Ebay sellers some are over charging

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

One solution I thought up was having Ebay enforce a system where the seller had to quote separately for postage, packaging and administration (if applicable) costs. The seller would have to briefly explain what the administration charge entailed in their listing. That's transparency and can't be beat. So as not to put off Ebay newbies it could only apply to those that have already sold 10 items say. That would just involve a small software tweak. Everyone has the Royal Mail website at their disposal, well if they made it to Ebay they do, and can easily get hold off some cheap electronic scales and a pricing in proportion ruler for about £10. All of this could save a lot of unnecessary arguments. Bidder understands; bidder decides; bidder is happy. :)

i did use the RM website a set of electronic scales aswell.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had signed the recorded delivery slip, but Ebay would not remove the neg as they said it could have been signed for by a friend. Yes, a friend who lived in the buyer's house and had the buyers initial.

Yes, exactly what happened to me after the **** decided to keep my £35. Another time I sent something through Parcelforce and and had a stamped receipt. I offered to send Paypal a high resolution photocopy, but that wasn't good enough for them. Another time I sent something via International Recorded delivery. I rang Royal Mail and they said it had been delivered. However, as it couldn't be tracked online it wasn't good enough for Paypal! :confused: I think they may have changed their policy on International Recorded since then, or maybe it can be tracked online now, but am not sure. I can't be bothered to investigate.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Only the seller might know what the cost is, but if a bidder pays £5 p and p for something that arrives in a 20p jiffy bag with 2 second class stamps on it they might not be happy.

Why not?

Supposing I want to buy a widget worth around £25 and whilst I'm shopping around I look on ebay and find one for a fiver - wow! Oh hang on a sec... postage is a tenner. But this still means I've got a £15 item for £25. If the item turns up in a re-used jiffy bag with a second class stamp stuck on, I've still got a bargain. If the item gets hand delivered to me on a velvet cushion, I've still got the same item, delivered, for the same price. As long as the item turns up safely, in one piece, and without taking too long... what's the problem?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Why not?

Supposing I want to buy a widget worth around £25 and whilst I'm shopping around I look on ebay and find one for a fiver - wow! Oh hang on a sec... postage is a tenner. But this still means I've got a £15 item for £25. If the item turns up in a re-used jiffy bag with a second class stamp stuck on, I've still got a bargain. If the item gets hand delivered to me on a velvet cushion, I've still got the same item, delivered, for the same price. As long as the item turns up safely, in one piece, and without taking too long... what's the problem?

What you have outlined is exactly how I see it when I buy and how I sold stuff myself, but not with p and p that high. That is a legitimate way of looking at it. However, not all bidders genuinely see it like that. They take the p and p charge in good faith. Why shouldn't they disagree if they are unaware of another way of looking at it? It's not their fault they are unaware and a few of them might still disagree on principle after it is explained to them. It can lead to arguments and resentment. You surely can't deny this? I'm just one person and have experienced it myself on a few occasions by charging just £3 p and p. That's the problem. I think it can all be avoided with a more transparent system and Ebay will be a better place for it. At the same time the whole market needs to be regulated, effective competition introduced and fairer fees for all. The existing competition needs to be boosted. Maybe they could license 2 more companies to use the Ebay software as it is and run with it too. Something needs to be done.

Edited by renegotiation

I think the best way to solve all postage charges would be to just limit yourself to purchasing items from your next door neighbour. You would also have double buying power if you lived in a mid terraced house.

A polite knock on your living room wall may even cut out traveling expenses as they could bring the item to you in next to no time;)

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

As you know, in the CD/DVD,LP section total transparency has allready arrived.

Free delivery on everything.

Buyers are still complaining.

Because free delivery doesnt really exist, ie the seller pays for it, sellers have to add P&P+handling into the start price.

All well and good you would think- until someone buys more than one item from the same seller and discovers that the flip side of free p&p+handling is no combined postage!

(How can you combine postage when theres nothing extra to pay for postage to start with!)

Eg: You buy 3 CDs off someone for £3.50 each- £10.50

The seller has built in the deliver cost into each of them (£2.50)

Before free P&P came in, he was selling his old CDs at 99p + £2.50 p&p and may have cost £3.00 to post the 3 items together- total £5.97

Now with free p&p the total is £10.50.

(Of course the seller may do it for the old price, but there is now no way of giving combined postage costs through the Ebay check out system- because the p&p is "free")

Edited by noomill060

They have not done and it is also well documented that this was with the agreemen, kinda, of the seller as he siad they wanted me to pay a further £3 for them posting recorded delivery.

When i offered to send my own stuff as i was sending the postal order they were fine about it.

In total they then wanted £8 for delivery which is defently a rip off for a bag which weights less than 100g.

they were more than happy for me to pay for the postage at recorded delivery my self and did not even moan when they found out it was under £2.

godmother- What a nice seller you had there, but please dont count on everyone being so amienable in future. Ebayers usually cut newbies a lot of slack for their first few deals, but eventually you will have to play the game like everyone else.

Because free delivery doesnt really exist, ie the seller pays for it, sellers have to add P&P+handling into the start price.

All well and good you would think- until someone buys more than one item from the same seller and discovers that the flip side of free p&p+handling is no combined postage!

(How can you combine postage when theres nothing extra to pay for postage to start with!)

Before free P&P came in, he was selling his old CDs at 99p + £2.50 p&p and may have cost £3.00 to post the 3 items together- total £5.97

(Of course the seller may do it for the old price, but there is now no way of giving combined postage costs through the Ebay check out system- because the p&p is "free")

Great points and more highlighting of how daft Ebay can be. They are now taking a cut out of p and p through final value fees too. I think bidders will be inclined to pay less in total for items with free p and p, than they would have for items with p and p. It's just the way the mind works. They should have introduced a fixed charge for single dvd p and p and adjusted the fixed charge for shipments of 2, 3, 4 etc. single dvd's. Box sets would obviously have to be excluded. The same could be done for cd's, tapes and anything of the same size. That is at least a partial solution to the madness. For some categories that they have introduced free p and p on you don't even have the option of introducing a reasonable fixed charge because of size variation. I still think a transparent system of actual cost, including administration, is best. It wouldn't be hard to spot gross abuse of this and to clamp down on it.

Until recently Mr Landy had an Ebay business (registered with HMRC) with over 7000 feedback at 100% positive. He sold records and CDs as well as other memorabilia and collectables. This business had grown from his hobby and after his problems with depression (and what that led to) he gave up his stressful job to concentrate on Ebay full time.

Things were going reasonably well despite the recession, although we had a feeling that Ebay's constant tinkering with the rules was going to put the dampers on things. The free p&p in the music related categories was the final straw, partly for the reasons stated by Noomill, and a few months ago he gave up the business and went back to full-time employment. The whole feeling of Ebay as a fun place to buy and sell has been lost and I for one rarely bother to look there any more.

Not that Ebay cares two hoots, but they have lost a good customer in us as we spent a fair amount there when we were better off - antiques and collectables being my weakness. Good job I can't afford them any more;)

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

What you have outlined is exactly how I see it when I buy and how I sold stuff myself, but not with p and p that high. That is a legitimate way of looking at it. However, not all bidders genuinely see it like that. They take the p and p charge in good faith. Why shouldn't they disagree if they are unaware of another way of looking at it? It's not their fault they are unaware and a few of them might still disagree on principle after it is explained to them. It can lead to arguments and resentment. You surely can't deny this?

The fact is, they know how much the P&P costs beforehand, and they know what they are buying... so ultimately if they get what they have bought, for the price they paid, what's the problem? If the packaging was so poor that the item got damaged during transit then by all means complain about it, but otherwise I really don't see the issue.

I can think of a particular online retailer who sell a variety of things and they charge a flat rate delivery of £3.95 per order, regardless of the number, weight and value of items. Now if somebody buys a few big heavy things and a big parcel turns up delivered, then they might think they've got a bargain. If they order something small and light (an SD card for example) and it turns up in a jiffy bag, then that may seem a bit OTT - especially as the seller has bulk buying powers and no doubt discounted postal services so the overall cost to them of providing the delivery service is much less than the ebay seller. The person buying the item wouldn't complain to the online retailer, so why kick off with an ebay seller for exactly the same issue?

If you don't like the cost of the postage, and think it looks too high, don't buy. However it makes a lot more sense to look at the overall price you're paying to see whether you're getting value.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The fact is, they know how much the P&P costs beforehand, and they know what they are buying... so ultimately if they get what they have bought, for the price they paid, what's the problem? If the packaging was so poor that the item got damaged during transit then by all means complain about it, but otherwise I really don't see the issue.

