identity theft and a debt collection agency

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I'm completely new to this website but am seeking some advice.

In the early 2000's I received a series of threatening letters from a debt collection agency called 1st Credit alleging that I owed about £2.5k in relation to an Amex card. I have never had a credit card with Amex and made this clear to 1st Credit. The letters kept coming, threatening bankruptcy proceedings etc and it was becoming very stressful. I remember I had to report the "identity theft" to the police in order to get a crime reference number. When I attempted to do so the police informed me (quite rightly, I suppose) that I was not the victim of any crime, it was the credit card company which had been defrauded, so they were unable to give me a crime reference number.

Eventually 1st Credit only agreed to "suspend" the matter after I reluctantly gave them my date of birth and it became clear to them that they were dealing with the wrong person. Since then I've subsrcibed to a credit expert account with Experian in case something like that ever happened again.

This took place several years ago and I've moved house a couple of times in the meantime but unfortunately 1st Credit have reared their ugly heads again and written to me regarding a "personal matter" requesting that I call them quoting a reference number, at which point they will provide further information.

Of course I have no intention of contacting them but would be grateful for any advice on what to do (if anything). Thanks

As above.

It is very important that if push should come to shove, that you don't talk to them on the phone. If any communications must be entered into, only do it by letter.

Because they are just little chavs and obviously thicker than two short planks, (recruited from the 'doh' que at the job center).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. I have had another letter from them. It's the same matter they pestered me about 8 years ago, a fraudster seems to have applied for a credit card in my name and they are chasing me for the debt.

I have had a look at OFT guidance and it suggests that I should reply immediately to dispute the debt, and request that they provide proof in writing of it. It is extremely annoying to even have to dignify their letters with a response but this is what I'm planning to do.

I will point out that in the absence of proof I will consider any further letters from them to amount to harassment and will have no option but report them to the OFT.

Any other suggestions/recommendations? Cheers

Write to the debt companies compliance manager to ask them to work with the original creditor, as this account is fraudulent i.e it was never arranged by you and you have advised them of this before.

You can also report this to Action Fraud and advise them of the problem you are having. If they give you a log no. you can advise this to the DCA.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks. I have just reported such details as I can via the Action Fraud website, although based on the facts the web program does not consider me to have been the victim of any fraud. I have a reference number which I could quote to the DCA, but no promise that the matter will be investigated by the police.

I am not sure whether to bring up the previous correspondence when replying to these latest letters, as I did not keep any letters (it was, after all, 8 years ago and I thought they had given up pestering me). Most of the correspondence at the time was by telephone unfortunately, although I did get a solicitor to write to them on my behalf. Can't get hold of him for copies of any correspondence kept.

Part of me thinks that these muppets will only sit up and listen if I take a more hardline approach, i.e. the threat of complaints etc.