• Tweets

• is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sheriff puts Bank of Scotland to proof on bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The problem with many of the arguments put forward is that they amount to arguments that customers should not pay bank charges. That is the same as saying that banks should supply free banking services. What confuses the whole issue is the fact that the way banks charge for their services is, compared to anyone else I can think of, odd. Only some customers pay them and the deal is that if and for so long as you stay in credit you do not pay, but when you overdraw you do. We must not forget that this is what bank customers demanded. From the banks perspective their customers are like punters who are happy to collect their winnings when their horse comes first, but insist on having their stake money back when it falls at the first fence. How much profit the banks make on current accounts is irrelevant to any of the legal questions being asked because you can still ask the same questions if the banks were operating current accounts at a loss

My take on this is that most people will be more than happy to pay bank charges, if they were appropiate. The whole issue is the amount the banks are charging. They are getting "Money for Nothing". If I go overdrawn for a small amount for a small time frame and they charged me £3 (costing them 75p), then I would not complain! I am angry because they are pocketing £25 - 75p!!!

Another issue is why do allow you to go over your limit?? There were many an occasion that I did my calculations and made Debit Card payments, authorised by the bank, just to find out later that an old Debit Card payment (authorised some time ago by the bank) were also been paid on that day and I went over the limit. Why did the bank authorise and allow the last Debit Card payment?? I believe it to be deliberate for their "Money for Nothing" policy.

As I said, I will be more than happy to pay appropiate charges in appropiate circumstances but I am not prepared to pay for 30% of the profits of the banks, especially as it is "Money for Nothing".

I am not originally from the UK and was shocked beyond believe when I came across this practise, I could not believe that a UK goverment can allows this. Practises like this belongs to 3rd world (or even 6th, 7th world) countries and the banks should be ashamed beyond believe for this practise.

It is Sick!!!!!!!!!!

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could be wrong but my take on the response from HSBC, when you read between the lines:

We know these charges are wrong and we should refund them but we believe you do not have a change challenging them in court and therefore we are not going to refund them!”

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

The banks went from - 'We just cover our costs, we don't make a profit' to 'it's part of our core business, we make a huge profit', they've been stating that in front of Parliament for years. So if they are embarrassed you can understand why. This is a scandal, in most countries this wouldn't be glossed over.

It's a shame the judiciary don't take the same stance with the banks as they increasingly do with debtors in court..ignore the technical arguments and say

"Have you had the money??? Then pay it back!"

The cracks and corruption throughout the whole system seem to be widening.

Makes you want to disappear to a small island in the Hebrides and scupper the only boat...

Elsa x (Having one of "those" days!! LOL)

Hi All

Could I just venture to suggest that care be taken about discontinance over the issue of costs. Concernng the issues of costs surrounding credit card claims there has been a recent judgement in the Manchester Mercantile Court by HHJ Waksman again (of Carey v HSBC) which ensured that if a debtor claimant discontinued then they would be responsible for the defendants costs. Again this was a mis mash of cases put together to test the water and known as "Teasdale". However one firm of solicitors has been given permission by the Court of Appeal to bring the case to appeal. Watch this space as they say.

regards

Oilyrag

Edited by oilyrag
word missing with a typo

oilyrag,

May I suggest that extreme care and due diligence be taken in any "discontinuance" proceedings and the fact

that it is essential that you first approach the other parties and obtain in "writing" their consent to the proceedings

and that the parties concerned agree to bear their "own costs" as occasioned by the proceedings.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Yes, JGJ I fully agree and that is what I was hoping to convey with particular reference to "Teasdale v HSBC" in the Mercantile Court very recently which in itself was another series of cases in my view hinging mainly on the issue of costs when a debtor claimant discontinues. Will look forward to the inevitable debate on CAG about these cases.

oilyrag ( appeals listed on the above for Feb 2011 from info on here)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My bank charges claim is due to be thrown out, as are everyones at the Torquay and Newton Abbot County Court, at the end of this month. Is there any chance at all of preventing this and if there is what is the new legal argument to prevent the claim being struck out? In my opinion the test case was corrupted, there can be no doubt in my mind that the economic situation dictated the legal one, I hope everyone can see this.

TheyrCriminals

I don't know if this is a glimmer of hope or another establishment stalling tactic - but the attached is from Vince Cable's department - and he might just be the one member of the CONDEM cartel that I think might be on the Consumer's side.

“ We want to strengthen our evidence base on the impacts of recent voluntary, market driven initiatives around personal current accounts and on any continuing consumer detriment in this area, BIS issued a call for evidence on 15 October which can be accessed via the BIS website at:

http://bis.gov.uk/policies/consumer-issues/consumer-credit-and-debt/managing-borrowing"

Now it is your turn to let the BIS know that you are not happy. Tell them that we need a new law, tell them we need it today, and tell them why! What is more make sure you pass the link on to all your friends and family.

I intend to point out that while most of the Banks might have changed the way they charge for unauthorised overdrafts, the effects of their previous methods of charging still continue ot cause excessive and unfair hardship. Many of us are left with such an unauthorised overdraft precisely because of previous draconian charges (which they no longer dare to charge as they can no longer be justified) and associated punitive interest rates applied in the past. Many small business went to the wall through inability to continue to service such high charges.

The previously excessively high charges (generated up to a third of the banks revenue?) should be refunded immediately. If this cannot be demanded by BIS, then at the very least a retrospective calculation should be done using current charge rates (e.g. HBOS £5 per day but no longer any other charges or interest) and if this results in a reduction in what we would have been charged then that difference should be refunded immediately as an ex gratia payment pending further legal action. After all surely the Banks have not brought in a new charging regime that will result in a loss for them? Surely their directors would be acting illegally (against shareholder interests) if they did such a thing?

I shall also point out that HBOS (and others?) changed the wording of their earlier letters from "to cover our costs" - and then claimed to the SC tht the charges were a core part of their revenue - quite a different stance from what they took previously.

Their "ha ha - we won - you lost" letters sent out after last year's SC debacle were also very misleading in that they reproduced only some carefully cherry picked parts of the SC ruling and did not mention the other areas highlighted by the SC judges for possible future investigation/legal testing.

Please take up this opportunity to give Vince Cable and BIS YOUR own views and experiences in parallel to seeing how Scottish justice pans out in this thread over the forthcoming weeks/months.

BD

I have just completed and sent off this document. Closing date is 10 December. It's not too clear what you need to do. I opened the word version, saved it and then completed it and saved the final version. I then had to go back to the first page of the web site to get an e-mail address to which to send it.

First thoughts are most of the respondents will be the creditors - and much of the proposals to make enforceability easier etc. are in THEIR interests - not ours.

Please participate - you need to set aside AT LEAST 2 HOURS to complete it - but we need our side of things put forward LOUD and CLEAR.

BD

PS I see Consumer Forums are listed as one of the interested parties - but haven't heard anything about this on the forum up to now. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Vince Cable is most definitely on the side of the consumer IMO. He was at the Which? Big Banking Debate that determindator and I attended in February and specifically mentioned charges.

What Termi hasn't mentioned here, is that she and I attended the Big Banking Debate in London on 4th and what a night!!

I had hoped to have posted a full report by now, but suffice to say it was like a breath of fresh air. MPs from the 3 major parties all gave the same message, that the behaviour of the banks is not acceptable and that they wanted to hear what bank customers have to say, including what ideas they have to resolve the problems. They specifically targeted charges and irresponsible lending, as well as bonuses.:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro

Thanks for that info - most encouraging.

However I have copied below part of the "suggestions" from the Lenders which we need to firmly rebut before they become statute law (it seems that much of this is already becoming Case Law!). EVERYONE needs to reply to this Call for Evidence - so a balanced view can be given. You can bet the Banks and DCA's are scribbling away on this as we speak!

I am happy to pm my submitted word document for further editing by other CAGGERS if it will help.

BD

Annex A: stakeholders’ suggestions for improvements to consumer credit and insolvency regimes

Decision to borrow

· replace any remaining areas of automatic unenforceability of credit agreements with unenforceability without a court order or another appropriate penalty

· rationalise the requirements around signing of agreements so that more agreements can be concluded on line

· rationalise/repeal section 18 of the Consumer Credit Act (CCA) setting out the requirements which apply to multiple agreements

· align all provisions concerning the cancellation of agreements with those which apply to the new right of withdrawal introduced by the Consumer Credit Directive

· repeal or rationalise the CCA provisions which apply to modifying agreements

· rationalise the requirement to provide statements for people who have moved house or entered into an IVA

· require consumers to show genuine disadvantage before a breach of the CCA can make an agreement unenforceable

· review the need for sections 99 and 100 of the CCA concerning Voluntary Terminations

· review the provisions of section 185 CCA 1974 concerning information to be provided to joint account holders

Vince Cable is most definitely on the side of the consumer IMO. He was at the Which? Big Banking Debate that determindator and I attended in February and specifically mentioned charges.

Did Vince attend ? What other MP's attended, sounds interesting.

I agree fully with Bigdebtor, people need to respond to this consultation and put their views forward, if not just on the CCA aspects, on the cooling off period for store card, the interest rate caps, and the stricter regulation for DMPs and bailiffs. Areas I think lots of people here will be interested in.

I don't know if Cag responded to the previous consultation on ancillary and contingent charges ? I seem to recall a thread about it but not the response.

There does seem to be a lot of work underway and people should get their voices heard NOW before it is too late. BigDebtor, why not try starting seperate threads to discuss each of the main issues raised in the appropriate forums where people will be looking with an interest in particular areas ?

