Speeding Info

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone know the allowances on top of the speed limit before a ticket is issued?

I know that it varies from force to force, but they all have an allowance.

Its something like % of the speed limit plus 3mph or sommat?

This is for Lancashire btw.

Cheers :D

Dammit, they got me at 36mph :( but i am pretty damned sure i wasnt speeding cos on that particular trip i had the grand children in the car and am very careful when they are in!

I know this as its the only time i have been to where the pic was taken.

Is this your first offence?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Its me first speeding offence, but i have points on me license for no insurance (car was being transferred from front of the drive to the rear of the drive but had to go on the road for 3 mins while i removed the vehicle at the rear of the drive :()

Have you actuially been sent a NIP yet? What makes you think they got you? If you went passed a camera van at 36mph, you may well get away with it as your own speedo reads high anyway. At 36mph on your speedo, you are probably doing between 31 and 34mph. It is not usually in their interest to go after anyone doing less than 35mph actual speed.

They would generally prosecute at 35mph in a 30 zone using teh 10% + 2 maths, although I have known people to be prosecuted at lower speeds within Sunderland using the Road Safety Partnership cash machine, oops I mean safety camera van.

If the actual NIP states 36mph, then it is most likely your speedo was reading 38 - 40mph so you should certainly have been aware you were above the 30 limit by then.

I am just looking at all avenues of defence before it goes to a court - i.e. accepting i was the driver (which i will do) and finding fault with what they have done before having to go to court and give my defence through there.

As lamma points out, the guidance figure is just that, guidance. Speeding is an absolute offence and you could not argue as your defence that they prosecuted you below the "guidance figure" when you were in fact only doing 34mph! 34mph is still above the limit and therefore the prosecution case would be complete.

Yeah, was just trying to nip it in the bud before it goes to court, as the magistrate is less likely to believe me when i tell them i was only doing 30mph against someone who works for the police :(

the police will have admissable evidence, you wil only have your opinion. just how were you intending to nip it in the bud ?

Not necessarily - there have been many occasions where the "evidence" is flawed and the case falls apart in Court, or gets dropped before it gets that far.

You should write to the SCP, requesting a copy of their photo, "to assist with driver identification" - don't mention words like evidence or proof at this stage, and don't forget the 28 day clock to respond to the NIP is running, irrespective of whether they send you any photos.

If you get a photo, scan it and remove any identifying numbers, and post on the pepipoo speeding forum - we can then tell you if it's worth challenging the ticket.