• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claim Stayed – Due to Unenforceable CCA Test Cases.

Blondie40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was out. Spoke to his sec' who said we wont know the full outcome until the end of the month.

Wont need to wait long then. Thursday is October.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi There, Just thaught I'd drop this in.

Does any one know when the test cases are up for a hearing?

30th September 09 before Mr Justice Smith according to the barrister who is doing the case

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/198059-unenforceability-cases-hold-until-31.html#post2395407

so much conjecture, there were cases on the 23rd aswell, no feedback from them.

this is a mess, the courts are a state, there is zero transparency in the entire system for unenforceables.

1-0 banks.

so much conjecture, there were cases on the 23rd aswell, no feedback from them.

this is a mess, the courts are a state, there is zero transparency in the entire system for unenforceables.

1-0 banks.

BANK OF SCOTLAND - V- MITCHELL JUDGEMENT

Quote:

9. Miss Gardner has given no reason for the withdrawal of the action. She is in no way to be criticised for the omission. She is bound to act in accordance with her instructions, and those instructions were presumably to say no more than she has in fact said. But this does not prevent me from drawing what is in my judgment the only inference which can possibly be drawn from what has happened, which is that the bank realises that if the issue were to be contested it would either lose on the issue or be at serious risk of losing. There may be hundreds of similar cases and the bank would plainly not wish other defaulting customers to get wind of an adverse decision on the fundamental point which is embodied in the quotation from Mr Berkley's written argument, which I have already set out.

Edited by citizenB
removed full judgement, not necessary to post everywhere.

LetItBeMe

I've seen BANK OF SCOTLAND -v- ROBERT MITCHELL before.

I love this bit:

9. Miss Gardner has given no reason for the withdrawal of the action. She is in no way to be criticised for the omission. She is bound to act in accordance with her instructions, and those instructions were presumably to say no more than she has in fact said. But this does not prevent me from drawing what is in my judgment the only inference which can possibly be drawn from what has happened, which is that the bank realises that if the issue were to be contested it would either lose on the issue or be at serious risk of losing. There may be hundreds of similar cases and the bank would plainly not wish other defaulting customers to get wind of an adverse decision on the fundamental point which is embodied in the quotation from Mr Berkley's written argument, which I have already set out.

B40

Hi There B40,

My point exactly, the Judiciary are aware that a vast majority of CCA’s are not enforceable, the banking system is also aware of the problem and that’s why they withdraw there claims at the last minute, thus stopping the enforceable issues being documented by the judiciary.

LetItBeMe

BANK OF SCOTLAND -v- ROBERT MITCHELL before.

the bank realises that if the issue were to be contested it would either lose on the issue or be at serious risk of losing.

B40

LIBM

LIBM

And after finding this site over two years ago and thanks to the information and advice on it regarding unenforceable agreements - that I have been able to defend four claims - two which the banks discontinued just a few days before the trials and one which was struck out.

And this one - currently stayed due to the hearing to be held in Manchester on 08 Oct.

B40,

It’s a numbers game with them. They work on a percentage strategy. We are the 3% of there debt portfolio that fights back, the other 97% succumb to there threats.

do you honestly think its only 3% that fight back?

i reckon at least 10% maybe more now all claims companies advertise heavy.

Baggio you may be correct but out of that 10% it maybe only 33.3% of them that see it through to the end game! And then it's a lottery ie. the Judge?

There is still apathy out there and that is what the institutes rely on. I think the tide is changing but it is a slow change and/but can it be allowed to continue, after all the government cannot change them - world pressure is trying but with what chance of success.

Properganda rules and money rules properganda.

Kel

PS. I want to be proved incorrect

The more people who are informed about the possibility of making a claim,the more claims that will be made.

The more claims that are made,the slower the responses by the bank will become.

They are incapable of dealing efficiently with the number of claims now-they can only get worse as the number of claims increase.

The numbers could easily run to several hundred thousand possibly, making settling them more cost effective than fighting them.:)

Middenmess I agree in its simplest form. But never underestimate the oppersition, they have not made their £££ by being simpletons. Untill there is political will it is a game of chess of counter moves with no side coming out on top - upsa, sorry! the banks don't need to win, just create a stand off.

The other side of the coin is: the back log forces this government to act, only this time they make everything retrospective and we loose!

Middenmess I agree in its simplest form. But never underestimate the oppersition, they have not made their £££ by being simpletons. Untill there is political will it is a game of chess of counter moves with no side coming out on top - upsa, sorry! the banks don't need to win, just create a stand off.

The other side of the coin is: the back log forces this government to act, only this time they make everything retrospective and we loose!

The banks have made their $$$ by the public ( including me) being simpletons. Now we have upped our game we are about to prove the banks are as simple as the rest of us. As for the Govt retrospectively moving the goalposts, forget it. The consumer IS about to come out on top in this battle of the simpletons. A month form now our position will be so much clearer. The courts will have direction in how to handle these cases.

The banks have made their $$$ by the public ( including me) being simpletons. Now we have upped our game we are about to prove the banks are as simple as the rest of us. As for the Govt retrospectively moving the goalposts, forget it. The consumer IS about to come out on top in this battle of the simpletons. A month form now our position will be so much clearer. The courts will have direction in how to handle these cases.

I dont think its wise to attempt to predict which way a judges decision will go to be honest.

S.