Grumpy Old Men (& Women) Thread.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Re road v. rail.

The answer to which is the best depends on what is being transported and to where. Rail is ideal for large volumes from one place to another e.g. coal from a port to a power station while road is ideal for smaller loads or anything with multiple drops.

What is interesting is where rail is used for the main trunk section with road for the ends of the journey - Tesco have really gone for this.

I also have a number of clichés which can be challenged (please note most are very tongue in cheek):

• All French cars are unreliable
  • All German cars are driven aggressively
  • VWs are always reliable
  • Only Rovers get HGF
  • Only pensioners drive Yarises
  • Only footballers drive Ferraris and Bentley Continentals
  • Fords are made in the UK
  • All BMWs, VWs, Mercedes and Audis are made in Germany
  • All vans are white
  • Audis have a manufacturing defect in their windscreens that makes 3cm look like a safe gap to the car in front
  • Chavs and Barry Boys know more about car styling with their stick on stuff than the styling departments of major companies

:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

=Andrew-P Re road v. rail.

I also have a number of clichés which can be challenged (please note most are very tongue in cheek):

A great list but they aren't all cliches:

All French cars are unreliable - I would defy anyone to prove otherwise

Fords are made in the UK - And the same for Range Rovers

All French cars are unreliable - I would defy anyone to prove otherwise

Fair enough - my Dad once had a Renault which made BL products look like masterpieces of quality workmanship

Fords are made in the UK - And the same for Range Rovers

I thought they were - so curious now - where are they made overseas? (I know they are going to be made in China, Defenders have been made all over the place and Freelanders are made in India but never knew that about the Rangie)

The Indian company that owns them are building an assembly plant in China. They aren't closing the UK plant, the China one will be to compliment the UK one.

In time proven English that says.

We are building a plant in China and when that is up and running and we see that it cost us half as much to build in China as it does in the UK, we will shut the UK plant.

I would even put money on the operation in the UK being gone within 5 years.

How on earth did we get from grumpy old men to road v rail then on to car manufacturing???? My initial post was supposed to inspire, in a joking fashion, reference to a certain small blue pill sometimes not readily available to old men, thus making them grumpy LOL LOL.

Quite willing to defy you Conniff. Hard evidence is on my drive for you to see. 10 years, 250,000 miles and absolutely zero breakdowns.

As regards Range Rovers etc................you could not be further from the truth.

There are those who know and those who think they know. What's happening is actually good news for the UK for now and the foreseeable future.

Heathen!

How on earth did we get from grumpy old men to road v rail then on to car manufacturing???? My initial post was supposed to inspire, in a joking fashion, reference to a certain small blue pill sometimes not readily available to old men, thus making them grumpy LOL LOL.

Am in the eastern territories next week and second week of Jan scania (take note Conniff). How many would you like bringing back. Apparently you can get double strength for conniff. He probably needs them.

Alternatively I'm back dawn sarf the following week so can collect some of Dell Boys dolls for you both.

Of course Conniff. I notice a numerous number of studs closing down lately!

But of course, when you got yours, I take it you got a warranty with it? Age, mileage etc or you could take the bank fodder approach...........issue proceedings after 14 days irrespective of what has actually happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a day off so went to Tesco's new store in an effort to convince SWMBO that itmight be cheaper than using the local Waitrose. Had lunch in the cafe and ordered a burger. The waitress asked if I wanted anything on it. I said a fiver each way............er didn't go down too well.............think we'll stick to Waitrose!!

I believe that.

Anyway what did you get a day off from? don't say you couldn't get to work in the snow. People today, when I was you age I would walk 25 miles to work, do 2 mens jobs, (in the rain) and then walk 35 miles back home via the local town where I got me an oggy for my tea.

PS I forgot, and all for tuppence a week

Edited by Conniff

Just fancied a day off from the last two weeks extrenuous efforts to keep the customer satisfied. Nothing to do with the smattering of snow. And what you describe is very true. One boss I had said ishelios is in then you all should be in.................and Iwas commuting 100 miles each way then!!

Wish some of the ar--hol-- using the A92 today had taken the day off. Grid lock and mega queues caused by incompetent drivers who obviously had no idea how to drive on snow. 2hours to get out of Morrisons car park then driving at 10mph on the main road. All on black roads.!!!!!!!!!!

One viewer speaking this morning said "it just came out of nowhere", think again sunshine, it was forecast two days ago, so unplug that crap music emitting from those stupid earplugs and put the news/weather forecast on once in a while.

I should add, or maybe boast, we had absolutely nothing, not a single flake of snow or a hint of frost. If you did, serves you right for living where you do . :)

Edited by Conniff

I believe that.

Anyway what did you get a day off from? don't say you couldn't get to work in the snow. People today, when I was you age I would walk 25 miles to work, do 2 mens jobs, (in the rain) and then walk 35 miles back home via the local town where I got me an oggy for my tea.

PS I forgot, and all for tuppence a week

You think that's bad...

Ooooh, I love that sketch! 'I had to get up at 10 o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to sleep!'.

Quality! :-D

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone seen heliosuk, he can't still be in Tesco shopping can he?

So he went on a long weekend to Cornwall and the car broke down. It's a darn long walk home especially carrying the misses bags.

• 1 month later...

I like an Indian now and then. I remember years ago with a mate we had an Indian and then half a mile down the street saw a Chinese so popped in there and had another meal.