can anyone help me with my problem with eon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I apologise in advance for the length of this post.

I moved into my property, a two bedroomed cottage, in october 03.

The electric meter was the old dial type with spinning wheel.

There is a three phase supply to the house but only one is connected to anything.

After a year of normal electricity bills powergen came and fitted a digital meter.

The next 4 quarterly bills were normal and paid on time.

A couple of weeks after the last of these i received another bill for £2582 36.

I contacted powergen straight away but the dispute ran for over a year during which time i spoke to dozens of powergen people.

eventually they agreed that they had made a mistake, cancelled the bill and fitted another digital meter.

exactly the same thing then occurred.

I had 4 fairly normal quarterly bills, all paid on time then

got another bill this time for£3100.

This was in august 07.

Since then I have spoke almost on a daily basis to various people at eon (as it is now called)

They all agree something is wrong but i keep getting letters telling me i have made no attempt to resolve things.

In january 08 I had to leave my mothers funeral following a call from a neighbour that i had burglers.

I arrived home to find that people from eon had trampled through the floral tributes in the garden,

broken down my front door,

let my house cat out which was then run over,

trampled mud all over my carpets but not done anything to the meter.

I should add that i had no notice of their intended visit.

The dispute is still unresolved, they fitted a check meter in parallel with the normal one but of course it read the same.

In march this year they took the case to northampton court although i didnt receive the paperwork untill after the court date so couldnt attend.

Naturally the court found in their favour.

Have tried energy watch and onbudsman but they cant help as it has been to court

The amount they are now claiming is in excess of £8000.

In may this year i got a visit from a bailiff from an outfit calling themselves 'high court enforcement'

I explained the situation and told them the dispute was very much ongoing.

however, i am still using electricity so agreed to pay this bloke £500 and a standing order for £120 per month as a gesture of goodwill

and to offset ongoing usage.

He assured me that the full amount would go to eon but

I have since found out this was a lie as they deduct a third of the money for themselves.

These baliffs come back each month telling me that if i dont increase my payments they will forclose on my possessions.

I should point out that i have solid fuel heating, all energy saving bulbs, no electric machinery.

we creep about at night using solar lights from the garden as we darent switch anything on.

I have had inspections done by independant electrical engineers who cant explain the high meter readings.

One suggested that the meter and three phase supply were unbalanced as 2 phases arent connected to anything.

They have measured my daily standing load to be an average of 3.6 amps.

Eon estimate that my daily usage is 76.2 kwh.

My wife is on tranqulisers over this,

I am unwell, we are in our sixties and at our wits end.

I have tried to get solicitors but nobody seems to want to take on eon and i probably couldnt afford it anyway.

The only solution seems to let these bullies force me to sell my house to pay a bill that cant possibly be correct

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need some advice on this, I was going to suggest the ombudsmen but I know they can't rule if its been to court. I presume the court was just to do with the outstanding balance, in which case I would speak to them again.

Also speak to Consumer Focus.

76Kwh's is a huge amount. I use 5 units per day or less, most people I speak to on a daily basis use 12-20 units per day on average.

To give you some idea a washing machine would use 2-3 units on a 40 degree wash. Dish washer/dryer 3-4 units.

I am concerned that you have mentioned a three phase supply as this suggests high usage at the address at some point. Are you CERTAIN "only one is connected to anything"

The most important thing of all is your age, and I doubt they would thank me for saying this BUT as you are elderly they CANNOT disconnect the supply. They'd even be on dodgy ground fitting a prepayment meter.

They MUST have some kind of energy efficiency team, speak to them, complain to customer services. Demand to know how you are using 76 units per day.

Even people in all eletric properties don't usually use that much.

I don't get the impression from your post that there is a swimming pool out back or a vast number of electrical heaters and what's got me particularly confused is that you get a period of reasonable bills then a huge one. Estimates cannot explain it, since once a reading was obtained this would be factored into future estimate.

Continue to pay your consumption as best you can work out but refuse to pay anymore.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

hi there, thank you for your reply,

the cottage was once part of a farm but the three phase goes no further than the main fuses on 2

the third going to the consumer unit.

no swimming pools just the normal domestic items.

My engineer measured our average daily standing load at 3.6 amps.

on another test he switched EVERYTHING on (including stuff we never normally use) and the load was 76 amps.

I have no idea how to convert this to kwh.

The meter just seems to have a mind of its own.

Its probably nothing but mobile phones dont work here and car batteries go flat in a couple of days.

My wife says this is spooky but i do know that digital meters can be affected by some things.

Incidentaly my neighbours have given me copies of their bills and they are normal. (the bills not the neighbours)

Just doesnt make any sense but as eon are the experts surely it is for them to sort out rather than just sit back and sue me for fortunes.

Was the bill for over a year ago? You can dispute this as they can only bill you for the last 12 months. If they made a mistake or whatever and they billed you for energy used over 12 months ago, they can't bill you for this.

Go to the Ombudsman, they'll let you know what to do. Hope this works.

Hi 90 dc. thank you for your reply.

The initial bill for £3100 was for 07 but since then it has grown to over £8000.

The problem seems to be that the meter is over reading but of course when they wired a check meter in parallel it read the same.

I dont think the 12 month thing will apply as this is an ongoing dispute and of course the amount of electricity used increases as well.

I dont expect anything for nothing, just to pay the going rate for what i genuinley use.

If they are correct my bill for 07 including the 4 quarters that i paid for was over £4000.

