• Tweets

• That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
    • Received a call and follow on confirmation email from the police about my cabinets! They wanted to confirm that I was prepared to support police action for the matter and that I would be happy to provide a statement and attend court at a later date!!! I think that something might actually get done - it won't get my cabinets back I know that but hopefully it will put a stop to this so called courier doing this to people!
    • Around a month ago I had to send a sympathy card to a friend in GB. Logistically it made sense to buy a personalised one on eBay and get it sent straight to my mate, rather than faffing around getting it sent to me.  This mighty purchase set me back all of £3.05 (including postage costs). I was taken aback that, when it was sent, I got a tracking number.  For a flippin' three-quid card!  I had no idea that technology had moved on so much and that tracking was so easy.  The shop has feedback for 16,300 purchases so tracking must be easy & automatic. It's unlikely your case will get to court, but in cases that do this got me thinking that we need to aggressively challenge the PPCs where they have lied about the timescales of sending their rubbish and have no proof at all of posting - when it would be so easy to provide it.
    • Thanks for uploading the appeal.  It was a waste of time but well done in not outing the driver. Why have your friends paid £60 they don't owe to a cowboy private company that have no means of making them pay as they don't do court?  If they paid by card, as I presume they did, they should get on to their bank and do a chargeback immediately. We call the £70 the Unicorn Food Tax.  The law specifically states they are only allowed to charge the original £100 but the PPCs and their bezzies in their trade associations allow this made-up extra £70 so £100 becomes £170.  Unfortunately for them the law doesn't. Anyway, snotty letter time. There is an example in post 32 here you can tweak as it's the same company but a different car park   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/463964-alliance-anpr-pcn-lease-car-appeals-refused-daymer-bay-cornwall/page/2/#comments  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DWP Interview Under Caution

sinkinghelp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello jen123

Thank you for responding to my post and I am indeed touched by the kind words. Well its Friday again and bad days for the post so I shall see what comes.

I received yesterday a lot of paperwork from the Tribunal Service which I have got to sit and complete and return within 14 days

It is lonely and of considerable stress and humiliation really.

But I have to battle on as I know what was I told by the DWP

thanks again

big hug back to you thanks

kind regards

sinkinghelp

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

Is there a set format or words that I can consider to use on the statment I have got to send to the Tribunal please

I feel this is my last chanceto get my point across.

The DWP file I have received they are sending to the Tribunal is some 280 pages long !!!!

Mainly DWP copies of documents and pages of pages of legal arguments and legal pleadings and direction

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello All

Is there a set format or words that I can consider to use on the statment I have got to send to the Tribunal please

I feel this is my last chanceto get my point across.

The DWP file I have received they are sending to the Tribunal is some 280 pages long !!!!

Mainly DWP copies of documents and pages of pages of legal arguments and legal pleadings and direction

regards

sinkinghelp

It should just be a simple form you need to return to Tribunals Service now - it asks if you want an oral or paper hearing and if you want an interpreter or can attend at short notice.

This gives you time to read the rest of the paperwork, and write a 'submission', which is a statement of your arguments as to why your appeal should be allowed (ie why you should win). Near the front of the pack of paperwork should be the DWP submission, which is their arguments as to why they should win - this is a good starting point.

We're here to help, you're not alone.

do you have a welfare rights or cab in your area?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hello folks

I have returned the document to the Tribunal and I have also sat an typed up what I think are pertinent points that seem to have been missed.

The copy documents I received from the DWP run to just under 300 pages !!!

There were copy documents of all the forms including the errors made on the telephone interviews and pages and pages and pages of law

So will have to wait and see now

I cant get legal aid yet the solicitor says as I am not on a passport benefit and I have also not been charged with an offence - yet !

Waiting for the postman to see what further bad news he brings today

thanks for the thoughts and support

kind regards

sinkinghelp

Hello folks

I have returned the document to the Tribunal and I have also sat an typed up what I think are pertinent points that seem to have been missed.

The copy documents I received from the DWP run to just under 300 pages !!!

There were copy documents of all the forms including the errors made on the telephone interviews and pages and pages and pages of law

So will have to wait and see now

I cant get legal aid yet the solicitor says as I am not on a passport benefit and I have also not been charged with an offence - yet !

