ESA Daughter WRAG

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4006 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know when she may be due a reassessment of ESA?

It is very troubling that UWC did not view the overall situation about WRAG versus Support as important nor understand that WRAG can put pressure on individuals in a way that can make their situation worse and I gather this to be even more so where mental illness is the prime concern. It is not all about money but people forget that....:-(

As appointee I am required to attend any WFI with my husband...so that is going to be fun when I get a job.... (not something that I was initially told, nor him) and they have to write to him from the local Jobcentre even though I am appointee, with information about the meeting,s...which makes no sense and shows how the system is not fit for purpose....I have to rely on him telling me when he hears from them.

But as I had the WFI for him, in effect, on the phone...all I can say is it was not as I had expected it to be but maybe that was helped by the long-term nature of what my husband has had and is having wrong with him...

I can understand this is a worrying matter and hope that you get some resolution soon. Hopefully the letter from mental health will spark a reassessment and the chance of being placed in the support group (or in any case the chance for a formal appeal).

Edited by Slatted

Do you know when she may be due a reassessment of ESA?

It is very troubling that UWC did not view the overall situation about WRAG versus Support as important nor understand that WRAG can put pressure on individuals in a way that can make their situation worse and I gather this to be even more so where mental illness is the prime concern. It is not all about money but people forget that....:-(

As appointee I am required to attend any WFI with my husband...so that is going to be fun when I get a job.... (not something that I was initially told, nor him) and they have to write to him from the local Jobcentre even though I am appointee, with information about the meeting,s...which makes no sense and shows how the system is not fit for purpose....I have to rely on him telling me when he hears from them.

But as I had the WFI for him, in effect, on the phone...all I can say is it was not as I had expected it to be but maybe that was helped by the long-term nature of what my husband has had and is having wrong with him...

I can understand this is a worrying matter and hope that you get some resolution soon. Hopefully the letter from mental health will spark a reassessment and the chance of being placed in the support group (or in any case the chance for a formal appeal).

Anyone and everyone who is not aware of mental illness can be accused of being ignorant to how mental illness affects people and their carers. And on the mention of carers Slatted don`t you get carers allowance for your husband?

It would seem that being made appointee it is not working as it should, you should be dealing with correspondence, bills, etc and it seems this is overlooked. From my experience DWP don`t seem to know the rules and how to deal with things. In our case when I asked them to postpone my daughter`s interview as she is unwell this was denied. My son`s partner was told she was not allowed to be excused from the interview even though she had no one to take care of my son whose Scizophrenic they just said "Take him with you" it beggars belief. I wish in a way she had gone along and took him and he would have freaked out which could have entailed damage, I think it needs something like this to take place before DWP to sit up and take note.

It is not all about money but people forget that....

Yeah, it seems that way. I know some people who say they need to be in the support group because they're unable to take part in WRAG. They don't care about the money. They just need to be left alone as they're far too ill.

Yes Nystagmite my daughter just wants to be left alone the DWP are pushing people over the edge it is about money fromn their direction they want people off ESA and into work or onto UB that way they are saving money but are they? how many appeals have been lodged and have been succesful? what is that costing? when my daughter had her second lot of ESA forms come recently that gave me my opportunity to appeal against her being in the WRAG, wonder if the letter she received off Mental health is sufficient to secure her to the Support Group? I cannot believe that 2 of my children now have Mental Health it is hard to accept

... but was advised by Unemployed Workers Centre not to and rsik the whole benefit being taken away ...

Ok, I'm not the brightest candle on the birthday cake, but I really don't understand this advice at all. As far as I'm aware, there are three parts to ESA. In the beginning is the Assessment Phase. Once complete, you are farmed into either WRAG or Support. If you are in the Support Group, you could, perhaps, be demoted to WRAG. But if you're in WRAG then you cannot be demoted to anything else. The decision that the person is ill has been made and substantiated. It is just the degree that is in question ...

Anyone and everyone who is not aware of mental illness can be accused of being ignorant to how mental illness affects people and their carers. And on the mention of carers Slatted don`t you get carers allowance for your husband?

It would seem that being made appointee it is not working as it should, you should be dealing with correspondence, bills, etc and it seems this is overlooked. From my experience DWP don`t seem to know the rules and how to deal with things. In our case when I asked them to postpone my daughter`s interview as she is unwell this was denied. My son`s partner was told she was not allowed to be excused from the interview even though she had no one to take care of my son whose Scizophrenic they just said "Take him with you" it beggars belief. I wish in a way she had gone along and took him and he would have freaked out which could have entailed damage, I think it needs something like this to take place before DWP to sit up and take note.

