• Tweets

• I have contacted the sofa shop who are sending someone out tomorrow to inspect the furniture. I suspect if anything a replacement will be offered although I would prefer a refund. Few photos of the wear in the material, this is how it was delivered.  
    • Yup, for goodness sake she needs to stop paying right now, DCA's are powerless, as .  Is it showing on their credit file? Best to use Check my file. All of the above advice is excellent, definitely SAR the loan company as soon as possible.
    • Hi all, I am wandering if this is appealable. It has already been through a challenge on the Islington website and the it was rejected. Basically there was a suspended bay sign on a post on Gee st which was obscured by a Pizza van. The suspension was for 3 bays outside 47 Gee st. I parked outside/between 47 & 55 Gee st. I paid via the phone system using a sign a few meters away from my car. When I got back to the car there was a PCN stuck to the windscreen which I had to dry out before I could read it due to rain getting into the plastic sticky holder.  I then appealed using the Islington website which was then rejected the next day. I have attached a pdf of images that I took and also which the parking officer took. There are two spaces in front of the van, one of which had a generator on it the other was a disabled space. I would count those as 3 bays? In the first image circled in red is the parking sign I read. In the 2nd image is the suspension notice obscured by the van. I would have had to stand in the middle of the road to read this, in fact that's where I was standing when I took the photo. I have pasted the appeal and rejection below. Many thanks for looking. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This is my appeal statement: As you can see from the image attached (image 1) I actually paid £18.50 to park my car in Gee st. I parked the car at what I thought was outside 55 Gee st as seen in image 2 attached. When I read the PCN issued it stated there was a parking suspension. There was no suspension notice on the sign that I used to call the payment service outside number 55 Gee st. I looked for a suspension notice and eventually found one which was obscured by a large van and generator parked outside 47 Gee st. As seen in images 3 and 4 attached. I am guessing the parking suspension was to allow the Van to park and sell Pizza during the Clerkenwell design week. I was not obstructing the use or parking of the van, in fact the van was obstructing the suspension notice which meant I could not read or see it without prior knowledge it was there. I would have had to stand in the road to see it endangering myself as I had to to take images to illustrate the hidden notice. As there was no intention to avoid a parking charge and the fact the sign was not easily visible I would hope this challenge can be accepted. Many thanks.   This is the text from the rejection: Thank you for contacting us about the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). The PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a suspended bay or space. I note from your correspondence that there was no suspension notice on the sign that you used to call the payment serve outside number 55 Gee Street. I acknowledge your comments, however, your vehicle was parked in a bay which had been suspended. The regulations require the suspension warning to be clearly visible. It is a large bright yellow sign and is erected by the parking bay on the nearest parking plate to the area that is to be suspended. Parking is then not permitted in the bay for any reason or period of time, however brief. The signs relating to this suspension were sited in accordance with the regulations. Upon reviewing the Civil Enforcement Officer's (CEO's) images and notes, I am satisfied that sufficient signage was in place and that it meets statutory requirements. Whilst I note that the signage may have been obstructed by a large van and generator at the time, please note, it is the responsibility of the motorist to locate and check the time plate each time they park. This will ensure that any changes to the status of the bay are noted. I acknowledge that your vehicle possessed a RingGo session at the time, however, this does not authorize parking within a suspended bay. Suspension restrictions are established to facilitate specific activities like filming or construction, therefore, we anticipate the vehicle owner to relocate the vehicle from the suspended area until the specified date and time when the suspension concludes. Leaving a vehicle unattended for any period of time within a suspended bay, effectively renders the vehicle parked in contravention and a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) may issue a PCN. Finally, the vehicle was left parked approximately 5 metres away from the closest time plate notice. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they park in a suitable parking place and check all signs and road markings prior to leaving their vehicle parked in contravention. It remains the driver's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is parked legally at all times. With that being said, I would have to inform you, your appeal has been rejected at this stage. Please see the below images as taken by the CEO whilst issuing the PCN: You should now choose one of the following options: Pay the penalty charge. We will accept the discounted amount of £65.00 in settlement of this matter, provided it is received by 10 June 2024. After that date, the full penalty charge of £130.00 will be payable. Or Wait for a Notice to Owner (NtO) to be issued to the registered keeper of the vehicle, who is legally responsible for paying the penalty charge. Any further correspondence received prior to the NtO being issued may not be responded to. The NtO gives the recipient the right to make formal representations against the penalty charge. If we reject those representations, there will be the right of appeal to the Environment and Traffic Adjudicator.   Gee st pdf.pdf
    • Nationwide Building Society has launched an 18 month fixed-rate account paying 5.5%.View the full article
    • Well done.   Please let us know how it goes or come back with any questions. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fraud by failing to disclose information

