• Tweets

• Thank you honeybee if you would my head is mashed now. You guys our savers.  H
    • You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Paul.... I'm sure that this hapens in a lot of cases......we need to educate people.

I am in the process of having a go a over 5-7 creditors.....none of them seem to have a decent cca agreement. I am refusing to pay anything until I see a copy of the original, if they want to take it to court, that is their problem. they can explain to the judge why they didnt supply me with the original copy. The worst that can happen is the judge bollocks them and I get on a payment plan....the best is they dont have the agreement and the judge bollocks them and I walk away smiling. either way its a sort of win / win

you pays yer money and you takes yer chance :)

Dave

Well Put Dave:)

I am doing the same.

HAK

Me too:D

Me too!

Maybe we should start a club!?

;)

Is this my mistake????

I have received no agreements from the creditors I have sent CCA requests. Other creditors are being very unhelpful with various requests.

However I am in a DMP with CCCS and have been paying it for over a year now !!!

Perhaps I should stop all payments and then perhaps I might get replies and results?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/107261-chalkitup-dcas-4.html

Onwards and Upwards.

Chalkitup

Quick question, can someone point me to the part of the agreement, that says while an account is in dispute, the creditor can not enforce the agreement, ask for payment or issue a default.

Thanks

Depends on what you mean by dispute - can you elaborate?

If you've asked for a copy of the agreement and other info, which hasn't been provided;

s.77(4) - running account credit

s.78(6) - fixed term credit

Some other disputes come under the OFT Debt collection guidelines and the Banking Code.

from experian website -

The account is in default. You failed to keep to your credit agreement and have not responded satisfactorily to requests to put your account in order, so the credit agreement has ended. -

this is status code 8, according to experian this is what this means, so why do creditors mark files as defaulted when they have missed afew payments, are continuing to pay and agreement is still live, several creditors argue they have a right to mark files as defaulted without the need for a default notice if you miss payments but this seems not to be the appropriate re above information from their website.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Maybelline - I think this is the difference between "default" and "Default". (Bear with me!)

Being in "default" means that you have breached your agreement.

Being in "Default" means they have followed the Default process outlined in the CCA s.87-s.90-odd.

Experian seems to suggest that being in default by 8 or more payments is the equivilent of being Defaulted - I don't know where they get this from, but it could be because the majority of their customers Default you before you get to the default status of 8, or they are simply explaining that a default status of 8 is equivilent of a Default being recorded against you on a credit score?

Depends on what you mean by dispute - can you elaborate?

If you've asked for a copy of the agreement and other info, which hasn't been provided;

s.77(4) - running account credit

s.78(6) - fixed term credit

Some other disputes come under the OFT Debt collection guidelines and the Banking Code.

I sent Citi a cca back in June/July, they sent me a letter saying they didnt have to send a copy of the agreement etc.

They started to ring me again, so i sent them a letter stating that my account is in dispute, due to the lack of agreement. Now i have just received a default notice.

I know that when they dont supply the agreement, they cannot enforce the agreement or issue a default, im composing a letter back to them, but i cant find the info i want, i want to quote the section number etc.

I also want to complain to someone to, but dont really know who to complain to.

Depends when the agreement was signed, Patrick - there is the 2006 Act to consider, depending on the date signed.

thanks car

the legal mortgage was signed in 1990

dispute began in 1992.not heard from the bank since 1993

so still researching the statute barred and reading the contract as well as typing it into ms word so i can post it here to see if it is worth a fight

patrick

Maybelline - I think this is the different between "default" and "Default". (Bear with me!)

Being in "default" means that you have breached your agreement.

Being in "Default" means they have followed the Default process outlined in the CCA s.87-s.90-odd.

Experian seems to suggest that being in default by 8 or more payments is the equivilent of being Defaulted - I don't know where they get this from, but it could be because the majority of their customers Default you before you get to the default status of 8, or they are simply explaining that a default status of 8 is equivilent of a Default being recorded against you on a credit score?

yes, I see what you mean but I do feel it is less than clear exactly what experian think a default is, when a default notice is processed it has to be set out in a certain way with notice of what action is necessary to prevent their action against you (is it this that then gets recorded even ifyou meet all themissing payments and then continue as normal and if so why?) isnt the default noitce meant to provide certain remedies on both sides as it is indeed a 'notice' of intention - why not just record a 3 or 4 if this amount of payments are missed, it seems they want their cake and eat it to me?

also - lets not forget experian state 'the credit agreement has ended' ?????

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

You'll find the templates here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

The CCA s.77/s.78 request is letter N

A couple of questions about CCA requests....