I think the first job i need to do is somehow cancel the county court judgement (that i had no opportunity to defend)

and get the 'high court' bandits off my back. Onbudsman was no help at all to be honest

• 3 weeks later...

the number for the energy efficiency team is 0500 10 20 00 i think?! give them a call, they may be able to help and look where this elec is going. are you sure that the supply goes no further than the cottage? has a private electrician confirmed this,

If its an all elec property, the 3 phase would possibly be for e7 + weekend boost for heating? (we call it heatwise or RHT)

"Eon estimate that my daily usage is 76.2 kwh."

This is a lot most people use between 12 & 20. Thier energy efficiency team should be able to give some idea of what the appliances you have would use.

I would try again with the Ombudsmen since it is only the debt that the court would rule on and if you weren't able to attend (due to paperwork arriving late) then this will have just been rubber stamped. Your main ongoing complaint is the usage (and the poor service) and how can it be so high.

I don't see how you could have four normal bills then a huge one, unless the normal bills were estimated, but then once they got a reading this should be factored into future estimates.

Have you considered contacting a local paper? Often they like this kind of story and it can prompt the company to take some action... I wouldn't usually recomment this but I'd say its worth a short given the effect this is having and the fact other parties you could normally go to can't (or won't) get involved.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just an update on this dispute that is still ongoing.

eon closed my account (i still have to make my payments to the bailiffs)

and they opened a fresh account for me.

of course i cant afford to pay any of the bills as I am still paying £120 a month off the origional bill.

The meter is still running at the speed of light and they say i now owe a further seven grand on top of the origional alleged debt.

the latest offer of help from Mr Wolf at eon is if i dont pay up in full now he will make me a bankrupt.

I just dont know what to do next

I find it strange that my post has been on here for nearly two years concerning my dispute with eon

yet none of the eon reps has seen their way clear to even comment let alone try and help.

Many thanks to the other folk on here for their suggestions.

Unfortunately eon are like a dog with a bone now they are trying to rip me off for around fifteen grand in total.

Hi all, Just an update on this dispute that is still ongoing. eon closed my account (i still have to make my payments to the bailiffs) and they opened a fresh account for me. of course i cant afford to pay any of the bills as I am still paying £120 a month off the origional bill. The meter is still running at the speed of light and they say i now owe a further seven grand on top of the origional alleged debt. the latest offer of help from Mr Wolf at eon is if i dont pay up in full now he will make me a bankrupt. I just dont know what to do next

i think you really need to contact BBC Watchdog & Dont get done get Dom...

Consumer champion Dominic Littlewood is back for a new BBC 1 series of Don't Get Done Get Dom.

If you feel you've been treated unfairly by a company please call 0207 598 7210

I find it strange that my post has been on here for nearly two years concerning my dispute with eon yet none of the eon reps has seen their way clear to even comment let alone try and help. Many thanks to the other folk on here for their suggestions. Unfortunately eon are like a dog with a bone now they are trying to rip me off for around fifteen grand in total.

Consumer champion Dominic Littlewood is back for a new BBC 1 series of Don't Get Done Get Dom.

Hi kracer,

We have only recently started to post on this forum so we won't have seen your thread from 2 years ago, as you have now posted again it has come up to the top of the page.

Reading through your post it sounds like you have exhausted many different areas within E.ON and it sounds like it has gone past anything I can deal with now.

You can send me your account number and details to the email address in my profile page and I can look to see who is now dealing with it and pass your post on to them, if you would like me to.

Helena

Hi ihateyes, Tried that number and they said they not doing any programs at this time. Do you have any influence in that area?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a recent experience with British Gas where they were billing me for someone else's meter.

It turns out there was a cross metering and supply issue

- with erroneous transfers between EON and British Gas.

I convinced them by getting an engineer round, having him watch my meter,

and turning off the mains fuse in my apartment.

When the meter was the only one of a bunch of 15 that stopped moving, he agreed that it was mine.

Shortly afterwards, my £2500 bill for electricity became £650 (2 years supply!)

because British Gas had made a metering mistake, and only billed me for the last 12 months.

In your case, can you not ask for a representative from EON to come to your house, watch the meter,

and turn off the mains fuse in your cottage?

If you turn off the mains fuse, and your meter is still spinning, then it's obviously not YOU that is using the electricity,

and it must be wired somewhere else?

With that sort of usage, maybe you are supplying electricity to a couple of other places!

• 2 years later...

I have a digital electric meter with two readings, ro1 and ro2. I have taken some readings and got the usage figures (ro1= 63.28 and ro2= 214.77) my question is how do I convert these figures to a monetary value. approx. would be good enough at this stage. many thanks in anticipation

Hi Kracer

Fairly straight forward:-

r01 = 63 x night rate = total

r02 = 215 x day rate = total

Add the two totals, work out 5% V.A.T. add that to the totals.

No conversions required in V.A.T.

thanks for the reply but you slightly missed the point of my question. are my usage figures the number of units used and what do eon charge per unit (roughly)

Yes it's the number of units used. The charge per unit depends on what tariff your on, there are quite a few, e.g.

It looks like you've got Economy 7.

16.180p per kWh day

7.010p per kWh night

standing charge £57.09 / year

Just to add there will be a small reduction for paying by DD.

Also are they Actual Readings or estimates?

thanks for the reply but you slightly missed the point of my question. are my usage figures the number of units used and what do eon charge per unit (roughly)

thanks again. that was one weeks usage which if I am correct is about 40 quid for the week. would you believe eon charge me 305.00 per month and have just told me that is going up to 330 odd. not bad for 2 pensioners in a 2 bedroom cottage