Section 3 provides that where a person dishonestly fails to disclose to another information which he is under a legal duty to disclose, & intends to make a gain or cause a loss or the risk of a loss an offence has been committed.

Does the above apply to banks who don't send all teh information requested, if the £10 was paid when teh SAR was submitted/ Should say that a receipt was acquired for the £10 posatal order.

Vital Spark,

This will come down to interpretation, for what it's worth, my own is that this refers to the non disclosure of information when making an application or entering into contract. Non disclosure relates to information which, if it was disclosed would have a direct affect on the contract.

Haven't got it to hand, but there are many instances on this site where the banks or agents appointed by them have produced misleading information 'production of an instrument' which causes another to do or say something with a view to making a gain or causing another to cause a loss or risk of a loss.

Also, there is the Bill of Rights Act 1689, which is set in stone ( a constitutional statute). This shows that the making of charges, if unjustified, is illegal.

Bill of Rights Act 1689

"That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void".

"Before conviction" means that no fine can be imposed until and unless the individual is convicted in a court of law. Of course, under constitutional law, the Bill of Rights Act 1689 is repealed by the Road Traffic Act 1991. This is because the Road Traffic Act provides for fining outside of a court and, under British law, it is always the later Act that takes precedence.

However, Lord Justice Laws said in the 'Metric Martyrs' judgment (sections 62 and 63):

"We should recognise a hierarchy of Acts of Parliament: as it were "ordinary" statutes and "constitutional statutes". The special status of constitutional statutes follows the special status of constitutional rights. Examples are the Magna Carta, Bill of Rights 1689, The Act of Union ? Ordinary statutes may be impliedly repealed. Constitutional statutes may not?"

The banks are fully aware of this, but for whatever reason seem to believe they can ignore it.

Tide

There have been several discussions on CAG over the last 6 months on the Theft Act/Fraud Act and the conslusion has been that you could try to prove theft/fraud but would almost certainly not get a conviction

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

Steven,

My case is currently ongoing. Should it fail, I have door number 2 (the criminal route) to go down. I've looked at the Fraud Act in detail, and will include this in my Civil action, albeit subliminally, to provide a taste of things to come. Can't say more as my case is ongoing, but there are a few more surprises and a couple of aces which will be presented if necessary.

Best thing I ever did was push for as much information as possible, not listening to their excuses and insisting on my rights to information.

Tide

But are you actually going to get it before a DJ with the bank there?

Steven

I've had a brief butchers at this thread, so forgive me if my question has been answered a thousand times over:o

I am aware that you can stop the bank from taking you money via the Right of Appropriation but what can be done 'exactly' when the deed has already been done?

I have recently returned from holiday to find that Abbey National have taken a wopping £256.53 in one fail swoop from the joint account in charges which has left pretty much nada by way of my partners Incap Benefit to pay any of the direct debits that have fallen due. Needless-to-say this has buggered up finances somewhat which has inturn caused further charges, to the point of no return. I am livid, as I am sure most of you can sympathise, and would like to know what can be done about it, without embarking on court proceedings?

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

muggins I should write to them pointing out their 'mistake' quoting the Social Security Act the details of which are included in the original appropriation letter at the head of this thread.

Give them a few days to repay you & if they don't then contact your MP

Hi all

I have asked the mods to see if we can't have a concerted campaign about this. The banks are blatantly ignoring the law and (currently) being allowed to get away with it.

Steven

• Haha 1

muggins I should write to them pointing out their 'mistake' quoting the Social Security Act the details of which are included in the original appropriation letter at the head of this thread.

Give them a few days to repay you & if they don't then contact your MP

Thanks JonCris for the response.

May I ask, whether or not, such action will be opening a can of worms? Please understand that I am trying to cover all bases, and by this, I mean, is there any chance that my branch will take offence and think that I am meerly being both clever and awkward, which in the long-run would do me no justice, as we all know these banks are a law unto themselves?

IYHO would it not pay to meerly ask them for a refund of the charges and start afresh, providing that is, that they didn't close the account down)?

After reminding them of their mistake, the thought of having to write and instruct them each time a deposit is made concerns me somewhat.

Abbey have already stated that they do not have the resources to monitor my account and transfer monies between my sole account and joint account (whichever one is in credit) in order to prevent these default charges in the first instance.

Your views would be greatly appreciated.

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Muggins,

They seem perfectly able to monitor your account and charge you when it gets overdrawn!!

I agree that having to write to them ever time you expect a payment could become very onerous (to say the least). I suppose they may take offence (perhaps in the same way as a burgler does when they get the cuffs on!!).

You could go through the process of reclaiming the charges and then do it again once the first claim was won. If Abbey do close your account you should remind them that the FSA takes a dim view of bnanks that do that.

I have produced two letters - one to the Chancellor (covering Tax Credits) and the other to the Minister for Work and Pensions (covering other benfits) about bank charges and benefits - if any of you would like to send such a letter to one or both of the ministers, I have posted the letters here. Copy to your own MP as well.

Steven

Muggins,

They seem perfectly able to monitor your account and charge you when it gets overdrawn!!

I agree that having to write to them ever time you expect a payment could become very onerous (to say the least). I suppose they may take offence (perhaps in the same way as a burgler does when they get the cuffs on!!).

You could go through the process of reclaiming the charges and then do it again once the first claim was won. If Abbey do close your account you should remind them that the FSA takes a dim view of bnanks that do that.

(I wrote to the Chancellor and Minister for Work and Pensions about bank charges and benfits - if you (all) would like to write I have posted my letters here)

Steven

Thanks Steven for the words of wisdom. Much appreciated and duly noted.

Fab letter, by-the-way, should come in useful further down the line;)

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

I've put this together and would appreciate your input. I'm livid and exceptionally tired so let me know if it's too much:)

Abbey National plc

Dear Sir/Madam,

Bank Charges and Benefits and the First Right of Appropriation

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am writing to you following several charges debited from my account totalling £xxxx on 08th July 2007.

Bank charges are unlawful penalties for breach of contract. However, the bank or building society is only allowed to charge you what it costs to cover their administrative charges. If they charge you more than this, you may have a legal right to get back the difference.

Notably, and in my instance, if the income in an account comes from benefits, they are also contrary to the legislation relating to benefits. If the income comes from Tax Credits, they are contrary to section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2006. If the income is from incapacity benefit, job seekers allowance, etc , they are contrary to section 187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1996. The working of these two acts comes under the Treasury and the Department of Work and Pensions, respectively and are quoted below for your immediate attention.

Where do I find section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2006? I need to insert it here.

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

When you open an account with a bank or building society and use their services, you are entering into a contract. The law says that the bank or building society must carry out its business:-

• with reasonable care and skill.

If the service is unsatisfactory you may be entitled to compensation if the contract has been broken. I believe that there has been a breach of contract as I feel your organisation has failed to handle my affairs with reasonable care and skill.

This failure on your behalf has caused me and my family a great deal of hardship. We are left with no means to pay the rent due to the unauthorised amount now outstanding. The incoming amounts due to be deposited into our account next week will only clear the amount outstanding leaving little if any to pay the rent, for housekeeping or utility bills such as gas. I note, and am further infuriated by the fact that on one occasion a decision has been made to pay your organisation £15.10 for contents insurance (direct debit mandate no.*) in addition to charging me for this privilege, another direct debit (mandate no.*) to Southern Electric has been refused on the same day.

I ask for a little compassion and request that the benefit amounts totalling £xxxx, debited in order to pay for your default charges, be refunded by return.

I am also writing to inform you that I am due to have the following payments made into my account:-

• Tax Credit payment of £xxx on xx/xx/xx
  • Child Benefit payment of £xxx on x/xx/xx
  • Incapacity Benefit payment of £xxx on x/xx/xx

Totalling £xxxx,

I wish to use my first right of appropriation for this money, for the following purposes;

Rent £xx

Utilities bills £xx

Housekeeping money £xx

I will withdraw the money on the day that it is deposited for the above use, and I would be grateful if you would ensure that any other payments out of my account do not interfere with this withdrawal.

Yours faithfully,

muggins73

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Muggins

Here it is

45. Inalienability

(1) Every assignment of or charge on a tax credit, and every agreement to assign or charge a tax credit, is void; and, on the bankruptcy of a person entitled to a tax credit, the entitlement to the tax credit does not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

(2) In the application of subsection (1) to Scotland-

(a) the reference to assignment is to assignation ("assign" being construed accordingly), and

(b) the reference to the bankruptcy of a person is to the sequestration of his estate or the appointment on his estate of a judicial factor under section 41 of the Solicitors (Scotland) Act 1980 (c. 46).

Leave out the bits about Scotland if they don't apply.

Send a similar letter to the two ministers and to your own MP.

• Haha 1

Muggins

Here it isLeave out the bits about Scotland if they don't apply.

Send a similar letter to the two ministers and to your own MP.

Steven

Thanks kind sir:D

Does it read okay? Is there anything you think, apart from the s.45 bit, that I should add or even delete?

I know it probably sounds dumb, but how exactly should I enter the s.45 bit?

Should it read

Tax Credits Act 2006

45. Inalienability

(1) Every assignment of or charge.....

and then Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

or the other way round?

muggs:)

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

I think it reads OK. I only wish I could tell you that the bank will read it and give you all your money back and stop charging you. I don't think that will happen - but the letter is important. One day this abuse will stop. But I think it will need a concerted campaign - that's why I suggest you send a copy to your MP and the 2 ministers - let them know there is a widespread problem here ad that the banks are BREAKING THE LAW!!!

The bottom line is if they choose to ignore my request then I will be forced to start prelim proceedings against them. I've got Natwest, halifax and Lloyds under my belt and there is definately room for more. Of course I'd rather not go sown that route, as we can ill afford it, but needs must.

I may take you up on your suggestion and cc my letter to my MP (when I find out who that is:o) and the 2 ministers. You never know, it might just help sway them into action.

We live in hope, steven, we live in hope.

Again, thanks for taking the time out. I have pipped your scales;)

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Muggins

UK Parliament - Find Your MP

Steven

Good gracious me, are there no limits to your knowledge:D:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Good gracious me, are there no limits to your knowledge:D:D
I know everything that I can find on the Internet

Steven

I know everything that I can find on the Internet

Steven

So the answer is a definate no then:cool:

I'm off to bed, hope to catch up with you again soon.

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Petition on Bank Charges and Benefits

I have started a petition on the 10 Downing Street site regarding bank charges and benefits. Please pass on the details to as many people as possible on CAG and on your personal e-mail lists. Let's see how many signatures we can get.

The text of the petition is

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to compel the High Street banks to obey the law on state benefits.

It is government policy that people on state benefits (income support, tax credits, etc) have their benefit paid into a bank account. All High Street banks impose charges on banking accounts for going overdrawn, not having funds to cover a direct debit,etc. In the case of accounts which have money from state benefits payed into them , such charges are contrary to section 187 of the Social Security Administartion Act 1996 or seection 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2006. However, the High Street banks continue to ignore this legislation. This petition is to request the Prime Minister to compel the High Street banks to obey the law.

The petition can be found at Petition to: compel the High Street banks to obey the law on state benefits.

Petition on Bank Charges and Benefits

I have started a petition on the 10 Downing Street site regarding bank charges and benefits. Please pass on the details to as many people as possible on CAG and on your personal e-mail lists. Let's see how many signatures we can get.

The text of the petition is The petition can be found at Petition to: compel the High Street banks to obey the law on state benefits.

Steven

Thanks steven

i have signed the petition and added it to my signature and will advise anyone who'll listen:D

• Haha 1

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

HALIFAX03

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA