• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mbna- Restons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did you send your AoS in on time? i.e. 14 days after service of claim form?

If so, did you put that you will defend all?

If you did the above you now have a further 14 days to submit your defence. I make that the 2 Nov. If they haven't complied with your CPR31.14 request by then, it will have to be an embarassed (holding) defence stating that you do not have the docs. to provide a full defence & asking the court to throw it out. If you want some help with this, post up again about the 28 Oct or if you receive any docs. :)

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I sent my AOS in time, Ive also received from Restons today, a copy of the signed credit agreement, a copy of the credit card agreement with my new address on it, and a recreated copy of the default notice, which isnt a exact copy but the dates are the same, the letter also says that the client reamins the creditor to the agreemnet, and has not assigned its rights under it and that the termination notice is not applicable in this instance.

Absolutely Appreciative:):):):):)

Could you post up the agreements, the DN & the letter re. the termination notice (minus your personal details) please? Not sure what they mean re. the termination notice not applicable - do they mean they didn't send one? :confused:

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I would also advise sending off a Subject Access Request letter to MBNA and additionally ask for a copy of the Customer Information Sytem print out or "Comms Log". This will cost £10.00 but will be worth it. Pay by postal order, do NOT sign the request letter and send by Recorded Delivery to MBNA's Registered Head Office.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca

I would also advise looking at this link; save and print off a copy for the future ;)

img011.jpg picture by paulbaxter009 - Photobucket

I know I said that the copy default was the same as the original, but on a recheck, the values are different, the original default had the full amount of the balance outstanding to be paid to remedy this breach, the copy says the arrears balance needed to be paid, significantly less...

Copies of doc's (If I get this bit right)

CCF27102009_00000-2.jpg

">CCF27102009_00001.jpg

">CCF27102009_00002.jpg

">">CCF27102009_00003.jpgCCF27102009_00004.jpg

">">CCF27102009_00005.jpg

">CCF27102009_00006.jpg

">CCF27102009_00007.jpg">

Edited by citizenB
sorted out links

I know I said that the copy default was the same as the original, but on a recheck, the values are different, the original default had the full amount of the balance outstanding to be paid to remedy this breach, the copy says the arrears balance needed to be paid, significantly less...

Oh, very interesting!! They've realised when they reconstructed the copy that the original was defective & they wouldn't be able to EVER claim the full balance from you. They were obviously hoping you wouldn't have kept the original. KEEP IT VERY SAFE!! :D

When does your defence have to be in by?

Edited by foolishgirl
typos

The Court form is dated the 30th September so I think by the 2nd November 2009, however, I'm probably going to do it the 1st November 09, as I have to work late 2nd! I'm reading all the help which is fantastic, i thank you all, but I am struggling in these foreign waters:eek:

what you should do (IMO) is make sure that you have "two " bites at the cherry

I personally would apply right away for a strike out of their claim on the basis that they have no cause of action

the first DN they sent you was not a DN, it was a TN (it stated that it had ALREADY defaulted you) and claimed the full balance of the account, it was an un lawful rescission of the agreement after which they may only claim the true outstanding arrears at the time of termination (not including charges)

It cannot do that until and unless it has previously issued an effective DN giving you an opportunity to remedy any alleged breach

the DN also states that if you do so within 14 days of service upon you of the DN then it will be as if the breach had never occured- how could that be if they have already defaulted you at the Credit reference agencies and terminated the agreement

They should also have sent you a letter before action which it appears they did not do

I'm like a fish out of water, and even though I copied and pasted from other defences, Thank you soooo much, I worried this isn't adequate, could someone give me some advice to whether this is sufficient.

Between

************* - Claimant

And

************* - Defendant

Defence

• I, ********** of ************** make this statement as my defence to the claim brought by **************

• The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.
  • The claimant fails to plead that the claim is brought under a regulated credit agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, yet the claimant claims statutory interest which the claimant should surely know it is not entitled to by virtue of the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12)) in particular section 2 (3) which expressly prohibits such an award.
  • The Default Notice served on the 7th July 2009 needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

24. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge

Signed …………………

Date

OOh when I say I don't think this is adequate I mean everything i've copied and pasted is brilliant, I mean I don't think Ive got it right in applying it to my case, just in case anyone thinks I wasn't be appreciative, I truly am thankful for all your help.

