, whereby the debtor is enabled to receive credit (whether in one amount or by instalments).

• group licence: a licence, issued by OFT (whether on an application by a person or on OFT's own motion), which during such period as OFT thinks fit or, if it thinks fit, indefinitely, covers such persons and activities as are described in the licence.

• individual: includes a partnership or any other unincorporated body of persons not consisting entirely of bodies corporate.

• licence: a licence issued by OFT under the 1974 Act to carry on a consumer credit business, a consumer hire business or an ancillary credit business.

• OFT: the Office of Fair Trading.

• regulated agreement: a consumer credit or consumer hire agreement regulated by the 1974 Act.

• running-account credit: a facility under a credit agreement whereby the debtor is enabled to receive from time to time (whether in his own person, or by another person) from the creditor or a third party, cash, good and services (or any of them) to an amount or value such that, taking into account payments made by or to the credit of the debtor, the credit limit (if any) is not exceeded (e.g. a credit card).

• standard licence: a licence issued by OFT to a person named in the licence on an application made by that person, which, during the period of the licence's duration, covers such activities as are described in the licence.

COMMENTARY ON SECTIONS

AGREEMENTS REGULATED UNDER THE 1974 ACT

Section 1: Definition of "individual"

• 15. Section 1 amends section 189(1) of the 1974 Act to provide a new definition of "individual". This restricts the partnerships that are to be regarded as "individuals" to those consisting of two or three partners, not all of whom are bodies corporate. This means that in future borrowing or hire by partnerships of more than three members will not be covered by the 1974 Act, i.e. these partnerships will be treated in the same way as bodies corporate.

Section 2: Removal of financial limits etc.

16. Section 2 removes the financial limit for the regulation of consumer credit and consumer hire agreements under the 1974 Act. The 1974 Act currently applies only to agreements where credit provided or the hire payments to be made do not exceed £25,000. In future, all consumer credit and consumer hire agreements will be regulated by the 1974 Act unless specifically exempted, regardless of the amount of the credit or the amount of the hire payments. Section 2(3) extends the application of the provisions regulating credit advertisements to advertisements offering credit regardless of the sum involved, and regardless of whether the creditor requires security.

Section 3: Exemption relating to high net worth debtors and hirers

17. Section 3 inserts a new section 16A after section 16 of the 1974 Act. Section 16A gives the Secretary of State power by order to provide for the exemption of consumer credit agreements or consumer hire agreements from regulation under the 1974 Act where the debtor or hirer has a "high net worth". The provisions relating to unfair relationships will continue to apply to such agreements (i.e. the new sections 140A to 140C, inserted by sections 19-22 (see below)), as will the existing provisions relating to extortionate credit bargains (i.e. sections 137-140) to the extent they continue to have effect after commencement of new sections 140A-140C (see the note in respect of Schedule 3 below) if, for example, the high net worth exemption comes into force before the unfair relationships provisions.

18. In order that an agreement may be exempted under section 16A, the debtor or hirer must be a natural person (i.e. not a partnership, unincorporated association or body corporate) and it must include a declaration, in the specified form, that the debtor or hirer agrees to forgo the protection and remedies that would be available under the 1974 Act if the agreement were a regulated agreement. The debtor or hirer must also provide the creditor or owner with a statement of "high net worth", again in the specified form, which has been made in relation to him by a specified type of person (e.g. an accountant or a solicitor). "Specified" in this case means specified by order of the Secretary of State.

19. A statement of "high net worth" must be current in relation to the agreement, i.e. made no more than one year before the date of the making of the agreement. The statement should state that the debtor or hirer, in respect of the previous financial year (being the year ending 31st March preceding the current financial year in which the statement is made), either:

• received income of a specified description of the specified amount or more during that period; or

• had net assets of a specified description which were of a value not less than the specified amount during the whole of that period.

"Specified" in this case means specified by order of the Secretary of State.

Section 4: Exemption relating to businesses

20. Section 4 inserts a new section 16B before section 17 of the 1974 Act. Section 16B exempts from regulation those consumer credit and hire agreements entered into wholly or predominantly for the debtor's or hirer's business purposes where the credit provided or hire payments to be made exceed £25,000, although the provisions relating to unfair relationships will continue to apply (i.e. the new sections 140A to 140C inserted by sections 19-22 (see below)) as will the existing provisions relating to extortionate credit bargains (i.e. sections 137-140 of the 1974 Act) as they will in relation to section 16A (see the notes in respect of Schedule 3 below).