I used to get carers allowance but my husband decided he did not want to live with me any more, could not cope with me having to do everything for him as his problems are both mental and physical and his physcial issues were getting worse...I have had my world turn upside down and am not coping as well as I would like so am on the ESA roundabout myself also......

My sort of ex-husband is awaiting sheltered housing (with telecare support which includes me) which will be inadequate and dangerous in my opinion but he is too young for anything more supportive. He has been in long term respite whilst we tried to convince the Council that it was medically requried for us to separate even though we had a flat with separate bedrooms!!!!...don't get me started on that !!:evil:

So now we are separated physically and sort of financially, so that we can be seen as separated because we are..although I need to help him with banking etc...but although he was meant to get support to become independent, I have had to pick up the slack, no one has been considered as a worthy appointee and he is finding out the harsh realities of what he wanted....benefits and all...as am I... still very much a carer but not viewed as such as no longer on the spot so to speak...:sad:

I do get appointee letters mainly but when I spoke with Adviser who wrote to him about his WFI she said that the rules and the system would not allow them to write to me and she reaslised this was contrary to the Appointee arrangement but she had to write to him because he was the potential Jobseeker.....I was and am confused as it seems so contradictory...did they expect me to come to potential Job interview and work with him as well!!!!???

Until the decision about appeal is known I am too exhausted and fed up to do anything about the appointee issue as it is not going to be an issue for several months at least and at the moment I am trying to organise the move for us to separate properties.....amongst other things....

Enough about me....we all have our tales do we not....:sad:

:-(

Yeah, it seems that way. I know some people who say they need to be in the support group because they're unable to take part in WRAG. They don't care about the money. They just need to be left alone as they're far too ill.

Originally I thought that it was stated that you could not be forced to attend WFI and any of the WRAG activities and if sanctioned you could only lose the "support" element of around £30...so really people could just accept the lower amount and be left alone...not that the lower amount is reasonable to live on....or that they seem to be able to leave anyone alone for any amount of time...not even to get better.....

Ok, I'm not the brightest candle on the birthday cake, but I really don't understand this advice at all. As far as I'm aware, there are three parts to ESA. In the beginning is the Assessment Phase. Once complete, you are farmed into either WRAG or Support. If you are in the Support Group, you could, perhaps, be demoted to WRAG. But if you're in WRAG then you cannot be demoted to anything else. The decision that the person is ill has been made and substantiated. It is just the degree that is in question ...

I feel same Rae that`s why I appealed her new claim for ESA and appealed her LRC of DLA because as you have rightly said in past if you feel you are entitled to this then this is what you should aim for

I feel same Rae that`s why I appealed her new claim for ESA and appealed her LRC of DLA because as you have rightly said in past if you feel you are entitled to this then this is what you should aim for

The problem is that anyone can be reassessed from WRAG to being fit for work so the appeal could have determined that the original decision WAS wrong but that whoever should have been found fit for work...after all it is not as if the appeal rate for those who are just trying to claim ESA under any basis is not testament for how reliable the decisions are but the problem might be that the appeal is not favourable..it has happened sadly...:sad:

I think that although we might say what element of the decision we want to appeal the actual review of decision at appeal will look at overall appropriateness of the decision and could, feasibly, say should have been seen as fit....all you need is the "wrong" panel at tribunal.....

I think we may feel the same as you and Rae but the problem is the system is flawed and therefore risks are taken everytime we rock the boat....or even if we do not.......:-(

I used to get carers allowance but my husband decided he did not want to live with me any more, could not cope with me having to do everything for him as his problems are both mental and physical and his physcial issues were getting worse...I have had my world turn upside down and am not coping as well as I would like so am on the ESA roundabout myself also......

My sort of ex-husband is awaiting sheltered housing (with telecare support which includes me) which will be inadequate and dangerous in my opinion but he is too young for anything more supportive. He has been in long term respite whilst we tried to convince the Council that it was medically requried for us to separate even though we had a flat with separate bedrooms!!!!...don't get me started on that !!:evil:

So now we are separated physically and sort of financially, so that we can be seen as separated because we are..although I need to help him with banking etc...but although he was meant to get support to become independent, I have had to pick up the slack, no one has been considered as a worthy appointee and he is finding out the harsh realities of what he wanted....benefits and all...as am I... still very much a carer but not viewed as such as no longer on the spot so to speak...:sad:

I do get appointee letters mainly but when I spoke with Adviser who wrote to him about his WFI she said that the rules and the system would not allow them to write to me and she reaslised this was contrary to the Appointee arrangement but she had to write to him because he was the potential Jobseeker.....I was and am confused as it seems so contradictory...did they expect me to come to potential Job interview and work with him as well!!!!???

