Channel 4 Dispatches to air debt collection exposé

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In saying that though...people should be fully entitled to ring the company if they wish & give them a piece of their minds given the appalling attitude shown to the public by the likes of Mark last night.

I wasnt aware there was a law against that?

Suggesting harm to somene...yes of course, that shouldnt happen.

But i do hope people are not encouraging others to stop simply contacting them to voice their feelings if they so wish? :mad:

Anyone who wishes to complain about Marlin and their Trading name companies, should direct their complaints to the Trading Standards Service in Worthing, this is the TS Home Authority for Marlin.

Trading Standards Service

Centenary House

Durrington Lane

Worthing

West Sussex

BN13 2QB

Telephone Number: 01243 642124

email: trading.standards@west sussex.gov.uk

The follwing link will provide details of the OFT Guidelines and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR's which is now UK Law) that Marlin are breaching.

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 03 Harassment

Clearly, Marlin and associatedits companies are breaching the CPUTR's, it is up to Trading Standards and the OFT to prosecute them!

The British Public has had enough!!!

AC

yes but the OFT seem to be doing sod-all about them, judging by their response to me, yesterday. HAving said that, my local TS paid my DCA a visit and they stopped the calls almost right away and that was before the TS forwarded the file down to the OFT!

Will certainly be interesting if they do a follow up.

DCAs are basically bottom feeders of the financial chain, and whilst they all express that they strictly follow the rules and regulations set out by the OFT, the reality of the situation normally tends to be the opposite - with the DCA attempting almost anything to obtain more money or commission, harassing and intimidating people.

The OFT informs people that they cannot get involved in individual disputes, I think there is a definate need for a body with more teeth than trading standards and the FOS that can get hands on when there are problems which arise, or that can get involved in customer disputes without the need for an individual having to go to court.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Will certainly be interesting if they do a follow up.

DCAs are basically bottom feeders of the financial chain, and whilst they all express that they strictly follow the rules and regulations set out by the OFT, the reality of the situation normally tends to be the opposite - with the DCA attempting almost anything to obtain more money or commission, harassing and intimidating people.

The OFT informs people that they cannot get involved in individual disputes, I think there is a definate need for a body with more teeth than trading standards and the FOS that can get hands on when there are problems which arise, or that can get involved in customer disputes without the need for an individual having to go to court.

Agree,

However, these people are breaching the CPUTR's, which was incorported into UK Law from an EEU Directive!

The guidelines are not law but the CPUTR's is law.

If one breaks the law, what would one expect to happen?

yes, one would have to face the consequences...

Trading Standards must investigate and prosecute!

If they do not, I for one would like to know, why not?

AC

Agree,

However, these people are breaching the CPUTR's, which was incorported into UK Law from an EEU Directive!

The guidelines are not law but the CPUTR's is law.

If one breaks the law, what would one expect to happen?

yes, one would have to face the consequences...

AC

TS have had over a year to bring prosecutions under the UCPD and the CPUTR but have not done so. The OFT should now look at the weight of complaints and instruct TS to enforce the law as they are the enforcement officers for OFT. Although judging by their inaction you would never think so :mad:

Fourth and Final call of the day! And this number doesn't connect now:confused:01903 817550:confused:

But this one does!:D01903 703490:grin:

How do I put WAV files on here? Played her the tune and everything! I think it was the same girl I spoke to earlier?:lol:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hmm, maybe the DCA's have a little down time now people are getting to learn of their tactics! And are looking for some up to date legally enforceable information!!:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hmm, maybe the DCA's have a little down time now people are getting to learn of their tactics! And are looking for some up to date legally enforceable information!!:D

That is a myth which was created to fool poor DCA staff that they were going to one day get a fully enforceable debt :lol::lol::lol:

Life's a bitch aint it :D

TS have had over a year to bring prosecutions under the UCPD and the CPUTR but have not done so. The OFT should now look at the weight of complaints and instruct TS to enforce the law as they are the enforcement officers for OFT. Although judging by their inaction you would never think so :mad:

STATUTORY INSTRUMENT 2008 NO. 1277

THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008

PART 4

ENFORCEMENT

Duty to enforce

19.—(1) It shall be the duty of every enforcement authority to enforce these Regulations.

(2) Where the enforcement authority is a local weights and measures authority the duty referred to in paragraph (1) shall apply to the enforcement of these Regulations within the authority’s area."

What are Trading Standards doing then?

TS are mainly funded by Council Tax!

At the end of the day, if the Trading Standards Service(s) will not carry out their 'DUTY', then they should all be sacked. IMO, TS is an outdated outmoded service, set up to help, advise business. But, what about the consumer?

Which? August 2009:

"Consumers not PM's priority?

