Proving a debt is statute barred

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if you can help me as I'm new here.

About six weeks ago I received a letter out of the blue from 1st Credit saying that I owed the £2k which related to a credit card I had some years back.

Without going into in depth detail, it came as a suprise as I was sure I had cleared all my debts (having got into financial dificulty)

and my credit rating had been repaired as a result of doing so (that and several years wait).

I wrote to them saying I did not know anything about the debt.

They wrote back sending a copy of the Credit card agreement.

I wrote back saying that the debt was statute barred (because of the time involved)

and they have just written back saying that it is not and enclosing a 'statement' of payments made to one of their sister companies.

Now this 'statement' is nothing more than could be produced on a word processor in 5 minutes and,

whilst I do remember paying money to this other company, I seem to remember that it related to another credit card which was subsequently cleared.

Unfortunately, when I thought all my debts had been cleared I cleared out all my old paperwork so have nothing to prove this and,

having done some trawling on 1st Credit, I am suspicious that the 'statement' they have sent me might not be wholly representative of the true state of play

(i.e yes, I made those payments but they were for another debt and not this one but have been manipulated to suggest that I have made payments against this new debt in the last six years.)

my question is really this:

can I question this 'statement' to test is validity and who is the onus on to prove that the debt is statute barred?

I'm kicking myself now for clearing out my old paperwork,..

Get copy of paperwork going back 6 years by sending a sar request

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

certainly you can

ask for details of the alledged payments

nothing like 1st crudit to 'manufactor' payments - very common trick.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Along with sending the SAR as advised above, i would also write back to 1st credit stating that as it is rather simple to fabricate such a statement on Microsoft office, you require proof that the alleged payments originate from yourself i.e Details of the bank account the payment originated from and/or card details if payment originated via credit/debit card.

Simply showing alist of dates and amounts paid, does not prove the amounts were paid by you, and therefore without any proof that proves the payments originated from you then the account is statuted barred. Include a note stating - Fabrication of financial accounts in order to make a financial gain is fraud.

The onus of proof is on the DCA, if it were to go to court you can get them to strict proof that the payments originated from your bank account or credit/debit card.

I would also send a SAR to the company whom 1st credit claim collected these alleged payments.

Is it possible that they maybe chasing the same account that you had already paid back in full? i wouldn't put it past them.

P.S. check the dates to see if any were weekends or bank holidays, if they state the payment method as Direct Debit then payment can not possible be made on bank holidays and/or weekends.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I wouldn't beleive anything 1st Crud say or send, they will use any method available to them to secure liability and payment

They told me they were sending the bailifs to take my house and car if i did not pay immediately. When I questioned if they had been awarded judgement by a court for this so called debt, the guy said 1st credit have special dispensation from the court and they don't need to go to court in order to use bailifs.

I so wish I had recorded the call, I would have nailed them to the wall, but alas I didn't

Make them prove everything, you don't need to prove anything

I would also ask for copies of correspondence with that "sister company" and for proof that had contacted you about this alleged debt.

Having said that, your SAR should show everything, if this was a real agreement, there would have been regular monthly payments to both accounts from your payments in whatever proportion you originally agreed ... and if there was an occasional payment then this was obviously not what you agreed to, especially if there was a payment recorded on the other account at that time!