• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mbna- Restons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a nervous newbie, and have got myself in a pickle, I made the move a while back to join payplan (who have been greatl) and have been following a payment plan religiously, we had a few cards with MBNA who have all been sold onto various DCA's, except one of the smaller ones who it appears has gone straight to Restons, we received a letter from them about three weeks ago, which Payplan sent onto them our fininacial statement and then yesterday, we received a County Claim form from them , is it usual for this to happen, we are not disputing the debt, just saying that we have difficulties in paying it at this time, and have continued to pay what we can, if they take us to County Court, won't the judge looking at it see the same as payplan? is there any benefit Restons would get by going down this route? Sorry for all the questions, kinda scared about this...:confused:

Absolutely Appreciative:):):):):)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi & welcome. This all happened to me in Feb this year with Restons, I am in Payplan aswell. MBNA were the only ones who were being unaccepting of my payments I could make at £20 mth.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/185814-court-papers-help-required.html

I then decided as they were not playing ball with me to look into seeing if they had a valid Credit card agreement and valid Default notice in order to have the right to serve me these court papers in the first place. I got lots of helpful advice on here. Have you applied for your CCA previously? Also may be worth using photobucket to post up your Default notice minus your personal details for the experienced caggers to take a look at it for you.

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

Hi MGID,

Welcome to CAG.

I'm sure you 'll get plenty of help here.

As Restons have now issued a claim against you; you will need to complete the Acknowledgment of Service..........and that you intend to Defend All.

If you admit the debt, then you will get a CCJ against you by default without having the opprtunity to see if Restons\MBNA paperwork is in order.

Hi Monkeygirlindebt

What year was your MBNA card taken out ?

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Thank you all for your responses! I'm not quite sure what year, but I'm sure at least five years ago. payplan have asked that we send the Calim form to them, but I don't think they will fight it will they? If i fight this Mbna debt, will it affect the other debts which I beleive MBNA have accepted the payment plan?

Dont send the claim form to Payplan they will admit the debt on your behalf & the next thing you have will be a ccj then if you have a property Restons then will want to go for a charging order.

Did you get a default notice from MBNA as it would be useful for you to post (photobucket) this up to see if its defective? Also can you post the paticulars of the claim form on here so that experienced Caggers can have a look at that too for you? Decisions going forward may be based on this knowledge aswell as your Credit card agreement details/date if known??

Any other debts I have are still with Payplan & have continued along quite nicely. I have only done to MBNA what they have brought onto me, my court appearance saw them off at the first hurdle although I'm still not out of the woods yet. With the help from others on this site you too will get all the assistance you need so dont be scared :)

Thank you all for your responses! I'm not quite sure what year, but I'm sure at least five years ago. payplan have asked that we send the Calim form to them, but I don't think they will fight it will they? If i fight this Mbna debt, will it affect the other debts which I beleive MBNA have accepted the payment plan?

Right you need to as the other caggers said defend all the claim.

If you admit any part of this dept, it will give the other side a better chance in winning. Payplan will not defend any case, as it costs them money and probably not got the expert advice that is on here to take the case on. You will need to send Reston's a CPR 31.14, that will put them in stricked proof to weather they hold any inforceable documents they could use in Court. On the other MBNA cases you have in due time, MBNA will probably sell them on as well.

Gaz

OK kokey I've had a go at this, first time on photobucket as well, so I hope it's gone ok, i took off (I think all the identifiying details) and have just noticed the CCJ has the date of contract as July 2006CCF01102009_00000-1-1.jpg

CCF03102009_00001.jpgCCF03102009_00000-1.jpg

Edited by citizenB
links not working properly

Right the date of issue on the claim form is 30th September 2009.

Your time line will be

Date of issue to date of service (5 days allowed), so it will be assumed you received the claim from at the latest 5th October 2009.

From then you have 14 days within which to acknowledge the claim online. If you are going to defend in full then you will have a further 14 days.

In total 33 days from the date of issue on the claim form.

You must now send a request to Restons for information. ie a copy of the agreement on which they base their claim. Use the draft letter below. Read it carefully, add or delete what is required and where prompted and send to the solicitor immediately either by recorded delivery or if you can afford it.. special delivery.

You can acknowledge service online. Print off the receipt for your records.

Dear Sir,

Re: (Claimant's name) v (Your name) Case No:

CPR 31.14 Request

On (date) I received the Claim Form in this case issued by you out of the (Name) County Court.

I confirm having returned my acknowledgement of service to the court in which I indicate my intention to contest all of your claim.

[Prior to the issue of proceedings I had delivered a request for the production of the agreement mentioned in the Claim Form and on which you rely. That request was ignored][delete if no such request was delivered]

Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim:

1 the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2 the assignment*

3 the default notice*

4 the termination notice*

5 [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]*

* delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim.

[Although your claim is for a sum which is not more than £5,000.00 and will in all likelihood be allocated to the small claims track for determination upon my delivering a defence, at this moment in time I have not delivered my defence and the case has not been allocated to a track. In consequence the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise]#

# delete if claim for a sum exceeding £5,000.00

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter. Your CPR 31 duties extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for the originals of the documents I have requested, the better for you to be able to verify the document's authenticity and to provide me with a legible copy. Further, where I have requested a copy of a document, the original of which is now in the possession of another person, you will have a right to possession of that document if you have mentioned it in your case. You must take immediate steps to recover and preserve it for the purpose of this case.