Firstly, concerning the template referred to above .. (letter N); Are there different types of CCA? (credit card, personal loan, catalogue finance and bank accounts).

If so, will the above template meet the requirement for each of them?

Secondly, What action do I take if I get no response from the creditor after I make a CCA request?

I apologise if these questions are elementary, but I have only just taken my head out the sand!

boa ..

It's difficult to remember that when you're up to your arse in crocodiles your objective was to drain the swamp.

A couple of questions about CCA requests....

Firstly, concerning the template referred to above .. (letter N); Are there different types of CCA? (credit card, personal loan, catalogue finance and bank accounts).

If so, will the above template meet the requirement for each of them?

Secondly, What action do I take if I get no response from the creditor after I make a CCA request?

I apologise if these questions are elementary, but I have only just taken my head out the sand!

boa ..

Hey!

There are different types of agreements, but the template covers all personal credit agreements covered by the CCA.

You wouldn't take any action, as they would be in default of your request and couldn't enforce the agreement. (I suppose the action you'd take would be to stop making payments!)

You would really be better off starting your own thread - preferably one thread for each claim/case/creditor - then you can get specific help on each case, given each one has different merits and possibly different law/regulations that applies to it.

I've said it before & I'll say it again that IMHO whilst a document meant to be CCA s77-79 compliant may be reconstructed it may NOT be conjectured as the information contained therein must be a true representation of the original.:D

Which beggars the question as to why would a creditor provide a reconstructed copy when it would be much easier, & cheaper, to provide a copy of the original?:confused:

Perhaps they have disposed of the original, silly billy's:D :D

I may seem unreal but consider

Maybe it's because as people keep forgetting they don't want you to see the original terms and conditions

remember the original terms and conditions (see section 78 are just as important as the front of any agreement and "law" applies to both sides of a piece of paper.

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

I sent Citi a cca back in June/July, they sent me a letter saying they didnt have to send a copy of the agreement etc.

They started to ring me again, so i sent them a letter stating that my account is in dispute, due to the lack of agreement. Now i have just received a default notice.

I know that when they dont supply the agreement, they cannot enforce the agreement or issue a default, im composing a letter back to them, but i cant find the info i want, i want to quote the section number etc.

I also want to complain to someone to, but dont really know who to complain to.

Same story here. Did you get a patronising, typo-filled letter from the (in)famous Mr Smith claiming the letter from them was a mistake? He did not even have the courtesy to respond to my reply!

I am composing letters to OFT, TS and FOS (not that they wil do any good). I am actually looking forward to Citi trying to take me to court so I can make them look VERY stupid!

S 78(6) says that the agreement is unenforceable whilst their defsult continues. Also, remember that S172 says that any statement they make in response to a S78 request is binding upon them. I've got them over at least two barrels!

Quick question, can someone point me to the part of the agreement, that says while an account is in dispute, the creditor can not enforce the agreement, ask for payment or issue a default.

Thanks

HI

The term "enforce" as refrred to within section 77 the CCA refers to the mechanism used to legally pursue the party responsible for a breach.

If a creditor has breached the act and the act says they can not enforce this does not mean they cannot ask for payment just that they cannot use the act to pursue it through the courts.

Also it is an offence to threaten court proceedings when they cannot enforce.

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi Regarding the above if you are builcing a case this letter may be of use i have ohighlighted the relevant bits

Department of business enterprise and regulatory reform

Gareth Tomas MP

Parliamentary under secretary of State for the Trade and Consumer affairs

Dear James (My MP)

RE: consumer credit act 1974

Thank you for your letter of 26 June to Alistair Darling, enclosing correspundence from your constituent, Mr. Peter Bardsley of ************ ,about the consumer credit act 1974.

I am replying as this falls within my portfolio. I apologise for the delay in replying.

Mtr Bardsley is concerned that sections 77-79 of the act are being inadequately enforced. To recap, these sections are designed to assist debtors who need a copy of their credit agreement. The Act requires that the lender must comply with such request within the prescribed period of 12 working days. If a lender cannot comply with the request, they cannot enforce the agreement whilst this default continues.

My officials have spoken to their counterparts at the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and in the local Authorities coordination of Regulatory reform Services (Lacors) to get their view on Mr Bardsley’s concern. Both bodies are aware of complaints that have been lodged in respect of these provisions and I am assured that both OFT and Lacors take individual complaints such as these complaints seriously.

However, this does not necessarily mean that enforcement action will automatically be taken. Any decision to prosecute would be have to be proportionate to any offence actually committed and be based on a number of factors, in particular the level of detriment suffered by the consumer. As a general rule it would not be considered a proportionate response to immediately prosecute for such a breach, but it may be appropriate for the enforcement office to provide advice to the creditor and to assess their processes and procedures.

