• Tweets

• Hi everyone, Apologies for bringing up the same topic regarding these individuals. I wish I had found this forum earlier, as I've seen very similar cases. However, I need your help in figuring out what to do next because we've involved our partners/resellers. I work as an IT Manager in a company outside of the UK. We acquired a license from a certified reseller (along with a support agreement) and also obtained training sessions from them. The issue arose when we needed to register two people for the training sessions, so we used an external laptop for the second user to keep up with the sessions for only a month. During this period, the laptop was solely used for the training sessions. After two weeks, my boss forwarded an email to me from Ms Vinces, stating that we are using illicit software from SolidWorks. Since this has never happened to me or anyone we know, I went into panic mode and had a meeting with her. During the meeting, we explained that we were using an external laptop solely for the training sessions and that the laptop had not been used within the company since her email. She informed us that for such cases, there are demos and special licenses (though our reseller did not mention these types of licenses when we made our initial purchase). She then mentioned that we had utilized products worth approximately €25k and presented us with two options: either pay the agreed value or acquire SolidWorks products. We expressed that the cost was too high, and our business couldn't support such expenses. I assured her that we would discuss the matter with the company board and get back to her. After the meeting, we contacted the company reseller from whom we purchased the license, explained the situation, and mentioned the use of an external laptop. They said they would speak to Maria and help mediate the situation. We hoped to significantly reduce the cost, perhaps to that of a 1-year professional license. Unfortunately, we were mistaken. The reseller mediated a value €2k less than what Maria had suggested (essentially, we would need to acquire two professional lifetime licenses and two years of support for a total of €23k). This amount is still beyond our means, but they insisted that the price was non-negotiable and wouldn't be reduced any further. The entire situation feels odd because she never provided us with addresses or other evidence (which I should have requested), and she's pressuring us to resolve the matter by the end of the month, with payment to be made through the reseller. This makes me feel as though the reseller is taking advantage of the situation to profit from it. Currently, we're trying to buy some time. We plan to meet with the reseller next week but are uncertain about how to proceed with them or whether we should respond to the mediator.
    • Thanks London  if I’ve read correctly the questionaire wants me to post his actual name on a public forum… is that correct.  I’ve only had a quick read so far
    • Plenty of success stories, also bear in mind not everyone updates the forum.  Overdale's want you to roll over and pay, without using your enshrined legal right to defend. make you wet yourself in fear that a solicitor will Take you to court, so you will pay up without question. Most people do just that,  but you are lucky that you have found this place and can help you put together a good defence. You should get reading on some other Capital One and Overdale's cases on the forum to get an idea of how it works.  
    • In both versions the three references to "your clients" near the end need to be changed to "you" or "your" as Alliance are not using solicitors, they have sent the LoC themselves. Personally I'd change "Dear ALLIANCE PARKING Litigation Dept" to "Dear Kev".  It would show you'd done your homework, looked up the company, and seen it's a pathetic one-man band rather than having any departments.  The PPCs love to pretend they have some official power and so you should be scared of them - showing you've sussed their sordid games and you're confident about fighting them undermines all this.  In fact that's the whole point of a snotty letter - to show you'd be big trouble for them if they did do court so better to drop you like a hot potato and go and pursue mugs who just give in instead. In the very, very, very, very unlikely case of Kev doing court, it'd be better that he didn't know in advance all the legal arguments you'd be using, so I'd heavily reduce the number of cards being played.
    • Thanx Londoneill get on to it this evening having a read around these forums I can’t seem to find many success stories using your methods. So how successful are these methods or am I just buying time for him  and a ccj will be inevitable in the end. Thanks another question is, will he have to appear at court..? I am not sure he has got it in him
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

What to include with my application/bundle for a CCJ Set aside?

MrZ
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am applying to the court to set aside a default CCJ. I know I need to complete an N244 form. As I intend to send everything by post I would like to know exactly what I need to include so as not to have the application rejected or sent back.

Will I complete and send a full defence after the court sets aside, or do I send my full defense at the same time as my application to set aside? Specifically I have an email reply to my SAR from the OC that states they have no record of any account in my name.