I think this is currently the most active thread on bank charges - but please tell me if you know of others? I have copied some posts on the Consumer Credit Agreements thread and given a link to these posts too. Other suggestiuons of relevant threads to link to are very welcome - or feel free to post a link back to here if appropriate.

Reading another thread (Cupcake68 vs Egg) on how the Creditors' lawyers play games with us by not providing info until the last minute, I wish I had put in some comment on this in my own BIS evidence statement as I think this is wrong and should be totally outlawed. There is little enough "equality of arms" as things stand.

They should give LIP's especially proper notice of EVERYTHING - and Judges should ensure LIP's have been given adequate time by the other (dark) side to prepare - and if necessary seek further advice - LIP's should not be subject to delays in getting easily copied and long standing evidence, should not be hit by new evidence or a new tack at the 11th (or later) hour. I note the Creditor's "suggestions" haven't covered this sort of thing! :evil:

BD

Edited by Bigdebtor

I think that stopping the post code lottery should be high on the list. I used to have a good job that paid well, I paid all my debts on time etc etc but had to suffer a high interest rate as the "Quote" area in which I lived had a lot of bad debt" - What had that got to do with me - insurers should be stopped from using this practice too

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

I agree with bigdebtor. All Caggers must take this opportunity to press the case against the banks.

VC may be on the side of the consumer but he is still a total new boy. That means his department will try to 'guide' him and will let him know in subtle little ways that he is a junior partner in the govt. The way to help VC is to let the department know the strength of consumer feeling against the banks and their apologists/PR lobbyists.

In my youth I worked in a Minister's Private Office and the ONLY way to move the department was for campaigners to build up such a volume of protest/letters etc that the Minister was able to fight his civil servants. 'Yes Minister' may have been written as a comedy but it was more like a true life documentary than some people would like to admit.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

I have just completed and sent off this document. Closing date is 10 December. It's not too clear what you need to do. I opened the word version, saved it and then completed it and saved the final version. I then had to go back to the first page of the web site to get an e-mail address to which to send it.

First thoughts are most of the respondents will be the creditors - and much of the proposals to make enforceability easier etc. are in THEIR interests - not ours.

Please participate - you need to set aside AT LEAST 2 HOURS to complete it - but we need our side of things put forward LOUD and CLEAR.

BD

PS I see Consumer Forums are listed as one of the interested parties - but haven't heard anything about this on the forum up to now. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Hi BigDebtor,

What document are you talking about?

TheyrCriminals

Did Vince attend ? What other MP's attended, sounds interesting.

Yes he did and spoke up on bank charges and as former shadow Chancellor of the Exchequor was clearly well versed. There were MPs from the 3 main parties and they were all in agreement on this.

RT HON DAVID DAVIS MP (CHAIR)

David is chairing the Future of Banking Commission. He is Conservative

MP for Haltemprice and Howden and is a leading campaigner on civil

liberties. His former roles include Shadow Home Secretary, Conservative

Party Chairman and Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee.

RT HON JOHN MCFALL

From 2001-10, when he retired as Labour MP for West Dunbartonshire,

John McFall was Chair of the influential House of Common’s

Treasury Committee. In January, he was presented with the award of

Which? Consumer Champion for 2009 for his role in improving financial

services for consumers.

RT HON DR VINCE CABLE MP

It was in his capacity as the Liberal Democrat Shadow Chancellor of the

Exchequer that Vince served on the Commission. In May 2010 Vince was

appointed Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Ah you mean they were on the committee of the Which Big Banking Commission (http://commission.bnbb.org/), I don't believe Vince nor John McFall attended the debate, only David Davis MP along with Philip Augar, Peter Vicary Smith, David Pitt-Watson and Roger Bootle.

They have both, of course, spoken out against bank charges and unfairness in the past, not sure if they attended the evidence sessions though. Did you attend any of those ?

Hi BigDebtor,

What document are you talking about?

TheyrCriminals

http://www.bis.gov.uk/Consultations/consumer-credit-call-for-evidence

In addition to the call for evidence itself, BIS are also inviting consumers to respond to a short questionnaire on issues relevant to the review. PLEASE DO THIS !!!!!!!!!

I have completed it, takes about 3 minutes, but it is a poorly structured and to place it on a site called Survey Monkey does not exactly enhance its credibility.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Bit amateurish isn't it. But it is easily accessible for the general consumer to have a say rather than completing the rather long and detailed consultation response form. ( word doc - http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/consumer-issues/docs/m/10-1185rf-managing-borrowing-call-for-evidence-response-form.doc )

Are CAG going to be putting forward a response ?

Not sure where bigdebtor saw CAG being listed in the official respondents tho I can't see them, good to see MSE on there tho, but of course anyone can respond in as much or as little detail as they wish.