Waiting for the postman to see what further bad news he brings today

thanks for the thoughts and support

kind regards

sinkinghelp

The solicitor is not who you need to be talking to about an appeal - you need an experienced welfare rights adviser who can prepare your case. Is there a CAB or Welfare rights near you? You don't always have to qualify for legal aid to get help via welfare rights or cab. You also don't HAVE to be a passported benefit to get legal aid!!

Hello folks

I have already returned the extra stuff I want to say about the DWP - and today the council wrote and told me that they are now also forwarding my Appeal to the Tribunal but it will not stop the prosecution process

I will give the welfare rights another shot but there hours have been drastically cut and every time I have been to CAB they just seem to have very little inspiration really

They are all so overwhelmed with people all wanting help

thanks though for the replies

regards

sinkinghelp

Hello folks

Well a chink of light - and I did say chink !!!!!

The Ombudsman has decided to formally write to my local council and ask for their response to very certain matters regarding the way they have dealt with me.

The Ombudsman has explained that they cant become involved in the legal process being followed by the DWP and the council but there is certainly enough for them to get some answers at long last

As I said only a chink of light but it was worth involving Ombudsman

kind regards

sinkinghelp

• 4 weeks later...

I would not hold out too much hope of a meaningful intervention from anyone. I would prepare for the long haul, trial and I fear, regardless of your defences, (I have not read all threads) a guilty verdict at magistrates because a finding of not guilty in BF cases @ magistrates court, is all-but unheard of and to me the system is nothing less than corrupt.

Magistrates take advantage of the fact that benefit claimants have a low social standing and low finances to afford a useful council and I perceived that claiming benefit is tantamount to dishonesty in the eyes of the courts, trust me, I know …

I was prosecuted in January because I dared to raise a judicial review against the DWP in respect to their reporting procedures for changes of circumstances. The JR was thrown out as criminal prosecution take precedents. The evidence against me amounted to a DWP assertion that I had not notified via telephone. But their reporting systems are designed not to provide claimants with the proof. I got a terrible legal aid lawyer who was too scared to ask for proper disclosures so I sacked him and represented myself but the court entirely ignored several calls for the DWP to disclose evidence and so I went to trial without the evidence to clear me and I was found guilty on the strength that I did not notify but the district judge then refused to justify 2 counts of benefit fraud in writing, shocking really.

I am at the appeal stage at crown but it is not looking that bright here either, they are combined courts now so they watch each others back I suppose. I had a similar dilemma re appeal tribunals but in the end I decided to abandon a tribunal appeal until I had cleared my name which rest assured I will unless I die trying. The problem with tribunals is that you are starting from an assertion that you are a fraudster and that certainly muddy waters for you and so DWP usually win such cases, at least that was the advice I received. Then, not only have you lost an overpayment argument but the DWP hold a negative outcome against you in the criminal prosecution too so better to clear your name at a criminal trial so you win the moral ground at tribunal? If you lose in magistrates and you are not prepared to carry on fighting then I would spare yourself from the wrath of a tribunal.

I hope to be found not guilty simply because I am not guilty but I am already maneuvering myself to ensure I can appeal to high court. Certainly I have a better chance at crown because they usually do need evidence unlike magistrates so I live in hope?

I intend suing the DWP and possibly the CPS too eventually as this has been a dirty affair which included investigators doctoring forms so check them 300 pages properly! I left teaching a couple of years ago after I had a mental breakdown for want of a better term so I was not well to start with. The capital which I was accused of not disclosing was an inheritance I had received just a few weeks before being hauled in for an IUC. I lost both my parents in 2010 but the DWP do not care, they are ruthless and corrupt and they have taken me to some very dark place over the last 2 years ........ good look but I think you might need it!

Perhaps I should add that it does depend on your chances of winning at tribunal .... in my case I took advice and I understood that paying off my mortgage (as I did) was on the face of it, not really allowed, but I decided securing my home for life was more important than means tested benefit over the short term as I start my teachers pension in 2015 and I could last until then (and as I am doing). By the way a paid back all the (arguable) overpayment but they still prosecuted me. I alway intended appealing to a tribunal and given the fact that I am severally disabled (physically) and that I would lose my home in 2017, I hoped for a favourable outcome but it is not straightforward in my case. The DWP said I should put the money in the bank and live on it while paying my mortgage but come 2017 I would not have had the money to pay off the mortgage and I would lose a home adapted for my access, crazy and somewhat unfair for the DWP to expect that I think?

