• Tweets

• Replying to above  this was on the day that two store detectives approached me and my friend and took us into the back room and spoke to us when they explained they have been watching
    • as my learned friend above...and.. sadly because just like DCA's and initially yourself in this case, you believed they have some magical powers ...they DON'T. 85% of people blindly pay DCA's cause they know no better and think they are BAILIFFS. only the RETAILER can ever do court and none have done this on a silly member of joe public that did something stupid since the infamous 2012 Oxford case on retail loss. BAILIFFS can only ever be involved after you've been to court and lost a CCJ, fat chance re above... and anyway, no BAILIFF has any right of forced entry anyway on consumer debts even with a judgement so......... stop panicking and thinking everything that doesn't apply.. forget about them but p'haps a confidential GP visit might be a very good move... what slightly concerns me more here is:  who are 'them' that told you they'd reviewed a week of CCTV and come up with several shoplifting instances over that time amounting to the above? have you directly contacted or had contact from Sainsbury's? and know they HAVE done this? or is this DWF willy waving and they tricked you into  admitting several previous successful thefts... this is not the norm...  dx      
    • next step then await the N157 from her local court giving the time and date of a future hearing some month in the future. now she MUST file a witness statement 14 days (typically) to both the court and kearns .  so cant allow to much of a time lag before you are aware of that and get her WS done. wack us up 2 multipage pdf files please  one of what they returned for the CRP reply . and one for everything they sent back in 2022 you've found.  we do not need statements. ideally it would be nice to see their WS before hers is finally filed. dx  
    • Another interesting article in the Grauniad - Counterfeit barcode stamps furore carries echoes of Horizon scandal | Consumer affairs | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Royal Mail admits its scanners ‘make mistakes’ but stands by the process it uses to detect fakes as ‘robust’  
    • DWF can't do anything as they act for a client. In this case, Sainsbury's. Sainsbury's could take you to court and ATTEMPT to get a CCJ but it's unlikely. They had no interest in dealing with you at the time. All DWF can do is send out pointless threatograms. They'll threaten to divert an Iranian drone to your house if you don't pay. However, they can't attempt to get a CCJ against you. IGNORE THEM. It's more important now to understand why you were allegedly shoplifting, and you should speak with your GP and try and get yourself signposted to the support that's available.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DWP Interview Under Caution

sinkinghelp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The magistrates probably thought, holy moly that dude wants to be crucified..

Only kidding , crown court is risky because one thing they can do is impose a greater sentence than magistrates. But then again issues where magistrates would be ok with, crown court wouldnt. Then there is the costs involved , magistrates is cheap.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070706102737AAFPuVh

bad monkey answer is rough and ready approximation.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

Thanks for the reply

I opted for Crown Court it is a risk but I need the input of professional people and ordinary jurors to look openly at this case

The shock of today being told that it was a private prosecution brought by the Council and they were also including the DWP portion as well - especially nothing was stated on the summons

That did knock the wind out of my sails

I thought the DWP may have sent me a letter stating they intended to prosecute - but I never received one

regards

sinkinghelp

I have been on 3 jury,s sinkinghelp,I would say its your best option because unless you have uncontravertable evidence magistrates just take the prosecuters word and convict,whereas a jury looks at the evidence or should do.I was also on your side of a jury some 20 odd years ago and they saw right through the prosecution,s case and I won 12-0.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

Hello wobbly

Thanks for the reply

I am hoping that the crown court system will be better than the local hang em and flog em magistrates we have locally

I am also suprised the Crown Prosecution Service were not the prosecution today but a private solicitor on behalf of the council

thanks again

sinkinghelp

Hello folks

I have tried to gain some information from the DWP

I telephone my local jobcentre plus and also the Debt Management Centre at Mitcheldean

The staff were polite but both stated that with the limited information on the screen they had no information they could reveal as to why if I should or should not have been notified regarding the intended prosecution

I queried the fact that as I am in the Appeal stage of the decision yet they have pushed ahead for prosecution - again they could not answer

I also asked as to why the council were paying for a private prosecution and not using the CPS and the reply was the same

I expected as much but the staff were polite and suggested that it may be a case of writing in

I also challenged taking so much of my Incapacity Benefit and aagin I have to write in with an income and expenditure sheet so that I will get sorted

Anyone with any thoughts I would like to hear them

regards

sinkinghelp

Who does what in the court

A Crown Court:

• normally has a jury - which decides if you’re guilty or not
  • has a judge - who decides what sentence you get

https://www.gov.uk/courts/crown-court

So not all cases in front of crown court have a jury, but i think fraud is one of the cases where there will be a jury, best check with you legal dude to be safe.

Hello Zonker

Thanks for your reply

Its the why did the council opt for a private prosecution as opossed to the CPS and why the DWP never told me anything about the prosecution

I just cant seem to find an answer at the moment

regards

sinkinghelp

http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/benefits-and-council-tax/housing-benefit/overpayments.en

'Housing Benefit overpayments are a civil debt for which we can sue in the county or high court.'

Quote taken from cambridge council website. Hence no CPS involvement.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/housing-benefit/claims-processing/operational-manuals/overpayments-guide/

Hello zonker

Thanks for the reply all good stuff.

However the council issued a magistrates summons to be dealt with by way of a criminal prosecution

So I would have expected because the council have included the DWP interest a CPS prosecutor and not a local solicitor

thanks for the reply though

regards

sinkinghelp

Hi Sinking, Although I cant comment on why the DWP didn't summons you (because I dont know - not because I am hiding anything) it depends on who the lead organisation is.

The LA's that I am aware of have their own legal teams and solicitors who work for the council. They take the lead in magistrates in prosecuting cases. The DWP used to have their own but have recently merged with CPS.

When the DWP were the prosecuting authority they employed a local agent solicitor to prosecute on their behalf. Now that they are CPS, the DWP work is ringfenced and part of their duties is indeed to prosecute cases at Court. That does not mean that they are able to attend each Court and when they are not able to so they will still send a local agent solicitor to act on behalf of the CPS.

I wouldn't draw much inference from the appearance of a local solicitor as he could just be 'subcontracted' to work for the CPS or the LA

Hello

Many thanks for the reply and it makes sense to me which goes someway to answering my questions

As I am alleged to owe more to the DWP than the council I would have expected to receive documentation from DWP for prosecution but the summons was issued by the council and no where on it did it say DWP

I am still following the Appeal procedure with the council and DWP

My earlier posts regarding the telephone calls explain a bit more

It through my solicitor as well what happened in court

As time move towards the Crown Court next year I will hopefully get to grip on what is happening

thanks again for the reply

regards

sinkinghelp

From what i have understood so far, the council have been the driving force so far to get to court. Magistrates court would have been the court of choice for them. I think the council now have to go back and consider wether ther relatively small sum (you say about £2000, i think) justifies the expenses involved. I would imagine that there will now be a lot of talking by the council with the DWP to get them to take the lead from now and limit their costs. I realise that DWP are owed more, but you are paying that back already with most of your IB. Not sure if DWP wanted to go to court in the first place and not sure they would want to as they are getting money of you. I thought that would look bad in court.

I realise all this is alledged amounts , as you have said about this pension didnt matter according to the benfits agency at the time of applying.

Not sure if DWP wanted to go to court in the first place and not sure they would want to as they are getting money of you. I thought that would look bad in court.

They certainly would wan it to go to court for 13k! Even if the full over payment had been paid back a year ago I expect. It doesn't look bad in court at all. If they didn't prosecute just because people paid it back, people would risk claiming fraudulantly all the time & look on it as an interest free loan?

I'm more surprised the LA wanted to prosecute if the amount is down to 500, but it's not unheard of.

So sorry to hear it's still going on over a year later now sinkinghelp. I think you could be right about going to crown court, I would probably want the same. It's a shame there is no record of phone calls. Although I wonder if sometimes there is, pretty sure my council knew exactly what I was talking about when I said a guy in their dept told me something over the phone. The woman interviewing me under caution asked if I remember his name, but I don't remember what time I am supposed to be places these days let along 2 years ago. And I would never have thought to ask him at the time anyway. And they didn't take any further action with me.

Your best bet in that case would be a jury, it will be a case of convincing them this DWP employer told you that.

They do make mistakes, a friend of mine was NOT told by someone at DWP he could only keep proceeds of the sale of his house for 6 months whilst looking for another & at the 11th hour they found proof that he had let them know about this money, he opted for crown court like you, & I forget all the details & haven't spoken to him for a while but I am pretty sure it got thrown out of court.

His housing benefit over payment was reduced from 11k to under 1k I think because of him pushing for months to get them to accept that he would have had to use some of that money to pay full rent etc & support him & a child, which would have put him under the threshold for savings within a month, which would have had him back on IS which would have passported him to full housing benefit.

