• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Where do I stand on this one? Egg loan sold to dca who cant provide cca

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So how do you find out what sort of an assignment it is?

Molly :-)

I wouldn't bother at this stage. I'd just send them the Prove It letter, or if you really want the CCA request and see what comes back. If they don't respond to a CCA request within 12+2 working days (be careful working this out with Christmas and New Year coming) after that time you can send them a letter placing the account into dispute. After this you do not have to pay a penny until such time as they produce the CCA. They'll try and tell you otherwise, but the law is on your side.

I'd do this - see what their response is, if any then post back and take it from there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tingy, we'll leave it till after New Year and decide on a course of action.

Sorry Minesapint, didn't mean to hijack thread, just felt that the more info is pooled together the more ammunition we'll have to fight Apex/Egg.:razz:

Regards

Molly:-)

Thanks Tingy, we'll leave it till after New Year and decide on a course of action.

Sorry Minesapint, didn't mean to hijack thread, just felt that the more info is pooled together the more ammunition we'll have to fight Apex/Egg.:razz:

Regards

Molly:-)

Hi Molly,

Not a problem, great to have some company :)

Latest letter from Apex is that account has been passed for pre litigation review (whatever that is) as they are now aware that I am a homeowner.

Other than a cca request Ive not contacted Apex & have maintained payments to Egg, as I have serious concerns over the Egg letter supplied by Apex with no account number.

Apex claim I am in default with my 'arrangement' - how wrong they are ! Account sold mid September but didnt receive Apex 'welcome' letter until mid November so September & Octobers payment went to Egg as per arrangement, Apex wants a Direct Debit set up or monthly on line payment, I will only use a Standing Order which they have not suppied details of, so Novembers payment was also paid direct to Egg.

Apex statement is balance up to August, my account is bang up to date so Apex can 'P' in the wind. They also state that they will honour the arrangement made with Egg BUT I MUST telephone their 'trained' negotiators - hell will freeze over first :)

As you said why have they referred to Egg as their 'client' if they own it outright?

MaP

Hope everyone had a good Xmas :wink:

This is strange, sent cca request to Apex (as they claim all rights & benefits as per their 'welcome' letter), however, letter from EGG stating that I did not include the statutory £1 fee & before they can supply a copy of the agreement I need to send a £1 postal order (good job I photocopied the PO before sending it).

Guess its now formally in dispute?

Hope everyone has a good time tonight & best wishes for the New Year.

MaP

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Apex has failed to respond to my cca request but continue to send begging letters. Starting to get a little shirty in their tone.

Stated I havent paid them since September, incorrect as until they prove they own the debt payments have been paid direct to Egg & will continue paying Egg.

SAR Egg and got all info on the account, difference in account numbers explained as the number quoted in letters & CRA data processing is my customer number and not agreement number.

Also, trawling through the paperwork they sent (stacks of pages) there is no mention of the account being sold on.

MaP

Hi map

They often threaten me to 'sell on' but just outsource harassment; changing ref numbers is all just part of this bamboozlement.

I maintain my stance of paying/offering the OC what I can afford; interestingly I had 2 DCAs contact me last week with with 1 letter and 1 'phone call each and both have disappeared when I asked them if they wanted me to add their names to my fos complaint against OC for refusing to accept an offer that I can afford.

x

v

MaP, don't know why this didn't flag up in my usercp before now? Sorry for not replying sooner.

OK you sent them a CCA request and they have foolishly, but quite predictably, said you failed to enclose the correct payment.

As you have proof that you did indeed, have you sent them the failed letter from the library, disputing the account as they failed to produce the agreement within the time period?

If not do so.

Report their puerile empty threats to the OFT&TS via Consumer direct.

File and log their missives, keep a diary of events also.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks everyone,

TBH the cca request slipped under my radar until their latest 'you have not paid us since September YOU MUST ring us immediately to resolve this matter' letter arrived.

Said I havent paid them since SEPT but they didnt inform me til November - can see fun & games ahead, aint worried as I'm still paying EGG & up to date with my arrangement with them.

12+2 days expired nearly three weeks ago :-o

Now you have me confused? Not difficult!

So you are paying EGG direct,?

But Apex are also chasing you for the same account?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Now you have me confused? Not difficult!

So you are paying EGG direct,?

But Apex are also chasing you for the same account?

Sorry Bazooka Boo, I probably didnt explain it clearly.

Had a payment arrangement with Egg which I have stuck to without missing or being late with any payment.

Last November received a letter from Apex claiming that they had bought the debt also enclosed was a strange letter from Egg (?) no account number stating that Apex now own the debt - no payment details enclosed so I continued to pay Egg as per arrangement.

Apex started threat-o-grams stating they havent received any payments Sept, Oct., Nov. & Dec. Only just received details on how to pay by Standing Order.

CCA to Apex end of December & had no response.

SAR to Egg for all details (seperate complaint over ppi on credit card), sent loads of paperwork, statements & comms log - nothing in relation to loan being sold to Apex so continuing to pay Egg & ignore Apex til they prove they own it.

Hope this explains.

MaP

SAR to Egg for all details (seperate complaint over ppi on credit card), sent loads of paperwork, statements & comms log - nothing in relation to loan being sold to Apex so continuing to pay Egg & ignore Apex til they prove they own it.

That's interesting MaP. I'm sure that I read somewhere else that Apex were actually acting on behalf of Egg, as opposed to having "bought" the debt, as alleged, albeit I appreciate that there are diiferent types of assignment.

Apex now "have" my Egg loan and credit card account. In respect of the latter, they have failed to supply me with any paperwork, proving the debt, but have passed it on to threat monkeys Ruthbridge. Luckily, I'm a member of CAG and so have not been as intimidated by their promise of bankruptcy as I might otherwise have been! :lol:

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

I wouldn't be overly concerned MaP, your paying EGG, keep a history of payments, ignore Apex and report them to the OFT&TS and your local MP.

Let them rot, just ignore the fools.

• 1 month later...

Had two Egg loans sold off to Apex last year, made a cca request to them - they responded well outside the 12 + 2 days but then only sent two copies of the same agreement to cover both loans (each have different account numbers).

Problem I now have is that I checked my credit file this morning & both Egg & Apex have got DN's for these accounts & are both still processing data - two loan accounts BUT FOUR Defaults registered :mad2:

Surely they arent allowed to do this?

MaP

No they can't do this only, the legal owners of the debt can maintain or register defaults, I would write to the CRA's informing them of the problem and also contact Egg, as it seems they have sold the debt to a DCA and as such should remove the data.

No, they are not, Apex should have 'taken over' the existing Default from Egg and kept the original Default Date and just changed the 'owner' if indeed they bought the debt, if they are only collecting on behalf of Egg, then they should have not put anything on your CRA files.

Write to the CRA and request them to immediately remove the second entries on each account.

If you need help with what they have send with regard to your CA request, then let us know, otherwise 'account in dispute' letter x 2.

Thanks for the speedy response.

The Defaults all have the same start dates for both Egg & Apex.

Have received NoA's (and 'fake' Egg letter) from Apex, although the cca requests were sent to Apex, what I had in reply was from Egg - strange !

I take it that as Apex 'own them' then it is down to Egg to remove theirs and stop processing the data, and Apex's should show the original DN date (2008).

Still paying Egg direct & not received any further begging letters from Apex (and they dont have my phone number) 8)

• 3 months later...

NOt sure what to do regarding this.

Have an Egg loan which was sold to a dca, because I asked for proof that they legally owned the debt, not just a copy of an 'questionable' Egg letter (which they haven't done so) I continued sending payments each month direct to Egg.

I have sent the dca a request for the cca and the 12+2 days have well and truely expired, however, I have STILL continued with my arrangement and paid Egg the agreed amount each money.

The dca started throwing their rattle out of the pram & started getting stroppy with their threats, so a formal complaint was lodged together with account in dispute letter - three months on & I'm still waiting for the agreement.

They state (in their original letter) that they will honour any agreed repayment plan in place with Egg, although they now deny this and state no arrangement will be made until I telephone them - which I have told them from the outset that telephone contact - either way - will not be made.

Have now received their final response in which they state ' We will continue to request this documentation from the original creditor and will forward this onto you at the earliest opportunity. Unfortunately you are incorrect when you advise that this means the account is in dispute. This very matter was clarified by Judge Wakesman in the High Court on 24th December 2009'.

They were advised that although I am entitled to with hold any further payments until they comply with my request, I shall continue to make payments to Egg, their response to this was that if I make payments direct to Egg & Egg dont forward these to the dca then I am still liable for the payments and is totally my responsibility & will not stop enforcement action being taken.

Their initial statements shows payments being passed from Egg to them and the debt reducing, there is now a difference between what has been paid and what they say I owe, all payments have been made by standing order.

I have asked for a fully breakdown of the account which they have failed to provide.

This is from the OFT guidance on debt collection practices (OFT664). It states that the creditor is ultimately responsible for the behaviour of their debt collectors.

I would deal directly with Egg and complain about the conduct of the company they have employed on their behalf.

Also if you have a read of this guidance it gives guidelines on what they should do when asked for account information that you may find useful. It’s available from the OFT website.

Creditor responsibility for third parties

1.9 If consumer credit licence holders choose to do business or continue to do business with third parties engaged in questionable fitness behaviour, then their own fitness will be called into question. Our aim is to ensure that creditors do notignore the unfair practices of debt collectors, whether in-house or external, acting on their behalf. It is not for the OFT to specify in this guidance how choices aboutthird party selection are made nor to advise on desired conduct between third

parties. However, during any investigation in this respect, we would expect to see that care had been taken in the selection process, complaints had been investigated and that firm action had been taken as appropriate. It would be unlikely that we would take action against a creditor who could demonstrate such action had been taken

Rosy

THE account should be put on hold until the request is met, the point is that enforcement action (Court Claims)

cannot be taken they may continue to ASK for payment!!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

the a/c has been sold

so oft 664 is irrelevent.

no cca = no pay - simples!

all they can do is trash your CRA.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Would the DCA be Lowells or Cabot by any chance?

Thanks peeps,

Alf the dca is the clowns at Apex

They keep using the remarks of 'spurious' & 'erroneous' with reference to my complaints.

I've checked through my spreadsheet as to what payments have been made & when - checking this against what they say I owe shows that ALL payments have been passed to them from Egg. They also state that when they bought the debt any payment arrangement is null & void and that I HAVE to telephone them to negotiate a new arrangement.

Since the 12+2 days have expired I've received several

threatening letters ranging from sending someone around, precourt 'team' to we are aware that you are a homeowner.

Even though they admit they cant provide the agreement they have only given me 21 days in which to phone them.

If the account has been sold then why is the OP still paying Egg?

Has there been a notice of assignment. I notice the OP says the debt was bought, does this mean that the debt was assigned or the agreement.

I think before we start branding anyone’s advice as irrelevant we should know the facts.

Yes the failure to provide a copy under one of the requirements of the cca does not remove the creditor’s right to demand payment nor does it constitute a dispute, unless accompanied by a positive accusation of incorrect execution of contract

Rosy