THE Election - Made your mind up yet ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waits expectantly for BB's answer

I can imagine it beginning with F and ending in OFF:D

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Ooooh, look, we're getting the message we're all in this hardship thing together, folks!

Cabinet ministers are going to take an immediate 5% pay cut. Wow.

The words "lip service" spring to mind: A lot of people I know have had to take a TEN % pay cut, and it wasn't voluntary either. And they were not on the kind of salary a minister gets either. :rolleyes:

Secondly, note that it's only the cabinet ministers, not all the MPs. Oh well, that will sort out the economy then. :rolleyes:

Are they really taking us for idiots, thinking we're going to applaud this patronising token gesture? :mad:...... On second thoughts, don't answer that. :-(

Cabinet ministers are going to take an immediate 5% pay cut. Wow.

The words "lip service" spring to mind: A lot of people I know have had to take a TEN % pay cut, and it wasn't voluntary either. And they were not on the kind of salary a minister gets either. :rolleyes:

Secondly, note that it's only the cabinet ministers, not all the MPs. Oh well, that will sort out the economy then. :rolleyes:

Are they really taking us for idiots, thinking we're going to applaud this patronising token gesture? :mad:...... On second thoughts, don't answer that. :-(

Okay, so you want ALL the MP's to have their salaries cut; Labour included?

:

Who sets the levels of MPs' pay and allowances?

The Review Body on Senior Salaries (SSRB) is responsible for determining MPs' pay, setting the level of any increase in their salary in line with those in the Civil Service. The SSRB also suggests the amounts paid in allowances to Members of both Houses."

Yes, of course, including Labour! :rolleyes: Why shouldn't they? :-?

What I would like to see is a set salary set quite low, with bonuses according to the time they actually spend in the Commons, in their constituency surgeries etc... I'd also like to see the end of the paid for by the taxpayers luxury London pads, which are frankly a recipe for abuse of the system.

I think it's in Sweden where the MPs are housed in utility flats paid for by the State directly, we're talking of 1 bedroom, kitchette, that kind of thing, very utilitarian, for their use of free of charge when they need to stay in. If they'd rather commute, then they only get a set amount for travel and that's very fair too.

If we're going to tackle the economy, let's start at the top. Properly.

Yes, of course, including Labour! :rolleyes: Why shouldn't they? :-?

What I would like to see is a set salary set quite low, with bonuses according to the time they actually spend in the Commons, in their constituency surgeries etc... I'd also like to see the end of the paid for by the taxpayers luxury London pads, which are frankly a recipe for abuse of the system.

I think it's in Sweden where the MPs are housed in utility flats paid for by the State directly, we're talking of 1 bedroom, kitchette, that kind of thing, very utilitarian, for their use of free of charge when they need to stay in. If they'd rather commute, then they only get a set amount for travel and that's very fair too.

If we're going to tackle the economy, let's start at the top. Properly.

Fair enough. But it is the Senior Salaries Review Body that determines their pay!

And that includes professionals such as:

Senior Civil Servants;

Judges;

Doctor's;

Dentist's etc;

as well as MP's.

Not forgetting the NHS senior manager layabouts!

Are you suggesting that e.g. GP's salaries should be reduced as well?

One thing is sure, the Banker's salaries should be cut back and a STOP put on their colossal bonuses!

Edited by angry cat
addition

I don't see how relevant that is? Of course, there's got to be a nominated body which determines it, but it doesn't mean it can't be changed, can it? they're civil servants themselves, they could have a review of all salaries and how they're calculated, there is no reason why because it was done in a certain way, it couldn't be changed.

As for GPs, last time I checked, they don't get luxury flats paid for by the taxpayer, they don't get paid £60k + whether they turn up for work or not, certainly can't "flip", etc, etc... so am not sure that your question makes any sense, tbh. It's a bit like saying "ah well, since you think it's ok to kill rats, then do you mean to say we should be allowed to club baby seals for fun?" :-?

I don't see how relevant that is? Of course, there's got to be a nominated body which determines it, but it doesn't mean it can't be changed, can it? they're civil servants themselves, they could have a review of all salaries and how they're calculated, there is no reason why because it was done in a certain way, it couldn't be changed.

