Really need some help however I think it could all be too late

R46
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is going to turn into a pretty big post and i am sure the spelling and grammer police will have a great time but I will try my best

My current situation! Unemployed claiming JSA and have been since October last year, on anti depressants and sleeping tablets (prescribed) for the last 2 year, own 30% share in my flat which I have lived in for almost 2 years

Have debt collection agency's coming out of my ears and owe almost £16000

However a lot of these are priority debts which include 3 different council tax bills, rent arrears and all utilities!

I have a mortgage and after a court order awarded to the Woolwich/Barclay's in November I have kept up with all payments after falling behind last year but struggling with this alone!

My only income is JSA and I know I should of stopped my claim but I have still be getting my working tax credit (not a good thing to be doing I know, but i was scared of not being able to keep up with my court order as I relied on that money even more when I was made unemployed).................. and like an idiot I have not even claimed housing benefit hence the rent arrear's and have done what I always do best and that is just buried my head!

My debt's laid out..........I dont have a clue where I am at with any of them as I have so much unopened mail sat about I just cannot muster up the courage to open them for fear of the worst case scenario!

Back in November I visited the local CAB to try and get my head around it all and basically all they told me to do was declare myself bankrupt! However they did lay all my debt's out in front of me in a common financial statement summary and made me realise the scale of my ignorance!

Here is the basics of that summary:

Total monthly income £743.04

Monthly Expenditure:

Rent - £189.80

Mortgage - £308.05

Council Tax - £100

Mobile Phone - £20

Travel/fuel - £121.83

Housekeeping - £119.17

Other - £16

Total - £875.52 which is a -£132.48 deficit a month before attempting to pay any debt's off

Debts broken down:

Priority debt's:

BPHA (Housing association) £758

British Gas (elec) £613.47

British Gas (gas) £538.76

East Cambs DC (CT) £970.69

Hunts DC (CT) £599.90

Hunts DC (CT) £923.58

HMRC £202.53

Total Priority Debt's £4607.33 (correct as of 3rd Feb)

Non Priority debts:

Alliance & Leicester unsecured loan £6864

Barclaycard £1387.22

BT £179.54

Cambridge water company £329.58

DVLA £80

Fed Ex £158.51

HMRC £484.80

Natwest £1852.85

O2 £529.73

Total Non-Priority debt £11866.23

I have not had any contact with any of these companies or there debt collection agents and have ignored every letter and phone call no matter how persistant they have been! I now know that for some this probably wasnt the best thing to do but my head is so far from with it at the moment I have lterally been moments away from having myself sectioned and my OH is fearful for my health and sanity already as are some of my friends!

I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel and feel that the world and his dog is against me at the moment as my car just failed its MOT and need's 4 new tyres plus front brakes...........almost £400 right there :(

Any help and advice much appreciated and f you need to know any more info please dont hesitate to ask! I just didnt know what to and not include in this post and dont really know what's of importance to you guys

Kind Regards from a really not in a good place

Erran aka R46

hey

you are not alone

can i recommend you read sequenci's excellent blog in my sig

and then ask any further questions you need answering.

we are all here to help you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi, and as has already been said, there is plenty of help and advice available here on CAG, and as the saying goes, when you reach rock bottom the only way is up.

You have taken the first big step in admiting not only to yourself but to us the 'pickle' you find yourself in and the more you unburden yourself to us, believe it or not you will begin to feel just a tiny bit better, a problem shared is a problem halved.

You are very definitely not alone. I owe an awful lot more tha you with only a slightly higher income. I'm fighting still. CAB advised me the same 3 years ago, but said don't pay to make yourself bankrupt, wait for one of your creditors to do it.

A lot of your non prority debts we could probably get written off with a carefully worded letter. The priority debts are a concern, but you've done really well posting this up and taking the first step to sorting them out. It took me about three years after I'd stopped burying my head to open all those letters and it was actually quite fun believe it or not. You realise the threats the DCA's make then don't carry through coming round and round again.