Just to double check - When I complete the form, I am the defendant and the DCA making the original claim is the claimant, correct?

I'm sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere in the forum, but after reading through multiple threads on the subject of CCJ set aside, I have been unable to find any specific information about exactly what needs to be sent with my initial application.

Thanks in advance.

MrZ

Also I forgot to ask in my first post, can I send the application to my local court even though the Default Judgment was issued from the Northampton Bulk Centre, or do I need to send everything to Northampton?

I have seen some threads where the person sent the application to Northampton with a covering letter asking for the case to be transferred, but I have seen a thread (cant find now I'm afraid) where the person sent the application to their local court, and upon receiving the application the local court made the transfer.

Lastly, regarding the fee, I understand that the fee without a hearing is £45, however if there is a hearing the fee is £80. When I spoke with my local court clerk, he was unable to tell me if a hearing would be required or not and he said the judge would make the decision. Is the any specific reason to request a hearing or not in my set aside application?

For what its worth, the judgment was issued by default, I have only recently learned of the judgment, and I have written (email) response from the OC that they have no record of any account in my name. It seems pretty straight forward to me and not sure a hearing is necessary. Is a hearing mandatory for a default CCJ set aside?

Can anyone clarify these things for me please? I would like to post the application first thing Tuesday after the Bank Holiday.

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

Activ Kapital - Disputed £4,000.00 - 04/04/2011 Settled! WON!

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!

Hi MrZ. yes, you are the Defendant in this case.

send the N244 (application notice) to your local court who will have the case transfered.

if you want to be ultra safe put the request in writing to the Court Manager.

the cost of the application notice is £40 and no you don't require a hearing.

explain in the section "other information" why you believe the CCJ should be set aside.

namely the CCJ was issued to the wrong person (am i correct in that assumption?)

as you've never held an account with the Claimant.

hope this helps.

Hi pop_gun,

Thanks for that information.

I would have to assume it was issued to the wrong person. I have no idea why it was issued to me, as I have no recollection of an account with the original creditor, and apparently neither do they! Nor do I recall ever receiving any correspondence from the debt collector about any debt I supposedly owe to them or the original creditor. The CCJ was issued in 2009. I am only just finding out about it now because of another issue that prompted me to due a search on Experian and registry trust. I intend to keep my application short and sweet as you suggested.

1. I never received any summons and was unable to dispute or defend.

2. I have no knowledge of a debt owed to the original creditor or the debt collector.

3. No previous correspondence from the claimant regarding a debt prior to the claim.

4. The claim is based on a debt that was assigned to the claimant, but the assignor referenced in the claim has no record of any account or debt in my name.

5. The assignor has no record of a credit agreement matching the one specified in the claim.

As mentioned my supporting evidence will be the initial SAR request and subsequent email reply from the assignor that no record of an account in my name or with the referenced credit agreement number exists.

BTW I was very surprised how quickly I was able to determine the debt wasn't owed. I sent an email copy of the SAR with the intention to send a copy recorded delivery with the £10 fee. However, the email was responded to and confirmation that no account exists before I could get the hard copy in the post!!! Saved me the £10 though :)

Do you think that's sufficient to get it set aside?

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!

Ask the judgment creditor if they'll agree that judgment be settled and a certificate of satisfaction is requested.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

If I do this, and they agree, wont the CCJ still show on my credit report?

The goal is to have the entire claim struck out, so as to completely remove it from my credit report.

As I understand, this can only be done if the CCJ is set aside and I successfully defend the claim.

My application to set aside was sent to the court today. For those interested in knowing I did not request a hearing. I am hoping the court will set aside without a hearing based on the facts presented in the application.

Now we wait see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Update:

My application was returned to me with a letter saying my local court is unable to deal with the application. The letter says I need to send the application to Bradford, where apparently it was transferred from Northampton who knows when?

So now I will re-address everything, repackage it and send it off to Bradford. Apparently the fee is £85.00 regardless if you want a hearing or not. This is not what I was told by the court the first time...oh well what can you do right?

