• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Complaint against a member of staff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4464 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had a personal issue somebody, and out of the blue, i received an email from them stating that they had used their position in work to look at all my records - police, medical and social services. Its an extremely distressing time anyway die other things happening as well, and this has really made me feel on edge about having my personal information invaded. With regards to telling her place of work - what could actually happen in such a case with regards to an investigation? How will my personal information on myself be protected if she knows things? Is it likely that someone could access all of these records or is it likely to be a fabrication? And - should it be a fabrication - Would she still be disciplined in work? I currently can not sleep over this and the connected matters and want to have an idea of potential backlashes before telling her place of work.

Hi,

Would it be possible, without obviously wanting to divulge too many specifics, to tell us what sort of job this person has?

Anyone with access to your personal records, whether through their occupation or so on, must have a genuine reason for accessing them. They must also ensure that they remain private and confidential. I am certain that if this individual has accessed them without 'due reason' then they would be likely to face disciplinary proceeding with their employer, and possibly legal proceedings too?

Phil

I can't imagine where she works to have access to all of those, so it might be that she's just trying to wind you up. However, if she's telling the truth, then doing this would qualify as gross misconduct so she's in serious trouble, quite frankly. As Phil says above, she could be in legal trouble, too.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

She has a position within a government agency that deals with sensitive information - therefore i have reason to believe that yes, she could access my details. Do you know how the matter would be dealt with?

Do you have a copy of the communication wherein they state they have accessed your information? If so, and it appears to be genuine on the basis of your obvious dealings with this person previously, perhaps you should contact the police?

Yes - I have a copy of the email she has sent. What could the police actually do with regards to this? There are subtle threatening tones in the email about using information she has obtained on me against me - I have my own business and the main reason i have not immediately contacted her work is for fear of my reputation being ruined. Should i take this further - and she, for example, got the sack - what grounds would i have to ensure my personal information then does not become public knowledge?

There are people on this forum with perhaps more legal knowledge than I with regards to what action could be taken in this matter.

However, if she has made insinuations within her email to you that she will use your sensitive information against you, then perhaps she shouldn't occupy the position that she does?

She is probably just adding fuel to the fire that you both obviously have going on between you, and is intending to scare you. For what reasons, I'm unsure.

Anyone else got any advice for Janice?

Well, what they would do would partially depend on the content of the email - what you're hinting at is veering towards blackmail, so I suspect she'd find herself in serious trouble.

ETA: In my opinion, she's unlikely to be arrested for accessing your personal information, but the chances of prosecution would increase if she actually made that information public. If she's using the information to blackmail you, then I would imagine prosecution is inevitable.

IMO, she would definitely get sacked if her employer found out about the access.

Edited by LaughingGirl

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

I'm not sure anyone on here would be able to reassure you of that - if she's already accessed the information, she can't "un-know" what she's already found out. If you mean that you want to be reassured that she can't access your information in future, then the only way you would be able to do that is to contact her employer to make sure that her access is removed.

Well, exactly! The only reassurance that I can give is that I can't think of any agency that would have complete access to Police, Medical and Social Services. Social Services might have access to small amounts of data from each one, I suppose. My gut feeling is that this is a scare tactic, if not a very clever one. Even if she's lying, if her employer is told she's using her position to manipulate someone into believing that they know her personal business, she's probably still going to face a disciplinary - one which will very likely result in her being sacked anyway.

I agree.

If I worked within a 'Government Agency' with such wide-reaching access and wanted to gain information on someone to use against them, I suppose the last thing I'd do is actually tell that person, or I'd leave myself wide open to attack.

As a result, I don't think you've got much to worry about. However, I'd still take it further and present your email to her employer.

Hi

What i would suggest is making a Formal Complaint in writing to that Goverment Agency about the Employees email sent to OP enclosing a copy of said email as evidence.

even if this was a joke its a sick joke and more than likely breaches that agencies own internal policies like ICT Policy, Electronic Communication and Security Policy.

Also if this was sent by this individual using that agencies email account and signed or printed at end of email that individuals name and agencies status it would open a further can of worms. As this individual would then by doing this if they have brought that agenices name into disrepute and most places dont take very kindly to this thus "Gross Misconduct".

Edited by stu007
  • Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Even IF (and I think it a fairly big IF that this person has access to all of that information) then it's use has to be very strictly controlled and without due cause to use it, even the threat from a Government employee that it may be used for frivolous purposes would guarantee the originator of the email to be in serious trouble - they would be most unlikely to keep their job!

Stu007 is spot on - get a formal complaint in with a copy of the email which you have received, demand that they disclose the level of information which is held about you and demand that they cease and desist using your personal information in this manner. You might also threaten to report the matter to the ICO and take the matter up with your MP to raise the issue at an appropriate level.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I can't think of any government agency where a single individual could access such a range of information, especially without the subject's consent.

DBS NSV (formerly the Defence Vetting Agency) can access various sources of personal data, but the subject would be aware and would have to consent.

Even if the security services were able to access sensitive data without the individual's consent (for example, in the interest of national security), this wouldn't happen without a grown-up signing-off, and it certainly wouldn't be dealt with by one individual.

Access to the Police National Computer is strictly controlled and recorded, so anyone misusing it is leaving themselves in a very vulnerable position. Even someone working in CRB checking would need the individual's consent.

In any event, anyone who has access to sensitive data of any sort and abuses their position should be reported. If such an individual works in an area that involves defence or security, the matter goes beyond a personal dispute and raises serious questions about the individual's suitability for their role. Such people may be a security risk, at worst. OP should write to the agency, raising their concerns and enclosing details of the email sent by the individual.

I agree, I can't think of a single Government Agency with access to all of those things.I think they may be bluffing, however I would call their bluff and take the email to the police and make a complaint.If they have access to the police national computer and have checked your records on it then it would be very easy for the police to check. Everyone who has access to it has their own user id and password and you need to enter a code into each time to record the reason why you are looking at a record or conducting a name search.Its a criminal offence to look at data on the police national computer without permission. I know this because I worked in a government agency which used it and a member of staff was caught checking his neighbours on it, the only reason we found out about it was because the police marched into the office and marched the man out in cuffs.Even if she hasnt accessed your records the police and her employer would give her a good ticking off for making the threat that she did I would also imagine her employer would take action against her.

I've just re-read your original post. I think what I might have missed is that you're concerned that if you involve her employers, and she loses her job, this might trigger her into releasing the information publicly? If this is the case then all I can add is that if she does do that, then the Police would almost certainly get involved. I imagine any work disciplinary procedure would include warning her that if the information is leaked, she will leaving herself open to prosecution.

Honestly, she's been incredibly stupid just by emailing you and implying that she can access your data. For one thing, I think she's talking nonsense. For another, as has already been said, just the threat of doing it could result in her losing her job, almost certainly so if she used her work email address.

If it was me, I would report the matter to her employer as a matter of urgency.