Yes, but some buyers understand p and p as p and p and nothing more. The problem is they get an item, see what it cost to be posted to them, figure out the packaging can't possibly account for the difference and feel cheated. It's an issue to anyone that sees it that way. It's not an issue to anyone that sees it our way. We don't see an issue; they do see an issue.

I can think of a particular online retailer who sell a variety of things and they charge a flat rate delivery of £3.95 per order, regardless of the number, weight and value of items. Now if somebody buys a few big heavy things and a big parcel turns up delivered, then they might think they've got a bargain. If they order something small and light (an SD card for example) and it turns up in a jiffy bag, then that may seem a bit OTT - especially as the seller has bulk buying powers and no doubt discounted postal services so the overall cost to them of providing the delivery service is much less than the ebay seller. The person buying the item wouldn't complain to the online retailer, so why kick off with an ebay seller for exactly the same issue?

Yes, most online retailers use the term 'delivery'. It's a bit strange, but I think it clicks differently to p and p in the heads of many buyers. Also, I don't think you can always see what it cost for them to mail the item. Many of them have business contracts and their items just get stamped.

If you don't like the cost of the postage, and think it looks too high, don't buy.

Some bidders just 'assume' they are getting a fair quote. I agree that they 'should' think about it.

However it makes a lot more sense to look at the overall price you're paying to see whether you're getting value.

Yes, I agree 100%. However, it's not happening enough to avoid a lot of misunderstanding and resentment and it won't ever be like that. That's the sad reality of the situation.

I think the best way to solve all postage charges would be to just limit yourself to purchasing items from your next door neighbour. You would also have double buying power if you lived in a mid terraced house.

A polite knock on your living room wall may even cut out traveling expenses as they could bring the item to you in next to no time;)

:lol::lol:

godmother- What a nice seller you had there, but please dont count on everyone being so amienable in future. Ebayers usually cut newbies a lot of slack for their first few deals, but eventually you will have to play the game like everyone else.

Ebayers have to cut all buyers a hell of a lot of slack seeing as they can't be negged any more, so sellers are constantly falling over themselves to get a decent report. I never negged anyone when it was available to us, but having the option did usually get buyers to be reasonable in their expectations - not so now.

I don't think GM would have an issue here at all if she complained. She would simply tell ebay that the item cost under £2 to send and yet they were wanting to charge a fiver for standard postage, then another £3 if you wanted the (75p) protection of Recorded del. In all probability it'd be the seller who ended up with being accused of circumventing fees (which it is) rather that GM of not paying. I'm not against people not paying ebay when they can get away with it I have to say - the less money they make from their 'new and improved' rules the better!

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

I dont think this issue will ever be resolved.

Some people want and expect something for nothing (less if possible)

Some people eventually understand that it does cost sellers to send stuff and that there are other costs involved.

Some people just like to argue.

Renegotiation - meant to add to my post yesterday I would have repped you for your very well put posts if we weren't in the Bear Garden. If I find you round the site I'll bing you on another one!

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

I dont think this issue will ever be resolved.

Some people want and expect something for nothing (less if possible)

Some people eventually understand that it does cost sellers to send stuff and that there are other costs involved.

Some people just like to argue.

Ok i see your point but can u tell me why l should have to pay that seller a extra £3 for them to ask the post office worker for a parcel to go recorded delivery when it will cost them no more than 75p to send?

I will never be using that seller again and to be honest have even given them bad rep for the postage costs and put in that i think they are over charging and why.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

You didnt need to pay an extra £3 and never did.

You only agreed to pay the total price (item cost and delivery) on the auction page at the time the auction ended.

The seller was trying it on, either:

a) innocently, because they didnt know what the were doing, or

(more likely)

b) throught they could get away with it.

They didnt, and good for you. :D

Let's be honest - sellers do overcharge on postage. However, I've brought clothing items for 99p (brand new) with £3.00 postage. Still a bargain. I think that a lot of sellers do make on the postage, but as long as the item is a low price then I don't mind paying.

You didnt need to pay an extra £3 and never did.

You only agreed to pay the total price (item cost and delivery) on the auction page at the time the auction ended.

The seller was trying it on, either:

a) innocently, because they didnt know what the were doing, or

(more likely)

b) throught they could get away with it.

