Moorcroft doorstep collector. CAN ANYONE PLEASE OFFER SOME ADVICE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can anyone offer some urgent advice ?

A very stern Moorcroft debt collector has visited my home today looking for my Son. I asked if he was a debt collector or a bailiff and he sternly replied "The first one".

My son aged 22, has health problems and learning difficulties. As a result he cannot hold down a full time job and now works for just 90 minutes a day earning just £87 per week stacking shelves in a local shop.

Prior to working at the shop he wanted to start a small business as a market trader and purchased a small amount of stock. He went to Lloyds Bank to open a very basic bank account.

It is evident to anyone that through conversation it is easy to see that he has learning difficulties but the bank talked him into opening an account with a £1000 overdraft and sent him a credit card with £1000 limit. We tried to offer advice about being careful but before long he was spending the money on stock for his market stall.

The next thing we know is that he had spent all of the money on a business venture that was doomed from the very start.

Today 15th November 2011, I answered a knock on the door and was greeted by an arrogant little man who demanded to see my son. I explained that he wasn't in and I was handed a Moorcroft debt recovery card with the name of the collector (John) and a phone number on it. He asked when my son would be in and I truthfully replied that I did not know to which he sternly replied "I WILL BE BACK TONIGHT" I replied that I did not know what time my son would be back and he said abruptly "SEE YOU TONIGHT" as he walked down the drive.

I will not let me son see this bloke on his own because of his inability to understand what is being said. I am further concerned that because I suffer with Multiple Sclerosis and depressive illness so I have a limited income that they will demand payment from me that I cannot afford.

Can someone please tell me what to do.

The house is owned by our local Council so I don't know if I can legally stop him from calling as I do not own it.

Is there some sort of letter that I can give to him to stay away ?

Does he have any legal rights as he is not a bailiff ?

Finally if a Bailiff calls how do I prove that my son has no assets of his own ?

Can they take what is mine and how do I prove ownership ?.

Thanks.

UPDATE !

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice.

I will post the outcome of tonights visit on here. I've got a CAG letter printed ready to hand to him. He didn't give a reference or account number it just says John, being the representitives name along with a mobile phone number.

In view of this I have addressed and altered the template letter as follows....

Sons Name and address here

Moorcroft Debt Recovery LTD

Moorcroft House

P O Box No. 17

2 Spring gardens,

Stockport,

Cheshire,

SK1 4AJ

Dear Sir (John) or any other representative, agent or employee of Moorcroft Debt Recovery LTD weather employed or self employed.

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing by post that is delivered exclusively by the Royal Mail.

Alternatively you can contact me by e mail [email protected]

Please further be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Regards

M P

I have tried posting individual replies but I'm not to sure of how to use the website as yet so to ensure that you all see my reply I've added this message.

Thank you again to everyone that answered my request for help.

Edited by fight4myrights
Update to say thank you.

Hi fight

A really good guide, number 7 in my signature. If he calls tell him to go away, if he refuses just call the police. You might get court papers long before any bailiff calls. In the Library there is a Template that you can print off and hand to him. The Postman has more powers then a Doorstep Collector.

Don't worry about this at all, they can visit all they like, but like vampires, you don't have to open the door to them.

If I was you, I would send right now an email or fax to Moorcroft stating that you consider visits to your house to be harassment. Should they visit again, you will make a complaint to the police about their criminal act and you will also seek compensation for the distress caused to your sick self.

Check out the Protection from Harassment ACT 1997 . If you ask them to stop, They MUST stop otherwise they are comitting a criminal offence for which you can claim compensation :!::smile:

And just to add and hopefully give you a clearer legal understanding of this whole shady corrupt process of debt collection.

Firstly, this so called 'John' has absolutely zero legal rights or qualifications to be on your property demanding money by menaces, his blatant disregard for the law speaks volumes of the types of imbeciles that this circus outfit employ.

If he does decide to be so foolish as to turn up on your doorstep again this eve, then just inform him to leave your property or you will call the Police, if, as I suspect, he will be so foolish as to call your bluff and retort 'go on then', close the door and call the Police and report that there is a stranger on your property who will not leave when asked to do so, and you believe they will cause a breach of the peace.

You are both, in every sense of the word 'vulnerable adults' and you have a myriad of legal protection that these unqualified thugs don't, they have absolutely zero and i do mean zero, powers to do anything to anyone, they are NOT bailiffs, and any notion of such should be put to the back of your mind.

DO NOT, NEVER EVER, DEAL WITH FINANCIAL ISSUES ON YOUR DOORSTEP.

This little boy called John has no power to do anything to anyone, he will be the one falling foul of the law here, for intimidation and harassment if he isn't careful, if it put's your mind at rest, then by all means give your local Police station a call, and inform them of what you have said above, and that this thug is adamant that he will be returning this evening to attempt to talk to your son. Ensure you make them aware of both you and your son's disability, see what they advise.

Print this off & keep it by the front door if Mr too big for his boots turns up later.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members.

The letter is in the link above, third sentence down.

Deal with tonight first and then you can focus on the bank and taking them to task over their actions.

Debt collectors are NOT bailiffs, your postman has more legal powers than any DCA will ever have.

Your miles away from any bailiffs, and it is YOUR property, YOU have every right to say who you wish to speak to and invite into your home, just because the council own it makes no difference.

Now as for the bank that is a whole other raft of complaints there!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Personally i would contact the police now (not 999) to tell them what happened and how concerned you were by his tone/threats.

If this goon does actually turn up again tonight then tell him to go away and dial 999 if he refuses.

Thanks for asking, I really do appreciate the forum and everyones help.

He was supposed to come back again last night but as yet I am still waiting with my CAG letter ready to hand to him.

I will add updates on to the original listing if I am able to so that forum readers can see a running account of proceedings. I hope that other people in a similar position get reassurance from my experiences with Moorcroft etc.

Typical puerile empty threats spouted out of the mouths of willy wavers...what a prat. At least you now know just how these kinds of people operate, and the next time you see him, if at all, you can laugh at him because he can't even back up his own pathetic threats.

OK, so keep that letter by the door.

And now start your complaint with LTSB.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/contact_us/complaints_procedure.asp

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks Bazooka Boo,

I will be more confident now I understand how things work. To be honest I opened the door expecting a parcel delivery but all I got was a load of threats as at first the collector presumed the debt was mine until corrected. They were not violent threats but they had a strong aggressive tone of authority about him with statements of what his intentions were and that my Son must abide by his instructions as he needed a positive result to the matter. I said that my Son had no assets as I thought this bloke was a bailiff and he did nothing to say he wasn't a bailiff it was only when I started to think that I asked if he was a debt collector or a bailiff and my answer from him was abrupt, short and to the point by him saying "FIRST ONE (meaning a debt collector), I WILL BE BACK TONIGHT" as he walked away. He didn’t impersonate a bailiff but failed to say he wasn't one until I asked.

I will write to the LTSB about the account which my so opened when he was aged 19. The bank should have realised that offering him credit was wrong. I asked my Son to open an account but just a basic one with just cash point card and direct debit facilities which was written down for him so there would be no mistake of the type of account required. Because of his problems he just agreed to what they gave him. I asked him what the bank had said to him and apparently he was told that a free upgrade to a full account was the much better option for him rather than the one he had asked for.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone updated.

I seem to recall Moorcroft having a recent recruitment of commision only door steppers so you probably got a fresh faced oik with delusions of grandeur. They can’t make unannounced home visits without prior consent from you. Obviously they don’t tell you this fact and rely on people’s ignorance. Should he ever darken your doorstep again just hand him the letter, you could also remind him that he’s wasted his own time & fuel and his unlawful actions will be reported to all relevant authorities before shutting the door, as you laugh in his face.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense of him being on commision, it would account for his arrogant attitude.

It is now several days since he knocked on the door and he's not been back as yet. Now that I know how these things work has been a great help so I await his return with added confidence.

Thanks again.

I think that when he comes, I'll see what he's got to say before I give him the letter. I have loads of confidence now thanks to everyone who has offered their advice here on CAG, but I want to see just how far he is prepared to go with his lies.

My phone has voice recording facilities so I hope to record everything he says and see how far he is prepared to go with his threats.

I hope it records ok, I will put what he says on the forum in his exact words. I'll hand him the CAG template letter when he has verbally hung himself.

I will update as soon as I have more info.

Thanks again.

Glad you now have the confidence to stand up to these bullies. Your next target must be LTSB - you must complain about the treatment you have rec'd from them. I would insist they take the debt back in house.

Intend