After sending emails and letters to the Bradford court and receiving no response, I phoned the Bradford court.

I spoke to a very friendly gentleman who informed me that the case was transferred to my local court electronically, and hard copies were also posted. He further stated that my local court CAN do this themselves i.e. they can initiate the request for transfer upon receipt of an application. He was confused as to why this did not happen. He also said he will put a copy of all docs in first class post for me today.

In all honesty I think it just really depends on who ends up dealing with a particular request and how helpful or unhelpful they wish to be. Luck of the draw I suppose.

At any rate, I can now put my application back into the post to my local court. This simple task of transfer has wasted a week in the process. However a lesson learned for future reference :)

Applications to set aside judgment will never be dealt with without a hearing, other than where there has been a procedural error by the court (e.g. where they entered a default judgment when a defence had been filed). Once the application has been listed, if the defence is as cast iron as you believe, would be worth inviting the other side to consent to the judgment being set aside. The CCJ will be removed once judgment is set aside and not once the claim as a whole is decided.

Thanks Gaston,

This is very helpful information!

As the claim was issued through Northampton this is a bulk centre for large companies that issue many summons. It was set up to free up the local courts, and as such the claimant gets discounted rates. The claimant will be able to set aside the judgment for £45.00 instead of the £85.00 that you will be charged which is not recoverable from the claimant unless you request costs in your application. They may do it for you if you pay them the fee for setting judgment aside if wrongly entered by themselves. A set aside request would not automatically go to a hearing unless requested or the claimant objects to the application. Once you file your N244 a copy of your application will be sent by the court to the claimant and they will then be given the opportunity to object if they wish to do so. If it is a genuine error I would request costs for your outlay in making the application if you decide to do it yourself

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating to say I am still waiting on the court. Still no decision to set aside, and still no hearing on whether to set aside. I spoke to the local court clerk who stated the case still hasnt been before a judge for consideration. He said anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks from the time of filing my application before a judge sees it.

I finally got a hearing date. I made my weekly phone call to the court and learnt that the hearing was finally scheduled today for mid August. The court has ordered that the creditor file a copy of the credit agreement 14 days prior to the hearing. Lets see if the creditor will be willing to set aside and then withdraw the claim. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

I received a packet of paperwork from the Debt Collector today. There is a cover letter explaining that they have enclosed copies of letters from themselves as well as letters from their solicitors prior to the application for the CCJ. It goes on to say that because they sent so many letters, that whilst ocassionally items go astray in the post it is impossible that I didnt receive their letters. They then say the court takes a very dim view of people making a statement of truth of things that arent true...the cheek!

Enclosed are various template letters of various dates. A template notice of assignment, and other copies of their templated collection letters.

Their cover letter also states that they have requested copies of the agreement from the original creditor, and that they will forward it once they have it.

I will need to take some time to review everything, but I see nothing in what they have provided as evidence that I owe the debt they are claiming.

I will update this thread as needed.

• 1 month later...

I am due in court on Friday. One question I still have is, when can I/should I file a copy of my defence for the claim? The application to set aside will be sought in part on the fact that I have a real prospect of defending the claim. In order to show this I would need to reveal my defence to the other side. I dont want to reveal too much and give them a chance to rectify their mistakes. Can I file my defence before the hearing takes place? Assuming I do this and the Judugment is set aside, is that defence then considered filed an serverd in respect to the main claim, or will I need to file another defense after the order to set aside is given?

IMO. You will need to submit evidence (witness statement, including any documents you intend relying upon) which will convince the court that any defence subsequently submitted as a good prospect of success.

I would send any evidence to the other side at least seven days before the setaside hearing.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

So the hearing took place on Friday. I had a female judge who seemed to have little interest in my witness statement, my response to the other parties witness statement, or my skeleton argument. In fact she read to the second paragraph of my statement and then stopped.

She then asked the local solicitor acting on behalf of the creditor, what their argument was. The local solicitor went on about about how its implausible that I knew nothing of the debt or judgment, blah blah blah.

