• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sadly, the programme decided to take a soft approach and focus on peripheral issues around charges (e.g. communication concerns) as opposed to the tough question of whether the UK bank charging model was unfair in law, whether it was morally acceptable to exploit vulnerable consumers to subsidise better off customers, as well as overlooking the plight of thousands of UK consumers still trying to seek refunds of unfair charges.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just goes to show. If we're going to get any real justice, we'll have to do it ourselves! It's not up to 'the Government' - it's what we put up with from the Government

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

I'm in a very similar situation to Theyrcriminals and, that being the case, would really appreciate it if any of you guys could take a look at the following thread and gimme your thoughts as a matter of urgency [i have to get back to the court today to avoid my claim being struck out].

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?284829-HELP-How-to-avoid-my-bank-charges-claim-being-struck-out-!&p=3205198&highlight=#post3205198

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Access to justice denied: Scottish Legal Aid Board kills off hope of reclaiming unfair bank charges in Scotland

listen_en_uk.gif

SLAB_CEO_Lindsay_Montgomery.jpg SLAB's CEO

Lindsay Montgomery The Scottish Legal Aid Board (SLAB) has refused to grant civil legal aid in a leading Scottish test case on unfair UK bank charges - Sharp v. Bank of Scotland plc - with their decision to refuse legal aid being upheld on an internal appeal to the Board this week.

The decision effectively means that no-one in Scotland can ever obtain civil legal aid to pursue a modest bank charges claim, and further, that any complex consumer credit or consumer law complaint of a modest value is unlikely to ever qualify for legal aid in Scotland. In short, SLAB have killed-off access to justice for many tens of thousands of consumers in Scotland.

http://govanlc.blogspot.com/2010/12/access-to-justice-denied-scottish-legal.html

Another white wash - I wonder if people are getting paid to make decisions like these ? :mad2:

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

Of course they are rdm. It dawned on me a long time ago that Britain (UK) or whatever you want to call it is THE MOST corrupt country in the world bar NONE. Oh its done in a "nice gentlemanly way" by a small cadre of old Etonians and the like who actually run the whole she bang. Just remember the old universities are the nurseries of the worst traitors we have ever had. Now the "Reds" have gone, to where have they turned their malicious greedy attentions??

oilyrag.

Morning all,

I agree with the comments - BUT remember this: Mike Daily has NOT said that this is the end of the road - indeed if you read in full all of the information from his office, it seems that this matter will end up in the ECJ. I believe that every effort will be made to block his path but it will finally get to the ECJ, there is too much at stake for all parties to stop....

I have my fingers crossed

Best wishes and compliments of the season

Dougal

Dear Caggers

Just to explain the reason we sought a civil legal aid certificate in the case of Sharp v. BOS (and we have other legal aid applications and other bank charge cases before the courts too) is not for Govan Law Centre to be paid a fee (we have always undertaken our bank charges work for free in the UK public interest) but rather because these cases have been remitted to the ordinary court (at the instance of the banks, where there is no protection against expenses) and therefore it would have been professionally irresponsible for me to run a case and expose my client to an award of expenses if we were to lose.

As you may know the banks have employed advocates (barristers) instructed by solicitors to act on their behalf in these cases, and if the Sharp case ended up with a QC and junior counsel, and Dundas + Wilson LLP instructing them, you could be looking at many tens of thousands of pounds if we lost. I don't think we will lose, we have good prospects, but as a solicitor I cannot expose a client to that level of risk.

A legal aid certificate in Scotland provides an insurance policy against costs in the event of contra expenses or failure - section 18 of the Legal Aid (Scotland) Act 1986 entitles a legally aided client to ask the court to modify expenses to nil. That is why legal aid is so important in any contentious case, where the opponent has very deep pockets.

I can assure you that the new bank charges arguments will be argued before the courts by GLC, and the reason why we are making such a fuss here, is for tactical reasons.

Mike

Govan Law Centre

• Haha 1

Having been trained many years ago as a scientist where logic and common sense are usually most helpful attributes, I have discovered in attempting to understand legal processes that these same attributes don't ever seem to be used in our courts - making the use of the word "justice" a total mockery. lt seems to me that it is not us, the general public, that has made the law so complex that the Sharp case canot be dealt with in the Small Claims Court system. I think it should be standard practice that any small claim be protected by the same cost limits- no matter where it ends up - even at SC or at EU courts.