Where I have mentioned a document and there is in your possession more than one version of that same document owing to a modification, obliteration or other marking or feature, each version will be a separate document and you must provide a copy of each version of it to me. Your obligations extend to making a reasonable and proportionate search for any version(s) to include an obligation to recover and preserve such version(s) which are now in the possession of a third party.

In accordance with CPR 31.15© I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR 31.14 request.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing. You must tell me before the time for compliance with this request has expired. In telling me you require more time you must tell me what steps you have taken and propose to take in order to comply with this request and also state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition your statement must be accompanied with a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

If you are unable to comply with this request and believe that you will never be able to comply with this request you must tell me in writing.

Please note that if you should fail to comply with this request, fail to request more time or fail to agree to an extension of time for the filing of my defence, I will make an application to the court for an order that the proceedings be struck out or stayed for non-compliance and a summary costs order.

I do hope this will not be necessary and look forward to hearing from you.

yours faithfully

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi monkeygirl

The POC is pants for a starter:

1. Doesn't identify what type of agreement although there is an account no.

2. They are claiming stat. interest. If this is a credit agreement (eg. card or loan), it's not permissable - County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12)) Section 2 (3)(a) which sets out that this is the case if in relation to a debt regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Also have you ever had any charges added to your credit card & not reclaimed them? eg. overlimit, late payment. Not only are they unlawful & can be reclaimed (as a counterclaim if you wish) but it would make the arrears in the DN wrong (& therefore defective DN ;)) & the sum on the POC wrong too.

If you need statements from this account to calculate the charges, suggest you SAR MBNA asap. The template is here, amend to suit:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/110--data-protection-act-1998-subject-access-request-

As with the CPR request letter above, don't sign the letter - print or use dig. sig (see CAG signature maker) - send Rec. Del. with £10.00 PO. It is not unknown for creditors to do a bit of copying & pasting re. agreements etc. They have 40 days to provide you with the info. - plenty of time before a hearing.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

That's a shame as this would show if the default was valid or invalid.

Ok, in future save all corrispondace you receive from these creditors.

Gaz

Hi Gaz when I was in court Restons were put to strict proof that my DN was served 1st class because as far as I remember it was 2nd!!!!!! DJ asked them for proof of this from MBNA & nodded when I stated perhaps they should have sent such important documentation recorded or special delivery!

Monkeygirlindebt - The DN is dated 7th Jul for remedy by the 24th July. They have to give 14 CLEAR days to rectify any breach. Second class would have meant you were served this document Saturday 11th July.

1. Interpretation Act 1978, Section 7

This states:-

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1. Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2. To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3. Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4. This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

I am wondering therefore if the DN here is within the time scales :roll:

Will day one be Sat 11th July (the day of deemed service???) if not then its 13 days

Anybody???

I am wondering therefore if the DN here is within the time scales :rolleyes:

Will day one be Sat 11th July (the day of deemed service???) if not then its 13 days

No, you don't count Saturday as a first postal day.

Quote:

1. Interpretation Act 1978, Section 7

This states:-

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1. Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2. To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3. Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4. This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

Gaz

The DN is defective for the simple reason it does not allow the 14 days required by parliament to rectify the Default Notice.

If the DN was posted on Tuesday 7th July 2009 by UKMail Special postal service then it would be deemed served on Monday 13th July as Saturday and Sunday are not working days.

Having received the DN on Monday 13th July gives only 11 days to rectify, not the 14 days that Parliament clearly stipulated, when they passed the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Unfortunately for MBNA, if a Default Notice is defective then the creditor may only pursue the debtor for the amount of the arrears stated on the Default Notice thanks to the case law of Woodchester v Swain.

Please look at the link below - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/56-cases/162-woodchester-lease-v-swain-a-co-1998-default-notices-

Wow you guys know your stuff:D Thank you for all your help, I've just prepared my CPR 31.14, and am going to complete my Acknowledgement of service. In terms of the default notice, it states the full amount of the debt oustanding, not the arrears, so they must of covered their bums there!

Also despite notifing them of my new address, and having received earlier correspodance to the new address, they did actually send the default notice to the old address, is this something else that could make the default invalid?

In terms of the default notice, it states the full amount of the debt oustanding, not the arrears, so they must of covered their bums there!

Definitely! :D

Also despite notifing them of my new address, and having received earlier correspodance to the new address, they did actually send the default notice to the old address, is this something else that could make the default invalid?

Not in itself, but you should ask for proof of posting otherwise how do you know it's been sent at a time that would allow you sufficient no. of days to rectify? ;)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Thank you all for your support, this site is great, I didnt get my letter off last I struggled wioth my digital signature, going to have another go now, i

You don't really need to do a signature for a CCA, you can just type your name or if your not sure just print your name. But make sure if you print your name you get a copy.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my CPR request off, and they would have this nearly two weeks now, I havent had a response so far, and god knows with this postal strike, my county claim is dated 30 sep, so do I just sit tight for the next 6-7 days, or should i be doing something? just feeling a little anxious....

Have you got your defence ready yet...its unlikely you will have any docs from your CPR request before your defence needs to be filed, they are reknown for that. MBNA Help needed posting #35 is a copy of my 8000 character defence. Your welcome to chop & change any of this defence to suit :)