The judge then turned to me and said, "You have heard what the other side has to to say, how do you respond?" I replied, "Their claim says I owe a debt to ABC company, however the alleged agreement they have submitted is for a company called XYZ". The judge interrupted me from saying anything else and then directed her attention back to the solicitor for the other side.

The judge said, "I am not going to decide this case today. You have 14 days to file and serve a fully particularised claim which complies with CPR 16. At which time, the defendant will have 14 days to file and serve a draft defence. Thereafter, another hearing will be scheduled."

The solicitor then said, "We have served a schedule of costs for todays proceedings..." The judge interrupted and said "The defendant is unable to contemplate a defence in this case as you have failed to file and serve a claim fully compliant with CPR 16, therefore costs are reserved."

The judge then turned and said to me, "The other party ha been instructed to file and serve a claim that meets the standard of part 16, and particularly 16.4, you are also required to file a defence which satisfies CPR 16, and in particular 16.5"

That was the end of the hearing.

In essence, they tried to get away with submitting an application form for a "linked" credit card. This was not the application or agreement for the "parent" account on which their claim is based.

No such agreement exists. Its my intention to write their solicitors and say something like, "As you are aware the court has adjourned, and has given you 14 days to file and serve a POC together with the original agreement. As you have been unable to provide the agreement, it is very likely the court will be minded to set aside the judgment. I ask that you consent that the judgment be set aside, at which point I will be willing to enter into without prejudice discussions with a view to save further unnecessary costs to both parties".

They know there is no agreement, and to date, the costs incurred in legal fees are more than the original debt itself. Cant hurt to ask I suppose. :)

Edited by MrZ

The court will look with favour on your attempts to settle this out of court.. so certainly no harm in making the attempt. Do make sure you have everything ready to file in the event they refuse.

As this looks almost certain for you to win in any case, keep a record of all your costs and make sure that removal of any adverse entries on your credit record is part of the deal :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I definitely will. I am a bit miffed that I they were given another 14 days to try to come up with an agreement, and to submit a new POC, especially considering the court had already ordered that they submit a copy of the agreement...which they didnt do.

At any rate, I am confident this will be set aside and then stricken out as there is zero evidence of any debt, no agreement, no statements, no payment history, nada.

I'll update the thread again after I send them a letter asking them to consent.

Sadly, banks / creditors do seem to get more leeway than LiPs.. :(

Best of luck

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote the letter I proposed in an earlier post.  I said, you know the court ordered you file a full POC with a copy of the agreement. You also know that no such agreement exists, and you will be unable to comply. I asked them to consent to the set aside and in return I would be willing to enter into possible settlement discussions. The letter was sent via email and recorded delivery. They signed for the letter.

No acknowledgement or reply from them.

The order stated thay "...must file with the court, and serve on the defendant, a fully particularised particulars of claim complying with CPR 16.4 in particular PD16.7.3 by 19 August 2011."

The post has come today...nada from them.

Hi Mr Z

Ok in light of non compliance with a Court Order consider making application to strike out their claim.

An application for strike out is usually on the grounds of non-compliance with or breach of a rule, practice direction or court order will not be granted if other remedies are available, such as costs penalties, payments into court and interestlink3.gif at a penalty rate or conversely, loss of interest. Only in the most serious cases of non-compliance will strike out be suitable.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy,

I just spoke to the court, and the clerk said that because the order has already been made, and since the matter has already been scheduled for hearing, that i can simply fax over a letter stating they have not complied with the order (this is the second order they havent complied with btw), and given the hearing sate has been scheduled etc, the judge used will see it straight away.

He also suggested that as this is the second order they have not complied with, the judge may set aside the judgment and strike out the claim without further notice to either party.

Fingers crossed!

Excellent, looking favorable then and saves you £45.Word of caution though some DJs wont accept a letter and insist on an application, irrespective of what the Court Staff advise.Maybe attach your letter to an N244 but don't include payment?

Andy

Edited by Andyorch

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It couldnt hurt. I'll update as soon as I hear anything one way or the other.