Which? Demands government puts consumer first

Which has demanded that the Prime Minister explain why the Role of Minister for Consumer Affairs has been watered down".

I personally have been very concerned for some years now, at the manner in which it appears that TS water down consumer complaints!

The government cannot play with the eloctorate, they are not fools!

AC

Oh, we have 18 guests at present.

I realise that probably some 'MAY' not be able to fully comprehend the complex wording in the CPUTR's.

Therefore and for the avoidance of doubt, I have put into simple clear layman's terms, that possibly the average DCA will be able to understand; hopefully.

THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008:

Possible aggressive practices

A debt collector pressurises existing borrowers/debtors to repay a debt,

for example, by contacting debtors at unreasonable times (such as late

at night) or at unreasonable locations (such as at work when they have

been requested not to). This could amount to harassment, coercion or

undue influence. (Timing, persistence, nature and location, exploitation

of circumstances – this might amount to exploitation of the imbalance of

power between the creditor and debtor, as well as of the specific

circumstances of the debtor)

A debt collector threatens consumers with recovery of money by bailiffs

for unenforceable debts. This could amount to harassment, coercion or

undue influence. (Exploitation of circumstances and threat to take action

which cannot legally be taken).

AC

Edited by angry cat
error

Dont even get me going on this..

I have taken them on and all the way to the top and got nowhere.

They do not have the funds and knowledge to take on any company.

All they want to do is send a 17 year old into a pub or shop to buy fags and booze and get there stats up!!

HAK

Tsk, those silent calls are soooooooooooo infuriating, especially when it's a blocked number (141 prior to dialling):D

:!:Easily got around with the relevant software and cash some have, esp the local plod:!:

Safest bet is to have your number permanently witheld with your phone supplier, then to if you wish to 'release it' dial 1470 prior to the number;)

Link failed oops! Techno phobe!!

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Cancel Link didn't work!!

Dont even get me going on this..

I have taken them on and all the way to the top and got nowhere.

They do not have the funds and knowledge to take on any company.

All they want to do is send a 17 year old into a pub or shop to buy fags and booze and get there stats up!!

HAK

That is not what they are paid for though, HAK!

AC

Perhaps, in the spirit of fairness, CAGGERS should not be making harrassing 'phone calls. Perhaps they should make the call only after receiving a call. This way the DCA cannot say they are being harrassed unfairly as it would simply be a case of like-for-like. The fact that someone dutifully returns the call (as requested) and choses to have a tune playing (loudly) in the background is not unfair? Perhaps a suitable WAV file can be provided to CAGGERS to enable consistency. As DCAs exercise consistency in their approach, can we not help CAGGERs to rspectfully do the same thing...?;)

HAK, I fully understand your frustration, as I have experienced similar.

The point is though, if they (TS) cannot do the job that they are paid to do, they should have their funding removed and/or, be sacked.

I have seen TS, hot on the tails of people selling dodgy goods at Boot Fairs but they will not do a thing about the Banks, nor DCA's.

I can see a revolution on the horizon, started by the 'Fed-Up' British Consumer.

We pay our Council Tax, that funds Trading Standards wihtin each authority but they (TS) will not do their job!?

AC

When debts are passed on to DCA's they only pay a fraction of the price for. A few pence in the pound. They then hound you down like a dog for the full sum. I don't if it is possible or if such a procedure or law exists so that we could by law put the DCA's to strict proof on how much they bought the debt for and then pay only that.

Of course I wouldn't mind paying for the odd stamp here and there:D as an extra.

I really am getting a bit p'd off now at how some seem to make this out to be harrassment of Marlin :mad:

Yes we've had a bit of a laugh with the playing of the Billy Ocean song etc..

But we saw for ourselves the treatment that debtors get off them & how they have complete lack of human decency for anyone they ring up.

Being able to ring them up & give them a piece of our minds (as the general public) is perfectly ok & there is no law against it.

You cross the line if you threaten harm to them etc...

But like i say - ring them up by all means to voice your displeasure.

It should be encouraged as far as im concerned :mad:

When debts are passed on to DCA's they only pay a fraction of the price for. A few pence in the pound. They then hound you down like a dog for the full sum. I don't if it is possible or if such a procedure or law exists so that we could by law put the DCA's to strict proof on how much they bought the debt for and then pay only that.

Of course I wouldn't mind paying for the odd stamp here and there:D as an extra.

There must be SOME WAY to do this.......maybe SAR the oringnal lender ???

Edited by Beck1968
opps

Beck

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. one is by the Sword. The other is by Debt."

Barclaycard PPI Refund £4300:whoo:

Barclaycard = Mexican Stand Off

TSB = Mexican Stand Off

Santander = :mad2: MungyPup is coming to get yahh :mad2:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks