Wescot anonymous postcard - prognosis?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all!

I have an outstanding debt of something like £4000 which was originally to Egg from 2005. This has been successfully ignored for years... Unfortunately my housemates helpfully registered me to vote for the recent elections, and I think the buggers have tracked me down. I also foolishly allowed myself to be registered when buying some stuff recently so I guess my data might also just have been passed on.*

I got one of wescot's "the occupier" postcards this morning. Not addressed to me but very coincidental, although the previous owner was similarly useless. It's headed for the bin, obviously, though I may have a little fun at "Alice's" expense from a payphone this evening, but what do you think the prognosis is? Can I expect the full treatment or is this just a fishing expedition?

Thanks, TGF

Agreed never phone them ignore until they come up with some thing then post on here.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Yes ignore. Presumably coming up to being statute barred this year sometime, if you have not paid or acknowledged the debt since 2005. If they are writing to the occupier, presumably they are hoping for someone to phone them quoting the reference, when they will check who lives at the address. They may have picked up you live there, but if there are multiple unrelated people, I think they are normally expected to find out you are definately resident at the address, before they start sending letters containing debt information. They may make phone calls to the address if you have a landline for the same purpose, so make sure others in the house are aware of this, so they don't confirm your residence to any mystery callers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hey all!

I have an outstanding debt of something like £4000 which was originally to Egg from 2005. This has been successfully ignored for years... Unfortunately my housemates helpfully registered me to vote for the recent elections, and I think the buggers have tracked me down. I also foolishly allowed myself to be registered when buying some stuff recently so I guess my data might also just have been passed on.*

I got one of wescot's "the occupier" postcards this morning. Not addressed to me but very coincidental, although the previous owner was similarly useless. It's headed for the bin, obviously, though I may have a little fun at "Alice's" expense from a payphone this evening, but what do you think the prognosis is? Can I expect the full treatment or is this just a fishing expedition?

Thanks, TGF

not being on the electoral role will harm your credit worthiness more than a ccj.

so whatever rubbish wetcloths have they will have to play their cards first avout this one

ignore

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yeah I think the default was in May that year so hopefully already statute barred - though I'm not completely clear what the definition of acknowledging the debt is for those purposes. Fingers crossed anyway, and if they continue I plan on seeing what info they've got (is that a FOI request? I forget the jargon).

Anyway yeah will ignore. Just back from a wonderful holiday and not exactly what I wanted to see on the doorstep! Thanks all

Acknowledgement of debt, admitting responsibility in writing or making a payment within the six year period from the cause of of action.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Definitely don't contact. If they write to you by name then you might, possibly consider doing something. You do need to have a look at your credit report to find out when this debt was defaulted.

Yeah but if I check my credit report I'll definitely have to give a current address, I thought that was a known route they get your details from? I reckon I can work out the default date from bank records.

Yeah but if I check my credit report I'll definitely have to give a current address, I thought that was a known route they get your details from? I reckon I can work out the default date from bank records.

That's fine if you can do it accurately. The reason I said that was you said you think it was in May that year. If already SB there's no harm can be done by checking your CRF, if it isn't then if you can use bank details, great.

If it is SB then you cannot be made to repay it under any circumstances, so you can forget about it. Obviously it would be helpful for us to know one way or the other so we can give definitive advice.

A debt becomes SB - 6 years and one month after last payment i.e. first missed payment is the 'cause of action' if it is a monthly account, if that makes sense.It is 5 years if you reside in Scotland.

CRF will probably show 'Default date' which can be any date after that, so beware.

Edited by coledog

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Hey, sorry guys my dates were out, and the defult will have been somewhere in 2007. Balls. So that's out of the window.

So I suppose the only thing to do now is wait and see what Wescots do. Checking back through my old files the debt had previously been assigned to Lewis. They could have sold the debt on I guess, but encouraging that it's not me they're after.

I already have a mortgage and don't want any more credit / debt. Is there any way of removing myself from the electoral roll?

It is last payment date you need to find. The Electoral Role is a legal requirement. You can make sure that you on the restricted list (not available to advertisers, general public etc) but DCAs and anyone on 192.com who pays enough can access it. Does not mean they have found the right person though or confirmed that you still live there.

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate