• Tweets

• Farage rails and whines about not being allowed on the BBC ... ... but pulls out at the last minute of a BBC Panorama interview special. It was denied it was anything to do with his candidates being outed as misogynists and Putin apologists, or that farage was afraid Nick Robinson might throw some difficult questions at him ... despite farages recent practice at quickly cowering in fear.   It was claimed 'it wasn't in Nigels diary'     Nigel Farage pulls out of BBC interview at last minute amid Hitler row WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘Panorama’ special postponed as Reform UK party faces row over candidate who claimed UK would have been ‘better off’ if it had...   Waaahhhh
    • i'd say put lowells to strict proof of where the payment came from. cant hurt to send SB letter, even if proved not. at least they get your correct address. they'd have to link the old IVA times scale to a payment  these IVA F&F pots (if thats where it came from) most mugs dont even know they are not only taking most of your payments on fees but also creaming money off to supposedly offer F&F's.  funny when the IVA fails or is complete these sums of money in F&F pots never get given back or even mentions... these IVA firm directors esp with regard to knightsbridge and creditfix were fined and struck off more times than Paul Burdell of Link Fame and still managed to continue to scam people.
    • Hi everyone, I received a charge certificate with a charge of £165  in April 2022 however I never received a PCN and NTO before that. I responded by requesting original PCN reissued in the hope of getting discounted rate which was refused however I was offered to pay £110. I received an Order of Recovery in May 2023 and submitted a witness statement on time by email to get the original PCN re-issued. I received a Notice of Enforcement in February 2024 I contacted TEC that I had submitted TE9 on time and they advised me to submit a late witness statement and TE7. I did as advised and also attached the original email and witness statement as proof to show that I had submitted my witness statement on time. The council disputed my late witness statement by saying that I likely received the PCN and that I did not submit a valid late witness statement without specifying why it's not valid. The court refused my late witness statement without giving any reasoning behind their decision (so much for the transparency). This is really outrageous as I did attach the proof of submitting the witness statement on time and it seems like the court just decided without looking at the case files. Can someone please advise me what should I do now? Any help is appreciated. I have attached all the documents below.   Documents.pdf
    • Will the real criminals please stand   Biden 🤣GUILTY on all counts    Come September remember Americans don’t like tax dodgers 🤣
    • You of course ignore the fact that Farage actually helped raise £100,000 so that WW11 Veterans could actually attend the celebrations    Meanwhile oh to be in France 🤣  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Successful Claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I have a query which perhaps someone might be able to help with. I was thinking of going into my bank of Scotland branch tomorrow to sit down with my manager and ask for the charges to be refunded. Not a lot as it amounts to aprox £250 to £300 since been with them. I’m assuming since I have only been with them aprox 3 years the manager can surely look this up on the computer to see. I’m hoping (fingers crossed) the same manager can then put this refund thru the same day.

But I'll have more coming as I just had to go over my arranged overdraft while on the ferry to Ireland this week - oops!

My question to you is would I be wasting my time in doing it face to face or should I do it via the letter form?

Kind regards,

Patrick

Just recieved a letter from HBOS offering me a full settlement of £685 after sending an LBA. Very pleased, will donate as soon as my cheque arrives!

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

i would do in writing then you have evidence you have done it, and they have to reply!!!

HALIFAX: PRE 6 year claim 1991-2006 WON 21/3/07 £2616

CAPITAL 1 - WON 19/3/07 £800.22

CAPITAL 1 - WON 19/3/07 £325.75

AQUA - MCOL 2/3/07 £172.79

ABBEY - MCOL 2/3/07 £261.37

HALIFAX VISA - WON default removal 19/3/07

PARAGON - LBA 11/3/07

CABOT -SAR 26/2/07

ROCKWELL -OFFER 20/2/07

GMAC -MCOL 7/2/07 £189.85

WESTCOT - SAR 25/2/07

Thanks for the advice as this is what I'll do and it's a case of watch this space.

i would do in writing then you have evidence you have done it, and they have to reply!!!

Hello again,

Can I claim from a closed bank account which is also with the same bank and just closed aprox 6 months ago?:?

Yes you can claim form a closed bank account-go get it!

Prelim Sent -27/02/07....

Response Letter rec'd -13/03/07....

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Offer received(10p/cent short)-declined for full amount-28/03/07

Success FULL 6yr amount offered-29/03/07:D

........not yet received because they want me to accept conditions!!:(

It'll be worth the wait:D

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

PS, Chancer

You should start a thread in your own bank link and there you will get all the help, advice and support you need.

This one is for 'Successful Claims'

Good Luck

Change-it

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Thanks again for the feedback. As you probably have guessed I'm new to this. Would you mind telling me how do I go about opening my own bank link like you suggested? :confused:

PS, Chancer

You should start a thread in your own bank link and there you will get all the help, advice and support you need.