Let me have a think about the best way to tackle your priority debts. Utilitites should not be a problem, housing will depend on your housing associtation, Council Tax could well be a problem - where do you stand in terms of receiving CT benefit? Also HMRC are a definite priority as they have massive powers. However the tax people are usually pretty good as long as you communicate with them - the worst thing you can do is pretend they don't exist.

Did CAB do an Income Expenditure from with you? If not, then if you go to the National Debtline site there's a good one on there. This will be a very good starting point as it will give you a clear black and white picture of where you stand.

Thank you for your speedy and friendly responce dx.........I have however already taken a look at the blog and understand more now about priority debts and non priority debts however my mind is like a sieve at the moment so do need to keep referring back to it! I will definately take another look tomorrow when I am not on such a downer!

I am 31, it is mine and my mrs 2nd year anniversary this weekend and my birthday next weekend and tbh I'd rather just curl up and die at this very moment! I've let it effect my health and mind and it's now effecting my relationship as i'd rather stay at home on my own tonight then be with the woman I love for fear of my stress and anziety causing an argument like it has been the last few months :o(

I'm not proud of any of this and dont want to take the easy (ish) way out and go bankrupt, I want to stand up for my actions and pay my dues!

I'm in a very deep rut and need to get out of it fast by getting a job! But I am finding all my debt and money worries are stopping me from thinking straight and hindering on my job search/interviews!

In an ideal world for me the solution would be a DRO and this is something I need to seriously look into if I can get my debt to below £15000! This would give me the breathing time and space I feel I need to get my head back to where it should be, concentrate on getting a job then in 12months time I would be in a position to start making affordable, suitabe payments!

But I fear I have left it too late as all debts are with collection agents/bailiffs

Once again many thanks for your reply at such a late hour :)

Wow and thankyou to you other 2 for managing to reply in the time it took me to make my 2nd post :)

It does feel a lot easier being able to talk about it, as even my oh will tell you, I am a bottler, I keep things close to my chest and dont even let her in to the nitty gritty! She does know what's going on and knows the amount of debt, she just does not know how scared I am of it tbh!

It's great to know you guys are willing to help me out!

Up until now tingy, I have been doing just that and pretending they dont exist! I dont leave the house during the day or if I do its very early and wont return all day, I leave the curtains and windows closed..............its not tha way I want to live my life anymore.

I have only today applied for an old job I held a fews back so hopefully it wont even require an interview and I can just walk straight back into it without the pressure of having to actually try and convince someone i'm up for the vacancy! Confidence is so low I couldnt talk my way into anything at the moment lol

Thank you for your speedy and friendly responce dx.........I have however already taken a look at the blog and understand more now about priority debts and non priority debts however my mind is like a sieve at the moment so do need to keep referring back to it! I will definately take another look tomorrow when I am not on such a downer!

I am 31, it is mine and my mrs 2nd year anniversary this weekend and my birthday next weekend and tbh I'd rather just curl up and die at this very moment! I've let it effect my health and mind and it's now effecting my relationship as i'd rather stay at home on my own tonight then be with the woman I love for fear of my stress and anziety causing an argument like it has been the last few months :o(

I'm not proud of any of this and dont want to take the easy (ish) way out and go bankrupt, I want to stand up for my actions and pay my dues!

I'm in a very deep rut and need to get out of it fast by getting a job! But I am finding all my debt and money worries are stopping me from thinking straight and hindering on my job search/interviews!

In an ideal world for me the solution would be a DRO and this is something I need to seriously look into if I can get my debt to below £15000! This would give me the breathing time and space I feel I need to get my head back to where it should be, concentrate on getting a job then in 12months time I would be in a position to start making affordable, suitabe payments!

But I fear I have left it too late as all debts are with collection agents/bailiffs

Once again many thanks for your reply at such a late hour :)

dont ever associate dca's with bailiffs they are not bailiffs!

reclaiming charges and ppi might help too

but pull all your non priority debts out of you mind

ctax rent mortgage utilities are your priority

and you sum is not very high

try +£25k for a start here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

R46, you have taken the first step and admitted you need help and support and you should be proud of that.

Have a read of the very first post in the thread linked below.. and dont give up :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?296861-For-everyone-who-feels-like-giving-up-Please-read-this-and-take-heart-x&highlight

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D