Until the decision about appeal is known I am too exhausted and fed up to do anything about the appointee issue as it is not going to be an issue for several months at least and at the moment I am trying to organise the move for us to separate properties.....amongst other things....

Enough about me....we all have our tales do we not....:sad:

Sadly Slatted as you rightly say we all have sad stories to tell some are overwhelming I feel for your situation mine would make a best seller, my husband is severely brain damaged from over 20 years ago when he was attacked in the street by addicts he was read the last rights he pulled through after many weeks in a coma but as had to learn to speak, walk, everything he can barely speak audibly. In 1997 I too became quite ill and had to leave a teaching post.

Then my youngest son was diagnosed as being a Paranoid Pshcizophrenic, he as been quite poorly at times and as been sectioned

Then my dear sister lost her husband at 49 years of age in 2004 leaving her with 3 boys, she never recovered from her loss and became very ill and had to leave a very high profile job to the government. In May 2010 she was taken to hospital the same week I broke my leg despite this I was all she had so had to visit hospital to see her as her 2 sons were at Uni and the youngest was taken care of by me. Then my eldest girl a lecturer married 11 years decided to change her mind and have a family she went into labour and delivered 3 months early with little chance of the baby surviving as she was born with health complications, I had to make the decision to be at my daughters side or my sister`s I had to choose my sister as I was all she had, my daughter had her husband. To my horror 3 days after my grandaughter was born Dr`s told me my sister`s life was sadly coming to an end I stayed at her side till she passed away 3 days later she was also 49 same age as her husband when he too died, her middle son and my youngest daughter stayed in the room with me for 3 days, I think this had a major affect on my youngest daughter. So sadness I wrote the script I adored my sister and now I am mum to her 3 sons who are still having grief counselling to cope with losing their hard working Mum .

I too was hospitalised with exhaustion, blood clot on lung, and pneumonia 2 years ago.

I don`t know where my strength comes from as my husband as now endured bone marrow operation, life as been very cruel to me and it`s certain people on this site that have been angels to me they know who they are, my sister was not a quitter she never wallowed in self pity and I do not intend to either so the fight continues.

Laura - I know you care a lot about your children and the problems your daughter is having with her benefits; but please, look after yourself too. It's no good for your children if you become ill too.

I hope your husband's operation goes well and that he makes a speedy recovery.

The phrase "if it does'nt kill you it makes you stronger" always scares me as I really never want to find the thing that kills me but a lot of us must be like body builders emotionally already!!!:lol::-)

There are many who have so much to bear and do it with strength, love, compassion and determination.... the problem is the rewards in this world are focussed on the opposite qualities I fear.:-(

Laura - I know you care a lot about your children and the problems your daughter is having with her benefits; but please, look after yourself too. It's no good for your children if you become ill too.

I hope your husband's operation goes well and that he makes a speedy recovery.

Nystagmite

These are the words of my GP she worries about me but who can I off load too? try to get a bit of me time, dare not look or say I am poorly in front of my youngest nephew who is autistic and a insulin dependent diabetic poor mite will say "Oh please don`t leave me" I get plenty of support with him but what goes around his head does not bare thinking about hese lost his parents, his brothers are at Uni he barely see`s them hese lost his home as he had to come to me, and his Mum worshipped him I can`t make up for his Mum. My hubby ok thanks hese very much loved and supported by my children. My eldest son as been coming to stay with us since April to assist with my husband hese been great even though he works long hours in management, hese under lots of his own pressure but wants to help us, it makes me feel very humble

The phrase "if it does'nt kill you it makes you stronger" always scares me as I really never want to find the thing that kills me but a lot of us must be like body builders emotionally already!!!:lol::-)

There are many who have so much to bear and do it with strength, love, compassion and determination.... the problem is the rewards in this world are focussed on the opposite qualities I fear.:-(

So true things make you stronger, I used to cry at sad tales like mine which have been screened on the TV yet I just have to get on with it, what I do keep thinking though surely nothing else can get thrown at me think I have received more than my fair share of sadness and hardship.