They didnt, and good for you. :D

I know i did not but that is what they expected me to pay extra for recorded delivery.

Let's be honest - sellers do overcharge on postage. However, I've brought clothing items for 99p (brand new) with £3.00 postage. Still a bargain. I think that a lot of sellers do make on the postage, but as long as the item is a low price then I don't mind paying.

Well yes but it stil doe not make it less of a rip off.

Ok i see your point but can u tell me why l should have to pay that seller a extra £3 for them to ask the post office worker for a parcel to go recorded delivery when it will cost them no more than 75p to send?

I will never be using that seller again and to be honest have even given them bad rep for the postage costs and put in that i think they are over charging and why.

Are you for real? You sent them your own prepaid packaging, which they agreed to use, and then still give them a neg and state they have overcharged for postage?! Blimey, perhaps you could do everyone a favour and post your ebay ID on here so that they can add you to their blocked bidders list to avoid any aggro in future.

And you didn't have to pay anything, you bid on the item and agreed to that price, nobody forced you to!

Why would you want to pay extra for Recorded Delivery anyway? It adds no benefit to yourself whatsover, just means that you have to sign for it when the postman delivers it, you want to pay extra for the privilege of scribbling on a piece of paper.

The seller may be charging an extra few quid for Recorded Delivery for a number of reasons - if it's ordinary First Class post he could just stick stamps on and throw it in a postbox, if you're insisting on Recorded Delivery then he may have to make a special trip to the Post Office - fuel, parking costs, etc.

At the end of the day, the postage costs are clearly displayed on the listing - if you don't want to pay it, don't bid.

Are you for real? You sent them your own prepaid packaging, which they agreed to use, and then still give them a neg and state they have overcharged for postage?! Blimey, perhaps you could do everyone a favour and post your ebay ID on here so that they can add you to their blocked bidders list to avoid any aggro in future.

And you didn't have to pay anything, you bid on the item and agreed to that price, nobody forced you to!

Why would you want to pay extra for Recorded Delivery anyway? It adds no benefit to yourself whatsover, just means that you have to sign for it when the postman delivers it, you want to pay extra for the privilege of scribbling on a piece of paper.

The seller may be charging an extra few quid for Recorded Delivery for a number of reasons - if it's ordinary First Class post he could just stick stamps on and throw it in a postbox, if you're insisting on Recorded Delivery then he may have to make a special trip to the Post Office - fuel, parking costs, etc.

At the end of the day, the postage costs are clearly displayed on the listing - if you don't want to pay it, don't bid.

I dont quiet think u understood my issue.

B4 i bid on the item l contacted the seller and asked if they would send the item recorded delivery as i needed the item urgently in fact i needed it yesterday.

They were happy to at a extra cost of £3.00 and said they would take it into work with them monday morning and put it threw then, The seller told me they worked for the local post office.

I asked why if they were charging a extra £3.00 for the item to go recorded delivery when as they work for the post office they know it only costs 75p and the £5 charge would be more than enough to cover it.

The seller said because she wont get enough to cover her original cost of the item on the 99p bids section.

I then asked her if it would be ok that if i win i send my own packaging this is to include the stamps and Recorded delivery slip for the item and just pay her what i bid. She said yes. I am guessing female as she had a female name.

So i bid and sent the postal order and packaging. She got the money and i got my parcel.

She did not have to make a special trip as i sent the pacakge to her work place as she requested. Also as she works for the post office then as she would have been at work no special trip would have been needed. Also i was not willing to risk standard delivery as i am still waiting on a letter that was posted 2 weeks ago in Ednborough by a friend who has moved up there to arrive.

On and to point out ur mistake i only gave her bad rep on the postage charge as she was clearly trying to over charge.

On and to point out ur mistake i only gave her bad rep on the postage charge as she was clearly trying to over charge.

Exactly my point - you didn't pay her a single penny for postage as you provided your own packaging and stamps - if she didn't charge you anything then clearly you weren't overcharged!

And for future reference, Recorded Delivery doesn't get there any quicker, it is exactly the same as normal First or Second Class post except you have to sign for it at the other end - that's the only difference. It travels with the normal mail, in the same way - it's not a trackable service. So if you're trying to get a bargain there's really no need to waste the additional money on Recorded Delivery as the item won't get to you any quicker whatsoever.