GLC have said they will cap their fees at £375 in the public interest. Well done to GLC - and a big thank you on behalf of all of us who continue to have huge overdrafts made up entirely of such charges and subsequent interest charges!

Surely it's now time to force the Banks (whom we have bailed out with billions - and continue to pay billions in bonuses!) to match that offer. After all, surely the Banks (being fair minded and law abiding coprporate citizens:roll:) need to find out once and for all IF their charges WERE fair - and the complexity of the law should not be used as a shield for them to cower behind and use their (our!) vast funds to prevent Joe Public from seeking justice?

I would suggest a huge publicity campaign to embarrass the Banks into playing fair - but Angela (black) Knight has already shown she and her cronies cannot be embarrassed and will continue to fleece us all at every opportunity! I have seen nothing about this in the Press or TV in recent days!

I am delighted GLC are pressing ahead to get justice on this. I am glad it's not the OFT we are relying on this time!

I think all of us in Scotland should write to our MSP's now and make them aware of this scandalous situation - and how we as their constituents feel about all of this - and the fact the complexity of the law is being used by the Banks to thwart justice. It doesn't even cost a stamp as their e-mail addresses are readily available on the Scottissh Parliament web site.

BD

If I required biblical quotes I would look for some nebulous US Southern State Baptist site, however please can we stay on subject; I realise there's not a lot happening on the surface but it appears that some parties (GLC to name one) are paddling like the clappers below and it strikes me we could all do with a bit of ECJ familiarisation particularly since the UK seems to be one of the few NOT 'in harmony'. I seem to recall from past posts that euro legislation actually favouring our endeavours was passed some while ago - anyone?

Ok Kennyh

Biblical quotes aside. I have looked at the vast tome that is the Lisbon Treaty and got lost in all its meanderings. However two things UK citizens should be aware of that came through crystal clear.

1. If you look in the appendices to the protocols applying, appendix 26 if memory serves correctly is that the law applying AT THE TIME in Poland and the UK, note these two members singled out, will be the law applying to the citizens of those two member states. When you get to the nitty gritty of it elsewhere and I should have taken notes---sorry, our wonderful leaders Gordon Brown at the time and now Con-man and Treacherous Turncoat have totally excluded you and I from the additional financial and consumer protections of that treaty that benefit every other EU citizen, (and my passport without my agreement says I am an EU citizen.

2. One thing that they cannot get out of however under these terms is the EU Convention on Human Rights and one of the core rights endowed upon you is that you CANNOT be made a victim by any court in the UK of ANY retrospective law passed in our Parliament. Hence if your agreements are old enough to be CCA1974 and not as amended later, then any attempt by a creditor/judge/barrister/court to say otherwise infringes your basic human rights and the treaty allows an immediate appeal to the relevant courts in Europe.

I am sorry I can't be more specific but it is worth a look, but it is a nightmare in the wording and the complexity.

regards

oilyrag.

Very many thanks oily (You're a braver person than I, submersing yourself in Lisbon Treaty detail!)

Hence if your agreements are old enough to be CCA1974 and not as amended later, then any attempt by a creditor/judge/barrister/court to say otherwise infringes your basic human rights and the treaty allows an immediate appeal to the relevant courts in Europe.

that alone gives some flexibility however I'm pretty sure that the item to which I alluded was a decision handed down in the past 5 years and, at the time comments were made, there was no obvious exclusion of UK citizens. Indeed it seemed as though the UK was badly out of step (as the French tend to be on so many aspects of various aspects of 'eurolaw') and the ECJ was more than a little miffed. I'll just have to find time for a bit of digging.

Ken

Unfortunately kenny this is the Britsh way. We as ordinary decent folk are denied the benefits of the EU but are told to swallow without complaint all of the bad bits. And please let me tell you that in another life I was a technical officer (engineering) working ,on paper anyway, out of the Technical Commission in Rue de Monteyer Brussels.

I am not a fan of the EU but the British people are being mislead and cheated every way which way.

regards

oilyrag.

SLAB

Following receipt, the application was considered but refused as it did not meet the reasonableness test for civil legal

aid. No mention was made of wider public interest by Govan Law Centre at this time.

A review application was then made asking us to re-consider our refusal of civil legal aid.

The review application indicated that the case could be of relevance to the wider public interest in Scotland in that if

the case was successful it could lead the way for many others to make similar claims.

Have SLAB been living on mars? Did they not already know alot of people have a similar case? Do they really need a written reminder?

Hats off to GLC

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.