I think a key point in the cases raised by Mr Bardsley is that if a lender is unable to satisfy their obligations in respect of a request made under sections 77 or 78 then, as mentioned above, the debt cannot be enforced through the courts until the default is remedied. It does not mean that the debt is automatically void or that the lender is unable to seek to recover legitimately owed debts. However, as with any debt recovery situation, lenders need to make sure they comply with OFT guidelines on debt collection. The guidance sets out what the OFT guidelines on debt collection. The guidance sets out what the OFT considers to be unfair practices in relation to debt collection and such practices include falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally cannot.

Further details on the guidance can be found at WWW.oft .gov.uk/advice.

Should Mr Bardsley wish to make comment on non-compliance with the OFT’s guidance he can e-mail them at debtcollectionguidance@of t.gsi.gov.uk or telephone on 020 7211 5823

Yours sincerely

Gareth Thomas

• Haha 1

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

i have e mailed the above address debt collections guidance concerning HFO SERVICES see what they have to say peter but reading the letter you received its looking like a general fob off and as for mr darling,he would nt know what to do accept to see if its beneficial to himself,as you know the goverment and official bodies are not making it clear enough and are turning a blind eye to the abuse that a lot of us suffer

patrickq1

• Haha 1

hi patrickq1,

nice to see u back here, hope ur recovery's going ok, guess it back to the fight now then hey!

kind regards,

shane

• Haha 1

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

yes shane i am about five weeks out of hospital and the twin bypass went well,though i am still as sore as hell,i did not realise just how big the op was,i honestly thought an hour an i'll be out an about,6 hours ,my heart stopped once and next i need a heart bypass which will be around about next april when i get fit enough so i still have to take it easy.....but i have started now and got most of the data i needed concerning the mortgage...they are out of time statute barred,so that wipes 14 thou plus intrest perday conpounded since 1993....great news for me so i can have a reasonable xmas

next ones HFO/MORGAN STANLEY/GOLDFISH

i sent the HFO a CCA round about the 27 nov so they are now in default and no contract since sar MORGAN STANLEY IN APRIL 06 so they have commited an offence..so after that all debts are clear eccept HFC who we had to borrow of some two months ago and used a third of the money to clear their debt,due to not being able to claim INCAPACITY BENIFIT ,the DWP doctors found me fit and put me down as being a malingerer ,they have not said so but i think that was the reason..so i claimed from the DWP under the FOI ACT some 4 months ago and they have failed to comply so i have sent my complaint to the ICO concerning them for breaching my FOI lol what a story,,,malingerer i could nt walk for over 11 months i have a specialist report and it has been going on this arterial disease for six years..so i am gonna try an claim from 2004 INCAPACITY BENEFIT if i can during all this time i missed paying nine stamps due to a real mix up with my accountant,still at least my home is now safe and that was my biggest worry,really good to see you back on line,im off to kipperino now get tired so easy so see ya tomoz mate

patrickq1

• Haha 1

Good god. I have so many pages to catch up on :eek:

Hi guys, I would appreciate some input regarding an application/agreement from GE Money on the thread Link Financial / GE Money (Evans).

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

Mtr Bardsley is concerned that sections 77-79 of the act are being inadequately enforced. To recap, these sections are designed to assist debtors who need a copy of their credit agreement. The Act requires that the lender must comply with such request within the prescribed period of 12 working days. If a lender cannot comply with the request, they cannot enforce the agreement whilst this default continues.

I think a key point in the cases raised by Mr Bardsley is that if a lender is unable to satisfy their obligations in respect of a request made under sections 77 or 78 then, as mentioned above, the debt cannot be enforced through the courts until the default is remedied. It does not mean that the debt is automatically void or that the lender is unable to seek to recover legitimately owed debts.

Just a tad contradictory, Mr. Thomas.... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

the thing is - there is case law thanks to mrs wilson in that 5 lords have all agreed that if an agreement that does not have all/any prescribed terms is held then it has always been unenforcable, from the beginning of the agreement.

would this case law not supercede anything said by MP's?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

In my view there is no contradiction if you consider the definition of "enforce". They can not force you or pressure you into paying, nor can they use the courts to seek a remedy. They can keep sending you reminders that there is a debt, and they can keep asking you if you would like to pay anything. It is a matter of how they go about this and what wording they use that makes it an attempt to enforce or not.

The law does not say they are not able to contact you nor does it say they can not ask if you would like to pay. You can in return just say no and ask that they only deal with you in writing. You can then choose to ignore the letters or treat them as a pen pal.

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks