Wescot Claimform - old CAT debt

rogermeard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE..........

Filled out the AOS online on 22nd. Sent off the CPR to the Claimant which was received by them wednesday 25th according to proof of post signature.

Had no response from the claimant at all so far.

So are the 7 days up or is it 7 working days?

How should i proceed now?

Hi rogermeard. Already covered in your CPR request >>>

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

Write/e.mail or whatever. Remind them of your letter and the content therein. Ask them to confirm if they want an extension. Or you'll be applying to the court that their claim be struck out as per your letter.

If they do wish to extend then get it in writing. It's then down to you to inform the court.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

UPDATE.............

We have received a letter from the claimant stating that in view of the dispute we have raised they do not intend to pursue the matter any further and have enclosed a Consent Order signed by the claimant.

If we agree to the Consent Order could we please sign it and return a copy to them so they can send it to the County Court.

Now this seems a bit strange is this normal procedure or are they up to something?

The consent order is worded.....

The Claimant and the Defendant (parties) having agreed to settle the dispute and have agreed

It is ordered that:-

1. The Claiments Claim against the Defendant, be withdrawn

2. No Order as to costs

Then it has a section for signatures one of which is signed by the claimant etc and one for defendant.

If this is indeed legitimate then why cant we send the form back to the Court ourselves rather than forwarding to the claimant first?

ADVICE PLEASE?

Hi rogermeard, sounds good.

I think that they have to withdraw the claim being the claimant. They could be up to something but doubt it as it's in writing.

Await further info from others as I've not had one of these (yet lol).

If no replies then drop a PM to either DonkeyB or AndyOrch and ask them to look in and cast an eye over it. But looks like you've scared them off :-)

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

UPDATE.............

We have received a letter from the claimant stating that in view of the dispute we have raised they do not intend to pursue the matter any further and have enclosed a Consent Order signed by the claimant.

If we agree to the Consent Order could we please sign it and return a copy to them so they can send it to the County Court.

Now this seems a bit strange is this normal procedure or are they up to something?

The Claimant and the Defendant (parties) having agreed to settle the dispute and have agreed

2. No Order as to costs

Then it has a section for signatures one of which is signed by the claimant etc and one for defendant.

If this is indeed legitimate then why cant we send the form back to the Court ourselves rather than forwarding to the claimant first?

ADVICE PLEASE?

Result, looks like a win!

You have 3 options as far as I can see:

1) Sign it and send it back the them (keep copy) and forget all about it and move on with your life.

2) Ask they amend it to pay your costs instead of no order to costs to see what they say.

3) Reject it and fight on. You may win, you may lose.

Up to you...

Hmmm........... looks like they've bottled it.

I'd be inclined to give them a bell and discuss the following in respect of discontinuance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ........ and the consent remains valid if they don't want to play;

Claimant to discontinue

Claimant bears defendants costs at ........[circa £300.00]

Well done though, you've won whatever the consent terms

Gez

"If this is indeed legitimate then why cant we send the form back to the Court ourselves rather than forwarding to the claimant first?"

No the Claimants Sols have prepared the Consent and as such must be returned to them to lodge and seal with the Court.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

"If this is indeed legitimate then why cant we send the form back to the Court ourselves rather than forwarding to the claimant first?"

No the Claimants Sols have prepared the Consent and as such must be returned to them to lodge and seal with the Court.

Regards

Andy

Yeah but........would you front it out for costs as additional term of consent? :-)

Gez

Yeah but........would you front it out for costs as additional term of consent? :-)

Gez

You know my answer to that Gez:-D

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Worth a try but very doubtful on a Consent because its not actually a Discontinuance more like a elongated stay.

Regards

Andy

Heyho........ gotta be worth the price of a phone call :-)

Oh and, I'm about 24 hours away from settling mine...... PM me an e-mail addy I can forward some docs to you on before I sign on the dotted line and can't disclose.

Gez

Just sent you a PM Gez (apologies Roger for the hijack well done by the way)

Andy

It’s what the CO doesn’t say that’s a worry, as well as what it does.

It says you have agreed to settle the dispute. You have not – you know nothing of this debt. There is no dispute – just a denial that the debt is yours. Their wording implies you know what it’s about.

And then it doesn’t say they won’t try again.

Doesn’t say they won’t sell it on.

This is Westcot you are dealing with – incompetent idiots but, like most debt buyers, not immune to underhand dealings.

IMO, you should

(a) make sure you enter a defence on time anyway (so you can claim costs)

(b) maybe draft your own order which covers the issues.

There is no debt, if what you say is true, so there is no dispute. They are trying to get off the hook for nothing. They should simply discontinue and bear your costs.

Thank you for looking over this. We have had no docs or info about the alleged debt whatsoever. Just the Court papers turning up then us replying with the AOS and a CPR to the claimant. Then the arrival of the letter stating they were not going to pursue the matter, so why the consent order and not just simply a discontinuance?

To me it smells a bit , seems like they a) want a signature for future use b) want admission there is a matter to resolve c) as said earlier what is stop them selling on?

It is also suspiciously near the 6 year limit.

Need to move on this , not really fussed about claiming costs as its just too much hassle. What defence should i put in or write a letter stating my concerns to the claimant about why not just discontinue?

Because they are trying to avoid liability for costs. And maybe giving themselves another window of opportunity...

Getting a defence in anyway might be useful. Your defence would be a simple denial, stating you have no knowledge of the alleged debt, and that the claimant has failed to provide details despite a CPR request. You should state your right to amend your defence as and when the claimant provides any evidence.

What’s your final date for entering the defence?

I recived the claim on 17th Jan (issued 12th). I sent the AOS online on the 23rd Jan. CPR recieved by claimant on the 25th Jan. I guess i get 14 days from the AOS date to enter a defence?

33 days from the 12th.

Mike

UPDATE........

Filled out Defence section today. Basically stated that we do not recognise the contract/claim or claimant. Not recieved comms regarding this matter until claim recieved. No evidence recieved to support claim despite CPR being sent and that we reserve the right to amend the defence as and when docs recieved.

Guess that covers it.

Regarding the Consent Order sent by the claimant should i bother replying to that or ignore? Really after a Discontinuance i guess?

On a secondary point, we have been thinking loooong and hard and reckon this "could" be an old catalogue debt but to be honest we got in soooo much trouble back in 2005 we really cant recollect fully if it is or indeed to who . However if it is and we haven't paid/communicated since 2005/2006 time surely the alleged debt is Statue Barred also it does not appear on any of our credit file only the claimant has listed a Default on the file regarding the debt but in Jan this year only??

Edited by rogermeard

UPDATE.............

2. No Order as to costs

ADVICE PLEASE?

Wescott have been having quite a lot of claims struck out or are discontinuing then being responsible for Wasted Costs. I suspect that they are attempting to avoid either of these happening.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Issuing a consent to withdraw is a very prudent way to discontinue IE no liability for costs.The other important factor is a consent normally only stays litigation not end it, how do you know the claim as been withdrawn?

Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Have you checked with the court? They may [unlikely I know] have filed a discontinuance?

They've already acknowledged they have no commercial interest in proceeding.

Check with the court on Monday to see if the status has changed or if anything's been filed by the other side, you can look at your options afterwards.

Gez