This one is for 'Successful Claims'

Good Luck

Change-it

No probs -we've all been there too!

Just halifax-bank-bank-scotland/ and start a new thread and then you'll get all the help you need .Everyone is great.Just ask for help and someone will always give you a reply.

LBA Sent -15/03/07...

Court claim due-30/03/07

Once again thanks for the advice and I'll try that out.;)

No probs -we've all been there too!

Just halifax-bank-bank-scotland/ and start a new thread and then you'll get all the help you need .Everyone is great.Just ask for help and someone will always give you a reply.

Personal family trouble (dad on life support) means I accepted.

Offer of £945 (about that)

Telephoned and spoke to Lynn

Offer accepted as partial payment - WILL be continue with claim

Offer raised (over phone) to £1500

Offer ACCEPTED 14th March

Claim Stopped - I won (accepted offer) - £1500 for a £1609 claim

Fair play and congrats on the victory. Hope things goes welll for your Dad.

Personal family trouble (dad on life support) means I accepted.

Offer of £945 (about that)

Telephoned and spoke to Lynn

Offer accepted as partial payment - WILL be continue with claim

Offer raised (over phone) to £1500

Offer ACCEPTED 14th March

Claim Stopped - I won (accepted offer) - £1500 for a £1609 claim

Woooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

After sending Prelim letter,LBa,i decided to wait 8 weeks for the answer from the bank,which was up today.This morning got letter saying tha they are still loking at my claim,so decided to file MCOL.I submited my claim and after 5 min ,phone rang........gues who?A customer relations manager,ofering me £3000.

My claim through MCOL came to £4497,so I said no,cause just filed in court,so he said £4000!

So I said ok,letter in post for settlement,he said!

Phoned MCOL,explained ,and they will refund me £120,as the claim didn't go ahead yet!

In total £4120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I hope Evrybody gets it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donation as soon as get the money in acc.

Thank you ,guys!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't do it witjout you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

vbrep_register("648394")progress.gif

Hi there. I have just WON against Halifax. Yipeeeeeeeeee

Prelim Letter:- 03.03.07

Offer full amount £761.00 today 16.03.07 accepted

p.s just donated 5% to you wonderful people.

Thanks a bunch you have been amazing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Congrats. :D

Hi there. I have just WON against Halifax. Yipeeeeeeeeee

Prelim Letter:- 03.03.07

Offer full amount £761.00 today 16.03.07 accepted

p.s just donated 5% to you wonderful people.

Thanks a bunch you have been amazing

Congrats. :D

Woooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

After sending Prelim letter,LBa,i decided to wait 8 weeks for the answer from the bank,which was up today.This morning got letter saying tha they are still loking at my claim,so decided to file MCOL.I submited my claim and after 5 min ,phone rang........gues who?A customer relations manager,ofering me £3000.

My claim through MCOL came to £4497,so I said no,cause just filed in court,so he said £4000!

So I said ok,letter in post for settlement,he said!

Phoned MCOL,explained ,and they will refund me £120,as the claim didn't go ahead yet!

In total £4120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I hope Evrybody gets it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donation as soon as get the money in acc.

Thank you ,guys!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't do it witjout you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

vbrep_register("648394")progress.gif

I made my monthly payment to Halifax one day late, as I had to take my wife to hospital.

When I received my next statement, it showed a £12.00 late payment fee.

I wrote to them demanding this back and got the standard rejection letter.

I then sent the following letter and had a refund from them the day after they received it.

It's only £12.00, but it takes me 2 hours to earn that much!

(Copy of letter)

COMPLAINT

Kelly Duffy

Senior Customer Relations Manager

Executive Office

Customer Relations

Pitreavie Business Park

Dunfermline

Fife

KY99 4 BS 10 March 2007

Ref: RJB/HCS_LPF

Ref: Account No.XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Halifax:

Today, I received a letter from a Jillian Lorimer, Complaints and Consumer Guidance, Customer Services.

In my opinion, this person is not cognisant of the facts, or the law, and possibly is not senior enough to deal with my rightful complaint against the offences and unlawful actions committed by Halifax..

I insist that my complaint be brought to the most senior person responsible who has the qualification and experience to deal with my complaint and I shall brook no further delay.

My letter of 20 February clearly stated the undeniable facts and legal precedents, which prove that you have committed offences under the Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms that may be regarded as unfair: - 1. Terms that have the object of effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

You have chosen to ignore these facts showing contempt and disrespect not only to myself but both of the law and to the Banking Code to which you allege to subscribe.

The intransigence and overweening dilatoriness by Halifax to my rightful demand for return of charges unlawfully applied to my Halifax Visa account and your failure to refund said charges has now resulted in a higher amount of interest applied to the balance of this account. I now expect not only the charge of £12.00 to be refunded, but the additional amount of interest applied because of this.