So true things make you stronger, I used to cry at sad tales like mine which have been screened on the TV yet I just have to get on with it, what I do keep thinking though surely nothing else can get thrown at me think I have received more than my fair share of sadness and hardship.

That is an understandable way to think but can lead to disappointment....life is not fair and that is the problem.....I think it is no problem to cry and empathise and feel compassion for others in a similar plight and shows inner strength..and also that life has not broken you.....in my book strength is feeling but not succumbing to it...no matter how hard it is and how near you come...you can get down and feel c**p but that is not weak but strong....realeasing pressure before you blow....

I keep hoping that there would be Karma or somesuch....and that we do not know what goes on behind closed doors....but I cant help suspecting that it helps not to be grubbing around for benefit handouts... money is surely the route of most if not all evil......

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like some money of course!:-)

That is an understandable way to think but can lead to disappointment....life is not fair and that is the problem.....I think it is no problem to cry and empathise and feel compassion for others in a similar plight and shows inner strength..and also that life has not broken you.....in my book strength is feeling but not succumbing to it...no matter how hard it is and how near you come...you can get down and feel c**p but that is not weak but strong....realeasing pressure before you blow....

I keep hoping that there would be Karma or somesuch....and that we do not know what goes on behind closed doors....but I cant help suspecting that it helps not to be grubbing around for benefit handouts... money is surely the route of most if not all evil......

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like some money of course!:-)

Money last thing on my mind I can tell you but I am also mindful that one cannot live without it:-)

Money last thing on my mind I can tell you but I am also mindful that one cannot live without it:-)

That is what I meant. I am sure that if you had funds you would not be worrying about how your daughter is going to have to cope with ESA requirements.....it is a fantasy of mine to be able to tell the Govt where to stuff their benefits!! But it is unlikely I will win the lottery, especially as I cannot justify the expense of a ticket....:sad:

Money is the last thing we want to have to worry about when so much is more important in the scheme of things but without money all falls down...it is as if the Country is kicking us and those we care for when already down..:|

And are you in touch with your local Carers Centre? Are there any good support groups? Our local one has a forum and telephone support and groups to just get together and offload or have fun whatever is required to help all those who carry more than their fair share of the load in life.:-)

That is what I meant. I am sure that if you had funds you would not be worrying about how your daughter is going to have to cope with ESA requirements.....it is a fantasy of mine to be able to tell the Govt where to stuff their benefits!! But it is unlikely I will win the lottery, especially as I cannot justify the expense of a ticket....:sad:

Money is the last thing we want to have to worry about when so much is more important in the scheme of things but without money all falls down...it is as if the Country is kicking us and those we care for when already down..:|

And are you in touch with your local Carers Centre? Are there any good support groups? Our local one has a forum and telephone support and groups to just get together and offload or have fun whatever is required to help all those who carry more than their fair share of the load in life.:-)

Yes Slatted everything is as you say and I only do lottery when it is a roll over. Mind have been very helpful to us, yes this government want to poor, sick and disabled to fade away so much for this being the group that had "Nothing to fear" and I could scream when I hear that "We are all in this together" like my MP states Cameron as not got a clue how ordinary folk live he does not even know the price of milk. Yet I am mindful that it was Labour who started the ball rolling with the cruel ESA:-)

Yes Slatted everything is as you say and I only do lottery when it is a roll over. Mind have been very helpful to us, yes this government want the poor, sick and disabled to fade away so much for this being the group that had "Nothing to fear" and I could scream when I hear that "We are all in this together" like my MP states Cameron as not got a clue how ordinary folk live he does not even know the price of milk. Yet I am mindful that it was Labour who started the ball rolling with the cruel ESA:-)

Yes Slatted everything is as you say and I only do lottery when it is a roll over. Mind have been very helpful to us, yes this government want the poor, sick and disabled to fade away so much for this being the group that had "Nothing to fear" and I could scream when I hear that "We are all in this together" like my MP states Cameron as not got a clue how ordinary folk live he does not even know the price of milk. Yet I am mindful that it was Labour who started the ball rolling with the cruel ESA:-)

So much for "nothing to fear" I have never been more frightened in my entire life! :-(

You only have nothing to fear if you're one of the lucky ones who doesn't need any form of benefit.

Yet.

No one can predict what will happen in the future, so everyone should be scared.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.