style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have recently filled in an income and expenditure with a monthly repayment offer on a council tax arrears. Today received a letter stating they are not accepting my offer and to recalculate my i&E.

They state that music/dance lessons are not classed as essential (fair enough I can agree with that ) but they also state that childrens school uniform and childrens clothing are not classed as essential expenditure ! I'm sorry but I though clothing my children would be up there with one of the most essentials. Can anyone shed any light on this. Many thanks:|

children's clothing are listed as an essential from searching online (can't put site addy down here as automated abuse notice comes up but it is a typical-household-expenditure. pdf from a debt technical manual ) with the figures corresponding to each subject i.e. single retired will be the first figures in the list and so on down the line with the last figures for two adults and no children :

HOUSEHOLD EXPENDITURE

UPDATED JANUARY 2010 FROM OFFICE OF NATIONAL STATISTICS DATA FOR FAMILY EXPENDITURE 2008/2009

IMPORTANT NOTES

1) The figures in the table are average household spending in England for non-bankrupt households, which includes the use of credit.

2) Regional variations in some expediture categories must be considered and local knowledge applied where appropriate.

3) The figures are a guide to compare against the bankrupt's claim for a particular expense, not as an amount that can be automatically claimed.

4) Examiners should seek evidence where an amount claimed does not appear reasonable or fit the particular circumstances.

5) 'Other possible essential expenses' listed are those commonly claimed but evidence should be sought of actual expense.

6) Items listed as non-essential are those requiring closer examnination, but the list is not exhaustive.

7) Where available Examiners should compare alternative sources of declared expenditure such as debt management plans or IVA's.

8) The figures provided include expenditure on children where they are dependant members of the household.

9) Examiners should refer to Technical Manual chapter 31.7.18 to 31.7.38 for additonal guidance on allowable expenditure.

Categories of essential expenditure

Single retired adult

Single non-retired adult

Single adult with 2+ children

Two adults with 2 children

Two adults with no children

Mortgage payments or rent on your home

variable

variable

variable

variable

variable

Housekeeping, including food and cleaning

£181

£179

£329

£499

£383

Gas, electricity, other heating

£53

£68

£79

£82

£82

Water

£22

£28

£33

£34

£34

Telephone charges

£23

£34

£44

£55

£54

Travelling to and from work and other essential journeys (personal transport)

£31

£84

£57

£192

£171

Travelling to and from work and other essential journeys (public transport)

£11

£29

£20

£66

£58

Clothing

£31

£39

£111

£142

£111

Maintenance payments #1 and fines #2

Council tax #3

variable

variable

variable

variable

variable

#1 Formal arrangements only - calculated from net inc

It looks as if these could be monthly figures in some cases, such as water, telephone, utilities etc and some might be for quarterly, such as clothes, I think using one's discretion might be the way to go when putting down costs in respect of these but I do feel children's' clothes are essentials and suggest you write and query why they would feel otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lucky11