As I am sure you understand, if a tribunal say you did not cause an overpayment then you cannot be criminally guilty but I did a lot of research and as I said it can backfire spectacularly. Magistrates are not obliged to wait for the outcome of an tribunal appeal but you can ask them to, in my case they accepted an application by my solicitor to wait post his sacking but on the day I was let down by welfare rights who failed to attend a hearing and my case it was found against me in the absence of a submission. Be careful as there is a conflict of interest using welfare rights as they are housed and funded by the council, the same people responsible for prosecutions. Try to get help from the CAB although I share your concerns regarding the interest they show. They have trainee solicitors who can be good if you can get them on your side, when I taught in college I secured good help from these people for students with problems? I have since had the right to a tribunal appeal reinstated but I prefer to wait until the end of the criminal prosecution for my situation. Incidentally, the prosecution barrister did tell the judge that I had lost my tribunal appeal and the judge made it known that it was held against me, as I say its a old dirty business.

This is not what you want to here at the moment, trust me, I am only too aware but I wish someone had wised me up and prepared me better for the rough ride ahead. Finally I will say that you too seem to have found a perplexity to write probably hundreds of pages to anyone who will listen but my advice is it will end up to be counter productive. I wrote letter after letter to ombudsman, MP's, the council, councillors and eventually their dogs but in the end you realise know-body is really listening and so that process itself makes you unwell. Even the courts and CPS will not reply to perfectly valid questions and requests, trust me and try to spare yourself the indignity and mental anguish it will surely eventually bring you!

If there is anything useful I can help you with just let me know and kind regards to you.

A final point to consider .... I found tribunals to be similar to criminal courts in as mush as level 1 tribunals are not too good at getting decisions legally right and they tend to decide on emotions rather than justice. I lost a tribunal 3 years ago when I came onto benefit .... I knew the decision was flawed so I appealed an appeal and won at tier 2 but that took best part of 18 months and the criminal courts will simply not wait that long so it throws up more problems. They may wait for a level 1, in fact the DWP might gladly approve it as they realise those odds are stacked in their favour, but they will not wait another 7 months for a re-appeal and so an appeal decision might be unfairly or wrongly held against you at magistrates .... you can of course appeal to crown on the strength that you are waiting on a tribunal tier 2 decision but you have to balance costs. I was fined £200 + £700 cost at magistrates but I am facing a further £2000 if I lose at crown and a further £5000 if I take it to high court and I have almost nothing in the way of savings and I do not even get means tested benefit to live on now. Never-the-less I am prepared to lose my home before I will give in to such intimidations so it is a no brainer. But I am single and so I do not have to consider the opinion of others which may have to be a consideration for you...... Sorry ..... I will try to think of something positive to say but I am not a magician!

My point estellyn is that a negative decision at tribunal WILL become a nail in the coffin in the criminal case, it happened to me so that is a fact. That said I realise that it entirely depends on the facts of your case and crucially the probability of you winning. That is why I took the time to explain that I do not have that strong a case at tribunal. My feelings are that when I overturn the criminal conviction (which I will) then I think I stand a good chance at tribunal but even then probably at tier 2? I agree that in most cases it will probably be the right decision to hear your tribunal case first but it is simply not the case that it is always the wisest choice!

SinkingHelp, I agree with estellyn (who has serious experience in the area and has shown great expertise on this forum): try and seek specialist advice from Welfare Rights if you can. It may be a hassle, but it is an avenue worth exploring with a specialist.

Hello everyone

SO many THANKS for the replies I have to be honest been keeping away from here and the internet as I am driving myself to even darker dispair reading stuff and as said above the whole system is to me designed and exploited by the DWP and Council legal systems in favour of them

I am just waiting to see what comes in the next post really

The Tribunal wont take long before its heard as I have opted not to go. I just could not cope with attending really

I do look forward to all your comments so please any help you can think of I would very much like to hear from you

kind regards

sinkinghelp

My point estellyn is that a negative decision at tribunal WILL become a nail in the coffin in the criminal case, it happened to me so that is a fact. That said I realise that it entirely depends on the facts of your case and crucially the probability of you winning. That is why I took the time to explain that I do not have that strong a case at tribunal. My feelings are that when I overturn the criminal conviction (which I will) then I think I stand a good chance at tribunal but even then probably at tier 2? I agree that in most cases it will probably be the right decision to hear your tribunal case first but it is simply not the case that it is always the wisest choice!

Sorry sledge, the results of a criminal case have no bearing on a Tribunal. Also the absolute time limit for appealling is 13 months from the initial decision. A negative result at Tribunal loses you nothing at all in a criminal case - its just confirming the original decision.

Sorry sledge, the results of a criminal case have no bearing on a Tribunal. Also the absolute time limit for appealling is 13 months from the initial decision. A negative result at Tribunal loses you nothing at all in a criminal case - its just confirming the original decision.

Procedurally you are absolutely right again but you seem to see the world with rose tinted spectacles in so much as to whether a tribunal might at the very least, subconsciously, treat someone less favourably if there is a notion of dishonesty involved in the case ....... why precisely do the DWP bother to provide the grounds of fraud in a submission to a tribunal when the facts are not under consideration .... muddy waters .....

Procedurally you are absolutely right again but you seem to see the world with rose tinted spectacles in so much as to whether a tribunal might at the very least, subconsciously, treat someone less favourably if there is a notion of dishonesty involved in the case ....... why precisely do the DWP bother to provide the grounds of fraud in a submission to a tribunal when the facts are not under consideration .... muddy waters .....

OK. This is how it works. The Tribunal hearing is to decide whether the benefit overpayment is lawful or not. They get lots and lots of overpayment cases to hear that have had IUC's with prosecution pending. If the Tribunal decides, based on facts of law that there is no overpayment - ie the law has been misapplied by the DWP, LA or HMRC (which happens quite a lot), then there is no criminal case, because no fraud has been committed. When you say you don't have a good case at Tribunal - is this bacause there is obvious guilt, or because innocence is difficult to prove? Overpayments can be caused in many different ways, and not all overpayments are fraud, but all frauds produce overpayments. Tribunal judges see plenty of cases with pending prosecution where they find, that in fact no overpayment or fraud has occured.

I don't see the world through 'rose tinted spectacles', but with the experience of 1000's of benefit cases and 100's of appeals. Tribunal judges look at the law involved and decide based on law - if they decide on anything else, then it is an error of law and their decision can be overturned by the upper tier Tribunal.

sledge9862, your judicial review argument sounds interesting, could you elaborate on what the skeleton of your argument was? and are you going to be using the same argument in the overpayment appeal? If you could get a precedent in this area, it would help a lot of people, including sinkinghelp!! love your fighting spirit!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks

MANY thanks for the help. I have received a reply from the DWP Appeal I submitted to be consiidered and the jusdge said in his report

" It was inherently Unlikely that I declared my pension "

and dismissed my Appeal

I have written to the Courts Service for a statment of Reason from the judge so I can hopefully find someone to go through it with me to see if I can further appeal

The Council are still plotting their submission to the courts service

The DWP want just under £14,000 from a six year period and the Council overpayment was just under £3,000 reduced by a friend to £500

The Council still intend to prosecute

The DWP still intend to prosecute

I am perhaps looking at custody if any of the internet reports I read are correct

So please keep posting someone may come along and be able to help. I am in Nottinghamshire by the way

kind regards

sinkinghelp......................................and sinking very quickly

Hello sadone

Thanks so much for the reply

With the way my luck is going anything possible !

I was lucky enough to be employed from 1973 to 2006 when serious illness struck.

Anyway as and when I get more information I will update the thread. IF anyone has any bits of law or anything that may help I would be gratefull if you posted up !

kind regards

sinkinghelp

Hi Nystagmite

The Judge said " Inherently Unlikely"

but as the HMRC and Court were made aware I did does go a little towards that I did not deliberatly mislead anyone or had any intention. 2006 to 2008 I really was reliant on professional help and the DWP person has really let me down. As there was no need to I did did not disclose

Then when the annual forms that I should have declared I didnt because I was told I did not have to. I suppose that is the proof

I will have to wait for the statement of reason from the Judge.

It would not happen now - but who else has been let down in this way according to DWP none if very few no such records exist I bet they dont !

thanks

sinkinghelp