As for GPs, last time I checked, they don't get luxury flats paid for by the taxpayer, they don't get paid £60k + whether they turn up for work or not, certainly can't "flip", etc, etc... so am not sure that your question makes any sense, tbh. It's a bit like saying "ah well, since you think it's ok to kill rats, then do you mean to say we should be allowed to club baby seals for fun?" :-?

The point is that, 'they' are ALL civil servants and their pay is determined by the SSRB!

Incidentally, judges are also allocated nice apartments.

Cabinet ministers are going to take an immediate 5% pay cut.(

I wouldn't mind 95% of a Cabinet Minister's salary.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

The point is that, 'they' are ALL civil servants and their pay is determined by the SSRB.

Yes, I got that the first time. So what? They are taking a 5% cut now, and that wasn't decided by the SSRB, was it? No. So the "they don't make the rules" argument is fallacious at best, dishonest at worse. (which is of course the excuse a lot of them used when the expenses scandal broke, the "I didn't break the rules" excuse.)

wall.gif Good start. Not.

Appointed to Home Secretary and Minister for Women and Equality, please make room for Ms May Theresa.

Her track record, she has voted

- against repealing section 28

- against lowering the age of consent in homosexual relationships to 16

- against gay adoption rights

- against Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill which would give homosexual couples the ability to receive fertility treatment.

She also refused to attend vote on Gender Recognition Act that allows transsexuals to change their legal gender.

*sigh* :-(

That's a bit of an odd portfolio. I think it's important to see how she performs as Home Secretary and it's very early days yet. I doubt that she'll be any worse than Jacqui Smith. I find Theresa May a little bit strange to be honest and was surprised to see her in one of the big offices of state.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

At the moment, no one knows just how the coalition will work out?

So, why not stop the nit picking for a while and just let them try to get along;

you never know, things may just work out.

Few women in the Cabinet, beyond Theresa May. Does this matter? – Telegraph Blogs

At the moment there are no women standing for leadership of the Labour Party either. Some of the women who had senior positions in the Labour government were pretty awful to be honest. Jacqui Smith, Harriet Harman, Hazel Blears, Patricia Hewitt. Say no more.

wall.gif Good start. Not.

Appointed to Home Secretary and Minister for Women and Equality, please make room for Ms May Theresa.

Her track record, she has voted

- against repealing section 28

- against lowering the age of consent in homosexual relationships to 16

- against gay adoption rights

- against Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill which would give homosexual couples the ability to receive fertility treatment.

She also refused to attend vote on Gender Recognition Act that allows transsexuals to change their legal gender.

*sigh* :-(

I, find your post quite odd.

Look, we can all go through the ministers one by one and find things that we do not like/nit pick. Why not give them a chance!

Wapedia - Wiki: Theresa May

Remember, GB was non-elected but the non-elected PM selected his minister's.

I, find your post quite odd.

Look, we can all go through the ministers one by one and find things that we do not like/nit pick. Why not give them a chance!

Wapedia - Wiki: Theresa May

Remember, GB was non-elected but the non-elected PM selected his minister's.

I would say that if they have Labour in their title, that's enough to give them all the stick they deserve, bunch of looser.

Sounds like Theresa May is on the right track.

Would any of you agree to:

"lowering the age of consent in homosexual relationships to 16?

I think NOT.

Booky also quotes that Theresa May also voted "against Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill which would give homosexual couples the ability to receive fertility treatment."

There are so many, women who either by disease/cancer or, biological problems that are unable to give birth to a child biologically! These women go through tortuous screening to obtain IVF; it is a nightmare for them and their families...

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not insensitive to gay couples.

Just saying how it is

The following made me laugh!

:

Clegg was educated at the private Caldicott School at Farnham Royal in South Buckinghamshire, and later at the private Westminster School in London. As a 16-year-old exchange student in Munich, Germany, he was sentenced to a term of community service after he and a friend burned a collection of cacti belonging to a professor. When news of the incident was later reported during his time as Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, Clegg said it was something he was "not proud" of."