I'm like a fish out of water, and even though I copied and pasted from other defences, Thank you soooo much, I worried this isn't adequate, could someone give me some advice to whether this is sufficient.

Between

************* - Claimant

And

************* - Defendant

Defence

• I, ********** of ************** make this statement as my defence to the claim brought by **************

• The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.

• The claimant fails to plead that the claim is brought under a regulated credit agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, yet the claimant claims statutory interest which the claimant should surely know it is not entitled to by virtue of the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12)) in particular section 2 (3) which expressly prohibits such an award.

• The Default Notice served on the 7th July 2009 needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

24. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge

Signed …………………

Date

These need to be numbered not bullet pointed.

I am not sure whether the defence is what you need. I will ask others to look in on you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Monkeygirl, IMO you need to make more of the DN issue. Suggestion below for you to consider amending & adding in:

xxxx County Court

Case No:

Between MBNA

and

xxxxxxx

DEFENCE

1. I, xxxx of xxxx am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim brought by MBNA.

2. I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

(a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or preceding the alleged cause of action. The type of account has not been identified & no particulars are offered in relation to the method by which the Claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, the details of any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the Claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the Claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served with the Particulars of Claim.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served with the Particulars of Claim.

4. The Defendant admits receipt of a default notice dated 7 July 2009 but puts the Claimant to strict proof of date & method of mailing of such.

5. Contrary to legislation, the default notice received by the Claimant sought to claim not just the arrears but the full balance of the account at that time. Furthermore that sum also included unlawful charges applied to this account by the Claimant, rendering the Default Notice irredeemably invalid.

6. To be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. If the breach is capable of remedy, it must also specify a date not less than 14 days after the date of the service of the notice by which that action must be taken. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)

The Defendant therefore disputes the accuracy of the default notice, the time allowed for remedy of the breach & the sum claimed.

7. On xxxx the Defendant sent the Claimant a request under CPR 31.14 for further information to enable her to formulate a defence to this claim. The Claimant responded on xxx by remitting a copy of the default notice that the Claimant claims was sent to the Defendant on 7 July 2009. This notice differs from the actual copy in that the balance demanded has now been amended to a sum of arrears only to comply with the above quoted legislation. (Attachments 1 & 2).

The Defendant avers that this copy was not a true & accurate copy of the default notice actually received & that it was the Claimant's intention to deceive the Defendant & the court into the belief that it was in order to falsely substantiate this claim.

8. It is noted that the Claimant seeks to claim statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum. As this is a claim in relation to a debt regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the claimant is not entitled to do so and attention is drawn to The County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (No. 1184 (L. 12)) Section 2 (3)(a) where this is stated.

9. It is averred that no valid Default Notice has been served upon the Defendant and therefore the Claimant does not have a right of action. The Claimant’s entitlement to payment of the sum £xxxx is denied.

10. In view of matters pleaded, the defendant respectfully requests the court to give consideration to striking out the Claimant’s case pursuant to CPR 3.4:

(2) The court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court-

(a) That the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing or defending

(b) That the statement of case is an abuse of the court's process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; or

© That there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order.

Statement of Truth

I believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed

Dated

• Haha 1

I would be inclined to agree with FG.

You need to go through every paragraph of the defence you have copied and make abs sure that each applies to your situ.

We have seen peeps slated for submitting templated stuff.

The absolute essential part is that you fully understand everything thats in there......in doing that you should be able to be confident that it really DOES fit the purpose for your case.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Thank you yes I've gone through it and it does apply to my case, and I've gor the legal words too:) It's fantastic, thank you very much for all your help, i'm now going to work out how to submit it, i presume I can somehow online, so here goes, thanks again:):):)

Are you counterclaiming for unlawful charges MG? If so, if you have all the statements, you need to work out how much you've been charged, the contractural interest (that's what they charged you) & the 8% stat. interest on top. The details are here: http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/48-bank-templates/118-interest-calculation-spreadsheets

It looks as if I cant make the counterclaim unless I have the full amount of the charges, is that correct?

Correct but you could claim submit later & pay a fee or wait & see what the outcome of this is & then submit a seperate claim. If this claim is totally dismissed, you couldn't claim the charges.

Don't worry - it's because the POC was issued by Northampton which is just a clearing centre. If it hasn't been transferred automatically to a court near you, you will get the opportunity to state that you wish it so on the AQ when you receive it.