• Tweets

• My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • Thanks DX,   I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
    • Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have.
    • go do a Direct Debit Guarantee Clawback to your bank if you've now got control of his bank account finny.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Disciplinary/sickness/resignation query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been asked by a colleague to be their witness/note taker at Disciplinary meeting and am looking for a little advice to pass on as to how to approach the meeting.

The background is as follows;

My colleague has already the investigative meeting and was suspended because their actions potentially are gross mis-conduct and they had admitted to it.

Upon suspension, they went to their GP and have been diagnosed as suffering with depression for at least the last 4 years. They have submitted sick notes and have been on sick leave

for the last 6 weeks.

They have been to counselling sessions and prescribed anti-depressents and the current sick note expires on 30th June.

On 1st june my colleague sent in their written resignation with the required 30 days notice to end their employment on 30th June.

The company have "refuse to accept this", and have invited them in to a disciplinary meeting next week.

My questions are as follows;

As my colleague is currently receiving treatment for depression and has a current sick note, are they obliged to attend?

If they don't attend, can they be dismissed without attending the disciplinary?

Can an employer refuse to accept an employees resignation?

During the meeting can we ask for an adjournment as my colleague is not up to the stress of such a situation?

If the date to reconviene is after my colleagues apparent leave date i.e. 30th June. What is the obligation af the employer and my colleague?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The employer should determine via a medical practitioner (theirs or yours) if your friend is mentally capable of attending a disciplinary hearing

if this is no they can on occasion hear it in their absence (most of the time the person is found fit by the employers medical advice)

they can refuse to allow a resignation due to a dismissal process but it's a paper exercise in some ways, the person cannot be forced to work any more but their record would show dismissed for x,y,z instead of resigned, it may also affect notice/entitlements pilon and such

Completely agree. It would be reasonable for the employer to allow a postponement where an employee is unfit or unable to attend a disciplinary, but this cannot be postponed forever, and ultimately the hearing can be heard in the employee's absence.

As stated above, the employer is entitled to refuse a resignation and instead see out the disciplinary process.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for your answers.

Their main concern is for future references should they secure alternative employment.

How much can an information can an employer share on a reference in respect as to why an employment was ended?

dont take this the wrong way please

does your work place have a union rep

do you feel qualified to sit in on a disciplinary hearing which may amount to dismissal

have you been given all the typed up notes to be used in the meeting from the fact finding interview

are you aware of your companies disciplinary procedure

I just received a text message asking if I would sit in as a witness/note taker. As far as I know company policy only allows me attend in this role as I have sat in on prior meetings and been told that was my only role, although I could request an adjournment should I feel it necessary.

There is a minority union membership however they are not a member.

I've found out in the last hour or so, that my workmate has had some advice from ACAS, hence their agreement to attend the meeting.

I'm not sure they have been given copies of notes etc, I'll check, but going off how others have been dealt with in the past, the company is very strict in following guidelines.

Their main concern is for future references should they secure alternative employment.

How much can an information can an employer share on a reference in respect as to why an employment was ended?

Resigning in the face of a disciplinary is rarely a good option for precisely this reason. With a resignation, whilst the employer cannot say that an employee was guilty of an act of gross misconduct, they can quite reasonably state that the employee resigned whilst the subject of a disciplinary matter, which is usually equally as damaging. At least with the disciplinary there is always the chance of being able to mitigate whatever has caused the problem, and to get a lesser sanction than dismissal, or where there are grounds to do so, to negotiate a compromise agreement.

An employer can say anything, so long as it is factual, although mostly this will amount to single word answers to direct questions.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi

I Still have to agree with Squaddie on this do you feel competent enough to not only be a witness but also a note taker?

1. Has the person asking you to be a witness written and informed the disciplinary panel of his request that you are a witness/note taker?

2. Do you have all the evidence to be used at the Disciplinary Hearing and are you sure its all the evidence?

3. If you have the evidence do you know what futher documentation/policies/procedures to request from the company and how to do it?

4. Do you have a letter of authority stating you are acting on this persons behalf at the hearing?

I could go on but you do need to realise what you are taking on and the responsibilities with it.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The poster is being asked to be a witness - not act as legal counsel. They don't need a law degree. It is up to the person undergoing the disciplinary to get a more qualified rep if they wish, but if they chose not to be a member of the union, their call.

I'd be more wary of irritating our mutual employer by overstepping the role of notetaker and witness by getting too involved. Which is NOT what you have been asked to do. The single most useful thing you can do is say "I think we need to take a short break, would that be ok?" when things get heavy. Other than that, you are not there to talk AT ALL.

Slavery and bondage no longer being legal in this country the employer cannot refuse notice given with the correct notice period. They can however for eternity give out a reference saying "resigned pending outcome of disciplinary", so for that reason, I would sit tight.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

This is legally probably a more complex situation than I think you were expecting, OP.

The first thing to ascertain is whether your friend wants to keep their job. They've already admitted to the offence, so the focus here has to be heavily on mitigation. This would include the work stress, and depression.

The headache they have is that your friend could now be disabled. This also means that proceeding with the disciplinary hearing without assessing your friend's fitness to attend could mean that any subsequent dismissal could be unfair. If your friend is genuinely not in a fit state to attend, the company need to be made aware of this and medical evidence should be sought. He could even mention the potential disability point to try to get an adjournment. So in response to two of your questions - your friend shouldn't be obliged to attend with medical evidence in place, but as SW has said, it can't be postponed indefinitely. If disability is an issue, more investigation is required. However, if they do hold it in his absence, they could potentially still dismiss him.

The employer is in a difficult position here, too. What grounds did they cite for refusing the resignation?

In terms of your role as a companion, I'll make it clear what a companion is permitted to do. Firstly, I would suggest the primary reason for you to attend is to take a good note of the meeting for your friend to later rely on for a potential future unfair dismissal claim. However, you do have other roles as a companion. You are permitted to address the disciplinary hearing (including putting the employee's case forward, summing up, and responding on your friends behalf to any view expressed at the hearing) and to confer with him during the hearing. There is no right to answer questions on his behalf, but I would suggest that if your friend is not in a fit mental state, you may be asked to have a more proactive role in addressing the hearing. In answer to another question, yes, you an request an adjournment and it would probably be unreasonable for the employer to refuse.

Finally, the resignation point. Contrary to previous advice, it's not open to an employer to refuse to accept a resignation (officially, anyway). They can however clearly inform any future prospective employers that he resigned whilst under investigation for gross misconduct, which would not be ideal. It's a common misconception that a resignation isn't "valid" until it's been accepted, but case law is clear on this point, in that once a resignation has validly been given, it is effective and can neither be "refused" by the recipient or "withdrawn" by the person giving it, without the other's agreement.

that is why i asked the op to speak to the local IR REP

the rep can take over on representing the collegue if he or she wished it with the collegues request,

be it the collegue is a union member or not, and then the collegue will get the full support of the union rep if the union is recognised within the business in the disciplinary meeting including speaking and mitigatating any loss