Help re: Back-billing EON / EDF

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I'll try to explain the nightmare I find myself in as best as I can-

In 2008, I moved into a new build property and upon starting the tenancy had a letter from the letting agency detailing who all the suppliers to the property were (names and telephone numbers). They said that they would be letting the companies know but we decided to call electricity (EDF) and other suppliers to provide meter readings etc.

Now, with EDF, we gave all our details and meter readings to the customer service person and when we did not hear any furthur, we got in touch with the letting agent so they could follow up as well.

No bills were forthcoming despite us trying and the letting agent although EDF did come round to take meter readings (the meter is outside the flat).

In mid-2011, we had a visit card from E-on's doorstep collectors for the occupier, stating that they were here to collect the unpaid bill. We called the quoted number in shock. Long story short - turns out EDF are not the supplier but E-On are! All parties concerned are clueless not least the letting agents, who are not managing the property anymore giving them all the more reason not to help! They have stated the do not have any records of letters from back in 2008!

Eon have sent us a letter stating that the backbilling rule doesnt apply to us as they have been taking meter readings every 3 months (we have never come across any eon representatives) and have been sending all the bills to a forwarding address the previous tenant had supplied! How do we know if this is even true? If they have been taking meter readings here, shouldnt they be sending the bills here? why is the doorstep collectors letter addressed to 'the occupier' (as opposed to the person who they have been sending the bills to?) Also, every time we call up eons customer services - they cant even find our flat on their system! We have to speak to a particular person (who wrote us the letter) at a particular extension number - who seems to be the only one who knows anything about us!

To date we havnt seen a bill, eon never wrote to this address and we have been completely led on by the estate agents and EDF. Where do we stand in this? cant think of how to pay the staggering bill when it arrives! Shouldnt they take some accountability? Isnt that what the billing code is for?

Sorry about having such a rant but hope someone can help so we can know where we stand!

Thanks in advance

Hi - thanks for this. I have decided to write to them again, citing points from the backbilling guide.

But it would be good if the Eon rep could shed some light.

This is very inventive of them.

If this were true then every energy company could get round the regulations by saying that they were billing the tooth fairy every quarter!

Obviously they have to send the bills to the correct address. It's their fault if they don't!

They are in need of a reality check

They will probably tell you things like that in person but you will probably get a different answer if you make an official complaint

Hi mguy1,

I hope you don't mind me popping on to this thread.:-)

I've just got a few questions I would like to ask you.

Since you have been in the property from 2008, have you ever had a bill from EDF or made a payment?

When EON supplies a property, it doesn't always mean we read the meter, EDF might be the meter readers in your area, that's why you might have seen the EDF meter reader, reading your meter.

I think the reason we cannot find the account is that sometimes the account might still be under a builder’s account, that's why you can only talk to a particular person.

Accounts for new builds always start off under a builders accounts until we have been notified of the new occupier, this is up to the customer or the builder to advise us of the move in date, start meter readings and customer details to enable us to bill the account correctly.

If we are not notified of who has moved in we cannot open a new account for that person as we don’t have any details.

I understand that you may have been given incorrect information from another supplier, but this won’t be used to establish if your account falls under the billing code with E.ON.

The billing code and back billing is something that is done following tight guidelines but each case is looked at individually and it very much depends on the specific circumstances.

What you need to do is to get an accurate account set up in your name, with your details your start meter readings and up to date meter readings.

If the account does not fall under the billing code we may be able to offer you an extended period of time to re-pay the balance along with your ongoing usage.

I’m sorry I can’t be very specific as it all depends on the account, if you do need to take it a stage further within E.ON I would advise you to contact the Director’s Office as they are best placed to deal with these sorts of accounts.

Amy:-D

Surely regardless of whether an account was set up in the OP's name or not, bills from EON should still have been sent to the address and simply addressed to "The Occupier", even if it was under a Builders contract. It's not the OP's fault that EON never sent bills to the correct address, it's EON's.

Hi MaxxPower,

As we don't know the specific details of the account, it's impossible to say what's happened.

On some builders accounts the addresses are not completed until we have been contacted by the customer/builder and these may still be showing as plot addresses, which again causes a problem.

Also new build accounts may not have been registered with us until the builder informs us of all of the property details etc, therefore bills won't have been sent.

I understand that this is a horrible situation to be in and this is why I have recommended the Directors' Office as they are the best people to help with these sorts of issues.

Also as I just don't know the full details and these sorts of issues are complicated I can only give a bit of general advice and can only speculate.

I hope you get things sorted OP.

Amy

Agree with the above

Eon know the address so should have been address the bills to the occupier,, at least the occupiers would have a chance of sorting the bills out at an earlier date.

Eon seem to be in the right all the time, as far as they are concerned no middle way from experience.

good Luck and don't hold your breath.

Leakie

Agree with the above

Eon know the address so should have been address the bills to the occupier,, at least the occupiers would have a chance of sorting the bills out at an earlier date.

Eon seem to be in the right all the time, as far as they are concerned no middle way from experience.

good Luck and don't hold your breath.

Leakie

Hi Leakie,

Just to clarify if no one has told E.ON that a new tenant has moved in then the bills will keep going to the name of the old occupier as we wouldn't know to address this to any one else.

You are correct in saying that E.ON do know the address, as we have been billing this previously. But we do rely on customers informing us when they move in and out of properties to keep the accounts up to date and accurate.

If we have made errors on this account that that will be looked in to, but as I don't have the specific details I'm only really able to give a bit of general information and advice on this.

Amy

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I'll try to explain the nightmare I find myself in as best as I can-

In 2008, I moved into a new build property and upon starting the tenancy had a letter from the letting agency detailing who all the suppliers to the property were (names and telephone numbers). They said that they would be letting the companies know but we decided to call electricity (EDF) and other suppliers to provide meter readings etc.

Now, with EDF, we gave all our details and meter readings to the customer service person and when we did not hear any furthur, we got in touch with the letting agent so they could follow up as well.

No bills were forthcoming despite us trying and the letting agent although EDF did come round to take meter readings (the meter is outside the flat).

In mid-2011, we had a visit card from E-on's doorstep collectors for the occupier, stating that they were here to collect the unpaid bill. We called the quoted number in shock. Long story short - turns out EDF are not the supplier but E-On are! All parties concerned are clueless not least the letting agents, who are not managing the property anymore giving them all the more reason not to help! They have stated the do not have any records of letters from back in 2008!

Eon have sent us a letter stating that the backbilling rule doesnt apply to us as they have been taking meter readings every 3 months (we have never come across any eon representatives) and have been sending all the bills to a forwarding address the previous tenant had supplied! How do we know if this is even true? If they have been taking meter readings here, shouldnt they be sending the bills here? why is the doorstep collectors letter addressed to 'the occupier' (as opposed to the person who they have been sending the bills to?) Also, every time we call up eons customer services - they cant even find our flat on their system! We have to speak to a particular person (who wrote us the letter) at a particular extension number - who seems to be the only one who knows anything about us!

To date we havnt seen a bill, eon never wrote to this address and we have been completely led on by the estate agents and EDF. Where do we stand in this? cant think of how to pay the staggering bill when it arrives! Shouldnt they take some accountability? Isnt that what the billing code is for?

Sorry about having such a rant but hope someone can help so we can know where we stand!

Thanks in advance

The original post that says everything really ...