21. Whether an agreement is for a business purpose will depend on the circumstances of the proposed transaction. A credit or hire agreement will be presumed to be wholly or predominantly for business purposes where it includes a declaration by the debtor or hirer to that effect, unless at the time the agreement was made, the creditor or owner, or any person who has acted on his behalf in connection with the entering into of the agreement, knows or has reasonable cause to suspect that the declaration is not true.

Section 5: Consequential amendments relating to ss. 1 to 4

22. Section 5 provides for amendments to the 1974 Act arising as a consequence of sections 1 to 4. Section 5(7) provides that the Secretary of State has power by order to alter the amount of £25,000 under the new section 16B inserted in the 1974 Act by section 4 of the 2006 Act. That power is subject to the affirmative resolution procedure.

STATEMENTS TO BE PROVIDED IN RELATION TO REGULATED AGREEMENTS

Section 6: Statements to be provided in relation to fixed-sum credit agreements

23 Section 6 inserts a new section 77A after section 77 of the 1974 Act. Section 77A will require creditors in regulated fixed-sum credit agreements to provide debtors with annual statements in the specified form, the first of which is required within one year of the day after the date on which the agreement was made.

24. If a creditor does not give the debtor an annual statement when required to do so, then he is not entitled to enforce the agreement during the period of his non-compliance and the debtor is not liable to pay any interest during this period. The debtor is also not liable to pay any default sum (see note in respect of section 18 below) that would have become payable during the period of non-compliance or would have become payable after the end of that period in connection with a breach of the agreement occurring during that period. A creditor will not be required to give the debtor an annual statement if there are no further sums payable under the agreement.

Section 7: Further provision relating to statements

25. Section 7 inserts a new section 78(4A) after section 78(4) of the 1974 Act. Section 78(4) of the 1974 Act requires creditors to issue statements to debtors setting out specified information in respect of running account credit agreements at intervals of not more than 12 months. Regulations made by the Secretary of State under the new section 78(4A) may require creditors to include specified information about the consequence of failing to make repayments, or only making minimum repayments, in statements issued under section 78(4) of the 1974 Act. The new subsection (3) makes provision for the giving of statements under sections 77A (inserted by section 6 of the 2006 Act) and 78(4) of the 1974 Act where there is more than one debtor to whom credit is provided. If there are two or more debtors, a debtor may provide a dispensing notice to the creditor so as to mean that the creditor is not obliged to provide a statement to that debtor. However, dispensing notices will not be effective if that would mean that no debtor will receive a statement under section 77A or 78.

DEFAULT UNDER REGULATED AGREEMENTS

Section 8: OFT to prepare information sheets on arrears and default

26. Section 8 inserts a new section 86A at the beginning of Part 7 of the 1974 Act. Section 86A requires OFT to prepare and publish information sheets for debtors and hirers about arrears and default. A creditor or owner must give a debtor or hirer an arrears information sheet at the same time as a notice of sums in arrears in accordance with new sections 86B and 86C inserted by sections 9 and 10 (see below) and a default information sheet at the same time as a default notice (in accordance with section 87 of the 1974 Act).

27. The information sheets will set out information to help debtors and hirers who are in arrears or default (e.g. information about the legal consequences of the debtor's or hirer's general situation, debt management options and the contact details of advice providers).

Section 9: Notice of sums in arrears under fixed-sum credit agreements etc.

28. Section 9 inserts a new section 86B after the new section 86A (inserted into the 1974 Act by section 8). Section 86B provides that creditors and owners must give to debtors and hirers notices of sums in arrears in respect of regulated agreements that are fixed sum credit agreements or hire agreements. A creditor or owner must give a notice in the specified form, including an arrears information sheet, to a debtor or hirer 14 days after a point in time where:

• the debtor or hirer is required to have made two (in the case of agreements with a repayment interval of more than one week) or four (in the case of agreements with a repayment interval of one week or less) payments under the agreement before that time;

• the total sum that has been paid by the debtor or hirer under the agreement up to that time is less than the amount that he is required to have paid at that time;

• the amount of the debtor's or hirer's shortfall is no less than the total of the last two (in the case of agreements with a repayment interval of more than one week) or four (in the case of agreements with a repayment interval of one week or less) payments required to have been paid under the agreement before that time subject as set out below;

• the creditor or owner is not already required to provide the debtor or hirer with a notice of sums in arrears in relation to that agreement; and

• there is no sum payable by the debtor or hirer under a judgment given before that time in relation to the credit or hire agreement.

Thereafter the creditor or owner will be required to give to the debtor or hirer a notice of sums in arrears at intervals of six months until he ceases to be in arrears and has paid all sums of interest or default sums that are payable in relation to his arrears, or a judgment is made in relation to the sums payable under that agreement.

29. In the case of agreements with repayment intervals of one week or less made more than 20 weeks before the day on which the debtor or hirer is required to have made the most recent payment under the agreement, the amount of the debtor's or hirer's shortfall is calculated on the basis only of payments missed in the period of 20 weeks ending with that day.

Section 10: Notice of sums in arrears under running-account credit agreements

30. Section 10 inserts a new section 86C after the new section 86B inserted into the 1974 Act by section 9 of the 2006 Act. Section 86C requires that a creditor must give to the debtor notices of sums in arrears in respect of regulated agreements that are running account agreements. A creditor must give to a debtor a notice in the specified form, including an arrears information sheet after a point in time where:

• the debtor should have made at least two repayments before that time;

• the last two payments required before that time have not been made;

• the creditor has not already been required to provide the debtor with a notice of sums in arrears in relation to either of those payments; and

• there is no sum payable by the debtor under a judgment given before the time in relation to the credit agreement.

31. The creditor must give the notice at a time no later than the time that he is required to give the debtor the next regular statement due under section 78(4) of the 1974 Act.

Section 11: Failure to give notice of sums in arrears

32. Section 11 inserts a new section 86D after the new section 86C (inserted into the 1974 Act by section 10). Section 86D sets out the consequences for a creditor or owner if he fails to give a notice as required by sections 86B or 86C. If the creditor or owner fails to provide a notice of sums in arrears when required to do so, then during the period of his failure to provide the notice (i.e. from the date that it was required to be given until the end of the day on which it is eventually provided), he is not entitled to enforce the agreement. In addition, the debtor or hirer is not liable to pay any interest that relates to the period of the creditor or owner's failure, nor is the debtor or hirer liable to pay any default sum (see the notes in respect of section 18 below) which becomes payable during that period.

Section 12: Notice of default sums

33. Section 12 inserts a new section 86E after the new section 86D (inserted into the 1974 Act by section 11). Section 86E applies to situations where a debtor or hirer under a regulated agreement incurs a default sum (as defined by section 18). A creditor or owner must give the debtor or hirer a notice in the specified form when a default sum becomes payable as a consequence of a breach of the agreement. The Secretary of State has the power to provide that this only applies where the default sum exceeds a specified amount.

34. A creditor or owner may only require a debtor or hirer to pay interest in connection with a default sum 28 days after the day the notice was given to the debtor or hirer. If the creditor or owner fails to give a notice to the debtor or hirer then he is not entitled to enforce the agreement until he gives the notice to the debtor or hirer.

Section 13: Interest on default sums

35. Section 13 inserts a new section 86F after the new section 86E (inserted into the 1974 Act by section 12). Section 86F provides that a creditor or owner may only require simple interest to be paid in respect of default sums (see notes in respect of section 18 below) payable by the debtor or hirer, including sums payable under non-commercial or small agreements (see definitions in section 189(1) of the 1974 Act).

nav-conu.gif

nav-tta.gifOther Explanatory Notes | Home | Her Majesty's Stationery OfficeWe welcome your comments on this site© Crown Copyright 2006Prepared: 5 April 2006

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

everyone is entitled to MY opinion!:D

I offer my comments without prejudice or liability.

If you found my advice helpful, please click the scales at the top.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting but not relevant to any prior agreements

Most peoples agreements are still regulated by the 1974 act (with ammendments)

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Precisely what I was trying to say in my previous post above the new Act Dave :-D

Barry

Friendship costs nothing but its rewards can be priceless. Do not judge, as you will not be judged but if you can, try and assist where possible.:smile:

oops...apologies :o

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Tanz I would agree so long as no action has been taken to recover PPI prior to 6th Apr 2006, which is when the new Act became law, any claims started prior to that would still come under the 1974 act with ammendments. So if you havent started action prior to that date, now is the time to do it. :-D

Barry

I've had enough of Welcome now. The following letter has been sent to them:

"Dear xxxxxx

Account Number xxxxxx

I refer to my previous correspondence in relation to the hire purchase agreement.

Firstly, your refusal to reply to any of my correspondence is frustrating, not least because of the fact that you have failed to forward a copy of the agreement signed by myself and Mr xxxxxx on or around 30 April 2003.

Your failure to do so leaves it open to interpretation that you are unable to provide a copy of the agreement. In those circumstances, the agreement is unenforceable and no further payments will be made to you in relation to it. Furthermore, we are now in a position where we are able to commence proceedings against Welcome Financial Services Limited for the refund of sums paid under the agreement.

Section 63 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (“the Act”) refers. On the occasion when an agreement is signed, a copy of the executed agreement should have been given to both myself and Mr xxxxxx (or within seven days of signing). The agreement is therefore not properly executed because Welcome Financial Services Limited have not observed the requirements of Section 63 of the Act.

As a consequence, you must apply to the Court for an Order to enforce the agreement pursuant to Section 65(1) of the Act.

In the alternative, Section 82 of the Act refers. The agreement signed by us on or around April 2003 purported to be a modifying agreement, revoking the earlier agreement made in July 2002, and is therefore deemed to be a regulated agreement.

You may wish to maintain that the agreement is proper and that the Default Notice served on 5 April 2006 is valid. Should you choose to defend any proceedings on that basis, it is our intention to make a counterclaim against you claiming that the Default Notice is invalid on the following basis:

1. The Default Notice has been served in the name of “Welcome Finance Limited”. At no time have either myself or Mr xxxxxx signed an agreement with this company.

2. Neither myself nor Mr xxxxxx been served with a notice assigning the debt from Welcome Financial Services Limited to Welcome Finance Limited.

3. Welcome Finance Limited is not a trading style of Welcome Financial Services Limited. Welcome Finance Limited is a company in its own right and the name cannot be used as a trading style of another company.

4. Welcome Finance Limited is a dormant company and filed its last annual return and accounts as a dormant company. Dormant companies have no assets or liabilities and therefore cannot be owed anything by anyone.

On this basis, notwithstanding that the agreement between us and Welcome Financial Services Limited has not been properly executed, there has been no valid notice of default served on either myself or Mr xxxxxx and we repeat that we are entitled to seek voluntary termination of the agreement pursuant to Section 99 of the Act.

You will be aware that you are not entitled to repossess the vehicle which is the subject of the agreement without applying to the Court for an Order in circumstances where the Default Notice is invalid.

However, In circumstances where we are entitled to terminate the agreement on a voluntary basis, and in circumstances where you have failed to provide us with a copy of the agreement, notwithstanding that you may seek to defend any claim brought against you on the basis that there is an outstanding debt due pursuant to the agreement, it is our contention that:

1. the agreement between us is now terminated; and

2. no further sums are due under the agreement.

In the circumstances, title of the vehicle has passed from Welcome Financial Services Limited to us. You are not entitled to repossession of the vehicle, nor are you entitled to seek recovery of any sums allegedly outstanding pursuant to the agreement. Any recovery action taken by yourselves will be vigorously defended and, accordingly, we reserve our right to produce a copy of this letter to the Court in the event that you do proceed with recovery action on the question of costs.

Yours faithfully"

Stick that in their pipe and see what happens!

just googles welcome finance watchdog and found this snippet of information.

Thursday 8th of March 2007

Hi i work for a financial watchdog service an welcome finance are the in the top 5 of our complantes department in my few these people are legalised robbers an hopefully in the very soon when we have gatherd enough evidance against them we will show our findings to the fsa an get this company to the courts where the belong thay pray on people like fultures NEVER TAKE ANYTHING OF THESE PEOPLE

interseting

lets hope its true

" Where can i obtain the information about the dormant company.

and Thanks mine is the same can a MOD check the info for us and let us know if this hold water!

SBFIDO

Accredited Member of the CIEH

No more will I be bullied or harassed.

When informed that the call is recorded for training and monitoring I always say I don't want it used for training. :razz:

I always ask for the ICO registration information - they often dont have it, shame i never discuss my personal data unless I know they comply with the DPA.

Finally I always record calls and state at the start of there call. Although I don't have too.

" Where can i obtain the information about the dormant company.

and Thanks mine is the same can a MOD check the info for us and let us know if this hold water!

I work for a firm of solicitors as assistant to a partner in the commercial litigation department with access to the Companies House Website, I'll try to post some details of "Welcome Finance Limited" which is the dormant company.

EDIT: I should add that I asked two company commercial solicitors in the firm that I work for who gave me informal advice without looking at any documentation to the effect that:

1. A company serving a default notice has to be the company that you signed the agreement with unless the debt has been formally assigned to the company who served the default notice. Anyone who owes a debt to "Company 1" and has had a default notice served on them by "Company 2" should have been served first with a notice of assignment to confirm that the debt owed to "Company 1" is now owed to "Company 2".

2. A dormant company is just that - dormant. It has no assets or liabilities and cannot make demands for payment.

3. A company that is a limited company cannot have its name used as a trading style of another company. Therefore, you cannot have "Welcome Financial Service Limited trading as Welcome Finance Limited" or "Welcome Finance Limited is a trading style of Welcome Financial Services Limited". I have seen "Welcome Car Finance is a trading style of Welcome Financial Services Limited" - this is allowed.

Company No.: 04571109

Name and Registered Office:

WELCOME FINANCE LIMITED

KINGSTON HOUSE

CENTRE 27 BUSINESS PARK

WOODHEAD ROAD

BATLEY

WEST YORKSHIRE

WF17 9TD

Date of Incorporation: 23/10/2002

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature Of Business (SIC(03)):7499 - Non-trading company

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2005 (DORMANT)

Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2007

Last Return Made Up To: 23/10/2006

Next Return Due: 20/11/2007

Mortgage:

Number of Charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )

Last members list: 23/10/2006

Previous Names

Date of Change: 03/12/2002

Previous Name: FLOWING WATER LIMITED

______

The company has filed three sets of accounts since it was incorporated - all returns have been filed as being a dormant company.

I did raise this point some time ago, but it may have slipped our minds!!!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/37780-welcome-finance-any-dealings-27.html?highlight=smoothy#post511328

Is this part of the problem or solution...you decide!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read throught the

FAQ's and when your ready, start a thread in your banks forum to keep us all updated!

If the information I have provided is useful, please click the scales!

I think the key to any claim by us against Welcome is the company registered number - that can never change.

A company name can be changed but that does not alter any alleged debt owed to that company until and unless you are served with a Notice of Assignment formally assigning the debt from one company to another.

If there is no Notice of Assignment, then you issue your claim against the new company name and there is no need to reference the fact that the company has changed its name.

FYI - company registered numbers:

Welcome Finance Limited: 04571109

Welcome Financial Services Limited: 00133540

Progressive Financial Services Limited: 01682540

Cattles plc: 00543610

Shopacheck Financial Services Limited: 00274611

Dial4aloan Limited: 03958533

All these companies have their registered office address at Kingston House.

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read my own post and it didn't make sense!

1. Locate the company registered number on your copy of the agreement.

2. Reference that number with the above list.

3. Start your claim against the appropriate company - always use their registered office address if you live in England/Wales.

If there are any other company registered numbers you would like added to the list, let me know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read throught the

FAQ's and when your ready, start a thread in your banks forum to keep us all updated!

If the information I have provided is useful, please click the scales!

I think the key to any claim by us against Welcome is the company registered number - that can never change.

A company name can be changed but that does not alter any alleged debt owed to that company until and unless you are served with a Notice of Assignment formally assigning the debt from one company to another.

If there is no Notice of Assignment, then you issue your claim against the new company name and there is no need to reference the fact that the company has changed its name.

All these companies have their registered office address at Kingston House.

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read my own post and it didn't make sense!

1. Locate the company registered number on your copy of the agreement.

2. Reference that number with the above list.

3. Start your claim against the appropriate company - always use their registered office address if you live in England/Wales.

If there are any other company registered numbers you would like added to the list, let me know.

The credit agreement is not welcomes own HP agreement but the associates - although welcome have registered the debt it is actually an associates corporation plc debt. I have not recived any deed of assignment and none is in my DSAR. now that puts a total different spin on this wheel i think. Does that mean welcome have no claim on this and they have effectively stolen my car!!!!!!

Your Thoughts please?

SBFIDO

When informed that the call is recorded for training and monitoring I always say I don't want it used for training. :razz:

I always ask for the ICO registration information - they often dont have it, shame i never discuss my personal data unless I know they comply with the DPA.

Finally I always record calls and state at the start of there call. Although I don't have too.

The Associates Capital Corporation PLC 1375237

Registered office 87 Castle Street Reading, Berkshire, RG1 7DX

Another one!

All these companies in red have their registered office address at Kingston House.

SBFIDO

Dispute this information with the Credit reference agency and point out you have not had an account with them, you will get a standard reply, ask them to verify the agreement.

You could also CCA Progressive financial services.

Hi all,

trying to sort out my credit file. Noticed my welcome default was issued by Progressive Financial Services. Is this acceptable as I have never had a relatiionshiip with them?

SBFIDO

Make sure that you inform the CRA that they have not provided the information and that you will be reporting the breach to the FSA and information commisioner, Follow the complaint through don't make empty threats,

There is a long wait for a response though. so many people are claiming now days (lol)

:D

SBFIDO

Somewhere in this thread is the information that Progressive Financial Services Limited changed its name from Welcome Financial Services Limited on 1 December 2006 - and vice versa.

As far as I am aware, The Associates has nothing to do with Welcome but does share the same registered office address in Reading as CitiFinancial Europe plc, Future Mortgages, Avco Trust, Praxis Mortgages - the list seems endless if you Google "87 Castle Street Reading"

I guess on the face of it we should all be pursuing "Progressive Financial Services Limited" and not "Welcome Financial Services Limited" for disputes that arose before 1 December 2006 - technically it's a change of name - the company registered number didn't change - I'm also guessing nobody has received notice of their debt being assigned from one company to the other.

This is another matter for the regulatory bodies - I would call the simultaneous change of company names very misleading - as ordinary Joe Public would still assume they are dealing with "Welcome Financial Services Limited" ...

Give me a minute and I'll check the company records

EDIT: Have spent £4 on ordering the filed documents for company number 01682540 dating back to 1 January 2003 - will have a look at them tomorrow and will report back specifically on the change of name and the resolution passed by the company on 24 November 2006..

Cheers -

So if they have no connection with the Associates how can they pursue this debt!!!!!!!

Also how can they justify registering 3 defaults. (1 only remains)

mmmm

SBFIDO

The documents downloaded sooner than I thought - here's the wording of the resolution:

Company Number 01682540

The Companies Acts 1985-1989

Company Limited By Shares

Written Resolution Of Welcome Financial Services Limited (the Company)

We being all the members of the Company entitled to receive notice and attend and vote at general meetings of the Company UNANIMOUSLY PASS the following written resolution of the Company pursuant to section 381A of the Companies Act 1985:

SPECIAL RESOLUTION

THAT:

1. the name of the Company be changed to Progressive Financial Services Limited.

It was signed on 24 November 2006 by two people - one illegible signature signed "for and on behalf of Cattles plc" and the other person signed by RCW Todd "for and on behalf of Cattles Holdings Securities Limited".

I cannot see in this document any assignment of liabilities to the company formerly known as Progressive (now known as Welcome) - all I see is a change of name.

Shares held in the "new" Progressive company held by:

800,025,154 ordinary shares by Cattles Holdings Limited

20,000 ordinary shares by Cattles Holdings Securities Limited

15,000,000 A preference shares by Progressive Finance Company Limited

20,000 redeemable preference shares by Cattles Holdings Securities Limited

I don't know about the different classes of shares but I can ask tomorrow at work.