I should not have been forced to pursue this totally unnecessary course of action but for your unlawful actions that have caused me to suffer not only financial, but emotional distress.

Page Two

Additionally, I also demand that all costs incurred by me having been forced to pursue this are paid, which at present, including this communication add up to £22.00.

Any further cunctative action on your part shall only result in a higher cost to yourselves.

Your actions are, as you are well aware, indefensible in a court of law and if necessary, this course of action shall be robustly pursued and the results of such actions shall be made public.

You have failed to provide the name of your Data Controller and the name of your Code Compliance Officer for which I asked. This shall now be reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office and to the Banking Code Standards Board.

Irrespective of your response to this letter, which I expect to be prompt, be advised that your arrogant disrespect of both the law and of myself, strong complaints are now being sent to The Financial Ombudsman, The Banking Code Standards Board, The Financial Services Authority, The Office of Fair Trading and to Trading Standards recommending disciplinary action against you for the offences and violations committed by you in applying said unlawful charges.

You may be aware that the Financial Ombudsman and the banking Code Standards Board are already investigating my complaint against you and I shall continue to pursue this action robustly until I have received full and proper compensation.

You have continually refused to prove that you have any legal right or contractual right to apply the said charges, furthermore you have refused to offer any evidence that the said charges are a true estimate of the administrative cost involved. I shall have no option but to issue a claim.

It is my contention that the charges applied to my accounts are a disproportionate penalty and therefore are unenforceable, and I draw your attention to the following.

Common law Principles (Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law)

. The precedent for this was:

Dunlop Pneumatic v New Garage [1915] AC 79.

Lord Dunedin set out some tests that are considered even in modern cases when the court is asked to rule on penalty charges.

They are;

1) If it is "extravagant and unconscionable" i.e. that the cost incurred by the business because of the breach is lower than what the consumer is being expected to pay because of the breach.

2) It is also a penalty where the consumer is to pay a larger sum due to failure to pay a smaller sum.

It was held that a contractual party can only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses.

Page Three

Murray v. Leisure play [2005] EWCA Civ 963

“English contract law recognises that, if the parties agree that a party in breach of contract shall pay an unjustifiable amount in the event of a breach of contract, their agreement is to that extent unenforceable”

CMC Group Plc And Others V Zhang [2006] EWCA Civ 408.

“'Whether a provision is to be treated as a penalty as a matter of construction to be resolved by asking whether at the time that the contract was entered into the predominant contractual function of the provision was to deter a party from breaking the contract or to compensate the innocent party for breach. That the contractual function is deterrent rather than compensatory can be deduced by comparing the amount that would be payable on breach with the loss that might be sustained if breach occurred.”

Further or in the alternative penalty charges are also contrary to:

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999 No 2083

SCHEDULE 2 Indicative and Non-Exhaustive List of terms which may be regarded as unfair

(e) Requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation

Further or in the alternative if the defendants state that there was no breach of contract and that the charges are for a service, then it is the Claimants belief that the defendants have attempted to restructure accounts in order to present events of default spuriously as additional services.

However The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, are concerned with the intention and effects of terms, not just their mechanism. For example, a charge for 'agreeing to' or 'allowing' a customer to exceed his credit limit is no different from a charge for the customer's 'default' in exceeding his credit limit.

If any default notice has been issued against my name this must be removed immediately.

I shall require proof of any default notice and/or its removal. Failure to do so will result in a complaint to the Information Commissioner for misuse of data under the Data Protection Act.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history which has required manual intervention by you, any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

They didn't pay my costs for which I asked, so I'm still going to report them to the FOS.

Rhino69

Hello moderator, could you change the title of my thread please,

Bank charges settled in full on 16/03/07 **£2325.40** They stupidly calculated what they was giving me in there own letter saying 1884.00 of just charges plus interst and the fee for court of 120.00. Which they calculated to

1884+120=2004.00

But the total is 1884+(321.40 of interest)+120 which equals to more obviously...

And there supposed to be the bank hahaha

:grin: ....---Big Result Though---....:grin:

Eric (eartois2709)

woods v halifax

user_online.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("652862") report.gif progress.gif

Nice one in ref to the below :) and keep us posted.

I made my monthly payment to Halifax one day late, as I had to take my wife to hospital.

When I received my next statement, it showed a £12.00 late payment fee.

I wrote to them demanding this back and got the standard rejection letter.

I then sent the following letter and had a refund from them the day after they received it.

It's only £12.00, but it takes me 2 hours to earn that much!

(Copy of letter)

COMPLAINT

Kelly Duffy

Senior Customer Relations Manager

Executive Office

Customer Relations

Pitreavie Business Park

Dunfermline

Fife

KY99 4 BS 10 March 2007

Ref: RJB/HCS_LPF

Ref: Account No.XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Halifax:

Today, I received a letter from a Jillian Lorimer, Complaints and Consumer Guidance, Customer Services.

In my opinion, this person is not cognisant of the facts, or the law, and possibly is not senior enough to deal with my rightful complaint against the offences and unlawful actions committed by Halifax..

I insist that my complaint be brought to the most senior person responsible who has the qualification and experience to deal with my complaint and I shall brook no further delay.

My letter of 20 February clearly stated the undeniable facts and legal precedents, which prove that you have committed offences under the Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). My account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as I am a consumer. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms that may be regarded as unfair: - 1. Terms that have the object of effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

You have chosen to ignore these facts showing contempt and disrespect not only to myself but both of the law and to the Banking Code to which you allege to subscribe.

The intransigence and overweening dilatoriness by Halifax to my rightful demand for return of charges unlawfully applied to my Halifax Visa account and your failure to refund said charges has now resulted in a higher amount of interest applied to the balance of this account. I now expect not only the charge of £12.00 to be refunded, but the additional amount of interest applied because of this.

I should not have been forced to pursue this totally unnecessary course of action but for your unlawful actions that have caused me to suffer not only financial, but emotional distress.

Page Two

Additionally, I also demand that all costs incurred by me having been forced to pursue this are paid, which at present, including this communication add up to £22.00.

Any further cunctative action on your part shall only result in a higher cost to yourselves.

Your actions are, as you are well aware, indefensible in a court of law and if necessary, this course of action shall be robustly pursued and the results of such actions shall be made public.

You have failed to provide the name of your Data Controller and the name of your Code Compliance Officer for which I asked. This shall now be reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office and to the Banking Code Standards Board.

Irrespective of your response to this letter, which I expect to be prompt, be advised that your arrogant disrespect of both the law and of myself, strong complaints are now being sent to The Financial Ombudsman, The Banking Code Standards Board, The Financial Services Authority, The Office of Fair Trading and to Trading Standards recommending disciplinary action against you for the offences and violations committed by you in applying said unlawful charges.

You may be aware that the Financial Ombudsman and the banking Code Standards Board are already investigating my complaint against you and I shall continue to pursue this action robustly until I have received full and proper compensation.

You have continually refused to prove that you have any legal right or contractual right to apply the said charges, furthermore you have refused to offer any evidence that the said charges are a true estimate of the administrative cost involved. I shall have no option but to issue a claim.

It is my contention that the charges applied to my accounts are a disproportionate penalty and therefore are unenforceable, and I draw your attention to the following.

Common law Principles (Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law)

. The precedent for this was:

Dunlop Pneumatic v New Garage [1915] AC 79.

Lord Dunedin set out some tests that are considered even in modern cases when the court is asked to rule on penalty charges.

They are;

1) If it is "extravagant and unconscionable" i.e. that the cost incurred by the business because of the breach is lower than what the consumer is being expected to pay because of the breach.

2) It is also a penalty where the consumer is to pay a larger sum due to failure to pay a smaller sum.

It was held that a contractual party can only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses.

Page Three

Murray v. Leisure play [2005] EWCA Civ 963

“English contract law recognises that, if the parties agree that a party in breach of contract shall pay an unjustifiable amount in the event of a breach of contract, their agreement is to that extent unenforceable”

CMC Group Plc And Others V Zhang [2006] EWCA Civ 408.

“'Whether a provision is to be treated as a penalty as a matter of construction to be resolved by asking whether at the time that the contract was entered into the predominant contractual function of the provision was to deter a party from breaking the contract or to compensate the innocent party for breach. That the contractual function is deterrent rather than compensatory can be deduced by comparing the amount that would be payable on breach with the loss that might be sustained if breach occurred.”

Further or in the alternative penalty charges are also contrary to:

The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999 No 2083

SCHEDULE 2 Indicative and Non-Exhaustive List of terms which may be regarded as unfair

(e) Requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation

Further or in the alternative if the defendants state that there was no breach of contract and that the charges are for a service, then it is the Claimants belief that the defendants have attempted to restructure accounts in order to present events of default spuriously as additional services.

However The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, are concerned with the intention and effects of terms, not just their mechanism. For example, a charge for 'agreeing to' or 'allowing' a customer to exceed his credit limit is no different from a charge for the customer's 'default' in exceeding his credit limit.

If any default notice has been issued against my name this must be removed immediately.

I shall require proof of any default notice and/or its removal. Failure to do so will result in a complaint to the Information Commissioner for misuse of data under the Data Protection Act.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history which has required manual intervention by you, any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

They didn't pay my costs for which I asked, so I'm still going to report them to the FOS.

Rhino69