• Tweets

• You will receive a Notice of Judgment with details of the judgment and payment details
    • Hello, welcome to CAG. It would be a good idea for you to read other shoplifting threads here to get an idea of how this works. The police won't get involved now, so no chance of arrest. You need to avoid that branch of John Lewis for a while though. Basically, John Lewis's security people will give your details to either a firm like Retail Loss prevention or DWF solicitors who will then write to you with scary-sounding letters to frighten you into paying them some kind of penalty. They have no legal power and can't take you to court, only John Lewis can. Last time we saw a retailer in court against shoplifters, it went very badly for them and we haven't seen a case like that since - over 10 years ago. But you need to figure out why you did this. If you need support, talk to your GP and aske them. They will have heard it all before and won't judge you. Best, HB  
    • In addition to the information you've been given above, I suggest that you spend some time reading up on the stories on this sub- forum. There is a lot of information about suing as an entitled third-party. Take a couple of days – and by Monday you will be much more confident. More in control and you will have fewer questions to ask but the questions that you do think up will probably be more relevant and more interesting to your case. Do the reading. This is always an essential first step   Additionally please can you give us more details. What was the item, was it correctly declared, was the value correctly declared, what was the value that was declared? Very importantly what date did you send it?
    • I got caught today shoplifting some shampoo & conditioner at John Lewis. I felt absolutely awful. The people were quite nice as I returned the items without any hesitation, gave them my name, address & DOB. They did not ask for official ID, and let me go after taking my picture and then handing me a paper saying I am banned for life. I just now read on the paper that they may share my details with third parties (police) and am extremely stressed. I've previously shoplifted, not at this John Lewis but others of their stores (an absolutely horrible habit made worse by cost of living crisis).... How likely is it that they will actually start an investigation for this offense? May I get arrested for this? While I was in the backroom, the security was quite nice and told me that no police would be involved unless I broke my ban.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The agreement they have sent in relation to s78 request was the one in post #9283. Thanks Tom.

There is no mention of rights to give data to a thrid party, yet alone sell the debt. Also is not selling the debt on to a third part effectively ending the agreement, and does not section 87 apply to this? (hence my question regarding notice).

87 Need for default notice

(1)
Service of a notice on the debtor
or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice”)
is necessary before the creditor
or owner
can become entitled
, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—
(a) to terminate the agreement,
or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

© to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as

terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

If it is not a termination, then it surely is varying the agreement, in which case s82 applies:

82 Variation of agreements

(1) Where, under a power contained in a regulated agreement, the creditor or owner varies the agreement, the
variation shall not take effect before notice of it is given to the debtor
or hirer in the prescribed manner.

Thanks Peter,

The copy they sent, makes no mention of any powers to transfer the account/debt to a third party. Section 11 in the T&Cs mention "the contractual T&Cs and other information(if any) relating to this agreement" being supplied in English, but none were sent with it.

As it happens, they have set the account to zero and as settled, and the DCA has not done anything yet, so in that respect they are OK.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

MoonHawk... it depends, LOL:)

Unless expressly prohibited in a contract, an assignment of a benefit of a contract is effective in law, as long as the formalities of the LPA 1925 are abided by. And, as I have stated elsewhere, this would give the asignee some legitimate reasons to process data...

My reading of the law is that only a creditor can issue a default notice, and that an asignee of the benefit of a creditor is not, in law, a creditor. Therefore, the assignee couldn't issue a meaningful default notice themself, although if I understand it correctly, assuming the assignment is legal (and not equitable) they would be able to record late payment info to your credit record.

The novation of a contract (that is, assigning the benefit and duties under a contract to a third party) would constitute a variation of the agreement under s82(1) as you say.

the assignment of a benefit does not IMHO constitute a variation of the agreement since the contract itself remains the same in law... such an assignment leaving both parties in essentially the same position with respect to each other...

In any case, it is perfectly legal for a creditor to terminate an agreement without a default as long as the requirements of the CCA 1974 are abided by (I leave it as an exercise for someone to determine the relevant section... I can't be bothered, off to bed LOL:) )

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what would be the period of notice be tom 14 days or one month

My copy of the act says 7 days. AFAIK, this hasn't been changed by CCA 2006. Then again, i would have thought they must have changed it to 14 days...

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thanks Tom. I am getting clearer I think ... and I am getting clearer that a lot of law is based on depends :)

Unless expressly prohibited in a contract, an assignment of a benefit of a contract is effective in law, as long as the formalities of the LPA 1925 are abided by. And, as I have stated elsewhere, this would give the asignee some legitimate reasons to process data...
If they have purchased the debt then I can see that they have some legitimate reason to process data.

The OC in this case has set the account as settled and set to zero balance with the CRAs, and since the debt is no longer with them, they can not add anything more.

My question is that in this case can the DCA set a new account in the CRA records and set it as defaulted when there is no agreement to default. They are trying their best to get a phone call to make an agreement, bit so far none has been reached.

My reading of the law is that only a creditor can issue a default notice, and that an asignee of the benefit of a creditor is not, in law, a creditor. Therefore, the assignee couldn't issue a meaningful default notice themself, although if I understand it correctly, assuming the assignment is legal (and not equitable) they would be able to record late payment info to your credit record.
Well they claim that the assignment was only of the benefits and that they are not responsible for the duties.

The novation of a contract (that is, assigning the benefit and duties under a contract to a third party) would constitute a variation of the agreement under s82(1) as you say.

the assignment of a benefit does not IMHO constitute a variation of the agreement since the contract itself remains the same in law... such an assignment leaving both parties in essentially the same position with respect to each other...

In any case, it is perfectly legal for a creditor to terminate an agreement without a default as long as the requirements of the CCA 1974 are abided by (I leave it as an exercise for someone to determine the relevant section... I can't be bothered, off to bed LOL:) )

OK that is how I understood it. The only problem is that they will not show the deed of assignment or documents relating to the transfer. They say they only bought the debt, and also threat further action.

I'll have to think of what to write to them, although I want to find out on what basis the OC sold the data to the insurance company, as nothing in the CCA allows them to do that.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

P.S. Good night :)

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

My question is that in this case can the DCA set a new account in the CRA records and set it as defaulted when there is no agreement to default. They are trying their best to get a phone call to make an agreement, bit so far none has been reached

that is a strange one moon was this an immediate default before any negotiations or notice...

also without the documents and notice ,surely you have a right to rescind the contract for non performance relating to The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 apply to agreements made on or after 1 July 1995. Under the Regulations, a term in an agreement that is ‘unfair’ within the Regulations will not be binding on a consumer. A term is ‘unfair’ if, contrary to good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations under the contract to the detriment of the consumer. However, a ‘core term’ which defines the main subject matter of the contract, such as the borrower’s obligation to repay the principal, will not be subject to the fairness test if that term is expressed in plain, intelligible language.

The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 restricts the ability of a party to limit its liability, including contractual liability. A party cannot limit its liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence and, where the other party is a consumer, can limit its liability for other damage caused by negligence or for breach of contract only insofar as the term satisfies a test of reasonableness set out in the Act would this not apply moon

Actually, it's worse than that. If the creditor terminates the credit agreement as a result of a defective default notice, that itself is a recission of contract, and would result in the debtor being able to claim damages under a variety of law.

The bank terminated an overdraft agreement under sec 76 and 98 on a defective default notice. Would it have the same consequencies has under sec 87

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Hi Patrick,

It may be a strange one, but most of teh ones that are sold on probablky are close to this.

Yes there was a default, but no notice, just payment demands, and then a failure to comply with CCA. I think thy think they complied because the sent me the one in post #9283.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

yes moon same as me the morgan stanley reply i got was just statements no contract no of the phone conversations etc,goldfish sent a response to my sar to MS 6 months later saying they complied with my sar....but MS defaulted me during insurance payments because insurance payment were late by a matter of 1/2 weeks i got two defaults...i am also wondering what the position is where goldfish took over the credit card payment from MS....so when i get out of hospital i will then start my thread on here ...

patrick

also if you remember on here somewhere about document reconstruction i have a page here for you to look at as i know goldfish are attempting to use this method because no agreements are available as morgan stanley was in the habit of shredding applications...[email protected]

patrickq1

The bank terminated an overdraft agreement under sec 76 and 98 on a defective default notice. Would it have the same consequencies has under sec 87

Paul

Hi

As sated earlier section 76 is for enforcing a term within the agreement not for enforceing a default and section 98 is for use in one default cases and i think the one that tom was refering to earlier when he mentioned the ability for the creditor to terminate an account.

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Let me get this straight:

In the case where a person recieves a Default Notice for £8000, later on they discover from a consumer website that this figure includes £5000 of unlawful charges and interest levied thereon.

With the help of members of this hypothetical website this person makes a succesfull legal action to have this £5000 removed from the balance.

The balance is now £3000 and the Credit Agreement is unenforcable due to it merely being an application form and the Prescribed Terms in the T&Cs being wrong anyway.

The Default Notice was for £8000.

May I take it that this Default Notice is now void?

Hi

As sated earlier section 76 is for enforcing a term within the agreement not for enforceing a default and section 98 is for use in one default cases and i think the one that tom was refering to earlier when he mentioned the ability for the creditor to terminate an account.

Regards

Peter

What i'm getting at Peter is if a sum was incorrect in a sec 76 notice would the creditor be able to take the next step, ie obtain a judgment.

Winston Churchill

Hi

JUst to point out that as correctly stated the assignment of the rights and duties would constitue a variation, the ability to perform this action would have to be mentioned in the agreement and it would be unlikely if not impossible for the creditor to assign soley the debt an an active aggreement.

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi Paul

No they would not the outcome for the creditor would be as stated earlier be that he would be open for litigation if he did.

In this respect all three of the sections mentioned are similar.

The thing I was tryng to make clear for any one else reading this is that section 76 is there to enable the creditor to enforce a term within the agreement like"if the debtor does not do this within this time period then the creditor can take this action".Wheras section 87 is there to enable the creditor to default the account after a breach of the contract and therby enable him to leagally terminate it.

Bes regards

Petr

Thanks Peter, it's just that i have an hearing date next Wednesday and need to dot the I's and cross the T's.

If a judgment was obtained on the back of a defective notice then the judgment could be challenged on this basis.

Paul

Winston Churchill

Lord justice Kennedy Woodseets v Swaine 1998- issue sec 87 default notice

CONCLUSION

In my judgment, Mr Hodgkinson is right for the reasons which he has given. This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals. When contracting with a large financial organisation they are at a disadvantage. The contract is likely to be in standard form and relatively complex with a number of detailed provisions. If the hirer is said to have broken its terms, the hirer needs to know precisely what he or she is said to have done wrong and what he or she needs to do to put matters right. The lender has the ability and the resources to give that information with precision. If he does not do so accurately then he cannot take what Mr Gruffyd conveniently referred to as "the next step".

• Haha 1

Winston Churchill

JUst to point out that as correctly stated the assignment of the rights and duties would constitue a variation, the ability to perform this action would have to be mentioned in the agreement and it would be unlikely if not impossible for the creditor to assign soley the debt an an active aggreement.

Thanks Peter,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by assignning solely the debt on an active agreement? How can we know what state the agreement is in, if there was no default notice and the debt was sold on, and the buyer of the debt says they only bought the "debt" and not the "duties" (although some also go on to cheekily say they also have rights to apply interest according to the original agreement). My assumption was that the original contract ends if they sell the debt, but I am not sure now.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

For anyone that is having problems with MBNA and Trading Standards, regarding their Consumer Credit Agreements.

Please click on the following link:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/115323-complaint-re-chester-trading.html

Love

Angry Cat

Wanna put this link on the thread I started re TS in general AC

Trading Standards 'Good un or Bad un'

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

Hello

Have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. All of you sound so knowledgable! Can I dig your brains on a general query - Debtor fell into arrears, set up a payment plan with creditor. Creditor terminated account, withdrew credit facility, freezes interest. Payment plan ends, debtor keeps up with payments. Creditor decides to start adding contractual interest as per T & C of agreement, yet not providing any credit facility. Isn't this unfair relationship beteween creditor & debtor under the CCA 2006? Is it legal for a Creditor to do this?

Hello

Have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. All of you sound so knowledgable! Can I dig your brains on a general query - Debtor fell into arrears, set up a payment plan with creditor. Creditor terminated account, withdrew credit facility, freezes interest. Payment plan ends, debtor keeps up with payments. Creditor decides to start adding contractual interest as per T & C of agreement, yet not providing any credit facility. Isn't this unfair relationship beteween creditor & debtor under the CCA 2006? Is it legal for a Creditor to do this?

would be better to explain who what and where,and what t&c s you are working of more explaination would help before comments thanks

patrickq1

Hello

would be better to explain who what and where,and what t&c s you are working of more explaination would help before comments thanks

patrickq1

Sorry guys, but another question to try and clarify the legalities around registering with CRAs. Reading Toms earlier post #9291 does not make me any clearer in relation to this scenario.

The debt is sold to a DCA and the words used are "the account you held was purchased" and "legal owner of the account" and "entitled to enforce the original terms of the credit agreement". At the same time they say they are not responsible for under section 77/78 to provide the documents but they will out of the kindness of their heart get it from the OC (I'll deal with their inconsistencies in a nice letter later). They then send an application form, same as what the OC did before .. no CCA.

Now the CRA record for the account with the OC has disappeared and a new account has appeared belonging to the DCA with a brand new account number, but start date of the old account. All other payments etc have vanished.

My question is twofold, in respect to the two possible scenarios:

1) If the transfer was a full assignment, should it not carry on from the old account's records, with just the creditor changed?

2) If it is not a full assignment can the DCA register a new account at all just for the debt, when there is no agreement/account? And if they are allowed to do so, then I can not see how they can register a default or a late payment when there is no agreement made to pay?

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks