grievance raised

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I raised a formal grievance yesterday by e-mail to my boss he replied cc'ing one of the employees I had raised the grievance against.

A couple of hours later i was called to his office and put on paid leave is it usual to be put on paid leave for raising a grievance.

I was not expecting this and it has made me feel worse.

The grievance is in relation to the behaviours of two people above me who have taken away my autonmy and made me to feel inadeqate and undermined my confidence.

I brought this to my bosses attention before i went on holiday since my return two weeks ago it has continued with my access rights being removed for software that i have managed since 2009 with no reason.

thanks for reading

was there a question that you needed answering?

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Yes, its unusual, but there is nothing wrong with it.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Candy42,

It is certainly not good practice to cc one of the people you have complained about into an email response from your manager. This is I suspect a deliberate act to intimidate you, though not sure if he has actually broken any rules here.

Suspension in legal terms is seen as a neutral act to allow the employer to investigate an allegation with the employee making the complaint interfering. However I have not heard of an employee being suspended following the submission of a formal grievance. What reason was given for your suspension?

So you have raised the matter informally with your manager before going on annual leave, but it seems nothing has been done about the situation and the bad behaviour has continued. In my humble opinion you were therefore left with no alternative but to raise a formal grievance as you did.

I have been through what you are now experiencing although I was not suspended after submitting the grievance and the feelings you are experiencing are completely normal. My grievance was against my line manager for the same reasons as yours, creating feelings of inadequacy and undermining your confidence.

It sounds to me as though these two characters are intimidated and feel threatened by you and thus why they react by belittling and undermining you. Your manager I suspect is well aware of these two characters and will have had issues with them before, but basically does not want to be bothered investigating or taking action against them. I strongly suspect you will find others have had problems with and complained against these two in the past.

Although unpleasant and unexpected, I suggest you use your period of paid leave to put down in writing all the problems you have had with these two characters. Be as specific as possible with dates, times, who said what, any witnesses. Your manager should be writing to you shortly inviting you to a grievance hearing and this will be your opportunity to put across your grievance, so be prepared.

The other thing I would strongly recommend is that you arrange for a colleague, or union member if you have one to attend the grievance hearing with you to make notes of what is discussed.

Also keep reminding yourself that you have done nothing wrong here. In fact you gave your manager the opportunity to deal with these two characters informally and he apparently has done nothing. Therefore you have been left with no alternative but to submit a formal grievance. You are doing the right thing by standing up to these bullies and although they will never admit it, I suspect many of your colleagues will be glad you are taking the action they have never had the confidence to take.

Stay strong and continue to make use of this excellent forum. There are some fantastic people here who are only too willing to help when they can and I know there is no way I could have coped through my ordeal without them.

Good luck

DJ

Thank you for the replies.

I do not think i'm suspended, he stated that he had received my letter andthere was a lot to look into and that as I had stated it was making mephysically ill he was putting me on immediate paid leave.

Staffs are being told I’m off ill by the hr advisor.

I have suffered from stress in the past and have had cognitive behaviouraltherapy to help me cope when I have episodes which have really helped me tostay of medication but yesterday just threw me and this morning has been terrible,haven’t felt like this for over 12 months.

Thanks DJ its good to have support i see you have really been through the wringer i spent the weekend reading through the threads and i can see you have had a real fight on your hands. I have taken copies of e-mails and documents to back up my allegations.

Candy42,

It has been a rough ride for me and I very nearly pulled out of the game a couple of weeks ago it was having such an effect on me. Luckily though some of the people on here helped and supported me through my period of crisis and I am back fighting fit and ready for them. For me personally this is a fight I must see through to the end in order to get some type of closure and move on regardless of the outcome. If I did not see it through to the end, I would always be left with a feeling I had dropped out without getting closure and it had all been for nothing.

Glad to hear you have kept copies of emails etc to support your case. I suggest you get onto arranging for someone to attend the grievance hearing with you as it is very difficult to remember everything that was said after the event if you were there alone.

Stay strong.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

The question is can I resign and claim constructive dismissal will it harmme that i have not waited for the employer to respond?

Raised a grievance on 05/11/12, was sent home on paid leave. There has beenno contact with my employer since.

Acas code says that there should be a meeting arranged within 5 working daysit is now 8 days.

The complaint is about bullying and has had an effect on my health I don’t believeI can go back as it is making me ill my doctor has stated acute stress andplaced me on sleeping tablets.