• Tweets

• I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. Anyway I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
    • No apology needed, thank you for what you do I am glad to hear they paid. well done on getting back what is yours
    • Apologies all for the late reply and info, i have been away with the Army. They have paid I accepted the offer on the 5th of May, and they paid on the 17th of May.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Billed for an accident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Couple of weeks ago i reversed into the rails at work causing it to fall off, i told the site manager who got someone to come and repair it, now he is sending me the bill.

Is this legal since it was an accident, and i may not have reported it since no one saw it happened.

and if it was then I would have like to have a few quotes for the repair before it commence if i were to be the one paying for it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Hi Honey,

I don't have the employment handbook to hand - i will look on the network see if i can find a soft copy to read through, I will let you know if i find anything.

Thanks

Hello,

Couple of weeks ago i reversed into the rails at work causing it to fall off, i told the site manager who got someone to come and repair it, now he is sending me the bill.

Is this legal since it was an accident, and i may not have reported it since no one saw it happened.

and if it was then I would have like to have a few quotes for the repair before it commence if i were to be the one paying for it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

I would imagine this is no different to reversing into another car etc. in a car park. It should be a matter between their insurance Company and yours. Obviously if the bill is more than your excess it makes sense to pay it raher than going through insurance. If its Insurance claim then follow normal procedures. If you are going to pay then insist on 2 or 3 quotes before repairs are made. Personally I would ask for their Insurance Company details and tell manager you will deal with them direct. Whatever you decide this is no different to any other accident and same procedures apply. Hope this helps. One important point as is mentioned so often in these posts, do everything in writing, phone calls and verbal assurances are worthless, always get proof of posting.

Thanks for that Norfolk, it is less than my excess so i will be paying - what is strange is the fact I was not told I would be liable for the cost of the repair, I just got an email this morning saying this is how much it cost to finish the repair.

So the repair has already happened without the opportunity to get different quotes and i am meant to pay whatever amount is on the bill

If you have made no admissions in writing and they did not inform you that they were holding you responsible in writing and had repairs done without doing this, then I cant see they have any claim on you and I would inform them that you do not consider payment for this to be your responsibility and is the reason they hold insurance. as epulpo says no previous agreement.

There is always a possibility to turn this around, was this bar in dangerous condition, was it a safety hazard, was it clearly marked so it could be seen, what damage to your vehicle, if little or none then for bar to fall off it must have been insecure? etc. What impact if any would an argument have on your job, is it worth it? e-mails are not a secure means and get lost or junked. Reciprical claim for damage to your vehicle? Its always worth thinking outside the box.

Just giving personal options on how to deal as don't have enough info to make an informed opinion of exactly what I would do myself.. Assume this is a managed complex with your employer being one of a number in the complex and using facilities, ie car park?

That's true my company is one of 2 companies in the complex, very minimal damage to my car and still a mystery how the bar fell off so easily, main damage to my car was from the brick the bar was sitting/erected next to.

From company handbook

STOCK/PROPERTY

Our property must only be used for the purpose for which intended and must not be removed from the premises, without prior approval.

You have a duty to report to management, any damage to or loss of cash, stock, fixtures and fitting or property (including vehicles).

If, following investigation, it is found that as a result of your carelessness, negligence, or failure to comply with our procedures, or by wilful act, we suffer loss, or damage of cash, stock, fixtures and fittings, or property, (including vehicles), this will be construed as a serious breach of the rules, which could result in your summary dismissal on the grounds of gross misconduct.

We reserve the right to take disciplinary action, and in addition you may be liable to pay the full, or part, cost of making good our loss in respect of cash, stock, fixtures and fittings, or our property (including vehicles). In the event that we make a claim against our insurers, for repair, or replacement, or other losses incurred, we reserve the right to require you to pay any insurance excess that may accrue.

N.B. This would include losses incurred by the Company in respect of any hire equipment or costs which the Company have had to reimburse to a third party.

That's the closest thing to this situation i could find in the hand book, if following Investigation stands out

Any more thoughts

Thanks

What does your employer say about this and are they involved? Is the handbook your employers or for the complex?

I think you have two options 1. tell them to get lost as they have not followed any laid down procedure providing this doesnt jeopardise your employment etc., or

2. Follow through with a written request for details of any investigation carried out, copy of any report on damage and an itemised list of repair costs, and their Insurance Company details and their Insurance Companies excess and take it from there when you get response.

:|

I still think its down to my original assessment its between their insurance Co and yours and as you say it is less than your excess and if you want to clear this up, I would be inclined to make an offer in writing of half what they are asking, stating that the bar was in poor condition and unstable and therefore you are only prepared to pay part towards the full repair which the condition of the bar indicated it was needed anyway, I would enclose a cheque for the amount you are offering and see what happens. If they cash the cheque then they have accepted your offer.

The site manager who looks after the building so to spk, is also employed by my company, the building itself is rented from a 3rd party but the occupying companies carry out maintenance such as this.

so in a way my company has been billed for it, or they have to do the repair - but are now trying to pass the bill to me.

I am inclined to go with 2. but to be honest i didn't think i would have to pay for it at all, the MD had a similar incident a few months back and I don't think he footed the bill (I don't know though) and office equipments get damaged by spillage etc and we don't charge the user for a new keyboard? why is this any different?

Thanks for your input

Bit of a catch 22 situation, can only wish you luck whichever route you follow. For future reference no matter how small an incident, take pictures, as many as possible. I even take them if I park in a tight space so I have the regs of vehicles next to me, doesn't take a second with modern camera phones and a picture is well worth a thousand words. In your case it might have been sufficient to prove bar etc. was in bad repair and a danger. Good luck...

thank you all, I didn't notice some other responses on the thread until now, i have decided to wait for the second request before i start the fight.

Thanks again