Sorry that was all a bit long winded wasn't it!

Just should have said really, if you are not guilty, fight all the way. It's exausting though i'm sure. You're stronger than you ever thought though ey!

Hello Zonker

Thanks for the reply

Absolutely correct with your reply. However in court the council prosecuter gave the council figure of just under £2,900 and the DWP amount of £14,000

However I do not owe the Council anything. After getting the Ombudsman involved there was some re calculation and that reduced and a friend paid the rest off so I owe them nothing

The DWP are indeed taking their repayments

I have been told that for the CPS to run there must be an 80% chance of conviction so this may be another reason the council paid for a private prosecution

thanks again

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello jadeybags

Again quite right in what you say. However posting on here has been a lifeline really. I have been so low because I was unsure of the way the systems work. Also the council have been evil. Because I refused to roll over from the beginning and bringing in the Ombudsman did not go down well at all. The council have been obstructive in everything they have done

The council will be begging the DWP to take the lead now I have no doubt as the cost for Crown Court will he huge looking at some court reports

What I have discovered along the way is that a conviction for fraud of any kind has a huge impact in other matters such as house and car insurance but that is to be researched later

I do take some strength from everyone who posts and I hope although this thread is long others have managed to gain some information

thanks

sinkinghelp

Hello all

Just been looking through my Courts and Tribunal Service paperwork which is 10 days time.

My Appeal which I made in July against the council is just being heard cant get Legal Aid and the local welfare rights have no one available plus the CAB cant help either

This should be interesting especialy as its the council pushing for a criminal conviction as well. They will come represented by a the same solicitor who I met in the magistrates the other day I have no doubt

So its on my own for this one !

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello all

Just been looking through my Courts and Tribunal Service paperwork which is 10 days time.

My Appeal which I made in July against the council is just being heard cant get Legal Aid and the local welfare rights have no one available plus the CAB cant help either

This should be interesting especialy as its the council pushing for a criminal conviction as well. They will come represented by a the same solicitor who I met in the magistrates the other day I have no doubt

So its on my own for this one !

regards

sinkinghelp

Make sure you have your case and arguments stated in writing.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hello

Thanks for the replies

I have submitted as per the Tribunals direction everything in writing that I want to try and get across but not being legally trained in all this it is a nightmare

I even asked my MP to ask the council to suspend any magistrates fraud action until after the Appeal but basically was told " jog on " we will do as we please ! Tribunal is civil the magistrates is criminal even though I think they are connected got no where with the council

Also still have an Appeal pending with DWP which it was such a HUGE shock to find out in Magistrates Court the council were prosecuting that for the DWP

I have to leave certain meds off or I cant reason properly when I am trying to put things together

thanks for the comments always helpfull as usuall

kind regards

sinkinghelp

Hello

Thanks for the replies

I have submitted as per the Tribunals direction everything in writing that I want to try and get across but not being legally trained in all this it is a nightmare

I even asked my MP to ask the council to suspend any magistrates fraud action until after the Appeal but basically was told " jog on " we will do as we please ! Tribunal is civil the magistrates is criminal even though I think they are connected got no where with the council

Also still have an Appeal pending with DWP which it was such a HUGE shock to find out in Magistrates Court the council were prosecuting that for the DWP

I have to leave certain meds off or I cant reason properly when I am trying to put things together

thanks for the comments always helpfull as usuall

kind regards

sinkinghelp

If the DWP and HB tribunal are regarding the same issue, you can ask, in writing, to have them heard at the same time by the same Tribunal.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hello estellyn

Thank you for the reply that was something else I have just learnt !

Sadly because of the way the council have processed my Appeal the DWP Appeal ended up way in front and was dealt with some time ago, which is why I am now waiting for a statement of reason from the Tribunal Judge so that decision can be challenged.

kind regards

sinkinghelp

Nick

This is something I know zero about, but at a guess, I would wonder if the council would send a criminal solicitor to a civil appeal. I would say: no. I stand to be corrected on this.

Also, and again it is only based on the vaguest of impressions, but because civil and criminal matters are separate but linked streams, I was under the impression that it is quite possible for a criminal matter to be heard before a civil matter, which is why it is important to get your appeal in ASAP.

Which is academic in your situation, I know. Still, if you have a separate council civil appeal coming up, then it might be worth trying to dissect what went wrong in your previous appeal.